Regarding William Shatner

showmasters

surley its not sm whos says who can and cant have posed pics thats down to the guests and there managers is it not? something like that is out of there hands

I had a bad time at c7 with cocky crew above there station and go pushed and pulled but this year i had a great time and the crew were great chatty and freindly.

As for what was going on with bill shatner i havent a clue as i didnt go to meet him im not a fan but i look at it from the point of view if they allowed fans to stop and chat for 5 minutes a piece then all the fans who have turned up to see the guest wouldent so in a way a understand this he is a big guest and people want to meet him simple as like someone said before it is a signing event not a convention and thats what u have to expect, if you are moaning about the cost of the auto thats simple dont pay it

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To give William Shatner his dues ...

Myself and my gf went to see him today, fully expecting to have to buy a queuing ticket and wait some hours in order to see him. However, it was like nothing of the sort.

We went to where he was moved to at around 1.30pm or so, got in with no worries after paying the £25 for a pic. We walked across to where he was and, although he wasn't rude or grumpy at all, he did look like his head was spinning and he also looked VERY tired.

It was still a great experience. Thanks SM for inviting him over, hopefuly if he decides to do another Collectormania again he'll remember to fly over a few days in advance in order to get acclimatised first.

While I understand some of the earlier posters weren't too happy with the experience, we certainly were, despite the fact that WS was so tired.

We live and learn, eh :)

cheers,

Felice.

I have to say that I was pleasantly surprised to find out that he had an 'open queue' by the time I arrive at 9.45 ish.

I paid my money, chose my picture and joined the line, impressed with the fact that he was getting through the line as quick as he was.

Then, the closer I got the more horrified I was. 'Shabs' at least I think that was his name was marching up and down the line like some blinged up gestapo member demanding that people put their cameras away - not asking mind, demanding.

The picture was then torn out of my hand by some hag of a woman who looked at me like I was a piece of s*** and shoved at the Shatner who signed it.

Now I appear to be one of the lucky ones who had some interaction with him. He asked how I was doing and I thanked him for coming. He actually looked very bemused by this woman and genuinely appeared to want to actually interact with the fans but that was obviously something he'd been told not to do. (then again he IS an actor so this may have been for show).

I totally understand the none-posed thing and even the no photos whilst he is signing your pick but what would it take to let you just squeeze off a quick shot after you are out of the line (not much is the answer).

At the end of the day I met the Shatner and got his autograph.

I'm not that big a trek fan but recognise his legacy and I was disgusted by the way the fans were herded through by that evil wench.

I can only imagine how disappointed I would be if I was a huge trek fan and had made a huge journey specifically to see him.

Nice guest SM but next time try having a crew with manners.

Still if you work out that the Shatner will do 1000+ autos per day thats over £75,000.00 for the weekend and I highly doubt they've paid him more than £25,000.00 to be there.

Quite a nice tidy profit methinks

Considering an autograph by any original crew was always over 100 quid, and Shatner's was much more, paying 25 is a bargain. But in a shopping centre, we're not talking about those fans with a bit of knowledge. Most there would be intrigued by seeing him, and be put off by the experience.

Good thing I'm getting there tomorrow after he's gone. I'd hate to see a remake of 'They shoot Horses, don't they'.

Well we did see Shatner,drove for 3 hours to get there, queued for a while,paid £50.00, queued some more,got shouted at by a crew member because the person I was with had a camera in her hand, she put it away as soon as she was told to. She was then shoved back into my side by the same crew member. We queued some more got closer to Shatner had our pictures torn from our hands by some awlful woman,he signed them and they were shoved back at us. The person I was with plucked up her courage to say thank you to a man she loves ever since her parents introduced her to Original Startrek some years ago.Before she had a chance to speak we were shoved out the way and pushed out the side of the queue. Drove 3 hours to get home. Not too bad for me but the person I was with , my daughter ,cried all the way home...well she is 10 years old.

I won't bother again.

I expected this - so I thought AHA a master plan. I'll get him to sign my copy of TekWar. He'd probably appreciate somone wanting a book he'd written, signed.

I was wrong but at least I made him look at me as I wanted it signed in biro and I actually had to hand it to him and take it back.

Let me get this straight, you weren't even allowed to hand the picture over, someone did it for you???

Katie xx

874320[/snapback]

I think its disgusting the SM crew behaving like that

874327[/snapback]

Not sure it was the SM crews fault - seems to me that JCB was barking all of the orders

Let me get this straight, you weren't even allowed to hand the picture over, someone did it for you???

Katie xx

874320[/snapback]

I think its disgusting the SM crew behaving like that

874327[/snapback]

Not sure it was the SM crews fault - seems to me that JCB was barking all of the orders

874330[/snapback]

Who is JCB??? :D

Katie xx

I was 6ft from Shatner when Julie Caitlin Brown grabbed my photo and got it signed while the couple in front of me had 8 Autos in front of WS. She handed me it back and I left with not even a Shatner hello/goodbye. Someone should give that miserable JCB a cattle prod next time so she can hurt us when we pass by her. The only thing really I can fault WS on is he signs too fast. The other guests appreciate their fans by chatting/photo and auto all in a reasonable time limit. (Chloe/Summer/Allen/Bach/Helfer/Eleniak/Lovett/Hallett & Barrett)

hmmm Summer :D

"Not too bad for me but the person I was with , my daughter ,cried all the way home...well she is 10 years old."

Yup that about shows how awful the crew were no consideration for anyone no matter who.

What a contrast to Andy hallet who despite a sign saying no posed photos was enchanting to my freind's little girl and even had his picture with her.

The crew around Shatner and that awful woman were like soldiers and they cared not what or how they treated people.

SM you have to change your attitude on this or risk losing a lot of people's goodwill and willingness to come to your events.

I got to MK at 8am yesterday. I had number 115 on a VT - I thought "well I shall meet a living legend after all!"

I did too

It took all of a few seconds!

Having seen Nimoy earlier in the year at Excel I knew that Shatner would be the same - hello and goodbye and heres the auto no personlisation, no chat, no pics no nothing.

If I just want an autograph I can always buy one form the dealer stalls - but I do prefer to see these people in the flesh, get a feel for them, maybe even have a very brief exchange of pleasentries.

Nimoy I made shake my hand and without letting go I asked "I see your not directing anymore?" NO he replied, "so now you dabble in photography?" YEAH ITS FUN GREAT TO MEET YOU!

By half 2 I had been told Shatner had wizzed through all his VT's and it didnt really matter I was 115 - it was an open queue "please join the queue!" I was told.

I was able to take time to select a couple of pics - one young and one old Kirk but I had a Star Trek V DVD that I had just bought from a dealer for £10 that is the 2 disc sp ed. Had hurridly ripped the celophane off and pulled the cover out of its sleeve.

I handed my pic over and then pushed the dvd and its cover under Shatners nose and said "can you sign the DVD cover too?"

I had hoped that seeing Star Trek V Shatner may have made some passing reference or looked up or anything! But at this point - it was a no!

Then JCB screamed "DID HE PAY FOR TWO SIGS!!! - HES ALREADY HAD A PIC SIGNED AND NOW HES GETTING A DVD SIGNED!"

Bill had scrawled something on the DVD and I put my hand on his podgy right hand that was holding the pen and said "Thanks Bill, great to see you!"

He looked up, with watery tired eyes (I guess he was pretty jet lagged) and had this lovely smile on his face of complete beamusement at the whole thing and said "HI!"

I didnt hang around because I knew it wasnt the "done thing" with the way that the military operation was going.

Suffice to say I MADE BILL speak to me - JCB made me feel like scum. I dont know whos idea it was to rush us all through - its not necessary since other big names spend time with fans - even ifits a simple min or two - Ive seen it before where they say in the queue to you - no photos or personalisations please we have to get the queue through as quick as poss.

So, 2 points - Showmasters - why do you ALLOW JCB to gatecrash your event? I heard form another crew member that she does this and your all TOO SCARED OF HER! she is insulting and ruining the experience for YOUR CUSTOMERS!

... point 2 - if you are going to have BIG NAME GUESTS - and you do VT's - then at least have the courtesy to allow the guests to have their time with them - if you have handed out 600 VT's let the guest go through them in their own time - unless of course either you or the guest is a money grabbing so and so - and for this I havent a clue where Mr Shatner is on this one.

Collectormanias have steadily got worse for me - the only reason I go back for more is that the odd guest amazes me - Kristanna Loken oozed sex appeal and draped herself all over me for a pic, Penny Johnson had me in stitches with her sarcasm - even her husband joined in too, and John Billingsley last year was so lovely to chat to we found out that we had pretty much the same perscription in glasses and swapped them - he wore my specs and I put his on for a few mins to "see the world" - bearing in mind that his glasses (when hes not Dr Phlox!) have starred in Hollywood films and TV shows then I guess I have worn a prop/costume!!!

As time has gone on - what has ruined the collectormanias is the way you are treated like some nasty thing with foot and mouth and rushed through by staff members - some who seem to think they are security on the latest Star Wars film and will stop at nothing to prevent you taking a pic, haveing a peek or just going about your business!

Edited by az_ophi

I'm really sorry but I don't understand all the confusion in this thread. If you search on the internet you'll find out quickly what it's like when mr. Shatner visits a signing event. I can just say I'm very happy that I had the opportunity to pick up his autopgraph. I can understand some people are disappointed; on the other hand you must praise Showmasters (and yes: JCB as well); they arranged that as many people as possible got home with the autograph of a legend!

Yes, I understand that it's nice to have a chat with a star or to have a posed picture taken; but people will have to understand that this isn't always possible.

To be honest, I think 25 quid is very reasonable for the Shatner. Somebody said it was too pricey cause they remember when autos were free! But how do you expect the organisers to pay for them to be there?

The whole way that SM treat people, and the way they let JCB treat people just cause they're scared of her, really makes me angry. It makes me think they are all just bully fan girls and boys who get off on pushing people around, JCB is just a bigger bully than they are. She really should be put down, she makes small children cry for crissakes!

As for pushing people in the queue, and threatening to take cameras off people, just tell them to eff off and call the police! It's harrassment! Properly trained bouncers and security guards deal with situations with far more diplomacy and respect. Physcial contact and verbal threats are a last resort.

If JCB and the SM heavies are going to Manchester please let me know (not that SM ever replies to posts!) cause I won't be going if they are. I was really looking forward to it too. Hopefully if Labour have another party conference at the same time then the heavies won't be there. They'll be at their day job manhandling 82 year old hecklers.

Ok so you the punter are in the queue and can see how Shatner and SM are treating the paying public and what do you go and do? Stay in the Q!!! and then moan about how was badly you were treated. All the moaners had to do was to say sod it ask for the money back and walk out.

Of course you didn't because in the end all you came for was the auto which you got for a bargin.

Get over it.

Edited by Noddy

Maybe one of the reasons why there are so many "newbies" responding to the "treatment" on here is because they are shocked by the treatment - if people are bothered enough to post here then it must really have been a disappointment.

I for one was expecting the treatment - as have had previous bad experiences both at SM shows and others, but sometimes your pleasently surprised - which is why I DO stay in a queue - also though I think you have to take into account that some people will have travelled a good distance, taken time off work, poss booked a hotel nearby etc and you want it to be fun day out and not be ruined by "jobsworths".

iv noticed something most of the moaners are new to the forums as well

*i see a pattern forming*  :unsure:  :rolleyes:

874439[/snapback]

Why is there this prevailing view on the Internet that newbies opinions are worth less than regulars? Just because someone does not have thousands of posts to their name, or registered that long, why should they count for less?

Although I have been registered for 2 years or so, I have not posted that often. Does that mean when I do speak that my view is of lesser importance to the regulars? Surely the whole point of these forums is for EVERBODY to be able discuss SM events, both the positive (of which there is quite a lot) and the negative?

Apologies if this upsets the "in crowd" but I'm just speaking up for free speech! :headscratch:

*i see a pattern forming*  :blink:  :unsure:

874439[/snapback]

Why is there this prevailing view on the Internet that newbies opinions are worth less than regulars? Just because someone does not have thousands of posts to their name, or registered that long, why should they count for less?

Although I have been registered for 2 years or so, I have not posted that often. Does that mean when I do speak that my view is of lesser importance to the regulars? Surely the whole point of these forums is for EVERBODY to be able discuss SM events, both the positive (of which there is quite a lot) and the negative?

Apologies if this upsets the "in crowd" but I'm just speaking up for free speech!:rolleyes:

874517[/snapback]

It was meant as a joke hence the smiley face at the end of what i put, im all down with free speech no problem with it at all but all people have done since the event is moan every thread u look at is people moaning about this and that why create loads of threads with the same thing in them all if your not happy with what happened over the weekend open your mouth there and use your freedom of speech as u put it then maybe it can be corrected there and then for u.

If you cant do that then create one thread for sm to go through when they get back :headscratch:

*i see a pattern forming*  :rolleyes:  :headscratch:

874439[/snapback]

This happens after every show. There are bound to be some complaints, and some of those will be people who have registered specifically to complain. There is nothing sinister about this; it's human nature. Think about it - if you are so outraged by a perceived failing, you may well try to find somewhere appropriate to register your disappointment. It's a lot less likely that people will be registering to say how wonderful they found the experience. Not to suggest that this was because the event wasn't wonderful, it's just the way human nature is - people are always quicker/more likely to moan about something bad than to praise something good.

So people haven't been (posting) here for eons - they may be ignorant of some of the history or some of the quirkiness that has happened here, but it doesn't necessarily mean that their opinions are invalid, or to be less valued than somebody who could fill several phone directories full with their postings. In some cases what they say can be countered with an "Ah, but if you'd been here before you would have known that...", but in some cases they make perfectly valid points which deserve consideration.

*i see a pattern forming*  :unsure:  :rolleyes:

874439[/snapback]

Apologies if this upsets the "in crowd" but I'm just speaking up for free speech! :headscratch:

874517[/snapback]

Rag, take comfort from the fact that long after the general singing/convention event attending public have abandoned Showmasters events, Vampess and the tiny number of other harcore SM luvvies on here will be the only people who still go.

After the Shatner public relations debacle of this weekend, I can't see any newbies who attended C8 to see Shatner ever attending another SM event.

874533[/snapback]

Hold on a minute i have said before that at c7 i had a really bad time with crew members but i complained once unlike some people on here that have complained everywhere on this board and i choose to carry on going to these signings becoz of certain guests i wanna see, i dont think that the running of these events are great but if something gets to me on the day i open my mouth to the person that done it and sort it out there and then and just becoz i post alot does not make me a hardcore fan by far i come on here becoz there are people i chat alot to on these boards not becoz i love sm :blink:

Edited by vampess

If just getting the autograph is what this event means to you, then congratulations, because as you said it was a right result for you.

However I think for a lot of people this event is about meeting the guests, and actually "meeting" them as supposed to seeing a bit of paper signed in front of them.  Yes, I do want the auto's as well but it is nice to have at least some acknowledgment from the guests.  Either a handshake, ask them how they are, they thank you for coming, tell them you enjoy their work etc.

All of the other guests managed it (at least that we know of) yet the Shatner and JCB couldn't/woouldn't.  If you want a fangirl experience see C4 and the Hobbit's that was bad.  The only pressie I could see anyone giving Bill would be a new toupee.  :P

Maybe in the future SM could get big guests like Shatner to pre-sign some photos.  And then for people like yourself who appear to just want the auto for a good price, could mail in to SM and get a signed photo back.  A quick solution with no fangirls or anyone else speaking with the guest and delaying your place in the Q.

874135[/snapback]

The whole point of these events is to see your item being signed so you know its real. I would not touch a pre-signed photo.

Yes this was the "McDonalds" of autograph queues, everything was slicker so they could get everyone through. I think they were expecting 4000 on Saturday alone. I'm sure if Elijah signed like this there would be a lot less dissapointed collectors.

Also if you can get so many people through the queue its more likely that SM can get there money back without having to increase prices. 4000 people spending £25 is better than 1000 people being signed for £100.

Most of the people I saw go through the Shats queue (I went through twice) just acted like sheep. The people who did bother to talk to Bill got a polite response and a smile even though he was obviously very tired.

This shows that SM can get the big stars and get EVERYBODY who wants an autograph through the queue. I can't wait to see who they get for C9!!

Basil

Edited by Basil