WILLIAM SHATNER is a ows us an apology

wrtworthy

This thread is just about as predictable as JCB and The SHA T's behaviour.

For those of you that are disgruntled, if you had read the many posts including mine before this weekend, you would have known what to expect.

The SHA T experience went down just as I expected, all be it JCB did spice it up a bit by yelling like a fish wife at the queue from time to time.

So just in case you might take the opportunity to read this, should a similar guest be announced with a bad fan reputation for a future event, they will charge at least £25, they won't speak to you, probably won't look up and their agent next to them will be a on a power trip.

If you want their auto, pay your money and get what you expect, if you don't want to pay then don't come and don't whine on endlessly about it.

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrtworthy,

Firstly I am sorry that you feel like this. I would like to try and give you some information from the other side of the event. Obviously you can see from the perspective of a visitor to the centre and you want to have a good stay and meet people that you possibly admire or look up to.

I wish to explain things from a crew perspective now, and try and answer your questions. Before I go on to talk about Mr. Shatner I would like to speak on behalf of the crew who worked as I was one of them. Power does not go to our head with these events. We are in place to do a job, and if people are breaking the rules then we have to act to ensure safety and order are kept within the centre. The crew who work these events do get very tird over the weekend, a number of the crew were working from 0630 - 2100 or even later on al days of the event. So when things start going wrong, we need to act quickly and in the most effective way. We dont like having unhappy guests, just as we dont want the visitors to the event to go home unhappy with their day. I understand that you were upset, but please do not try to blame your anger or upset on the crew. Its not their fault.

As for Mr. Shatner, on friday he flew in from America, and arrived at Heathrow at 12.00 by 2o'clock he was signing autographs so please give the man a break, he must have been so tird. So he asked for no photography. Obviously though if you ask on one day you can not take that back a day later as it would be unfair on the previous days visitors. Mr. Shatner did make it clear to the crew that he had a choice he could have spent 5 minutes with each person that wanted to meet him and let them take a photograph, and whilst that seems good to you if you are at the start of the que, however what happens if you are guest 3476 and you have a ticket, you are unlikely to even see Mr. Shatner,s o whilst itwould have been good in some senses he was only being pratical.

I can only try to apologise to you, although it is not my place to do so. We hope that you enjoyed the rest of the event, and would love to see you come back to another Showmasters Event.

Alex Smith

There was no excuse for the Shatners rudeness to his fans, even when Elijah and James were there - yeah they were busy but at least they had the common courtesy to say hello how you doing? I think Mr Shatner should remember that without his fan base he will be doing cereal adverts for the rest of his days...

on this basis I am starting some new terminology - a rude or offensive person can now become a 'complete shatner'... i think it will take off :P

Mr. Shatner did make it clear to the crew that he had a choice he could have spent 5 minutes with each person that wanted to meet him and let them take a photograph, and whilst that seems good to you if you are at the start of the que, however what happens if you are guest 3476 and you have a ticket, you are unlikely to even see Mr. Shatner,s o whilst itwould have been good in some senses he was only being pratical.

Sorry, but that's nonsense! I'm not surprised there was no photography, 'lesser' (in stature only) guests have asked the same, so that was a given, but even if the Shatner had personalised everything asked of him, smiled and said 'thanks', or 'hi', he would STILL have seen everyone who wanted an auto. He spent large parts of the event with an open queue!!!!

I guess as a member of the crew I had more contact with Bill than most.

I sat with Marina on saturday, so for half the morning had JCB and Bill on my left side.

I did get a 'good morning' and a hand shake when he arrived..and a 'goodbye' and another handshake when he was moved to the Next siging area.

I agree with so many points that JCB was running his signing and mouthing off...hell i burst out laughing when Marina leant over me and told her to shut the hell up (what she really said i wont post lol) cos she was getting a headache :P

Edited by DisneyDude78

i was upset and dissappointed i felt like saying something but i didn't,:pyth:  i shan't go to another one.

875195[/snapback]

Oh no! I know you can get some really shallow actors but you can also meet many great actors.

I felt like that last year when I waited 5 hours 2 see James Masters only 2 b told that he had gone and he wasn't coming back! Also I couldn't use my ticket 4 2morrow and needed 2 get a new one.

I was so upset that I didn't go bac and the next day he had an open queue!

I agree with so many points that JCB was running his signing and mouthing off...hell i burst out laughing when Marina leant over me and told her to shut the hell up (what she really said i wont post lol) cos she was getting a headache  :P

875328[/snapback]

:P:P;):lol::lol::lol:

I did hear that Marina had said something... so nice for it to be confirmed. ;)

He did come across rather rude lol but hey i did ask him to sign a box of All Bran Cereal hahahaha, you shoulda seen the way he looked at me, phew if looks could kill lol.

:unsure::blink::wub:

874492[/snapback]

I cant believ you did that lol wish i could have been there to see the evils :vader:

i was upset and dissappointed i felt like saying something but i didn't,:pyth:  i shan't go to another one.

875195[/snapback]

Oh no! I know you can get some really shallow actors but you can also meet many great actors.

I felt like that last year when I waited 5 hours 2 see James Masters only 2 b told that he had gone and he wasn't coming back! Also I couldn't use my ticket 4 2morrow and needed 2 get a new one.

I was so upset that I didn't go bac and the next day he had an open queue!

875337[/snapback]

i agree dont be put off by one bad experience there are so many good ones to be had...

[quote name= :firedevil: ' date='Oct 2 2005, 09:59 PM]

I saw a few people with All-Bran packets being signed and Shatner just seemed disinterested about it.

One bloke said "I thought this would be different!"  to which JCB replied "Yes...we've seen those adverts!"  - seen them? he's bloody in them!?!

Hi fulcrum i was one of the people with an all bran pack for my friend Ian and he didn't look impressed at all when i went up i can tell you, but it made me and few people laugh lol so that's all that counts

Way to go !!! :vader:

874759[/snapback]

LOL!!!!!! the look on his face was priceless he didn't look at me or say one word, so i explained about the all-bran pack he took it off me, looked at it then back up at me as if i had 4 frickin heads. It took all my body strength to not laugh in his face hahaha, totally worth it to see the crew members, customers and me laughing lol.

xxxx

Deffinatly made my day even if he did come across as rather rude.

874763[/snapback]

You know me and my mates were snapping photos loads when you came through the line with the Bran packet, we probbaly have a photo of his expression somewhere :blink: I gotta admit....it was priceless

KIWI :D

874969[/snapback]

OMG !!!!! you got photos!!?? OH PLEEEEEEEASE !! post them hahahaha i have got to see how it looked from your guys point of view hahaha, one of the storm troopers added me on msn last night and sent me pics of me with them which i didn't know they had even taken lol.

Hahaha you have my full permission to post the all-bran pics once developed lol.

I cant believ you did that lol wish i could have been there to see the evils

Lol i hope ciaraemarie posts up the pics of me doing that it was funny, trying to not to laugh was the killer, after i left i had to walk off as quick as possible so he wouldn't hear me giggling like a mad man. :wub::unsure:

I guess he didn't want his photo taken cause it would show up the evident plastic surgery!

Glad I never attended.

Collectormania is going down hill, after the last fiasco I vowed I would never attend another and I have been to most of them!

*Beam me up Scotty*

• Moderators

I hardly think that Collectormania is "going downhill". Fact is that Shatner has apparently ALWAYS been like this, so to blame the event itself is not entirely fair. But if you choose to miss out in the future then that's up to you.

Yes, maybe our expectations are higher because we have had better experiences in the past with guests who have been able to do photos and talk and generally have a better manner with the public than Shatner, but unfortunately not everyone is going to be like this.

Maybe he just does it for the money, but is that such a wrong thing to do? I know most guests aren't obvious about it, but at the end of the day they're all there to make some money! Whether it be through promotion or the autograph signings directly, it's the reason for being there.

We all have different reasons for enjoying these events - some of us want to MEET the guest properly, while others just want to get the autograph. You get some people saying "oh it would have been nice if he'd said thank you", but then if he had ... no doubt some people would have complained "oh he only said thank you!" ... we all know how it is!

At the end of the day you actually are paying for the autograph though, and £25 was a very reasonable price for Shatner's.

Showmasters made a good business move by obtaining him, and it shouldn't put people off attending their events in the future because the events are enjoyable for many different reasons, not just on the basis of one guest.

Oh, and of course people have a right to complain and put forward their opinions but there's always a right way of doing it.

I think I must definately be in the minority, as I have nothing to complain about.

I arrived at MK on Sunday at about 10:45 and thought that I would either a) Have a very long wait or :lol: not get to meet and have an autograph, imagine my surprise when I found it was an open queue.

I for one was happy with the way this was set up as I have missed out on guests before because they have been busy chatting and posing for photos.

When I met Bill he looked up and greeted my wife and I, signed my chosen picture and said thanks for coming and we shook hands, I found him polite which is all I expect from a guest.

Although I read the notices posted about how guests behave, how he or she hates fans or is extremely friendly, I always go with an open mind as it leads to less disappointment.

If you have a good experience enjoy it if not then move on to the next one.

I for one really enjoyed Collectormania and look forward to the next one.

I, too, had a great time. I've never been to an auto signing before, so had no expectations. I was pleased with my autograph, congratulated Shatner on his second Emmy win and was thanked in return. I couldn't really have expected any more... what does this Wrtworthy guy want for heaven's sake? To be invited to sit down for a good old chinwag, a cup of tea and to become lifelong buddies?!! I think he is being EXTREMELY ungracious about the whole thing - do you think Shayner actually needs the money? He's currently starring in a huge network hit at the moment in the States and is paid an extraordinary amount of money to star in it. The rumoured 100k he picked up for the SM event is peanuts to him, yet he came over, was driven straight from the airport and began signing autos immediately he arrived. Do you think he finds the experience fun? But he's done it all the same. Admittedly, this JCB woman was a nightmare and extremely rude but at no point did I feel the urge to shout at her and wave my arms in the air like a complete buffoon - but that's what you are Wrtworthy! Grow up.

The same can be said about when Leonard Nimoy attending another event recently, quite alot of the time he was just sitting there with an open queue but he still wouldnt personalise photos so maybe its a standard for him and Shatner not to personlise photos?

875325[/snapback]

Several of the original series actors don't personalise, see James Doohan's autobiography for the reasons why. Having read it I knew not to expect a personalisation. I would have liked a photo of William Shatner though - if you have one please e-mail a copy to me at:

AndyClark501@hotmail.com

Thanks!

I guess he didn't want his photo taken cause it would show up the evident plastic surgery!

Glad I never attended.

Collectormania is going down hill, after the last fiasco I vowed I would never attend another and  I have been to most of them!

*Beam me up Scotty*

876217[/snapback]

*confused*:huh:

What makes me laugh is the fact that if he died tomorrow, all those that have bitched and moaned about him and didnt bother paying the £25 will be kicking themselves.

You will probably end up buying a fake off eBay or paying more than £25 from a dealer.

These shows are not 'meet and greets', they are for collecting autographs. The guests are not your friends, they dont know you and they dont owe you anything.

They are paid to do a job of sign autographs. Thats it and no more

I haven't read all of this thread, and unfortunately I wasn't able to be at Collectormania this time, but I have got this to say -

I don't really agree with shouting at Bill, but would it really hurt him to show some good manners, a half-second of eye contact, and a brief hello would go down quite well. I would have liked to meet him despite the bad reputation he has for the way he treats his fans, but I think I would also have said something to him about his attitude if he had been as ignorant as I know he can be.

For those of you who did meet him and were disapointed or annoyed, I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the day/weekend. For those lucky enough to have a good experience of Bill, I envy you.

What makes me laugh is the fact that if he died tomorrow, all those that have bitched and moaned about him and didnt bother paying the £25 will be kicking themselves.

You will probably end up buying a fake off eBay or paying more than £25 from a dealer.

These shows are not 'meet and greets', they are for collecting autographs.  The guests are not your friends, they dont know you and they dont owe you anything.

They are paid to do a job of sign autographs.  Thats it and no more

876359[/snapback]

No, to SOME people they are just events to collect autographs, to others it IS to meet their idol, even if it's for the briefest of moments. For those people, the signed picture is just as a reminder of the cool day they got to meet that person.

For example, my signed pic of Andy hallet, reminds me of the day I got to chat to the guy who played Lorne in Angel. It reminds me that he was a nice bloke, happy to chat to his fans... it's a nice memory.

My signed pic of the Shatner, reminds me of the day I got to stare at teh top of his head, whilst he displayed no intrest in anything other than raking in as much money as possible, egged on by a satanic manager. NOT a great memory.

If Mr Shatner were to sadly pass away tomorrow, I'll shed a tear.... then go to e-bay to sell the pciture, because it holds ZERO sentimental value to me.

I haven't read all of this thread, and unfortunately I wasn't able to be at Collectormania this time, but I have got this to say -

I don't really agree with shouting at Bill, but would it really hurt him to show some good manners, a half-second of eye contact, and a brief hello would go down quite well.  I would have liked to meet him despite the bad reputation he has for the way he treats his fans, but I think I would also have said something to him about his attitude if he had been as ignorant as I know he can be.

For those of you who did meet him and were disapointed or annoyed, I hope you were able to enjoy the rest of the day/weekend.  For those lucky enough to have a good experience of Bill, I envy you.

876363[/snapback]

Nicely put... and yes, the other guests I met MORE than made up for 'The Shatner experience'.... :wub:

These shows are not 'meet and greets', they are for collecting autographs.  The guests are not your friends, they dont know you and they dont owe you anything.

They are paid to do a job of sign autographs.  Thats it and no more

876359[/snapback]

No, to SOME people they are just events to collect autographs, to others it IS to meet their idol, even if it's for the briefest of moments. For those people, the signed picture is just as a reminder of the cool day they got to meet that person.

For example, my signed pic of Andy hallet, reminds me of the day I got to chat to the guy who played Lorne in Angel. It reminds me that he was a nice bloke, happy to chat to his fans... it's a nice memory.

My signed pic of the Shatner, reminds me of the day I got to stare at teh top of his head, whilst he displayed no intrest in anything other than raking in as much money as possible, egged on by a satanic manager. NOT a great memory.

If Mr Shatner were to sadly pass away tomorrow, I'll shed a tear.... then go to e-bay to sell the pciture, because it holds ZERO sentimental value to me.

876366[/snapback]

Yep thats exactly what I will be doing.. I bet he wished he had personalised to stop people doing that

I got his auto for my mum, though while it wasn't personalised, still pleased her as Captain Kirk will remain the love of her life.

Still, as Harty above, I'd sell mine in a heartbeat as it means naff all to me. I spent more time talking to Julie C.B, than I did Bill. Kinda disappointing, but never mind.

Andy, Nick, Kelly and Stacey more than made up for it!