GMEX Improvements

DavidB

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

mabie a little less packed with stalls... i could hardly move most of the time. though im not complaining coz i had a great time but for me the stalls just got in the way really beacuse i didn't buy anything! haha!

oh and mabie a bit more spaced out.. the guests i mean b'coz it was really busy up there.

Being allowed to take photographs in the talks would be good, i can understand flash photography not being allowed, but none at all? I dont see the reasoning. Also the talks could have been bigger, as there was plenty of hall not being used and the tickets for the likes of Shanks and Judge, and Andy Serkis disappeared in an instant. Apart from these 2 things, i wouldnt change a thing.

I would consider using more of the hall, or as has been said, spacing the guests out a bit. As having most of them in one long row made it like a free for all on the Saturday Morning.

Hate to think what the crew members thought when the doors opened on Sat morning!!

Apart from that, would'nt change much else, as I thought there was room enough to walk up and down the dealer's aisles.

The one man star wars show as featured in this months Empire

Lost Cast

Aspen Comics

DC

Marvel

Souvenier Guide

Video Wall featuring latest trailer and Music Videos

Charity Auction (with items provided by guests)

843060[/snapback]

Edited by Aspen

I got extremely stressed at the area where people queued up for the guests... I mean, I know there wasn't much room because of the FOUR HUNDRED stalls and the like, but where people crowded around waiting to see the guests it was REALLY crowded...

Maybe a bit more room to move around in... Then I wouldn't be as stressed

B)

If my mum's been with me, she'd have been smoking like a chimney outside 'cos of the crowds...

Yeah well... Can't blame the popularity of the event really...

Luv Lovekicks88 xxXXxx

I got extremely stressed at the area where people queued up for the guests... I mean, I know there wasn't much room because of the FOUR HUNDRED stalls and the like, but where people crowded around waiting to see the guests it was REALLY crowded...

Maybe a bit more room to move around in... Then I wouldn't be as stressed

B)

If my mum's been with me, she'd have been smoking like a chimney outside 'cos of the crowds...

Yeah well... Can't blame the popularity of the event really...

Luv Lovekicks88 xxXXxx

928346[/snapback]

God Huddersfield close

I agree with everyone that said there needed to be more room between the stalls and the guest signing area. On Saturday when the whiteboards weren't being updated you took your life into your own hands trying to find out what numbers the guests were up to.

The other thing I would add would be more seating. The only place was the floor!

most definately more space around guest signing areas as if the guests were more spaced out the entry and exit aisles would be able to cater for the people in wheelchairs and those who have pushchairs.

I don't usually complain about things as I think SM organise great events and have crewed fpr them at past events, but being new to motherhood I found it extremely hard to navigate in the top section, and in the guest aisles It was nigh on impossible to get up and down there, and I was there to purchase autographs from quite a few people but only ended up seeing Andy, and Sala. Bummer mind you they certainly made up for not seeing anyone else B):o

oooh and one more thing the baby change area could have been better we had to make do with a massage table in a very small room in another building not that I'm blaming Showmasters for that.

Elfiexx

Being allowed to take photographs in the talks would be good, i can understand flash photography not being allowed, but none at all? I dont see the reasoning. Also the talks could have been bigger, as there was plenty of hall not being used and the tickets for the likes of Shanks and Judge, and Andy Serkis disappeared in an instant. Apart from these 2 things, i wouldnt change a thing.

928305[/snapback]

I agree. There was lots of space available for more seats.

And perhaps sign posting certain areas of merchandise, I got really lost :D

most definately more space around guest signing areas as if the guests were more spaced out the entry and exit aisles would be able to cater for the people in wheelchairs and those who have pushchairs. 

I don't usually complain about things as I think SM organise great events and have crewed fpr them at past events, but being new to motherhood I found it extremely hard to navigate in the top section, and in the guest aisles It was nigh on impossible to get up and down there, and I was there to purchase autographs from quite a few people but only ended up seeing Andy, and Sala. Bummer mind you they certainly made up for not seeing anyone else  :D  ;)

oooh and one more thing the baby change area could have been better we had to make do with a massage table in a very small room in another building not that I'm blaming Showmasters for that.

Elfiexx

928361[/snapback]

Yes more space around where the guests were sigining. You had all a huge hallll and only a small part of it was being used. Was there a stage as well at the rear of the hall? Other than that, it was a great weekend. Roll on the next one.

Take care,

Moodyblue :gorgeous:

Being allowed to take photographs in the talks would be good, i can understand flash photography not being allowed, but none at all? I dont see the reasoning.

928305[/snapback]

I dont know the ins and outs but I had the convesation about photographs with people at the event and Im pretty sure that your restricted from photography and video and anyform of recording because it is a public performance and is subject to copyright..

Even the people with Press badges were being restricted as far as Im aware so it wasnt just some people.

I agree more space between stalls, more room between stalls and guests.

Better toilets, cheaper carparking or a concession at least.

better lighting

928350[/snapback]

Car parking was not down to Showmasters. I know that even the crew were unhappy with the prices we were being charged. Some of the crew were charged up to £30 to park their cars just to be there. It was obscene.

--------

I agree with what people have said, with the talks being free, it may have been worth trying to make the talk area larger. I can understand the associated problems with this, but I think it would have reduced the problems for people trying to pass for resturant, crew and for the security team.

A

my suggestion isnt specific to GMEX...

ORGANISE THE ENTRY TO TALKS BETTER

it was a complete fiasco for the stargate talk..we had queued for over an hour and then they let people stnading at the back who had tickets go in first so instead of us being near the front we were loads of rows back and to top it off the crew that were dealing with it were extremely rude to us when we tried to put our views across. this isnt the first time ive experienced bad organisation when entering talks at these events. i dont like to moan but it could do with some work.

other than that i think everything was ok...oh one thing might be nice to be given some sort of plan of the hall when we pay so we know straight away where things are eg info desk, guests, toilets and such!

To my mind it made absolute sense having the guests all together but I think that a row on each side of the hall would have been better than a row straight across. That way the talk could have been in the middle.

Just thinking aloud for a moment - would it be worth SM investing in some A/V gear (large screens/projectors etc.) so that the talks could be relayed/repeated at a later stage around the venues such as G-Mex & Earls Court?

Just thinking aloud for a moment - would it be worth SM investing in some A/V gear (large screens/projectors etc.) so that the talks could be relayed/repeated at a later stage around the venues such as G-Mex & Earls Court?

928570[/snapback]

yea ones that i have been to before (not showmasters ones) they had big screens so that everybody could see the people who were talking clearly even if they wern't close enough to see them not on the screen.

1. Organise talk queuing better (crowd for the Saturday SG talk was....well bad)

2. More room in the signing area, it was like only 5 meters from the end of the queues to the stalls, and people would stand around waiting for tickets to progress that little further so they could squeeze in.

3. Update the ticket board (see above)

4. Maybe some staff outside monitoring the queues or better signposting, We had tickets and the only reason we knew that we could queue inside just before 11am was the fact we turned up at 10 :), seeing the huge queue for buying tickets really put the fright up us :)

errr thats it really, otherwise good show.

SM's where was the crowd control?! After attending SM events for a few years now I'm used to crew (and yes I've done it myself before) moving you on if you are in the way. You know what... I kept finding myself standing in the way! Please could you have someone to move me next time! (and yes I'm being serious!)

In all honesty though, I thought it went really well. I'm sure all the little things will ironed out for November

SM's where was the crowd control?! After attending SM events for a few years now I'm used to crew (and yes I've done it myself before) moving you on if you are in the way. You know what... I kept finding myself standing in the way! Please could you have someone to move me next time! (and yes I'm being serious!)

In all honesty though, I thought it went really well. I'm sure all the little things will ironed out for November

928733[/snapback]

:yoda: I'm surprised to find someone that doesn't actually mind being moved...the amount of people who had a go at me when I asked them politely was unreal! But you know they can't really expect anything else when they are standing in the way of people who are paying to see a certain guest taking pics...they need to get a zoom function on their cams! :o

I'm sure, crowd control wise, it will all be ironed out for Novemeber, I think with this being the first of it's kind in Manchester we were ALL trying to get used to a new venue and the new space.

My suggestion would definitely be for seating. There was literally no-where to sit down if you'd been around all the stalls you wanted and met the stars you wanted, and needed to wait for friends. At Earls Court there was a small seating area near the signing area and that helped a lot. There's certainly the space for it at Gmex so why not do it?

I agree that there did seem to be bad space management around the guest signing area, hope that can be improved for next time.

Also more signposts would be great, I didnt know where at first to go for the talk tickets...but maybe I missed the sign. :D It seemed rather hidden though.

The issue of seating I also agree with, there didn't seem to be anywhere but the talk area and cafe to sit down and rest.

It was a great day but those were the issues that came up with my group and I.

Hi

G-Mex1 was a great event which myself, partner and young son thoroughly enjoyed but there were a few things that we thought could make the event even better (I addressed some of these in another post). I know some of these are out of showmasters hands but here goes.

1. More space where the guests were signing, it was a crush at times and quite frightening for the young uns.

2. The queueing system. It was freezing and I am sure with indoor barriers, most of the queue could have been kept indoors by snaking up and down the indoor area.

3. Why not hand out some VT's before people get in (say restrict it to 5 per head) so that people didn't get trampled in the rush

4. Be stricter with the timeslots for the fans but not to the point where an annoying jobsworth ruins the event. The main point I'm trying to make here is that many of us who wanted to take a quick photograph at the signing were penalised because some idiot chatted to a guests for ages (this is a controverisal point but staff should move people on if they are hogging the guests for ages).

5. The toilets were a disgrace - we were stopped from entering one set of toilets and told to use another. By the time we got to the other set, they had also been closed and we were sent back to where we came from. By the time we got back, our son had wet himself.

6. More seating area

7. Stall suggestion - have a stall selling 8x10 frames or other hanging, mounting, storage equipment (it would have made a killing)

8. Stall suggestion - stall aimed at a younger audience as kids get borded and parents promise them with a toy if they behave when they meet the next guest (this would also have made a killing)

9. Update the homepage after announcements are made.

That's all I can think of at the moment, but point 4 above is our main comment.

Keep up the good work, it was a great day and we will be back!

Steve