A little disappointed and a few questions!

ultentrev

Due to me not being able to attend other events around the country, and this one being a reasonable distance via train, as I don't drive, I was really looking forward to the event until I saw the line up.

A few questions!

Where are the big names? (There aren't as many as at Collectormania's other events).

Where are the Buffy / Angel / Smallville / 24 guests?

Why are there so many guests attending whose roles aren't that big?

Why book four artists when half of that amount would be more than enough and another proper star would be better?

Where are the female guests?

I am really, really disappointed by this line up, and hope a few bigger name attractions may improve this situation.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome, oh confrontational newbie - I have answered within your post !

Due to me not being able to attend other events around the country, and this one being a reasonable distance via train, as I don't drive, I was really looking forward to the event until I saw the line up.

A few questions!

Where are the big names? (There aren't as many as at Collectormania's other events). GMex is a new show. I can't blame SMs for playing it "safe" with guests.

Where are the Buffy / Angel / Smallville / 24  guests? Unavailable, too expensive, not interested ? Any number of possible reasons really. There is no rule that every show must have guests from these or other shows !

Why are there so many guests attending whose roles aren't that big? Depends on your opinion !

Why book four artists when half of that amount would be more than enough and another proper star would be better? Experience shows that comic guests are popular, and four is viable. Also, according to my info, comic artists attend like dealers, paying for a "pitch" at the show at which to sell their wares. Having artists there will not reduce the number of what you seem to consider "proper" guests !

Where are the female guests? At home knitting ?

I am really, really disappointed by this line up, and hope a few bigger name attractions may improve this situation.

907714[/snapback]

Edited by dufresne

Smallville is still filming in February. So it's rather unlikely to have anyone from that show at an event at that time seeing it's highly likely that the actors are needed on set last minute and will cancel.

Regarding Angel/Buffy: I agree with what has been said before. I love the shows as well, but as Dufresne said, there's no rule that every event SM do has to have a guest from this show.

And about "no big names": that absolutely depends on your definition. I for my part was more than happy with Avery Brooks and Ian Somerhalder being announced.

In fact, G-Mex is going to set a new record for me on how many people I want to see. :D

Althought here are only 2 guests i'm interested in you can't say that there are only small part actors present.

wether it's your cup of tea or not avery brooks, andy serkis, ian somerhalder, michael dorn, katee sackhoff, jamie bamber etc.... all have (had) big parts in established movies or tv series.

Regarding Buffy/Angel whilst I acknowledge these shows have a large fan base, do we really need them at every show that Showmasters organize?

I live just outside Manchester and have spent alot of time and money travelling to London and Milton Keynes for the other events. So you can imagine my delight when Collectormania G-Mex was announced.

I have in the past got a few autographs from other guests, but the only reason I was at the event in the first place was because of the Buffy/Angel guests.

I feel really let down by the fact that not one has been announced for this event.

Daniel: In that regard we are similar, in spending time and money to attend the events in Milton Keynes and London and at least Showmasters are testing the (slightly) Northern area of the country for an event.

I've nothing against Buffy/Angel or Trek and I realize that a guest from these shows will always pull in the punters, but in all the forums I read it's the same requests all the time.

Please do not take this as a dig against you, I can appreciate how gutted that there is not a guest scheduled to appear from a show you like, I went through the same when John Schneider cancelled for Collectormania!!

two words

KING KONG.

that is all

V xx

nah cant leave it at that cause i sound meany.....

as people have said it depends on perspective, from my perspective guests from the three biggest releases of the year *regardless of who they played* is excellent, plus they have boone.... i feel that this event is one of the best since C4.

just my opinion though.

Erm correct me if I'm wrong but wasn't Ian Somerhalder in Smallville once upon a time?

907767[/snapback]

Yes, he was in Smallville, so I'm happy about that. But do suspect he's here more in connection with the popularity of Lost.

Well I think the guest list is AMAZING, especially since it's the first event.

*worships showmasters with gratitude*

I mean, COME ON, ROBERT PATTINSON!

even if he was the only guest, i would still go on both days. *continues to worship*

Edited by Freyja

Sorry if it sounds like I'm coming off like a miserable old sod, but when I heard about the Manchester event, I was thinking "Great! Finally a great event I can get to", but when I look at some of the excellent line ups previous events have had, I do personally feel it's a major let down.

There are a few big names, but none of which I would be disappointed about if I missed out on.

I really, really hope this changes as I would love to attend a Collectormania event, but there has to be at least a few guests I want to see for it to be worth my while, and there isn't at the moment.

The next Milton Keynes event looks a million times better, but due to work and other personal commitments, there's no way I can attend it.

Not being funny, but if you're not that bothered about the guest list and it seems like that's the reason you want to go to meet guests why bother going?

Sadly I haven't seen anything of Lost so I've missed the boat on that one I only really know of Ian Somerhalder from Smallville so I'm not making the trip just for him. I've already met the Red Dwarf guys a few times so I won't be attending. However in terms of the guest list I think it's pretty cool, especially if you are a big Lost fan like a lot of people on here seem to be.

In all honesty, don't go if you're only going for the sake of it because it may not be worth it. If you know some people on here and want to meet up that's a different story but if it's just to go meet some guests but you're not really that big a fan of any of those guests it's best to wait until you can get to a show where there is someone you really want to meet and trying to make arrangements so that you are able to attend those.

Why are there so many guests attending whose roles aren't that big?

907714[/snapback]

The thing is it's Collectormania... it's aimed at collectors and fans, not at random people who only want to meet someone famous (or good looking and famous).

Yes there are people who make you go 'Who they?', but for each person who says that there will be another queuing up to collect every bit of Collectables for that series and to get a cast photo/book signed.

And the bigger the guest, the bigger the queue :borg:

in answer to the "omg where are the Buffy guests!?" question:

SM have had ALOT of Buffy guests recently, one only has to look at the "previous guests" sections on the Collectormania and LFaCC websites to see that! :P

true they have not had SMG, Seth Green, Allyson Hannigan or David Boreanaz (I appologise, I can't spell) but what event, even Buffy specific conventions world wide have had those stars as guests signing autos for fans? :headscratch:

C9 - Julie Benz (and possibly more to be announced nearer the time)

C8 - Nicholas Brendon, Adam Busch, Andy Hallett, Kelly Donovan, Stacey Scowley

C7 - Antony Head, Alexis Denisof, James Marsters, Kali Rocha

C6 - Nicholas Brendon, Adam Busch, Danny Strong, Tom Lenk

C5 - Kristy Swanson

C4 - Antony Head, Iyari Limon

C3 -

C2 - Antony Head

C1 -

LFaCC 4 - possibly some to be announced nearer the time

LFaCC 3 - Charisma Carpenter

LFaCC 2 - DB Woodside, Marc Metcalf

LFaCC 1 -

basically, Buffy have had their events if you will and SM are now getting guests from other shows such as Lost and Stargate/Atlantis and Firefly/Serenity

it's always a shame when people can't make events for what ever reason and, as a student nurse attending uni and working on the wards, I can understand when money or time off makes it a problem but never let distance or travelling stand in the way! I kid you not - people from Europe and BEYOND come to these events! there are people on these boards who travel from the States and even ISRAEL to come so in comparison a train ride is nothing :D

as for 24 guests, we have had Penny Johnson Gerald (C5) and Sarah Clarke and Xander Berkely (LFaCC2) but here here for more! :rolleyes: (espesically Carlos Bernard and Reiko Aylesworth but I'll take Kiefer Sutherland if those aren't available :wub:)

surfy sah xx B)

edit: html

Edited by surfy_sah

I agree, i have travelled to milton a few times now and i was excited to hear about the manchester 1 cos its so near to where i live, until i seen the line up of guests, i to think its disapointing and considering its a "NEW VENTURE" i would of expected an all out showing, if this is lame do u really think that will attract people or wouldnt it be better that if u have a more exciting line up, it would attract more peeps......

for all those who wanna flame go ahead, but i to think the manc 1 is lame

I agree, i have travelled to milton a few times now and i was excited to hear about the manchester 1 cos its so near to where i live, until i seen the line up of guests, i to think its disapointing and considering its a "NEW VENTURE" i would of expected an all out showing, if this is lame do u really think that will attract people or wouldnt it be better that if u have a more exciting line up, it would attract more peeps......

907921[/snapback]

Nobody is going to flame you, you're entitled to your own opinion.

But you're simply saying the show is lame because it doesn't meet your personal tastes. There are enough people who think the show's great, and I bet you this is the majority of people here.

I've never been to a big event like this, or any convention and have always thought that as soon as someone does one close to me, I'll attend it, as I have always wanted to go to one, but as there are no guests that make this a must attend event for me, many of whom I have no interest in at all, then I stand by my statement about it being a poor line up.

To someone else, it may be the best line up ever, however me and my friends won't be attending unless the line up improves.

As I have previously stated, I have been impressed b many previous event line ups, and am impressed by the Milton Keynes line up, but the Manchester one just sucks!

Sorry, but it does!

Good luck with the show, hopefuly the first of many in Manchester!

P.s. Not all of us can afford to travel or go to other events, so the one's we go to have to be special and worth the money, or what's the point?

In reply surfy_sah:

I know Showmasters have brought alot of Buffy guests to their events. Thats why I go to them.

But like I have already said after spending so much time and money (travel, accomadation, etc) on the London and Milton Keynes events, I was happy an event is to be held in the city where I live.

I am really disapointed and upset there have been no Buffy guests announced. I'm not asking for Sarah Michelle Gellar or anything, just someone would be nice.

In the past 18 months two Buffy/Angel conventions were planned in Manchester and both of them got cancelled, which makes no Buffy guests at this one even worse :rolleyes: .

In the past 18 months two Buffy/Angel conventions were planned in Manchester and both of them got cancelled, which makes no Buffy guests at this one even worse :rolleyes: .

907928[/snapback]

You don't think that maybe that's a sign? Buffy as a series finished some years ago now. Most of the guests who do conventions have visited the UK at least once, meaning there aren't many new guests (without going the way of Star Wars '3rd Stormtrooper on the left). Eventually, demand for repeat guests dwindles to the point it's not economivally viable to invite them. (Hence the reason there's no Buffy con).

907921[/snapback]

Nobody is going to flame you, you're entitled to your own opinion.

But you're simply saying the show is lame because it doesn't meet your personal tastes. There are enough people who think the show's great, and I bet you this is the majority of people here.

907922[/snapback]

*puts away can of petrol in disappointment* :rolleyes:

It's your choice if you come to the event or not... but remember, if insufficient people turn up, the odds of a second event in Manc go down significantly.

In the past 18 months two Buffy/Angel conventions were planned in Manchester and both of them got cancelled, which makes no Buffy guests at this one even worse :uhoh: .

907928[/snapback]

You don't think that maybe that's a sign? Buffy as a series finished some years ago now. Most of the guests who do conventions have visited the UK at least once, meaning there aren't many new guests (without going the way of Star Wars '3rd Stormtrooper on the left). Eventually, demand for repeat guests dwindles to the point it's not economivally viable to invite them. (Hence the reason there's no Buffy con).

907941[/snapback]

Exactly right, it seems its always the same guests being invited to the shows, but mainly because the main stars of Buffy/Angel are " doing other things" or just dont do conventions of any kind!

I want to meet buffy/angel guests but sometimes its nice that i dont HAVE to go to EVERY show and can just pick and choose what ones i do go to!