GMEX Improvements

DavidB

Also, my other thoughts on re-reading the posts on this thread....

Yes, the food around the local vicinity seemed to be a weigh up between some cheap bars, Starbucks, and that Sainsbury's down the road. What I usually do during cons (it's cheaper and more convenient) is to do a kiddy-like thing and take some form of packed lunch. It may seem rather juvenile, but it's the best option for saving money and ensuring that you have exactly what you want!

Seating space would be excellent, as not every person coming to the cons are able to stand for 6 hours straight. Myself, I'm used to it with my job. But there were very few 'rest' areas where people can just sit and be, and recover from the madness.

Different people want different things to make their experience with the guests memorable for them. Some want a long, in-depth chat about their philosophical beliefs and inner psychological workings. Others just want a photo. Whatever Showmasters do, there are always going to be some disgruntled people (whether it be the fact that they weren't allowed to grope suchandsuch's backside or cut a lock of their hair for their keepsake book, or have more than 3 or 4 autographs to sell on at a later date). I think that the photo option should be down to the individual guests' preferences. The chats obviously have to be restricted due to popularity. It's about maintaining the balance to keep everyone relatively as pleased as possible.

Also, it's down to individual members of the public. If they keep in mind the fact that others have come to enjoy the experience of meeting the guests, and conduct themselves in a considerate manner (i.e. how they themselves would like to be treated), then the whole thing could be a lot more pleasant and memorable for everyone.

I apologise for the length of this Ãœberspiel! And I applaud the ragged few who have bravely soldiered on to the end of the seemingly infinite paragraphs.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would have to say that the isles were a little narrow when it came to the stalls & layout of the dealers, but I quite liked the guests all in a row (just like when LFCC was at Wembley).

The toliets were OK (though a little sparse and often closed) but the man problem was lack of seating and food. Now, this is more to do with the venue than with anything Showmasters can control, so apart from that I think G-Mex is OK at the mo.

As my first convention this was a great experience with the following exceptions:

There seemed to be a lot of wasted space at the back of the hall, donno what was behind the screens but was it really needed?

The talks could have done with beeing longer, I found it shocking how rude the staff came across when they came out and cut of the guests in the middle of stories and questions. I know you neeed to keep to a scedule but more time should be given. I think most of Andy Sarkis who had to appolagise at the end that he only got a few questions after his story because he didn't realise the time was so short.

p.s, well done to Brent Spiner for being the only one I saw to have a sign saying "Posed photos please" Next one I get to he deserves my money and is now high up on my list for that.

pps. £1.50 for a bottle of water . I nearly died.

Wow, I'm amazed how many people thought the space between the stalls was too narrow...I thought there was acres of space, especially compared to MK where we all partake in games called 'sardines' and 'ram me with that buggy one more time and I'll scream', (okay, I made that last one up).

Seriously though, I did think there was ample space to move, it made a refreshing change to be able to actually walk up and down the aisles and see things on display/for sale, rather than the backs of peoples heads.

As most people have said, the guest area definitely needs looking at, it was bloody scary up there, trying to get your VT's, Lord knows how it must have been for those poor crew members to see us lot stampeding toward them.

Also, there does need to be some consistency between crew members.

If only one VT is allowed per person, then that is how it should be throughout, not as it was with us, being told no, in one queue and then seeing someone else handed 2 without question in another. This isn't fair on people at all and will only cause problems.

Also, whoever it was who mentioned about the queues outside, I agree it was a little confusing.

Maybe the signs were on the door at the front of the queues, but if like us, you arrived there when there was a massive queue already, you didn't see those signs at all as you instinctively go to join the back of the queue.

The crew member there didn't ask us which tickets we had and directed us to one queue, and it was only when I overheard someone elses conversation, and told him we had early bird tickets already, that he told us to stand in the other queue where we had lost valuable places.

Whiteboards do need to be kept updated constantly. Maybe all crew on queues/whiteboard updating duty, should have those little radio mike thingies, so they are constantly in touch. Ignore me if they already do lol

Everyone has pretty much covered everything else.

Although I didn't need it, I can see seating was a problem, and did notice people on the floor wherever there was space, so maybe this should be addressed too.

Overall though gripes aside, I did enjoy it, had a good day and met everyone I wanted to, so well done SM's.

I do realise that this was the first, (of many I hope) and that teething problems are inevitable.

Lastly, to the guy complaining about people spending too much time with guests.

I can see where you are coming from, but if someone is talking to you, you are hardly going to stop them dead are you? Especially if they are your idol and you have been dreaming of meeting them until finally, you come face to face with them for the first time.

I know I have been guilty of spending some time chatting with guests before now, but it has never been me carrying the conversation.

I don't know about anyone else, but when I am standing there, talking to this person I have admired for so long...everything around me just disappears and it is just me and them. I am so immersed in the conversation, that I am blinkered to what is going on around me and I'm sorry to say, that includes the rest of the people in the queue behind.

Besides, I have done my fair share of waiting too, (can we say 7 hours to meet one guest), so I'll be damned if I am going to stop talking to them when I finally get the chance. Sorry :)

Printable flyer via website like FX do (So we can help sm promote the event in the area were from)

931825[/snapback]

Yes, and obviously this will depend on cost, but perhaps giving dealers some updated flyers (for the other non-SM fairs they attend) would help promote not just G-Mex, but all of the shows. It was only CM4 which got hge promotion in terms of flyers, I saw them in various film & comic shops in London. So yeah, more flyers or a printable one please.:o

I enjoyed the last event, few points same as everyone really, queing was nuts, far two many little hitlers who were rude when asked questions, toilets were a disgrace,i have a disabled friend who usually comes with me to conventions, i am glad i did not bring him to this, i can't imagine trying to get round with a wheelchair!!.

And the price of ink these days, charging per autograph is shamefull and just an excuse to fleece fans, i know this is showmasters and not the guests, and i understand a charge is needed but come on!!!.

Lots of great guests when you finally got to meet them, and a good selection of stalls, i will try the next event and see if the problems are sorted out.

I'd like the crew party to be at a less expensive bar please :wub: It was weird being sober at a showmasters event, I had no hangover to complain about :(

And I was really impressed how spacious the walkways between stalls were! Even JCB said it was much better than Milton Keynes! :o

Edited by Kell

More guests from specific shows - I was really excited when the first guests were announced as I'm a big Star Trek fan and wanted to meet Avery Brooks but then no other guests who I hadn't already met were there so it wasn't cost effective for me to make the trip up from Exeter.

• Moderators
More guests from specific shows - I was really excited when the first guests were announced as I'm a big Star Trek fan and wanted to meet Avery Brooks but then no other guests who I hadn't already met were there so it wasn't cost effective for me to make the trip up from Exeter.

935451[/snapback]

While I understand that perspective, and I'm sure that's certainly true for a lot of people, it could also have a negative effect i.e. too much Star Trek could put off people that don't like it! It's a tricky situation to try and maintain a balance, but if the 'single' guests are big enough to pull in the crowds then it usually works instead of multiple minor guests.

The only bad thing about MK is that the con is right in the middle of a shopping centre. Last time I went I spent quite a lot on autographs and then I ended ended up having shopping breaks and spending sooooo much money! It was lucky that I had just got the next installment of my loan through!

I prefer GMEX though, probably because it's only an hour and £3 on the bus for me!

Annie.

935451[/snapback]

While I understand that perspective, and I'm sure that's certainly true for a lot of people, it could also have a negative effect i.e. too much Star Trek could put off people that don't like it! It's a tricky situation to try and maintain a balance, but if the 'single' guests are big enough to pull in the crowds then it usually works instead of multiple minor guests.

935452[/snapback]

Just one additional Trek guest who hadn't been before would have done it - say Colm Meaney or Rosalind Chao. I went to Collectormania for William Shatner and Majel Barrett.