Michael Sheard has died

Gambit

Actor Michael Sheard, best known for playing teacher Mr Bronson in long-running children's TV drama Grange Hill in the 1980s, has died aged 65.

Sheard gained wider fame as Admiral Ozzel in 1980 Star Wars film The Empire Strikes Back.

His other film roles included Indiana Jones and The Last Crusade - one of a string of appearances as Adolf Hitler - and was a regular guest in Doctor Who.

His agent said he had cancer and died at home on the Isle of Wight.

R.I.P

Michael was a legend on the Convention Circuit and helped out many charity events, particularly acting as MC.

He was also just about the scariest teacher ever on TV as Mr Bronson, and when I finally got to meet him , probably one of the friendliest and nicest actors I have met.

If you ever get to read his series of books then do, as he was also a funny and witty writer.

I am honestly quite upset by this news.

So best wishes to his family and Michael Sheard, R.I.P.

I am absolutely, genuinely gutted by this sad news !

I have met Michael many many times at signing events and dedicated Dr Who / Star Wars cons. A more generous and accommodating man you could not hope to meet !

At a Dr Who con in a Coventry hotel circa 1999 my friend I had the pleasure of sharing his table for a wonderful three course dinner. A charming man with unsurpassable wit and intellect. His on stage interviews, MC'ing of proceedings, and indeed his signing sessions were always a joy to be part of.

On our way home on the Monday morning, we met Michael again at the station, as we waited for our respective trains. We were hesitant to infringe on his private time, but Michael warmly greeted us, calling me by name, and asking us how our weekend at the con had been and what our travel plans were now. Chit chat I know, but genuine, sincerely interested chit-chat ! He even passed me his email address and said if I dropped him a line, he would send me details of another event he was doing near where I live.

Mr Bronson came to Grange Hill the year before I left Primary school, and proceeded to make a wonderful job scaring the life out of me. For an actor, this was exactly what he set out to do. As a person, Michael could not have been more different.

I know he cancelled an event last week due to illness, but hadn't seen this sad news coming by a long shot. I was already looking forward to seeing him again later this year, at at least two events I will be attending - both in Birmingham as it happens ! I cannot possibly praise Michael Sheard highly enough, and the world is already a duller place without him.

KENDAL !!!!!! Come here ^_^

Yours, Aye.

Very sad, shocking news, but not totally unexpected really.

When I met him in February, he looked frail and much older than his 65 years.

65 really is no age to go.

Rest in peace, Michael. We'll miss you greatly.

That is very sad news, and a great loss to the TV and Film World and the convention curcuit. I had the pleasure of meeting Michael at Panopticon 2 years ago he was a great man, greeting the attendees with a smile and one memory that will stay with me was him starting the disco with 'School's out for Summer' His memory will live on for those of us out there old enough to remember him as Mr Bronsan, and his numerous appearances in Doctor Who and the part of Admiral Ozzel in Star Wars the Empire Strikes Back.

A very entertaining man with a wonderful sense of humour. He will be greatly missed my thoughts are with his family and friends at this sad time.

Very, very sad news.

I give my best to his family, and I'm sure they'll be comforted by the fact that he gave all of us so much publicly through his work on the big and small screens which will be with us forever, and privately by his personal appearances where he touched and cheered each of us who met him!

RIP a true gentleman.

:firedevil:

I'm genuinely shocked and upset here.

I too was scared witless by Mr Bronson, and got the opportunity to meet him at Collectormania and tell him this - he laughed and told me that he considered his job well done then.

As an aside, he also asked me (in *the* Bronson voice) if I knew what Admiral Ozzell's first name was. Apparently, and completely coincidentally, one of the expanded universe authors gave Admiral Ozzell the christian name of.... Bronson.

A sad loss, a great actor and complete gentleman.