WILLIAM SHATNER is a ows us an apology

wrtworthy

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Such a shame that an experience many wanted has been negative. I was lucky, i got a few words, as told in another thread.

I totally understand the chap who lost it, but not really the right way to go about things. We all lose it every now and again, hopefully not often.

Will reserve judgement on Bill until Feb, as someone else has written.

Yes, it is important that negative threads continue. Balances up the bottom kissing, deserved or not.

I have been to every CM at MK and this one was definately poorly attended and elements of the staff and crew behaved in an unacceptable way.

Which day were you there? If it was Saturday or Sunday, you will have seen this even was NOT poorly attended. As people have said on this forum, the standard of crew has improved and was pretty good at this evet.

5. All those people that went away unhappy will tell others and most of them don't touch this forum so it will in the long run affect you.

Please translate that into English, it doesn't make sense

To the person who posted saying if no party how will i see people again.....look around the web and find the other events where many of us also go.

They're fun, friendly and most importantly run by fans FOR fans and really understand us. try one and see you cna then do both and increse your fun by 100%

I repeat, you are NOT allowed to advertise other events on this forum. If you LIKE those events/forums so much, why not stay there and stop spamming/trolling THIS forum.

Yes, it is important that negative threads continue. Balances up the bottom kissing, deserved or not.

877649[/snapback]

Agreed... but much like the abuse aimed at the Shatner, there is a right way and a wrong way of doing it. Making comment and offering constructive criticism and helpful suggestions is the right way, trolling, spamming and advertising other events is the wrong way.

p.s. Just so's we're clear, I wasn't having a go at YOUR comment.

Some of you might remember me, I was the am who stood on a platform and hurled a load of abuse at him, basically I had a ticket to see him but did no in the end, once we found he was charging £25 and no photo or personaltion, and when some of our friends had seen him and told everyone how RUDE he was and how he did not even look at people, this was disgusting, it was sicking, so when I got a chance, I stood up and called him a cheap bastered and on purpose started to take  picture's with our video phones, when some of the staff asked to stop and asked to us to show respect to the actor.....I got very angry and shouted across the place that Bill should be showing a lot more respect to his fans, and that he should not be rude and told him to go home because he ant welcome, just because he is Bill gives him no right to be rude I said, the guy guarding walked off and then allowed us to take picture's (probley knew we right) I am just disgusted with him, how could he go to a place like this and be so dame rude, I also have to say that word of mouth spread so fast, everyone was coming to us and telling us not go to see him.

Carrie Fisher and Shatner are both not welcome in my book,

also my final complaint is the staff guarding these people, they seemed a lot of people who wanted to complain, mainly because they let power go to their head, they can be rude as well

here is what I have just posted on his site

Hi

Bill, Please never come back to the UK, your attitude and was disgusting, That person you heard shouting abuse at you was me, (called you a cheap bastered) your security guys asked that I respected your wish's witch I replied, that you should respect your Fans, if you cant be bothered to be at least civil to people, why come at all? or did you just come to upset people? People all over the weekend have been angry with you, mainly because you was charging so much and when people walked up to you, you could not even look them in the eye, you did not even know who was in front of you as you did not raise you head, and please don’t tell me this is  ok because there was other star trek actors there who were actually friendly and nice and gave a small chat, Im guessing this is the reason why most of the star trek cast don’t like you as well and why you had to say sorry to them (shame it is a bit too late for 2 of them) make sure you never come to this country with such a bad attitude, (omg they had to move you four times because of the hassle you was getting) and if your wondering why you had an "open  que" .... Well that is because no-one wanted to see you because word of month was spreading so fast around that place, you owe everyone an apology for being so rude

and anyone on this site who keeps saying "it ok for him to be rude, you should not have such huge expectations" I don’t care, no-one should be rude, does not matter who they are or what they are doing and Bill especially should not go and put himself in a public spotlight and be do dame horrible and also for the people on this site who says they don’t care about meting him and would never go to places like that....why are you posting on here for as this is a site for fans? and I am sure if someone was as rude to you as he was, you would be pretty upset too

so bill, now that you have pissed off all your star trek fans in the UK, make sure you never come again!

http://www.williamshatner.com/modules.php?...p=308816#308816

874419[/snapback]

AHH, good old wrtworthy...You REALLY don't change do you?

How many people over on JMS NEWS (including me - LightStorm?) forums have tried to temper your anger and direct it in positive ways. As on JMS NEWS, Whilst I may agree with some of the points you have raised, the way you have gone about trying to put them right is 100% TOTALLY WRONG. Abusive name calling???! What are you, six years old? One may be fooled into thinking that from the standard of your english!

I notice that your own girlfriend disowns your posts as not being written by her, even though you logged on in her name!

You need to learn to calm down, think about what you want to say and type it carefully otherwise it just comes off as the rantings of a semi-literate loony! Please don't be fooled by the tone...I AM REALLY TRYING TO HELP YOU GET YOUR POINTS ACROSS BETTER AND IN WAYS THAT PEOPLE WILL TAKE SERIOUSLY. As it stands, they just wont...

Edited by SlippDigby

Been reading all the comments including the one on the whinge thread.

I would like to reiterate what I have said before.

1. JCB's treatment especially of children was verging on abusive. This should never be allowed.

2. The Shatner...reserve jusdgement

3. The crew in orange working on the Shatner bit WERE offensive, jobsworth and rude and dismissive and superior...why? when the crew on other areas were great eg Erin Grey.

I still cannot get over the guy who actually threatened people by telling them to move or he'd take their cameras off them.

SM YOU have to brief your crew properly and not allow them to be coerced into behaving this way because of whomever...JCB etc

This was illegal behaviour and had anyone of them made a move to me and touched me or taken anything of mine I would have reported them for assault.

4. I did challenge crew etc at the time politely and assertively about their behaviour and came on this forum in the hope SM would listen. I have been to every CM at MK and this one was definately poorly attended and elements of the staff and crew behaved in an unacceptable way.

5. All those people that went away unhappy will tell others and most of them don't touch this forum so it will in the long run affect you.

To the person who posted saying if no party how will i see people again.....look around the web and find the other events where many of us also go.

They're fun, friendly and most importantly run by fans FOR fans and really understand us. try one and see you cna then do both and increse your fun by 100%

Ok that's my final word on the sad debacle that was C8...shame as I was a huge fan.

877547[/snapback]

all the crew members have name badges so if u have a problem like them being abusive then u can tell the organizers

not that i belive u abt them being bad as i know the people who were on his que on his days and they are very nice people. dont think u shuld blame the crew!

I think the biggest problem with this forum is that people don't get the difference between a convention and a signing event. At conventions guests are generally very accessible - they know they are there to meet the attendees and to give them a bit of an experience rather than just an autograph. So you will often see them hanging around in the bar and its great to be able to go up and have a real chat with them.

A signing event is all about the autographs. They are primarily aimed at autograph hunters. The guest is there to sit and sign auto after auto and make a great deal of money from it. Five minute relaxed chats are not going to happen at a signing event unless the guest is very vey quiet. You should never expect more than a minute per guest, and whilst photographs and personlisations are nice they are just a bonus really. If you go to a signing event expecting anything more than a smile and a signature you will be sorely disappointed.

In truth the Shatner experience wasn't unusual - its how all the US signings are run. You hand your item to the assistant who hands it to the guest, who hands it back to the assistant who gives it to you. You're lucky if at any point you are actually in front of the guest - much less that you have an opportunity to speak to them.

Yes JCB should have been politer and it would have been nice if Shatner had personlised but whilst I'm grateful that Showmasters bring over such high calibre guests people need to stop calling the Collectormanias "conventions" and start lowering their expectations a little in terms of what their meeting iwth the guest will realistically be like.

Been reading all the comments including the one on the whinge thread.

I would like to reiterate what I have said before.

1. JCB's treatment especially of children was verging on abusive. This should never be allowed.

2. The Shatner...reserve jusdgement

3. The crew in orange working on the Shatner bit WERE offensive, jobsworth and rude and dismissive and superior...why? when the crew on other areas were great eg Erin Grey.

I still cannot get over the guy who actually threatened people by telling them to move or he'd take their cameras off them.

SM YOU have to brief your crew properly and not allow them to be coerced into behaving this way because of whomever...JCB etc

This was illegal behaviour and had anyone of them made a move to me and touched me or taken anything of mine I would have reported them for assault.

4. I did challenge crew etc at the time politely and assertively about their behaviour and came on this forum in the hope SM would listen. I have been to every CM at MK and this one was definately poorly attended and elements of the staff and crew behaved in an unacceptable way.

Ok that's my final word on the sad debacle that was C8...shame as I was a huge fan.

877547[/snapback]

all the crew members have name badges so if u have a problem like them being abusive then u can tell the organizers

not that i belive u abt them being bad as i know the people who were on his que on his days and they are very nice people. dont think u shuld blame the crew!

877928[/snapback]

Yeah, im intersted to know which day this happened

• Moderators

I know the crew were told to control the photo taking from outside of the queue because it was said that there were no photos. No one was on a power trip and no one was doing something wrong.

Unfortunately people are often not willing to listen and take the "I'll do what I want" stance, and I can understand when crew get frustrated by this.

We're expected to be professional but the way some people act certainly pushes us to the limits at times. Everyone tries to remain calm and do their jobs properly, yet there are some who won't respect the crew and the jobs they have been given to do and blame THEM.

It's a hard situation, but on the whole there seems to be a happier experience with the crew this time and I'm glad to see the feedback is mostly positive. I think the Shatner queue in particular from what I saw was manned well and controlled as much as possible, with minimum backlash.

It's difficult with that many people around and trying to take photos etc - I was there when he turned up first on the Friday so I know what it's like, and I have to say that 99% of the attendees there were understanding of the situation and very well behaved. When people are like that, it makes the crew's job a lot easier, and the experience a lot more enjoyable.

I met Bill on the Saturday. I was about the 6th person to meet him after he started signing in the morning. I was a bit disappointed over the no photos decision as I like to get a picture with the person I am meeting as a nice reminder of the occasion.

When I got to the front of the queue and Bill was signing my photo I congratulated him on his recent Emmy win and told him that I had really enjoyed Boston Legal. He queried whether it had been shown over here and I told him that the first series had recently finished. He then handed my photo back and said thanks and I left the queue.

This was more than I expected after reading the posts on the forum the evening before and I wish I had attempted to shake his hand just for that sense of contact but I didn't. Everybody knew in advance what he is like so to suddenly start complaining about his behaviour seems strange although I do agree that JCB may have exacerbated things somewhat on several occasions.

I personally had a great day and all of the other people I met were excellent. Very friendly, chatty and had no problems with photos although I gather Adam West stopped later in the day.

The other thing that made this day for me was that after meeting Bill and Majel I have now met all the main Original Series cast with the exception of DeForrest Kelley.

I enjoyed myself and happily look forward to the next events.

"""QUOTE(sci frog @ Oct 5 2005, 08:16 PM)

To answer some questions; it was Saturday and yes I thought that even though it looked busy it wasn't as busy on previous dates.

Thank you for the tip about names, if it EVER happens again I will take names and contact you.

Sorry if my grammar was beyond you but in essence I was trying to say feedback on the forum is important, listen to what people are saying (many quite reasonably) and act on it. BUT many people who were treated badly, and felt bad that they didn't get even a hello will spread a negative word.

We need all the fan events we can get, cons AND auto events.

There is a difference and I do believe most understand that but in essence there were some genuine complaints and I think those are the ones you need to sift out.

Any company supplying a service should be prepared to listen to their customers without dismissing them or encouraging snide remarks.

So do try to listen, I, like others are trying to give you constructive feedback, if you don't want it , say so and we'll take our custom and our freinds, colleagues and member's custom elsewhere.

• Moderators

And just as a note, Showmasters aren't the only ones to not allow mentioning/advertising of other shows, so it's not just them.

It's generally standard to not allow other events to be discussed on specific event boards!

There are plenty of autograph collecting forums etc which are not affiliated with specific organisers and so it makes sense that you can post anything you want there.

I know this is not the case for all forums, but we just have to respect whatever rules they choose to implement.

Eep...I am so glad I didn't witness that rant. There is a right and wrong way to air your opinion, I'm afraid it looks like you picked the wrong way.

I can understand you are a bit miffed and all, but like others have said, shouting abuse doesn't help your cause at all. All this does, is put the rest of us in a bad light and make you look like some kind of nutter.

I was able to join the queue without having to get a VT ticket and once he arrived and started signing, I was done and dusted, literally within minutes.

Yes it was extremely hurried, but to be honest, I didn't expect a lot anyway as I knew of his past reputation.

I did get eye contact, and a "nice to meet you", so compared to a lot of people, I came out of it rather well.

It is a shame that bad experiences happen, I have had one myself, but I wouldn't go as far as to stand up in a crowded area and shout abuse at the person in question, that would be extremely rude, in fact, you acted in the same manner, of which you are accusing William Shatner.

Maybe if you aired your complaints a little more constructively, you might be taken much more seriously.

Hi everyone,

First, excuse my bad English. I am still learning...

I have also something to say about mr Shatner. I did't attended Collectormania 8 because I already bought a ticket for an German convention where Mr. Shatner would be.

The story is, and these are rumors so please don't kill me if I'm wrong: William Shatner cancelled the German convention because this convention was financialy more interesting. And that hurts......

The German convention had a huge problem, the headliner cancelled!!! And we, fans, had a problem because William was not coming. A lot of people where dissapointed and angry for the way William is doing his buisness. :huh:

Greeting,

Robbie

The Netherlands

PS: the German convention was still wonderfull without mr Shatner. I was expecting no less from them. :wub:

At the end of the day, we had that inkling he would not give his fans the benefit of a smile, handshake etc., but will find he will never come back if his so called "true" fans give him GBH of the ear! I was VERY disappointed with him but having friends who DID manage to get some good pics of him, there is a consolation behind all this. Just DON'T invite that bloody JCB woman though!

Several of the original series actors don't personalise, see James Doohan's autobiography for the reasons why. Having read it I knew not to expect a personalisation. I would have liked a photo of William Shatner though - if you have one please e-mail a copy to me at:

AndyClark501@hotmail.com

Thanks!

876329[/snapback]

Any chance of elaborating? What where James Doohans reasons?

876500[/snapback]

Firstly he had a heck of a lot of people to get through and didn't want people to go home disappointed so no personalisations means more people get his autograph. Secondly it has resale value after you pass awayand your family can get something for it. Personaly I'd rather get a personalisation, but I respect his decision and the reasons for it.

The story is, and these are rumors so please don't kill me if I'm wrong: William Shatner cancelled the German convention because this convention was financialy more interesting. And that hurts......

878648[/snapback]

I sure hope that is nothing more than a rumour!

879628[/snapback]

I'm sure there is a statement somewhere on this board as to the circumstances of WS changing where he was appearing that weekend not only from Showmasters but form others. Can't find it atm but if I do I'll be sure to update this post.

Hi all. This is my first post here, so be gentle :lol:

My opinion of William Shatner has gone down considerably since paying £25 for his squiggle at CM8 :angry:

I can live without the personalisation, but the thing that bugged me the most was that everyone in the queue (both before and after me) didn't even get a glance from him. He didn't look up once :lol::huh: How rude is that? I mean, the guy wouldn't even have been there if it hadn't been for us.

As I said after meeting the fabulous Marina Sirtis (sat next to Shatner at the time) in a very loud voice, "Shatner could learn a thing or two from her" :D

Speaking of Marina. If any of the large group who were having their photos taken with her when I walked through the shot, please forgive me. I was still raging at Shatner and humbly apologise.

One final thing.... Is there a difference between an autograph and a signature?

I only ask, because I've seen the end credits of Star Trek 6, and the autograph I got from Shatner looks nothing like his signature in the end credits. Were we ripped off by a clone? :blink::huh:

I met Leonard Nimoy earlier this year and he was so different to meeting Mr Shatner. He did not personalise or have posed pictures but I did get a picture of him when he was signing. He took time to say hello and shake my hand.

So not all "big stars" have to be the way Shatner was.

My son and daughter were first time at a convention and they were disappointed at Shatner's treatment. Put them off meeting other equivalent size people.

Ooops!! ;)

I know I've heard many times Shatner can be a bit of a b******d but even so writing this to him is a bit extreme. No offence to the author as I am sure he's very angry/upset but this isn't really the right way to go about it and William Shatner is one of the hardest guests to get to come to these events and so it was quite amazing to actually see him listed to come over here. I have never met the man and don't particulary want to, but my advice is as soon as you felt he showed ignorance/rudeness [him or any other actor] to the fans you should have steered clear from him.

>>here is what I have just posted on his site

Hi

Bill, Please never come back to the UK, your attitude and was disgusting, That person you heard shouting abuse at you was me, (called you a cheap bastered) your security guys asked that I respected your wish's witch I replied, that you should respect your Fans, if you cant be bothered to be at least civil to people, why come at all? or did you just come to upset people? People all over the weekend have been angry with you, mainly because you was charging so much and when people walked up to you, you could not even look them in the eye, you did not even know who was in front of you as you did not raise you head, and please don’t tell me this is ok because there was other star trek actors there who were actually friendly and nice and gave a small chat, Im guessing this is the reason why most of the star trek cast don’t like you as well and why you had to say sorry to them (shame it is a bit too late for 2 of them) make sure you never come to this country with such a bad attitude, (omg they had to move you four times because of the hassle you was getting) and if your wondering why you had an "open que" .... Well that is because no-one wanted to see you because word of month was spreading so fast around that place, you owe everyone an apology for being so rude

and anyone on this site who keeps saying "it ok for him to be rude, you should not have such huge expectations" I don’t care, no-one should be rude, does not matter who they are or what they are doing and Bill especially should not go and put himself in a public spotlight and be do dame horrible and also for the people on this site who says they don’t care about meting him and would never go to places like that....why are you posting on here for as this is a site for fans? and I am sure if someone was as rude to you as he was, you would be pretty upset too

so bill, now that you have pissed off all your star trek fans in the UK, make sure you never come again!

http://www.williamshatner.com/modules.php?...p=308816#308816

This post has been edited by wrtworthy: Oct 2 2005, 10:00 AM

Even as someone with little interest in William Shatner (more of a Troi girl myself, as you might notice from the rather biased tone of this message!!), I have to say that it sounds like he wasn't exactly being decent towards his fans.

I've heard remarks before about Shatner being either rude or sardonic - but it's no wonder he has that kind of reputation if he doesn't even acknowledge people who are willing to spend money to be in his presence.

I was lining up to see Marina Sirtis, who was lovely

874599[/snapback]

...as ever! :P [although I did read something once about somebody who met her and found her arrogant, and she seemed to be treating the event like a job she had to reluctantly do. I may have misunderstood, though, as the site was in German and online translators aren't infallible...failing that, she was having an off-day that day.]

I agree with so many points that JCB was running his signing and mouthing off...hell i burst out laughing when Marina leant over me and told her to shut the hell up (what she really said i wont post lol) cos she was getting a headache  :lol:

875328[/snapback]

By the time I got to Collectormania on Saturday, Shatner and the evidently horrid 'JCB' (I have a suggestion what the B could alternatively stand for, but I won't post it as it'll get censored) were quite a distance away from Marina...maybe she insisted they were moved away to avoid scaring her fans away!! B) Luckily for me I didn't see scary JCB but she sounds like an absolute nightmare!!!!!! (and that's putting it mildly!) Forgive my ignorance, but was she ever an actress, or am I getting her confused with somebody else?

As I said after meeting the fabulous Marina Sirtis (sat next to Shatner at the time) in a very loud voice, "Shatner could learn a thing or two from her" :D

879841[/snapback]

Sounds like he really could!! No wonder people call Marina "the Queen of the Convention" when she makes a genuine effort to be nice to the people who come to meet her at events (well, in my experience, anyway). Collectormania was the 5th time I've met her (unless internet chats count), and she not only remembered me from the website (despite going online disappointingly rarely!) but also liked the cartoon pictures of Deanna Troi that I gave her, and even hugged me! ^_^ Apparently she went for coffee with two other fans from the website before I got there, as well. Now that's better than getting an autograph where you don't even see the star signing it, I must say...! (That said, Marina's queue was probably less busy - when I was there, I *was* the queue...!!)

It's always good to be made to feel like you matter to someone important - even if it's just through something little like being allowed a picture with them, or having them say something nice to you. Take a hint, Captain Jerk...[sorry, Kirk]!!!!!!!!!!

~St*r

" 'JCB'..... but was she ever an actress, or am I getting her confused with somebody else?"

She indeed was an actress, well...she was in some episodes of BABYLON 5, mainly 1st season. She played Na'Toth (G'Kar's diplomatic aid). To be fair, she was OK in that but as a fan of the show and a person who has a good idea how JM Straczynski's mind works (The creator and main writer of B5) I should have seen the signs when he kept the character on in the second season....but had her played by another actress!:angry:

I met her at a HUGE B5 Con many years ago in Blackpool and believe me, she was just as full of herself then as she is now. Being an agent must be her third career choice so far because she obviously doesn't act any more and back at that past convention she was trying to launch a singing career (which obviously failed) :lol::pyth::pyth:

HARDY HAR HAR, whoops pardon me...

I should have seen the signs when he kept the character on  in the second season....but had her played by another actress!:angry:

881569[/snapback]

I'd heard that she decided to leave because she disliked the large amount of prosthetics used for her character. Some people can cope with prosthetics easily, but others find it a lot harder.