Your Collection

Bounty Hunter

Just to change the subject slightly but still on the same theme, am I the only one that photographs the celeb with marker in hand during the act of signing? I always do this as I never know when I may have to prove that my item is genuine but I rarely see anyone else doing this.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the kind words, guys. Much appreciated.

And as for Dannyboy, I try to cover all my signings with photos or even video. I publish a monthly newsletter, aptly named 'Bounty Hunter Capture Log', that can be downloaded completely free from my website. It contains the reports and photos from the signings I do.

So, yes, whenever possible, I try to get a photo of the actors whilst signing.

at the end of the day its all a matter of trust you can provide photos,certificates,be uacc registered which can all be some form of safeguard but at the end of the day i will only buy from 2 dealers in the uk(and yes they are the big 2 although i do buy from a couple abroad as well)as there are so many forgers out there it comes down to who you think are geniune you can get a feel as to who is trustworthy i think we have all been caught with fakes at one time or another but experience is the best form of learning TRUST YOUR INSTINCTS :P

i have seen mr dermul and team at numerous events with armfulls of stuff to be signed i think it is wrong for people to imply he sells fakes/forgeries just because he has bought a few items from ebay that are deemed to be forgeries doesn't mean that this is the nature of his business i'm sure everybody has made mistakes :P

Hiya all,

just my two eurocents I wanted to add.

I've known Mark for quite some time and have worked with him on many occasions (I organise a show myself).

Mark personnally knows an impressive amount of Star Wars actors & actresses (not to mention the people who were part of the crew). I know for a fact that his reputation helps him secure certain guests (i.e. if Mark says a show is good, the actors will go there, purely based on his saying). I for myself witnessed that from an agent who is reputed not to be the easiest around (no names will be given and, no, it wasn't JCB).

I know he's very busy and that the bountyhunter thing takes up way too much of his time. I also know it is done for fanpurposes (and maybe just to get a little ego-boost ;) ), as he himself is definitely one of the biggest SW-fans I've ever met.

So, I really think you shouldn't be worried : the autographs Mark sells are the real deal.

Best,

Mastersoftheshow

I admit ive been tempted by a few items on ebay but when someone says that a certain seller 'sells only fakes and nothing else', I would visit their auctions and they look so genuine I wouldnt be able to tell if they are snide or not, also, why doesnt ebay close these guys down? Im assuming no-one actually reports the dishonest sellers so they keep on trading :clap:

I have come to the conclusion that a multisigned poster or a prop is a much more worthy showpiece than a file full of 8x10s bought on ebay. Getting the 8x10 IN PERSON makes it a much better talking point when showing them off to friends... saying 'Ebay' just sounds bad.

Greedo, drop me a line at bounty.hunter@skynet.be and I'll explain what a Sith Signing is. You can also simply visit my site.

Thanks all for the kind words. It's nice to see some people appreciate the effort we put into the Bounty Hunter. Also, Mr Flinty, please do not call me 'Mr Dermul' in future. It makes me feel old! 'Mark' is more than enough. Or Bounty Hunter.

Thanks, guys.

• Moderators

I don't think anyone is questioning the authenticity of the items Mark provides which come from listed shows, where the source of the autograph is made very clear to the customer. I too have seen these items being signed at shows, and there is no question about the service being provided or the authenticity of the resultant merchandise.

However, there is an issue with items purchased on ebay, from known or suspected forgers, being sold in the "Sith Signings" as "From the collection of Mark Dermul". This is misleading to the purchaser in a number of ways. You are essentially buying cheap items and using the trust in your name built up through your convention based signings to pass off these questionable autographs at a profit. Saying they are from your collection implies some personal knowledge of their history, when in fact all you know is the name of the seller you bought them from, often a name that is on many people's ebay blacklists.

As for using a UACC member to authenticate items, this is questionable practice at best. Saying an autograph looks authentic is one thing, but when you add to that the fact it was sold off at a very low price, by a seller who is known to sell large numbers of fakes, and has a stock of autographs that is seemingly beyond belief, that authenticity soom falls into question again. There are some very good forgers out there, it is basic practice and common sense not to risk buying anything from people who regularly deal in forgeries.

If you are to continue this practice (which I hope you are not) it needs to be much more open, so the collector can make the same educated decision you made when you purchased the item. You need to say where it came from, not just say its from your collection, stick your own coa with it, take the money and run. When I sell an item I originally bought on ebay, I always include the original COA from the original seller, and write a full history of the piece on my own COA. That way the collector knows where it came from when they buy it, just as I did.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I would like to stress that this only applies to a small minority of items sold through Mark's site. I believe most of the stuff he has sold is genuine, including 100% of the items from conventions, and I regularly purchase these items myself. The problems relate only to some items sold through the Sith Signings, from big name stars as I recall.

Remember people, ask questions, do your homework, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is....

Graham

I don't think anyone is questioning the authenticity of the items Mark provides which come from listed shows, where the source of the autograph is made very clear to the customer. I too have seen these items being signed at shows, and there is no question about the service being provided or the authenticity of the resultant merchandise.

However, there is an issue with items purchased on ebay, from known or suspected forgers, being sold in the "Sith Signings" as "From the collection of Mark Dermul". This is misleading to the purchaser in a number of ways. You are essentially buying cheap items and using the trust in your name built up through your convention based signings to pass off these questionable autographs at a profit. Saying they are from your collection implies some personal knowledge of their history, when in fact all you know is the name of the seller you bought them from, often a name that is on many people's ebay blacklists.

As for using a UACC member to authenticate items, this is questionable practice at best. Saying an autograph looks authentic is one thing, but when you add to that the fact it was sold off at a very low price, by a seller who is known to sell large numbers of fakes, and has a stock of autographs that is seemingly beyond belief, that authenticity soom falls into question again. There are some very good forgers out there, it is basic practice and common sense not to risk buying anything from people who regularly deal in forgeries.

If you are to continue this practice (which I hope you are not) it needs to be much more open, so the collector can make the same educated decision you made when you purchased the item. You need to say where it came from, not just say its from your collection, stick your own coa with it, take the money and run. When I sell an item I originally bought on ebay, I always include the original COA from the original seller, and write a full history of the piece on my own COA. That way the collector knows where it came from when they buy it, just as I did.

Anyway, that's my 2 cents. I would like to stress that this only applies to a small minority of items sold through Mark's site. I believe most of the stuff he has sold is genuine, including 100% of the items from conventions, and I regularly purchase these items myself. The problems relate only to some items sold through the Sith Signings, from big name stars as I recall.

Remember people, ask questions, do your homework, and if it looks too good to be true it probably is....

Graham

Graham

could you email me please or give me a ring on 0208 529 9353

Mick

Hi All

I'm 100% sure that if anyone has any doubt over any items they have purchased off Mark, then I'm sure he is willing to refund you in full. The ebay days have long gone and I know Mark will not fall foul of ebay again. If anyone has any problems with anything they have bought off mark e-mail him directly as I'm sure he'll sort it out for you.

Jason

• 5 weeks later...

forgive me for sounding ignorant but i quickly read through some posts in this thread, but has anybody got the same poster as i have started getting signed? its a limited edition silver and black embossed poster which came out with the re-release of the old trilogy. think it was limited to 2500 worldwide so i thought it was worth getting.

so far iv only managed to get;

carrie fisher

paul blake

warwick davies

damn dave prowse and his prices :angry:

J.