• Fog
    • Hannibal
    • Silence of the Lambs
    • Freddy V Jason
    • Jason X
    • Texas Chainsaw Masacre
    • Other

Hmm, probably Alien.

Not sure I would class Silence or Hannibal as horror though,, more so pychological thriller but Lector himself is a horror icon so I can see why they are there (although Hannibal was no where near as creepy as Silence).

Edited by nicky

My favourite horror film of all time has to be romero's original (1968) Night of the Living Dead. The suggestion that the end of the world would begin like this was terrifying, and the characters are all so interesting in how they deal with their situation. It still holds up today and is immensely watchable. And if you want to read it as a political or messgae movie, then that's cool too.

Other faves include the 1933 "Invisible Man", Claude Raines creates such menace, genuis and pathos with just the use of his voice.

And who can forget "Psycho", again, just so watchable, it moves along and doesn't waste a minute of screen time.

Finally, if you haven't seen them, you should watch "Night of the Demon" and "Night of the Eagle", two films which are so superb in their suggestion of the supernatural without actually showing it. They both debate belief vs. disbelief in witchcraft & "black magic". Wicker man, too...

There's just too many to list :jason:

Other faves include the 1933 "Invisible Man", Claude Raines creates such menace, genuis and pathos with just the use of his voice.

954847[/snapback]

I always saw that as sf and never as horror, at least Hollow Man was definately sf. I think in terms of the old James Whale Universal horrors, The Bride of Frankenstein was best although is that really horror, or is it sf?

I quite like the grudge - but the film that scares me most is ET - but that doesn't classify as a horror lol but still thats my scariest film.

the grudge scared me so much the night i could not go to sleep until 6 in the morning and i was scared when i went to be

• 1 month later...

I like a lot of horror movies, but my favourite is Evil Dead II. Sam Raimi and Bruce Campbell are at their best. It's just got an incredible atmosphere about it. It's disturbing, it's hilarious, but mostly it's just very, very original. Raimi's crazy direction, Campbell's crazy acting and the general insanity of things going on just combine for an amazing effect. Ash fighting his own severed hand like an old Tom & Jerry cartoon, his headless girlfriend dancing around outside the window, a roomful of furniture laughing at him because he fell through a chair. Just... incredible.

• 3 weeks later...

Alien is a classic, and caters for both horror and sci-fi audiences. It's basically a sci-fi take on the "haunted house" sub-genre, and concerns the crew of The Nostromo responding to a signal from an unidentified beacon. One of the crew brings something on board and the terror begins from there.

Please, watch Alien. And then Aliens, the sequal directed by James Cameron.

• 2 weeks later...
Please, watch Alien. And then Aliens, the sequal directed by James Cameron.
I saw Aliens first in 1988 and then Alien the year after. If I watched Alien first I might have been cautious watching Aliens cos Alien was pretty scary for a 12 yr old.