Starwars TV Series

Alx

From www.bbc.co.uk

One of the producers of the Star Wars movies has confirmed that there will be a spin-off show made for television.

Speaking to BBC Radio 1's Newsbeat, Rick McCallum said it was hoped there

would be at least 100 episodes.

A

star wars belongs on the big screen.

i do believe george lucas said that once in an interview.

hey,it's just my feelings...i buy the comic books,s*** as they all are...

no doubt i'll watch the tv show... and buy the dvd...and the books...

I think I will keep on open mind on this. People thought the same about Buffy and Stargate, I know they aren't even in the same league as Star Wars, but am willing to give it a try for a few episodes.

hey,it's just my feelings...i buy the comic books,s*** as they all are...

Why buy them if you don't like them? No one is forcing you to. I buy the SW comics, always have, always loved them, been a long time poster on the Dark Horse Comics forums, so I can't see the point in you buying them if you don't like them, then complaining about them. Exactly what would make them better in your opinion?

As for the TV series, there will be two. The recent announcement at the Empire awards has been well known in the SW community for about a year, in fact since Celebration III in Indianapolis, April 2005, which I was at. There will be a live TV series which all the current fuss is about, and also a CGI tv series set during the Clone Wars but not linked to the Clone Wars cartoon as far as we know.

I have a lot of hope about the Star Wars TV series. I don't agree with the "SW belongs on the big screen" even if GL did say it himself. If that was the case, why is he going to put himself into writing and producing them, something he has said he hates? SW is adaptable to most media - fiction, comics, television, computer games, etc. It works as long as certain elements are kept true, and its the skill of the people bringing it to the various media that make or break a SW endeavour, not the fact that SW is not on the big screen.

The future of SW is quite safe for the moment, I'd rather be happy than whinge.

hi timb,

please don't take it that i'm complaining about star wars continuing in that way...

there are many great things about the medium of television and if they can match the quality of a show like 'firefly',then i am in no doubt that it will be a storming success.

but i'm just worried it will be another stargate... going on and on and on,long after the main 'stars'-richard dean anderson(!!!),and the like-have left the show...

but we'll see,won't we.

as for the comics,again,it's all about the quality... how often does the expanded universe come up with inferior and pale imitations of existing characters and situations... and the art on a lot of the comics is unbearable.

but again,it's just my opinion i'm putting across...whinging is something else entirely.

and as for george lucas comments,what he said twenty-odd years ago may not be particularly relevant nowadays,but it certainly goes to show that he doesn't have a clue what he's on about half the time and is clearly making it up as he goes along.

ps,love your little icon,but doesn't gandalf say 'you shall not pass'?

Edited by jamie1138

Hey jamie1138 :blink:

Sorry if I came down a little hard on you lol, wasn't meant to sound that way ;)

See, I have been a pro-DHC person for so long, and I get on well with the artists, writers and people who run DHC, that I like to know when they are going wrong in other people's views. As always, art is a matter of opinion, but do you get the more recent comics? Republic, Empire and Tales have now ended, but new series such as Knights of the Old Republic, Rebellion and soon to be released Legacy are going to make excellent replacements - with artists like Jan Duursema, Doug Wheatley, Brian Ching and Brandon Badeaux all fronting the new series and more. I think their art is some of the best in the comics industry, DHC have been amassing creative talent for quite some time, and the current crop of SW comic artists are some of the best IMHO. Well, it's down to personal opinion, so if they don't impress you, I guess I can't convince you lol :unsure:

The EU does have a lot of catching up like you said in terms of great characters, and sometimes does lack that special quality, but I think there have been some good ones along the way - Aayla Secura was well developed in the comics before GL took a fancy and stuck her in Ep II, and Quinlan Vos gets a mention in Ep III! And there is a character called Sunber in the new Empire series who looks to be set for great things in Rebellion, especially with his link to a certain farmboy - I won't spoil it ;)

I know what you mean about TV series, there is always a potential for it to be a stinker, but tho Ep I was a let down for many people (it wasn't so much for me, I understood nothing can replace 20 or so years of love for a film made in the late 70s, plus TPM was aimed at kids/families like ANH was in the 70s, and shouldn't be judged via "adult" standards), I think a certain standard has been kept by LF, and I see it continuing in the series. I would love to see a "Band of Brothers" style episode based around clones, now that would be cool. We'll see, we have at least 2 years till we know lol.

I can't remember where the avatar was from lol, but yeah, if it were exact it would be a little different :lol:

This is my sig image btw - I add in here since the sig seems to have images/links switched off

sig_ffukN_timb.jpg

Bounty Hunter - :P

FON - I heard that rumour too, that Daniel Logan will reprise his role as Boba Fett, and Boba would be the lead through the series, we'll have to see if that sticks or not. I did hear that C-3P0 and R2-D2 will be on for appearances, though Kenny Baker doesn't seem to have been asked to appear according to the Lancashire Evening Post (the local paper near Preston where Kenny lives)

Edited by timb

• Showmasters Admin
I have a lot of hope about the Star Wars TV series. I don't agree with the "SW belongs on the big screen" even if GL did say it himself. If that was the case, why is he going to put himself into writing and producing them, something he has said he hates? SW is adaptable to most media - fiction, comics, television, computer games, etc. It works as long as certain elements are kept true, and its the skill of the people bringing it to the various media that make or break a SW endeavour, not the fact that SW is not on the big screen.

941817[/snapback]

and as for george lucas comments,what he said twenty-odd years ago may not be particularly relevant nowadays,but it certainly goes to show that he doesn't have a clue what he's on about half the time and is clearly making it up as he goes along.

944389[/snapback]

I agree that what GL said 20 years ago is completely irrelivent now. But Janie I don't agree it goes to show he does know what he's talking about.

Think of what TVs were like 20 years a go. We now have widescreen TVs, most are a lot bigger than they were, we have digital TV, and HDTV on the way. Also think about the difference between sci-fi TV in the 70s compared with now. With the advent of cheaper and quicker CGI, sci-fi TV today gives some films a run for their money. Back in the 70s were everything had to be done by modelling/camera trickery etc. It was a money and time consuming thing to make sci-fi. You just couldn't make good film quality effects in a week (which is what you'd need to do with a TVv series).

Basically TV is very different today than it was then. I think at the time he said it, it was a valid statement, he didn't want his dream to be watered down like that. But now he can see that TV has come on far enough that a TV show can be done and done well.

cheers,fellas!

i pretty much acnowledge everything you're saying...

i do love what jan durrsama has done in the star wars comics even though i don't like her style-and that davide fabbre bloke is a very good artist and the colouring on his latest work is great.

but there have been some awful star wars stories,i remember one with princess leia which was bloody dreadful... 'river of sorrow' or something.

as for the tv show,sure...i'll keep an open mind,who knows,maybe with guys like jason involved(see my previous post)we may have something to crow about.

• 6 months later...