william shatner

rdsue8

:borg: I went to Milton Keynes on saturday with the intention of meeting Mr Shatner, and i was glad i ignored the advice from the collectormania website about arriving at 9 am and getting your virtual tickets 'ONLY THEN' . They were being handed out at 8am anyway and when i arrived they were already up to 300!

I had met Mr Shatner at the royal albert hall and it was one of the best days ever so i was quite shocked with the way i was treated by him AND THAT AWLFUL DARK HAIRED LADY SAT BY THE SIDE OF HIM BARKING ORDERS AT EVERYONE!!...... He didn't even achknowledge anybody there!

It was one hideous conveyor belt and i believe for £25:00 he could have at least done a dedication. I don't know why somebody else thought we should have expected this , its just manners to be spoken to surely? It is advertised as 'meeting' the guest, what a chrock!

Anyway i shan't be going to another collectormania as i had much the same experience ith Ms Mulgrew in London. I was just glad i didn't fork out for a hotel this time.

I agree with you, it would not take very long to acknowledge you, maybe a handshake and ask you how you are.

For £25.00 i did expect more. He was open queue by 11am. Ridculous and when you say its a money making conveyer belt you are spot on.

But hey, there are people who will say they expected this and didnt expect more, but that doesnt mean its right. What we received was nothing short of a hello, thanks for your money and goodbye at most.

Other guests such as Karen Allen and Erika Eleniak showed how it should be done. People blame the agent, yet has Shatner got a voice? Can he not say anything?? Course he can, just didnt want to.

I agree with you, it would not take very long to acknowledge you, maybe a handshake and ask you how you are.

For £25.00 i did expect more. He was open queue by 11am. Ridculous and when you say its a money making conveyer belt you are spot on.

But hey, there are people who will say they expected this and didnt expect more, but that doesnt mean its right. What we received was nothing short of a hello, thanks for your money and goodbye at most.

Other guests such as Karen Allen and Erika Eleniak showed how it should be done. People blame the agent, yet has Shatner got a voice? Can he not say anything?? Course he can, just didnt want to.

875241[/snapback]

Of course it's not right. But at the end of the day you pay your money and make your choice. If you know you're going to be treated like that, you don't have to go and fork out money, but if you choose to go you've not a lot to complain about really.

The only way things could poosibly ever improve is if the punters stop turning up. And that's already starting to happen. Many people are fed up with what Showmasters events have turned in to and they're staying away.

The only way things could poosibly ever improve is if the punters stop turning up. And that's already starting to happen. Many people are fed up with what Showmasters events have turned in to and they're staying away.

875249[/snapback]

ER... hang on, lets be fair here. You can't blame SM for the less than friendly antics of one guest. What about all the guests who were very friendly, animated (and tactile, in the case of Erin Gray - woo hoo! :P ). Don't blame SM just because one guest dissappointed you. Blame the Shatner, or JCB.

Edited by MikeDonovan

875249[/snapback]

ER... hang on, lets be fair here. You can't blame SM for the less than friendly antics of one guest. What about all the guests who were very friendly, animated (and tactile, in the case of Erin Gray - woo hoo! :P ). Don't blame SM just because one guest dissappointed you. Blame the Shatner, or JCB.

875253[/snapback]

Fair enough, but you can't deny the cattle queue routine and associated thuggery of crew or guest handlers is now happening repeatedly at Showmasters events. As I understand it, Jolene Blalock was treated pretty shabbily by SM crew at C7, while no one at SM could be bothered to tell Kate Mulgrew to slow down a bit and say hello to people at LFCC3, unless of course she was told to sign like an express train and not acknowledge her fans.

Showmasters are well aware of fan opinion on all this. It's just that many people have noticed SM seem to be doing nothing about it.

If you like this sort of thing then fine, but it seems that it's becoming less and less most event goers' cup of tea.

After Shatner was announced for C8, it was interesting to see, particularly on Shatner's own forum, the views of people who posted that they desperately wanted to see him but that they wern't prepared to go to a SM event out of princple due to bad experiences which they or their friends had suffered at previous SM events.

Edited by KITT

The main problem is that alot of us wanted Shatner to come to a Collectormania even after people had posted regarding his attitude to fans at other events and SM saw the interest and provided us with what we wanted.

We cant really blame SM for his attitude as the majority of us already knew what to expect and I doubt SM could have got him to change the way he has done autograph signing for the last few decades just for a weekend in Milton Keynes.

As for Collectormania's getting worse, I thought this one was better than C7 as the majority of the guests I wanted to meet last time had 'no posed photos' signs up but this time I got a photo with everyone apart from Shatner which I wasent expecting.

Edited by Colonel Jack O'Neill

Getting non fan friendly guests, whether they be Shatner or anyone else is pointless, even when people ask for them. They may make some money for SM, but the public relations disaster which usually accompanies them far outweighs any financial gain.

Loads of people asked for Shatner, now look at the fallout.

There are lessons to be learnt from this. But I doubt anyone will take heed.

I went to Collectomania8 just to get Shatner's autograph but was surprised by his unfriendly attitude, he was just there to glean money from the punters, we were told that in two hours on the Friday he signed 600 autographs, thats £15,000 taken from fans that surely deserve a handshake,smile or an hello at least but got sod all but a scrawl across a photo and please move on, it really is down to SM to tell guests to be a little more outward going to the people who have made these "stars" who they are today or they won't be booking them again.

From my original posting I DIDN'T KNOW HE WAS GOING TO BE HORRID!!!! if i had have done i wouldn't have bothered going!

When i first met him it was a meeting with some people who had bid for his autograph at a convention at the albert hall.

I paid alot of money at the time for that autograph and meeting ( £180 ) the money was for his charity riding for the disabled and he was brilliant and courteous and i had a kiss and a hug ( which i have since learnt harshly and to my cost was an awesome experience ). I expected him to be pleasant ( obviously i expected a hello , stupid me ) and i knew it would n't be a question of a long chat over a cup of tea but what upset me was his attitude. WE ALL PAID MONEY TO MEET HIM! If someone wanted to pay £25:00 to meet me i would at least have the decency to look at them whist i gave my autograph! :vader:

875241[/snapback]

Of course it's not right. But at the end of the day you pay your money and make your choice. If you know you're going to be treated like that, you don't have to go and fork out money, but if you choose to go you've not a lot to complain about really.

875249[/snapback]

So the announcer all day was saying, "If you want to meet William Shatner Captain Kirk he is now signing at................."

This may suggest that you actually get to meet him, rather than walk past him. You can all talk about expectations but this didnt help. If these boards are the only place you can get to hear Shatners experience is the way it is, its no wonder people are gutted as not everyone reads it.

Its not SM's fault but Shatner was a let down, but they do say never meet your heroe's.

After taking a plane, bus and taxi to get there I have to say firstly that I was glad to have achieved the goal of getting William Shatner's autograph. I was afraid that after travelling that far I would miss the opportunity due to large crowds etc. I managed to "meet" him on Friday evening- having arrived at 4pm to find he had open queue, so that was an unexpected bonus. I also forced him to look up and speak to me and smile at me by complimenting him on winning the Emmy. This at least made the experience more memorable for me.

On the downside it was disappointing that he wasn't at least personalising (surely that wouldn't have taken too much longer!) and as for that woman JCB- she certainly gets the prize as one of the rudest people I have ever met! I'm sure she could have been equally efficient (and courteous (like the SM crew :huh: ) ) without needing to be so ruthless and bad mannered.