Suggestion to improve this event

lee_c00per

Although this event is turning out to be great, there ia always room for improvement as they say. What do you reccomend?

For me, i would maybe next year have the event or two or three days rather than 2 a year. By doing this it means that more guests, especially ones located in the USA will be willing to attend.

People like Mark Auatin and Maria De Aaragon are justa couple who alot of us would like to see at an event over here.

Appart from that i don't think anything else is needed. The guests are good and if we keep getting these new first time signers than that is only a good thing.

914459[/snapback]

I agree totally. I know Showmasters have used this venue for many years, but frankly the place is an absolute dump. That drive off the motorway past rundown and boarded up disused shops is depressing.

Add to that the chav zone that the actual leisure centre is in and it is just rotten. In November, poor Ken Colley must have nearly had a couple of seizures when the little sods were throwing slabs of paving stone at and kicking the fire door - right by where he was sitting at!

Obviously cost is a factor, but maybe there is a leisure centre in Milton Keynes that would accommodate Empire Day? Still near airport/s and has reasonably good transport links.

I never thought I'd actually suggest going to Milton Keynes for anything - but there is a first time for everything!

In any case, I reckon bigger, better Empire Days will be held away from Cheshunt - watch what happens.

Who put the C--T in Cheshunt!?

:unsure:

Edited by Hobbit_of_Dorsetshire

Agreed the location sucks. But the event is looking graet for guests. For the event to expand to 2 days it would have to have a fantastic attendance or it just wouldn't work. I hate to trip to Milton keynes but would prefer that to Cheshunt.

This will be a good topic to discuss after the event.

Jason

Looks like we're travelling from cardiff on the day and not the day before as I'm not prepared to pay £75 for one night in what seems to be the only hotel in cheshunt. If anyone knows of any hotels within a mile of the place then please post on here.

Edited by FON

Maybe Lee was already dreading the journey to Cheshunt and that's why he started this thread!

:firedevil:

914478[/snapback]

I have never been to the venue yet. By the photos from the last event it was held in a sports hall which was even smaller than the one we had at school.

Would it be such a bad thing to hold it at the MK. Centre? Stick them down one of the corridors and have a Star Wars Zone <_<

Maybe the Venue is the most important point which some of us believe need attention. I'll see for myself what it's like at the event

Looks like we're travelling from cardiff on the day and not the day before as I'm not prepared to pay £75 for one night in what seems to be the only hotel in cheshunt. If anyone knows of any hotels within a mile of the place then please post on here.

914492[/snapback]

Doing a google search for the UK for +hotel +cheshunt turned up 3 listings at http://www.4hotels.co.uk/uk/cheshunt.html

No idea what the places are like or even where they are in relation to the venue, but I was amazed. I figured you would have trouble finding civilisation within a mile of Cheshunt, let alone 3 hotesl actually in it...

You'll probably struggle to find cheap hotels around there, for the simple reason that there is not much competition - basically you either need to go to Cheshunt, or you don't, and the hotels know that. Not enough trade to make it worth several hotels moving in and getting into competition, you get a very few hotels who make a living by being expensive enough to get by on whatever trade is forced for whatever reason to go to Cheshunt. Unlike budget hotels in Central London who will get close to 100% occupancy through keen pricing and advertising, because people always want to stay in Central London hotels in places like Cheshunt will get by on a lower occupancy rate with more expensive rooms, because nobody actively considers going there for choice, just because something is on which means they have to be there. That's not restricted to Cheshunt, seen it in any number of small to middling towns around the country.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

a quiz.

that sounds like a grand idea.

let's do a quiz... like a proper quiz with two teams of three/four players picked at random by handing out raffle tickets as they go into the event at the start of the day.

arrange a couple of rows of seats like they do with the q&a session and have a quizmaster-me-host the whole shebang.

the audiece for the q&a session get to have a little interaction and i'm sure the guest signers would be up for some kind of minor participation...

i'm sure the organisers could cobble together some kind of token prize things for the winning team...

it could easily run to say,a half hour or so...

possibly a little longer.

i've already spoken to the team responsible for the award-winning star wars fanzine DELTA SOURCE,and they say they'd be interested in compiling the questions.

i think this is a definite goer.

what does everyone else think?

a quiz.

that sounds like a grand idea.

let's do a quiz... like a proper quiz with two teams of three/four players picked at random by handing out raffle tickets as they go into the event at the start of the day.

arrange a couple of rows of seats like they do with the q&a session and have a quizmaster-me-host the whole shebang.

the audiece for the q&a session get to have a little interaction and i'm sure the guest signers would be up for some kind of minor participation...

i'm sure the organisers could cobble together some kind of token prize things for the winning team...

it could easily run to say,a half hour or so...

possibly a little longer.

i've already spoken to the team responsible for the award-winning star wars fanzine DELTA SOURCE,and they say they'd be interested in compiling the questions.

i think this is a definite goer.

what does everyone else think?

933476[/snapback]

sounds like a great idea to me

thanks,guys...

the main problem,i think,is wether or not the fly-by-night autograph hunters,and suchlike would be interested in hanging around to watch some fat fool prancing about conducting a 'quiz show'...

we'd certainly make an attempt at humour,although the entertainment factor might most likely come from our complete ineptitude.

still,you've got to have a laugh,haven't you.

I thought the venue was ok, was a little surprised when I got there and couldn't find any signs mentioning the convention?

Can't comment on the sound for the talks as I wasn't there. The show is not big enough for a change of venue, I think if 250 people turned up at earls court it would be very empty. I don't see jason joiner going for big names at this kind of event as he has the other big shows for that. I think the next empire day will be similar to the last one with more 1st time guests.

Jason

In a way that's a good thing.

Most people would want the bigger actor's signatures like Peter Mayhew, Jeremy Bulloch, Carrie Fisher ect so it would be best to have them at Collectormania or LFC as these people are more comercial.

For the die hard Star Wars fans Empire Day is ideal as it's not busy aparently, get to chat with the guests and everything else which is cool.

if theres a general feeling that the venue is a bit shoddy then how about having empire day at collectormania? like section part of the shoppin centre of for just star wars guests. i reckon thatd encourage alot more people to come??x

934040[/snapback]

When they get the Starwars guests going to Collectormania then they are usually in a section or wing on their own so thats your empire day bit there. But with Empire day everything is geared towards Starwars and so it suits the collectors that come to the shows. I think the venue was fine for what it was and by keeping these new guests it is better for the big fans as they get to have decent conversations with the guests and get a feel for the films.. I think it was a great show and although it was my first I would like to come back again in the future.

A

The small venue is what makes this event attractive... that and the actors of course!

934901[/snapback]

I totally agree, none of the hustle and bustle of the bigger events makes it much more pleasurable to walk around the stalls and spend time with the guests, not to mention if it was a bigger event we probably wouldnt get the talks

I don't think these names would be interesting for the larger cons. The big names deserve their own shows such as CM. I prefer ED the way it is. Somewhat intimate in fact.

The CM visitors would be dissappointed with these 'small guests'. I love them so I think there is no need to change the routine here.

Empire day was special along with other small shows and that you get to have a few moments with the guests, not like William shatner at collectormania.

jason