just got back from Empire day

FON

Just got back and would like to say a big thank you to Jason Joiner for putting on this event. With hopefully more Empire days to come. I spoke with Jason for quite a while and he's not in this event for the money but for the love of it. A fantastic selection of new guests who were a great pleasure to meet. A few didn't understand why we even wanted their autograph.

I did bump into most of the guests in the service station about an hour before the show started and found it funny that Dean was showing the older guys how to use sharpies :D

I spoke to Jason about future possible guests and he came accross as a fan more then a show organiser.

Also had a great time meeting many fellow forum member including the legend Mark and Micheal Nielson amost many others.

Also a big thank you to mark for the brithday present, it did mean a lot man.

see you all at the next empire day and don't forget to keep posting on this forum.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yer i had a great time at Empire Day and the guets were fantastic.

I got all my Bond photos signed and it was great to hear about there experince on working on the bond films.

Thanks to Jason and all the organisers for putting on the show! :D

I just got home too

Really good event plenty of new bits from great dealers at damn good prices.

I spent far too much..

I spoke at length with Jason and he mentioned a few new guests he had in the works hopefuly which were very interesing.

Really nice display that he put on from the kurtz joiner archive and some amazing candid photos from the filming of the movies. !

Another Fantastic event and plenty of new guests.. had to start on the 3rd page of my atograph book...

I thought Jason had a very good display and the photos were great to look at, perhaps jason/kurtz could one day publish his collection of stills in a book???? As soon as I ;eft I only thought this and had wished I had asked him about doing that.

so question to Jason, how about all those stills published in one or two books

Jason

I thought Jason had a very good display and the photos were great to look at, perhaps jason/kurtz could one day publish his collection of stills in a book???? As soon as I ;eft I only thought this and had wished I had asked him about doing that.

Jason

931011[/snapback]

Doubt it... licencing problems I would expect.

And theres 1000's of photos that gary took over the films.

Only a handful have been seen at the conventions and they are all realy interesting.

Jason

931011[/snapback]

Doubt it... licencing problems I would expect.

And theres 1000's of photos that gary took over the films.

Only a handful have been seen at the conventions and they are all realy interesting.

931038[/snapback]

Yes even the few that were on display today were of great interest. Don't know about licencing problem as I thought Kurtz/joiner were the owner of these...I maybe wrong please correct me if so.

jason

hi all,

i enjoyed myself at the event, thanks to Paul R im in your photo of Tommy Weldon, well thats my back.

I parked next to Dean and Tommy and didnt realise who they were till I got in there.

Since I hadnt been to one for a few years I thought it was still in Wolsely Hall and waited there for ages till saw Warwick going to the other place. I do think sigange could have been better.

I thought the guests were great, I thought Salo was a bit bemused after writing my name on the photo, I had to tell him to write his on it too

I thought there could have been a few more stalls though

I enjoyed meeting the guests and hope to meet more at subsequent Empire Days keep up the great job jason.

I loved the photos from the archive.

The only bit that peed me off was the guy who wanted 41 items signing !? !?!!

and some guy name dropping to anyone who stood by him, oh well eh

Heres to the next one

Obiton

well done... hang on,what am i saying???

well done to the organisers for yesterdays event...

okay,there were still a few minor problems that need smoothing out... the location for starters-holding the q&a session in an echoey sports hall is a definite no-no...

great to put a few faces to names,good to meet you guys and big,big thanks to mark-the real star of the show!

with regards to the photo situation... i don't see any problem with the copyright issues.

as i understand the copyright laws,as gary kurtz took the photos,he is the copyright holder of the images... and should have no problem publishing them in a book... george lucas retains the copyright to the photos as an intellectual property... or something.

looking forward to next time!

...and furthermore... i think there needs to be a bit more 'fan interaction',along the lines of a quiz or gameshow or something... maybe the organisers could stump up a few prizes or something...

there has to be more to it than just the rabid autograph hunters,surely?

nice people,thought they are!

what does everyone else think?

sadly,the lowest point of the day was the little fella who hates the phantom menace,bless him... i think he was a bit tired and ready for his tea...

I wasn't looking forward to finding the place and even through it took over 3 hours from cardiff to get there it was easy to find even through I passed to entrance to the lesiure centre the first time round.

I think the sports hall was fitting for this kind of event, as its not like collectormania or LLFC. And to be honest I'm glad its not as big an event as those as it was great being able to talk to a guest for 5 to 10 mins if you wanted to.

I did suggest moving the event to cardiff in the future just to make it easier for me to get to as the 4am wake up call was a bit of a shock to the system.

Jason Joiner did say that if anyone could suggest ways of improving this event or could suggest new names or put him in contact with new guest, then to contact him or bring up the subject on these forums as he wants this event to do well as most of us on here also want it to.

I do have one final question......Whens the next one.

Fon

sorry forgot to add, I couldn't comment on the talks as I had to be back by 3pm so I was dissaointed that I missed them. Again had the event been held in cardiff then I wouldn't have. :D

Fon

Hi all,

I was back home around midnight, went straight to bed, got up at 6am to go back to work and finally I'm home in front of my computer to add my comments to this thread.

First: big thanks to Michel, Gregory (Mazzic) and Jimmy who joined me and helped me out with all the autographs. Coundn't have pulled of such a big order without you guys. You're the best.

Second: it was truly fantastic meeting all these new faces. I had been mailing back and forth with Derek Lyons for quite a while now, but the in-person meeting takes the prize. What a gentleman! So enthusiastic! Lovely chap. Hope to work with him again soon. Each and every guest star was courteous, kind and helpful. It was charming to see some of them looking on in awe that they were asked to add their signature to a poster that already has 'big names' on them. They couldn't even remember their character names... :-) But they were very friendly and talkative. I enjoyed it tremendously.

Third: finally got to meet some of my good friends which I haven't met in a while - Jason (SM), Jason (FON), Jamie1138, Lee Cooper, Dan, Graham, HR Nielsen, Mick (MSPG), ... and if I'm forgetting anyone, forgive me. So many faces in one day! It was truly fun. it's always a pleasure to speak with you guys, even if time is somewhat short. All work an no play :-)

Fourth: Great display of props. Jason, would you consider selling me that Hoth vest? I love it! I would wear it with pride when I go Hoth Hopping next year in April.

Fifth: When is the next one? I'll be there!

PS. I'll have a special update with loads of photos ready in a couple of days. You will be able to download it from my site soon.

I did suggest moving the event to cardiff in the future just to make it easier for me to get to as the 4am wake up call was a bit of a shock to the system.

931360[/snapback]

4AM wow ... why ?

I drove up from Near bristol and got there in plenty of time for earlybird and I did two pick ups and stopped for a £3 coffee at a service station. I awoke at 6:45 and took me 30 mins to do my hair !

931360[/snapback]

4AM wow ... why ?

I drove up from Near bristol and got there in plenty of time for earlybird and I did two pick ups and stopped for a £3 coffee at a service station. I awoke at 6:45 and took me 30 mins to do my hair !

We didn't leave until 5am and called in the service station at juction 24 on M25 for breakfast. I've never been to cheshunt before so just wanted to get there in plenty of time.

I do remember the days SM did starwars shows in the Angel hotel, it was at this event I first met guests such as Jeremy Bulloch and Dave Prowse, This was about 8 years agao when Dave Prowse charged £5 on your item and £10 for a signed photo and your item was then free with it.....Those were the days.

Jason

We didn't leave until 5am and called in the service station at juction 24 on M25 for breakfast. I've never been to cheshunt before so just wanted to get there in plenty of time.

I do remember the days SM did starwars shows in the Angel hotel, it was at this event I first met guests such as Jeremy Bulloch and Dave Prowse, This was about 8 years agao when Dave Prowse charged £5 on your item and £10 for a signed photo and your item was then free with it.....Those were the days.

Jason

931451[/snapback]

Showmasters didnt run them back then they were Steves.. he sold his fairs to SM for a year or two after episode one to go persue different things and then bought them back after SM started collectormania at MK as this was now their main focus..

I remember events circa Empireday 2+3 when you could get Jeremy Bullock to sign a photo and 2 personal items all for £5 and Dave Prowse was £5 for a Colour Photo signed or £4 for B+W.. and Doug Bradley would sign a Photo for £4 and then any personal items for FREE ! them were the days.

Jason

931451[/snapback]

Showmasters didnt run them back then they were Steves.. he sold his fairs to SM for a year or two after episode one to go persue different things and then bought them back after SM started collectormania at MK as this was now their main focus..

I remember events circa Empireday 2+3 when you could get Jeremy Bullock to sign a photo and 2 personal items all for £5 and Dave Prowse was £5 for a Colour Photo signed or £4 for B+W.. and Doug Bradley would sign a Photo for £4 and then any personal items for FREE ! them were the days.

931511[/snapback]

Did you ever go to the event when it was at the angel Hotel, I remeber people would que about an hour before it opened. Was steve the guy back in the angel hotel days that used top sell copied videos in the corner

jason

Hi guys,

I haven't got much time at the moment, but I'll talk to you guys very soon. For everybody who couldn't be there (and Lee in particular), here is a shot of the guests at the Q&A (except for Warwick Davis, Peter Burroughs and Terry Sach, who - for some reason - didn't attend the Q&A)

th_75347_ED16.1.jpg

I'll post some more pictures as promised in the next few days!

Cheers fellas, it was nice meetin' y'all! :angel: