'comic' con?

jamie1138

• Moderators

They've had artists etc in the past doing sketches n stuff so just keep an eye out for any announcements.

Really the focus is always on the guests in the "film" part though, there's never been a massive comic representation other than a few guests and the stalls etc, but there's usually something.

Maybe they could get guests who were both comic and film guests such as writer David S. Goyer or producer Avi Arad...Frank Miller would be cool.

974129[/snapback]

cool names But here's the best one

Stan Lee

stan the man?

now,here's the thing...

this fella hasn't 'contributed' in over thirty(?) years and yet people still seem to hold him in some kind of god-like reverance...

sure,he co-created some of the defining icons of the modern superhero genre,but that was a long time ago... and he has done nothing at all since to justify the rabid fan worship he seems to generate.

i watched the FF movie earlier,funnily enough.

it was pretty good.

stan the man?

now,here's the thing...

this fella hasn't 'contributed' in over thirty(?) years and yet people still seem to hold him in some kind of god-like reverance...

sure,he co-created some of the defining icons of the modern superhero genre,but that was a long time ago... and he has done nothing at all since to justify the rabid fan worship he seems to generate.

i watched the FF movie earlier,funnily enough.

it was pretty good.

974870[/snapback]

Stop right there dude!!!! The man created the Marvel Universe!!!!! Nuff Said!!!!

/stepping into the viewaskewniverse for a minute...

yes,that's correct,but...

do car enthusiasts and top shelf car magazines like max power obsess over pictures of the model t ford and early forms of motor transportation?

i doubt that henry ford barely registers in the minds of most hot-rodders and boy racers,these days?

and it must be the same with stan lee and the like-jerry siegel and joe shuster,sure,they created the templates... but a score of other talented and not so talented (john byrne,i'm talking about you!) have helped to develop and refine the basic concepts,in some cases wayyy beyond what the initial creators would have ever dared imagine.

i'm not dissing the like of lee,kirby,simon and siegel and shuster...

they were pioneers of thier time... for a moment.

but take a creator like steve spielberg,who churns out one great piece of work after another...consistently different from the previous... and compare him to stan lee,whose creative spurt really only lasted ten-fifteen years?

and didn't stan lee also create some right old s***e,too?

a super-hero vigilante whose day-job was a bin-man???

Edited by jamie1138

do car enthusiasts and top shelf car magazines like max power obsess over pictures of the model t ford and early forms of motor transportation?

Some car enthusiasts, yes, MaxPower readers probably not. And you're talking of items 100 years old. Let's look back more on the 35 years or so you're saying since Stan Lee was relevant. There are plenty of car enthusiasts who are still enthralled and fascinated by things like Shelby AC Cobras, Ford GT40s, original Mustangs, Jensen Interceptors, Ferrri 250s and many more examples of 60s and early 70s motoring.

i doubt that henry ford barely registers in the minds of most hot-rodders and boy racers,these days?

974945[/snapback]

Given that it's been nearly 60 years since Henry Ford died and nearly 80 since he designed a car, it's no great surprise.

Given that "most hot-rodders and boy racers" don't constitute anything like the total demographic of the car enthusiast, it's also a bit irrelevant.

agreed,but it's also fair to say that the popular modern day interpretations of lee and kirbys creations bear very little resembelance to the characters they created back in the day...

whay does noboby regard owen paul as one of the great singer/songwriters... because he only ever wrote one decent song. ever.

same with stan lee...he created some characters,a long time ago,but did nothing to shape them into the the iconic media icons they are today.

and hey! if he hadn't come up with them,i'm sure somebody else would have...

make way for kid arachnid!

Edited by jamie1138

Maybe they could get guests who were both comic and film guests such as writer David S. Goyer or producer Avi Arad...Frank Miller would be cool.

974129[/snapback]

What he said.

Add to those 3 Steve Niles (30 Days of Night, soon to be a movie...) and Mike Mignola (Hellboy) and we're done.

agreed,but it's also fair to say that the popular modern day interpretations of lee and kirbys creations bear very little resembelance to the characters they created back in the day...

whay does noboby regard owen paul as one of the great singer/songwriters... because he only ever wrote one decent song. ever.

same with stan lee...he created some characters,a long time ago,but did nothing to shape them into the the iconic media icons they are today.

and hey! if he hadn't come up with them,i'm sure somebody else would have...

make way for kid arachnid!

975025[/snapback]

Whoa!!! Owen Paul may well have only written one good song, but, Stan Lee created the Fantastic Four, Spider-Man, the X-Men, the Incredible Hulk, Iron Man, Ant-Man, Thor, the Avengers, Dr Strange, Daredevil, Nick Fury, the Silver Surfer as well as hundreds of villains between them and he also brought back Captain America and the Sub-Mariner and made them relevant to a new generation. He didn't just "build the first car", he created an entire world filled with rich emotional charectors that have stood the test of time. Diverse in appearance, gifts and curses, these heroes may well have changed since Lee's day, but, their essence has always been faithfull to his original concepts.

Yes I would love to meet Jeph Loeb, Mark Miller, Brian Michael Bendis, J. Michael Straczynski, Judd Winick, Peter David and Ed Brubaker, but Stan is, was and always will be the Man!!!! :YAHOO: NUFF SAID!!!!

They call it that because, like I said, they DO have comic guests, but the film part is usually catered for better, that's all! :)

974298[/snapback]

Oh, and by the way, I hope you dont work for Showmasters, because that little excuse is LAME!!!!! Movie guests draw more money especially since comic guests dont normally charge for their signiture. That is the REAL reason!!!!

id like to cynthia cummins come back as i missed her at gmex

she will be at another london event this month :blush:

we need SW artists for Empire Day or LFACC :yoda:

Edited by Skylover

somebody call jan duursma!

she's gagging for it.

-the chance to attend a fan event in the UK,that is.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

still no comics announcement tonight :vader:

They call it that because, like I said, they DO have comic guests, but the film part is usually catered for better, that's all! :)

974298[/snapback]

Oh, and by the way, I hope you dont work for Showmasters, because that little excuse is LAME!!!!! Movie guests draw more money especially since comic guests dont normally charge for their signiture. That is the REAL reason!!!!

considering its SM who go to the expense of getting guests, and paying accomodation, et cetera, don't you think they have a right to charge??

if not, then go stalk the celebs whose autos you want, but they do this for our convenience.

and what guest is gonna be willin to sit for 8-10 hours, signin autos, for ungrateful little brats without SOME kind of fee to cover their own inconvenience?? few of the same ppl goin might charge for their autos if you find them on the street, or at a film, or somethin, but thats partially because they can actually ESCAPE.

even comic guests are unlikely to be willin to sit so long without a fee to cover the day's work - and have you considered that some of those invited might decide that they don't want to be involved anyway, regardless of money?

corresponding via email with dave dorman,the premier and lucasfilm sanctioned star wars artist,he tells me he would love to attend a UK based convention event.

showmasters!

are you reading this?

Edited by jamie1138