attention star wars fans

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

I'm hoping that as many star wars fans as possible can get together twice a year and really make this event special, so it's down to us all to tell as many fans as possible and if there's a big demand then we will grow the convention to suit. As I said at the first empire day its down to you, if you want big events then show us your support and we will work hard to grow this into something special.

jason

• 4 weeks later...

i can say for a fact that attendance will be down on the last event purely because the last one was such a shambles... and the fans don't forget things like that,sadly...

there are no such guaruntees on quality or value for money,but where is the incentive for those who have attended in the past to come again. and bring their girlfriends?

scrap the entrance fee!

To be fair, true the last one was not the greatest con, but it was by no means a shambles.

It had some good stuff on the stalls and the guests were all good to chat too. It had a real nice relaxed feel to it.

I will admit, I felt the entrance was a little over priced and the snow speeder "prop" was laughable, but it was a good day out.

I think this con has promise. It will never be collecormania, but who the hell wants that? It was a Star Wars con and to be honest a big portion of SM`s fan base is a lot teenie boppers that have no interest in it.

I have been pushing this con on actual Star Wars forums and think it will help. The guys that come aren`t active members of these boards, for whatever reason. The attendance will be up on last time.

• Moderators

This event is certainly very different from the others that Showmasters organise. The guests at this one are very rare and aimed at the more completist collector out there.

It'll never get to the scale of a Collectormania or LFACC, but it's nice to have something different and more relaxing. Some people hate the busyness of the bigger events, and like to have time to talk to the guests etc.

As for the entrance fee, surely they pay to hire the place out so they have to cover it?

Just to stick my 2 peneth in ...........

I enjoyed the last one and would certainly go again, having said that I will not be going in Feb as there is another nearer where I live about 2 weeks later.

I have to say I thought it was good that not so many people attended last time as it gave you time to talk to the guests properly, not just can you sign this, thanks, bye !. Good guests too.

However I too think the entrance fee was a little steep ... it doesnt cost that much to hire a sports hall....

( and I liked the snowspeeder, so did my son)

I'm going, along with my wife, just to meet the guests as I never buy from the dealers as most seem to up their prices at these events nowadays. As theres the two of us I'm dissapointed that we have to pay £18 to get in. Its to late now but maybe SM could do a deal in future of a few quid off for buying them say 4 weeks in advance, this would also give them some kind of idea of how many are going to attend.

Jason

Maybe something like £2 off would be great and I'm sure SM would have a better idea on the amount that are going to attend. At least if they know in advance what kind of profit is involved then maybe they can go for the bigger or overseas event. I take my hat off to Jason J and the SM group as you never know how many are going to turn out. Mark is probably aware of this problem himself from his events.

I've had mixed responses from people who I've mentioned the event to, some think its great with new signers (Like I do) and other don't think the guests are big enough names.

Good Luck SM and hopefully many Empire Days to come (hopefully closer to Cardiff)

Jason

I certainly am. I guess I got lucky at the last event I did in Belgium. I was hoping for 600 people and we ended up with the magical number (for SW fans at least) of 1138. Lots of smiling faces makes the preparation (which took 9 months) worthwhile.

I'm coming over with three friends, first for the actors and second, because it will give me the opportunity to meet some UK-friends that I've only known through e-mail before. And to buy you guys a drink :P

If its a choice between paying for the event and it ending up like collectormania, I fully vote for paying.

Im sure the price will come down once the attendance goes up. The display of vintage may help as to be honest the guest list won`t pull massive crowds.

This event is a celerbration of all things Star Wars and I big show of the collectables would be a huge crowd puller. Like a mueseum for a day. I know there is a lot of very nice collectables just in my circle of friends, not including what wonders Jason has tucked away.

Really hope this convention will have the expected amount of visitors this edition, cause conventions without the necessary number of attendees usually don't last very long...

And I really hope Empire Day will be around for a few more. For me - the first time I am attending - this is by far the most unique one if it comes to the rarity of the guestlist.

I like Kenny, Dave and Jeremy a lot but at a certain point, you have enough autographs of these people. Looking forward to see some new faces...

Hi Mazzic

What programme do you use to make your photos, I've bought a few off Mark over the years and am very impressed. I could do with some tips and advice.

Jason

Really hope this convention will have the expected amount of visitors this edition, cause conventions without the necessary number of attendees usually don't last very long...

And I really hope Empire Day will be around for a few more. For me - the first time I am attending - this is by far the most unique one if it comes to the rarity of the guestlist.

I like Kenny, Dave and Jeremy a lot but at a certain point, you have enough autographs of these people. Looking forward to see some new faces...

922103[/snapback]

Nice to get some comment on my work, thx!

I've been using Corel-photopaint 9 as far back as I can remember. I have to admit it took me quite a while to figure things out, but at the moment I am pretty familiar with CPP9.

If you have any other questions, do drop me a line. It would be my pleasure to answer them.

I'll try to post some of my better work on this forum... Stay tuned!

I learned all my tricks from Mazzic. He's the graphics wizard in my book! Most of my LOTR collection is on Mazzic's designs.

He designed the photo for the very first signing I did with Orli (it was her very first signing as well!). We met her this weekend and she is still using that image and says it's very popular! Nuff said!

The moderator will probably delete them if I would post any of my photos on this thread (I couldn't disagree, cause frankly they have little to do with the subject)

Nevertheless if anyone is interested, please check the following thumbnail. For anything else, please contact me personally...

This is some of my (Star Wars) work:

th_84bba_Mazzic_s_Portfolio.jpg

Truly appreciate your interest! :P

Hey Mazzic, there are even some there that even I haven't seen.  They are absolutely great.

923839[/snapback]

Hi everybody. I attended the last show and thought it was pretty good. As has been said before it was very relaxed. I just wanted to say that i agree with what Mazzic wrote the other day.We need to see a break in the norm with regards to the guests. New faces that haven't been seen before (or rarely) are going to draw fans from further afield. I found a site the other day called Wattographs which acts as a booking agent for alot of different actors. There are people on there that i had no idea were available for signings. Some of these guests would ,in my opinion, be massivly attractive to all the autograph hunters! Jimmy Smitts was on there!!

Without making any publicity for Watto's...

...it sure is worth it that you take a look on who they are planning signings with in the upcoming months and who they are able to book for a convention...

Jimmy Smiths is indeed a possibility, but the site states that he asks for a "large appearance fee", wonder how much that would be... :D

They may have Jimmy Smitts on their list but the chance od himso signings for them is still quite a long shot. I don't think Jimmy intends to do the autograph thing at this stage.

The site does have some great guests line-up , with most being from the Prequals

They may have Jimmy Smitts on their list but the chance od himso signings for them is still quite a long shot. I don't think Jimmy intends to do the autograph thing at this stage.

The site does have some great guests line-up , with most being from the Prequals

924663[/snapback]

I just wanted to draw attention to who is out there on the circuit. it bugs me when we get the same old guests again and again when there are so many to choose from and surely any star wars autograph collector would 'have an accident' at the possibility of having some of those guests turne up!?