Great first day

shaqarava

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope he didnt ,and for £20 the lazy git could of got of his bottom !

924976[/snapback]

Who cares if they don't do posed photographs, even for Avery since he was a bit pricey, but for me the most important thing is meeting the guests. I gave him a pack of werther's and it was great seeing it put a smile on his face, regardless of whether he ate them or not, to me that's more imporant that being in a picture with him. Same with all the other guests, it was great giving them all werther's, tommorow i'm gonna go dish out more money and go meet them all again, this time i'm gonna give em jelly babies! :D

Edited by shaqarava

I went yesterday to the G-Mex - I loved it!!!

I was relly lucky with the queues, my friend only had to wait for Andy Serkis - who is a wonderful person and a great guest!

The stalls were fine (didn't really have any problems with them). My only three gripes would be:

1) All the guests were lined up in firing squad style, so it was quite packed in the space between the stalls and the official queues for guests (maybe spread them out?)

2) Signposts? It took me a while to find things like the toilets, resturant etc (but that could be I was very tired)

3) The talks were great! and the space allocated was also great! But I think there needed to be a way to streamline the queues as it was near impossible to enter or leave the resturant area at times.

But on the whole I had a great time (and I kept within my budget - a first!)

Many thanks!

I went yesterday to the G-Mex - I loved it!!!

I was relly lucky with the queues, my friend only had to wait for Andy Serkis - who is a wonderful person and a great guest!

The stalls were fine (didn't really have any problems with them).  My only three gripes would be:

1) All the guests were lined up in firing squad style, so it was quite packed in the space between the stalls and the official queues for guests (maybe spread them out?)

2) Signposts?  It took me a while to find things like the toilets, resturant etc (but that could be I was very tired)

3) The talks were great! and the space allocated was also great! But I think there needed to be a way to streamline the queues as it was near impossible to enter or leave the resturant area at times.

But on the whole I had a great time (and I kept within my budget - a first!)

Many thanks!

924986[/snapback]

I had a good day yesterday too. But was disapointed that there wasn't anywhere to sit inside. It was a little crowded for my liking. But i did enjoy it. Had a great mate who let me have her Michael Shanks ticket so i could get to see him earlier, otherwise i would have had to wait till after 2pm for my turn.

The Stargate talk was hillarious. Although, we were pushed around, told where to queue in the wrong place and when we got in it was too late and the place was almost full. Luckily i got a seat only 2 rows from him gorgeousness, lol.

I wish i could have gone back today. But couldn't afford it, lol. If they have him and Chris Judge back, i'll deffinately be there again in November :D

well done to showmasters on the first manchester event!!! We had a great day and it was my husbands turn to be tonuge tied for a change when he met Jorge!! I think that there needed a bit more space between the guests and dealer tables. It was nice to see a few familiar crew faces. Good guest line up and the guests we saw were great!:D :D :D:D

Anyone meet Jorge Garcia? What was he like.

924877[/snapback]

Hes was funny, his girlfriend/wife made a little snappy comment when my other half pronounced his name incorrectly. But Jorge just said "Ignore her, shes got a thing about getting my name correct, I don't really care." :D

Anyone meet Jorge Garcia? What was he like.

924877[/snapback]

Hes was funny, his girlfriend/wife made a little snappy comment when my other half pronounced his name incorrectly. But Jorge just said "Ignore her, shes got a thing about getting my name correct, I don't really care." :D

925003[/snapback]

Hehe cool! :D

Erm... how's his name pronounced then? I just thought it was like "George"? :D

I only went yesterday and was pleased with location as i only live about 20mins from Manchester :D I thought the layout was good but agree they needed more places to sit. As I took my partially disabled mother with me it was tough on her not getting time to sit down (I spent a fortune in tea keeping her happy!!!)

All the guests I met were great especially Andy Serkis! I never got to see Jorge though :D as I ran out of money, maybe next time.

Ok for Manchester's first event, but there is room for improvement. Could have been much batter. Not enough variety with the stalls. Overkill with the trading cards and autograph stalls. And all overpriced. Not many competitive bargains, which I've seen at other events. I didn't spend anything round the stalls. But a good variety - a few more Dr Who people would be good for next time. Hope the next one builds on the success of this one.

Anyone else concure? My first event of this type and it was amazing. Those gold passes were well worth their money, I got to see all 8 people that were on my priorty list withing 3 hours. Kinda boring waiting for thte talks though. The stalls got boring after the 2nd passing. I means seriously how many stalls do you need to sell photos of cast members from various shows!?

Anyone go to the Shanks and Judge talk? It was hilarious, especially Judge's re-enactment of the barfing thing, lol. And when the litlte girl gave shanks a homemade medal and got a kiss on the cheek was just so awwww :P

Can't wait to go back tommorow. anyone thinking of meeting the guests again? I think i might go get another set of signings from a couple people just to meet them again. They were all so polite and curtius. Please tell me Collectormania GMEX was a success thus far? I really want it to continue on next year.

924846[/snapback]

What was included with your gold ticket?

I noticed the excessive amount of trading cards and autos/film photos, but that's down to the dealers, not Showmasters. Hopefully different dealers will come and go as the event gains prestige over the next few years...

Are there any dealers around on the forum? I wonder what their take on everything was...

I felt as if there were more space at the GMex than at MK. As for the complaints about nothing to do-hello, you could leave the building! The GMex is not that far from the city centre and there is so much to do there. As long as you got your hand stamped, you could go back in meaning you only paid to enter once.

As for the lack of variety in stalls-it is a new event, MK has had years to establish a varied line up.

Have a little faith and I'm sure the event in November will be fantastic (I may even have a stall!). :P

Back from my second day at the G-Mex and I have to say that Sunday was a lot better then Saturday. Although I enjoyed both days emensily. The crew seemed to have things more in control (which can only be expected, yesterday the event was an unknown) and for some reason they seemed to be different stalls with a lot more varity. :P

The set up for the talks was a lot better (everybody was sent out of the area and a cue was started for everybody with a ticket) and they had a member of the crew to take a mic around for the questions. Another good point was the white boards were actually used to update on what VT numbers could go and get an autograph.

Of course it could have been that they was less people attending so more spare crew.

I had a great time both days and really enjoyed the weekend. The crew did a great joband the actors were really friendly which made it a great event.

Here are my comments on the day;

Got there Saturday and was really surprised to find a massive queue had already formed, (I don't know why, but I didn't think there would be).

Joined the back of the queue, only to see it branching out in two different directions, so we asked a crew member who told us we should be in another queue for pre-booked ticket holders. This wasn't clear at the back of the queue, and it was only for the fact I asked, that we eventually joined the right queue.

BTW, Great to see the Garrison there again, these guys do a great job.

Doors opened just after 9am, but was it just me, or were the non-ticket holders let in at the same time? someone told me that their queue was going down too, which didn't seem fair, to all of us who had pre-booked early bird tickets specifically to get that, (slight) advantage, but I am not 100% on this.

Anyway, finally got in and located the signing area which was completely swamped by people. There was no way in the world you could get through the mass of bodies, to get to the person with the VQ tickets. I have to admit, I resorted to pushing, as I was getting jostled around, and pushed myself, in the opposite direction I wanted to go :blush:

I saw my sister got to the queue before me, so she asked for a ticket for me, but was rightly told no, (although I saw someone else go to Jorge Garcias queue and ask for 2 VQ tickets and they were given to her no questions asked. It's these little inconsistencies which cause problems).

I agree that for the next one, and I hope there is a next one, that there needs to be more space between the guests and the stalls, or some better organisation to giving out the VQ tickets, so it doesn't turn into a seething mass of bodies.

Got my tickets, time to mooch around. The stalls as other people mentioned, didn't have much variety. It was the same stuff as at other events, but it was good to look around anyway.

I particularly enjoyed the amount of space between stalls and the lack of irritable shoppers a la MK, trying to ram you with their pushchair because they can't get past. It was a nice leisurely pace, with ample time to look around. I even bought some stuff, which I promised myself I wouldn't :D

No problem with the guests, who were really nice and some nice friendly crew members, particularly on Andy Serkis and Jorge Garcias queues. So no problems there.

Was going to hang around and see a few more guests, but decided not to in the end. There wasn't anything to keep me in the Gmex, as we had done the stalls a few times already, and I wasn't really interested in the talks, so we decided to go home, rather than hang around and wait.

I think if it had been in MK, or somewhere else that requires a hotel stay, I might have stayed and waited, but the fact that I don't live too far away, made it easier to make the decision to go home...if that makes sense.

Overall, for it's first time, it was great. There are a few things which need ironing out, but that is only to be expected as every first time event has teething troubles. I really enjoyed myself, met who I wanted to and came away a very happy bunny indeed.

SM's, I do hope you continue to bring Collectormania to Manchester, you gave us some fantastic guests and overall, a very enjoyable experience. I won't hesitate to attend the next one, so a big thank you :)

nope he didnt ,and for £20 the lazy git could of got of his bottom !

924976[/snapback]

Who cares if they don't do posed photographs, even for Avery since he was a bit pricey, but for me the most important thing is meeting the guests. I gave him a pack of werther's and it was great seeing it put a smile on his face, regardless of whether he ate them or not, to me that's more imporant that being in a picture with him. Same with all the other guests, it was great giving them all werther's, tommorow i'm gonna go dish out more money and go meet them all again, this time i'm gonna give em jelly babies! ;)

924977[/snapback]

please !!! giving them stuff ! for £20 a shot id expect them to give me a few bars of dairy milk !, The reason he was smiling was the fact that as u turned away he was grinning thinking to himself "£20 ....nice" "theres one born every minute"!

There normal people believe it or not, and sure its great to meet them but i wouldnt suck ass like that !

Doors opened just after 9am, but was it just me, or were the non-ticket holders let in at the same time? someone told me that their queue was going down too, which didn't seem fair, to all of us who had pre-booked early bird tickets specifically to get that, (slight) advantage, but I am not 100% on this.

925162[/snapback]

My understanding is that there are prebookes early bird tickets and purchased on the day early bird tickets hence the two different queues.

Did you catch the BSG talk on Sunday at all?

Hmm..I was told that the 2 queues were for pre-booked early bird and people paying on the door. Who knows which is true :lol:

Nope, didn't go on Sunday at all. I did everything I wanted to do on the Saturday, and I don't much care for the talks really, so wasn't going to pay again just to see that.

Hmm..I was told that the 2 queues were for pre-booked early bird and people paying on the door. Who knows which is true  :blink:

Nope, didn't go on Sunday at all. I did everything I wanted to do on the Saturday, and I don't much care for the talks really, so wasn't going to pay again just to see that.

925230[/snapback]

The one on the right was for prebooked earlybird and gold, The one on the right was for purchasing on the dayfor entry before 11am and then there was ordinary entry at 11am.

The new BSG talk was quite good but then if you don't like them then you didn't miss out on anything. Queues on the Sunday were shorter and the feeling much more relaxed.

Cool :firedevil:

I found it to be quite relaxed on the Saturday too...apart from the initial free for all at the VQ area. It was nice to be able to walk around without feeling like you were getting in someones way if you stopped to look.

I didn't have to wait long to meet the guests I wanted either, so good vibes all round :)

I had a great time both days as i said in an earlier post sat was great....

Sunday was more relaxed, the talks were a bit more organised but also a bit more hectic if you get me...? the queueing was weird! we decided since we couldnt get Andy talk tickets we would have a mooch around the stalls and then hit the town!

We went to the HARDROCK CAFE, wasnt too far a walk (and my feet were killing already) and it was great!! there was so much to do in and out of the event!!!

sunday i was waiting for the BSG talk (which was very cool) when Andy walked by and i knew i wouldnt get a chance to say bye to him so we had a hug and kiss bye there and it was nice!

By the time we were leaving it was lunch time so didnt get to say bye to Sala or Kiran either so left a note for Sala and will see Kiran in march!

all in all a good event!

thanks SM

Andrea xxx

P.S my young cousin loved it too.... it was her first con!