ANSWERS to FAQs - Regularly updated with show info

Too Tall

• Showmasters Admin

I started one of these in the C8 area HERE and thought it maybe of use in here too. I've changed it slightly for Collectormania G-Mex though. As it's a completely new event I don't know as much about it as I do the MK Collectormania event, but hopefully this will still be useful.

Again like my C8 thread my main hope for this thread is that Newbies will be able to get the info they want quickly. But also that it will help to stop the multiple threads that get started asking the same questions over and over.

Most things are in the FAQ Section so please look there before posting. If what you want to know isn't there or below, please do have a look at the previous threads to make sure it's not been asked and answered before. If not then please post I'm sure someone will know the answer :wub:

What I've tried to do is fill in some of the gaps by answering some of the old ones:

Firstly here is the G-Mex website that has a lot of useful info on the venue.

1 - BEFORE THE SHOW:

It's my first Collectormania G-Mex I have no idea what I should do...HELP?

When is it?

What are the opening times?

Where is it?

How much is it?

Can I buy entry and talk tickets in advance?

Will there be any more guests?

Who is signing what days?

Autograph prices?

What are gold passes and how do I get one?

2 - ON THE DAY:

Can I come and go as I want?

Is there a lower price for autographs on personal items?

How many autographs can I get at once?

What pictures will a guest have?

Are there any restrictions on what items can be signed?

What time should I get there?

How busy will INSERT GUEST NAME be?

What are the guests like? A WARNING!!

What are Virtual Tickets and how do they work?

What time do the guests arrive?

What time do the guests have lunch?

What time do the guests stop signing?

Can I have a photo with a guest and will the guests be doing personalisations?

Can I go up with my friend/partner/child to see the guest, I'm not getting an autograph?

Can I see a guest without paying for an autograph?

What should I say to a guest and how should I act?

Can I give a guest a present?

3 - STALLS:

What do the stalls sell and what are the prices like?

Can I use Scottish or Northern Irish money at the event?

4 - TALKS:

What talks will there be?

Where do I get talk tickets from?

Can I get my friend a ticket, or do they have to queue up as well?

How much are the talks?

I'm only going on Sunday, will all the tickets go on Saturday for the Sunday talks?

Where will the talks be?

Are the talk tickets seat numbered?

What time should I get to a talk?

Can I stay in my seat if I have a ticket for the next talk?

Can I get autographs at the talks?

Can I have photos with the guests at the talks?

5 - USEFUL INFO

How do I get there?

Where can I stay?

Where can I eat?

Where can I park?

Where can I put my luggage on the first day?

Where is the nearest cash machine or foreign exchange facility?

Last Minute Necessities and Emergencies!

6 - DISABLED INFO:

Advice for disabled people who are planning to attend an event!

7 - OTHER:

How can I meet other forum members?

I want to crew an SM event?

1 - BEFORE THE SHOW:

It's my first Collectormania G-Mex I have no idea what I should do...HELP?

The main thing is don't be too worried and don't panic. Some people see 15-20 guests in a day. Yes there are queues but if you're sensible about it you will see everyone you want to. You just need to make sure you get there at a reasonable time if you want to see any of the big stars. See What time should I get there? for more info.

The basic plan:

1: Make a list of who you want to see from the Collectormania website (not set up yet)

2: Sort that list on who you think will be the busiest. So most popular first. You may have someone that's not so popular but you REALLY want to meet so you bump them up the list. It's also a good idea to try and group guests from the same film/series together as they will very likely be sat next to each other.

So you won't want to have (This is just an example, these guests were at C7):

James Marster (Buffy/Angel)

Sean Astin (LOTR)

Alexis Denisof (Angel)

John Ryes Davis (LOTR)

Because Sean and John would be sat next to each other and so would James and Alexis. You'd move Alexis up one so you got them at the same time.

3: Try and get to the Show before 9:00. Before 8:00 if you have 3 or 4 big names on your list like the one above.

4: Once you get in, don't look at the stalls. Go straight to the ends of the queues in the order on your list and get the Virtual Tickets (VTs are explained below).

Note: With some minor guests they won't have VTs. Don't worry about this it's because they won't have much of a queue all day. You can come back at anytime to get them.

5: Once you have VTs for everyone you want you can then relax, walk around the stalls and get a coffee.

6: Wait for your VT numbers to come up. When they do, go get those autos :D

Note: If you know you're going to want items personalised it's a really good idea to bring a piece of paper with your name clearly written/printed on it. This way you can give it to the guest and there is no chance of spelling mistakes.

Note: As a lot of the guests are £15 SM run out of £5 notes very quickly. So it's always very helpful if you bring along as many £5s as you can.

Note : Some guests will have talks and obviously this means they will have less time for signing, also you don't want to turn up when they've gone for their talk. So do check to see if a guest is doing a talk (Of course you may want to go to it).

When is it?

11th-12th Feb 2006

What are the opening times?

Saturday - 9am to 6pm

Sunday - 10am to 5pm

Where is it?

The G-Mex centre Manchester. G-Mex website

How much is?

SATURDAY ADMISSION: Early Bird £10 (from 9am)

Standard Entry (11am to 6pm) Adults £5, Children £3 (Under 12)

SUNDAY ADMISSION: No Early Bird

Standard Entry (10am to 5pm) Adults £5, Children £3 (Under 12)

Can I buy entry and talk tickets in advance?

To order tickets click here

You can also buy the entry tickets (including early bird tickets) on the door. And talk tickets at the event it's self.

Will there be any more guests?

There is normally a minimum of 30 guests at the show (not including any extra reunions).

Please don't post "Is that all the guests?" as SM will never say YES. As there is always the chance of extra guests at the last minute. So please don't ask.

Who is signing what days?

LATEST UPDATE (09/01/06) - All guests are attending both days as announced >>HERE<<

SM have confirmed that as with previous LFCCs most of the guests will be signing both days. But this is NOT a guarantee, so do check the website.

Showmasters have always updated the show website and don't answer posts on the forum. So just keep an eye on the website. SM will update the website once a guests days are confirmed.

Do keep an eye on the forum and website on the run up to the event as they can and do change. If there is a major change at the last minute SM normally post on the forum as well as changing the website.

Autograph prices?

A specific price list MAYBE posted by SM, but until then the rule of thumb is that guests will be £15 or £20. On some rare occasions some have been £10 or £25. So it is best to budget for £20 per guest and then you wouldn't go wrong.

For a more precise price go to the MSPG website. They normally have most of the guests on there as a pre-order. They add £10 onto the autograph price on the day. e.g. If they are asking for £25, the guest will be £15 on the day.

All guest prices for G-Mex have been announced >>HERE<<

Note: As a lot of the guests are £15 SM run out of £5 notes very quickly. So it's always very helpful if you bring along as many £5s as you can.

What are gold passes and how do I get one?

For more information on Gold Passes and to buy one >>CLICK HERE<<

2 - ON THE DAY:

Can I come and go as I want?

When you leave for the first time you will be given a stamp on the back of your hand so that you can leave and re-enter as many times as you like.

Is there a lower price for autographs on personal items?

No, the price shown is per autograph. This is the same price for either personal items or the show provided pictures.

How many autographs can I get at once?

The max number of autographs is 5 per person.

If you want more than 5, then you can either go up when the queue is quiet and then the crew will normally allow you to have up to 7 or 8. Or simply queue multiple times and get up to 5 each time.

What pictures will a guest have?

SM do not post what pictures a guest will have in advance. There are reasons for this that I'm not going to go into. When you get there you can ask to see the pictures and if there are none you like you could go and buy one. There are always lots of stalls with good quality 8x10 photos. Saying that it's always a good idea that if you want a specific image signed, get it in advance and bring it with you.

Are there any restrictions on what items can be signed?

It really depends on the guest. Some are very picky some aren't. Basically if you THINK there is a CHANCE the guest will not sign your item. e.g. It's not official, it's a nude/semi-nude picture. Then make sure you have a back up.

You may want to bring along another item or picture with you but do remember when you pay for an autograph you are entitled to one of the guests 8x10 pictures for free. So do take one, that way if the guest will not sign your item for whatever reason you have the picture to be signed instead.

What time should I get there?

This is such a hard one. And you will get at least 4 different answers if you post a thread about it. The problem is that it really depends on one BIG thing. Who you want to see (i.e. how busy they'll be)!

The below is what I put for Collectormania events and it can still be used as a rough guide but Collectormania G-Mex being a completely new event I really can't be sure.

Rule of thumb for really big guests (Carrie, Elijah, James Marsters, etc):

Get there by:

7:00 - You'll be in the top 200 and will see them about 10:00-11:30

8:00 - You'll be in the top 400 and will see them about 11:30-13:00

9:00 - You'll be in the top 600 and will see them about 14:00-15:30

10:00 - You'll be in the top 800 and will see them about 15:30-17:00

11:00 - You'll be in the top 1000 and you MAY NOT get to see them.

This is a rule of thumb as I say, and is for the BIG guests only. The normal £15 guests you will be able to see without much trouble.

The main thing is you don't HAVE to be there at 6:00. As long as you are there by 9:00 you will get to see the big guests. You will just have to wait until the afternoon though. Saying that if you want to see 3 or 4 of the big guests you'll need to be there for 8:00. If you leave it until 11:00 you will very likely be disappointed.

How busy will INSERT GUEST NAME be?

The honest answer is no one really knows for sure.

A basic check list for if someone will be busy:

1: How popular the guest is. You know if the guest you want to see is a BIG name or not. If they are a BIG name they are going to be busy FULL STOP.

2: Has the guest not done many events before. Even if someone is not a BIG name, if they're rare they are likely to be pretty busy.

3: Is the guest only going one day. Everyone has to see them on the same day, making the queue longer.

At each event there are the BIG names and the rare guests, and they are going to have the long queues. Elijah @ C4, Carrie @ C6, James Marsters, Jolene Blalock and Alexis Denisof @ C7. Apart from these BIG names and rare guests you should not have a problem getting to see the guests you want. Although once you've got your Virtual Tickets you may have to wait until the afternoon to actually see the guest. As I've said above get there before 9:00 and you should be fine to get who you want. If you want 3 or 4 BIG/Rare names then I suggest you get there a bit earlier say 8:00.

Here is a list of all the guests going to CM G-Mex so far and I've put them into groups of how busy I believe they will be.

GROUP 1 - Will be busy so you should be there by 11am at the latest to get VTs (at 10:30am you'll get a ticket number of 800-1000 and you'll be waiting until about 4pm to see them). Arrive after 10:30am and it's possible you'll not get to see them:

BROOKS, AVERY

GARCIA, JORGE

IANEVSKI, STANISLAV

LEUNG, KATIE

PATTINSON, ROBERT

SERKIS, ANDY

SOMERHALDER, IAN - No longer attending.

GROUP 2 - Will have VTs up to about 400-600 and they will likely have an open queue by 4pm. As long as you're at the show for about 6 hours (9-3, 10-4, 11-5) you'll definitely see them:

CALLIS, JAMES

DORN, MICHAEL - No longer attending.

JOHN JULES, DANNY

JUDGE, CHRIS

LEWIS, MATTHEW

LLEWELLYN, ROBERT

RHYS DAVIES, JOHN

SACKHOFF, KATEE

SHANKS, MICHAEL

SPINER, BRENT

GROUP 3 - Will have an open queue for most of the day. There will be no problems seeing them:

BAKER, KENNY

BAKER, SALA

CAITLIN BROWN, JULIE

COPE, KENNETH

DARROW, PAUL

DEJONG, REUBEN

FRANCIS, SEAN

HOWARTH, WALTER

LAGA'AIA, JAY

MOORE, LEAH

MORRIS, ANNALISE

PARK, RAY

PROWSE, DAVE

RANGI, SHANE

REPPION, JOHN

SAFER, TOLGA

What are the guests like? A WARNING!!

The guests are only human. I'm not going to get into the "They get paid to be there they should be nice to everyone" argument. They have bad days just like the rest of us. Most of the guests are very nice and polite, but do be aware the guests will not always live up to your expectations and might be grumpy, not talkative or even just sign your picture without looking up at you. Basically it's always safer to start with low expectations rather than expecting the world and being upset when you don't get it.

Saying this though, don't forget that we all react better to a smile than a frown. Go up to the guest smiling and looking happy to meet them and you're more likely to get a good response in return.

What are Virtual Tickets?

To help cut down the amount of time you have to spend standing in a queue SM have introduced a virtual queuing system. When you join the end of a guest's queue you will be handed a ticket with a number on it (your Virtual Ticket).

You do not pay for the Virtual Tickets they are free. You pay per autograph when you come back and get into the queue.

Virtual Tickets are given out ONE PER PERSON, you will only be given one ticket. If you want to get a ticket for a friend there is nothing stopping you from joining the queue again and getting another ticket :P Just remember it will only be one ticket for each time you queue up.

Only a ticket holder will be able to join the queue once their number is called. If you are planning to accompany someone (to take photographs or help carry bags, etc) you will still need a ticket, even if you are not planning on getting an autograph yourself. This does also apply to adults accompanying children.

The Virtual Tickets start to be given out as soon as the show opens.

Once you have your VTs you are free to to wander around the event or join other queues. Ticket numbers will then be announced (in batches of around 30) once the previous group of people have their autographs, and you can then join the much smaller queue of fans who hold those numbers. There will of course still be some queuing involved! If you don't want to have to keep going back to the guests queue to see what number they are up to, you can check one of the white boards around the hall. These are kept up to date every 15 minutes or so.

The numbers shown are for any number UPTO that number. You can go up anytime after your number is called. So if you have ticket number 100 and the board is showing 200, this is fine, you haven't missed your turn.

What time do the guests arrive?

Normally this is 10am, but can and does change.

What time do the guests have lunch?

Guests go for lunch anytime between about 12:00 and 14:00 for about an hour. So don't worry if they're not there. They'll be back.

What time do the guests stop signing?

As a norm if a guest is busy they will continue signing until about 17:30. But it is not a good idea to leave it this late. Sometimes if a guests queue goes quiet they will leave at about 16:30. So as a rule of thumb don't leave it until after 16:30 to join a guests queue.

One other thing to be aware of is guests will have talks and obviously this means they will have less time for signing, also you don't want to turn up when they've gone for their talk. So do check to see if a guest is doing a talk (Of course you may want to go to it).

Can I have a photo with a guest and will the guests be doing personalisations?

The norm is posed photos - The guest gets up and puts there arm around you. Sometimes there will be a member of the crew there to take the photo for you. If not ask someone in the queue behind you.

Sometimes if the guest is very busy a sign "No posed photos" will be put up at the end of the queue and behind the guest. You may take photos of the guest whilst they are signing your item but the guest will not pose with you for a shot.

Rarely there will be no photos. Again there will be a sign saying "No photos" at the end of the queue and behind the guest. This means no photos including from the queue. This can be because of time, but more likely at the request of the guest.

Please note there are no professional photo shoots at SM events. The argument as to whether they should or not has gone on on this forum many times. But at the end of the day SM have made the decision not to. They know all the pros and cons and have decided not to have them.

As a norm guests do personalisations. However again sometimes it is necessary for there to be no personalisations. Due to the guest being busy etc. If for any reason a guest is not doing personalisations there will be a sign up at the end of their queue and behind them at the signing desk.

These signs (photo and personalisations) can and do change thoughout the day, so do check for the signs when you go up to get your autograph, as they may have changed since you got your VT.

Please do remember that the signs are there for a reason, don't try and ignore them because the crew will have to intervene and it can get very embarrassing for all (especially the guest).

If you are really desperate only to have a personalised autograph and/or posed photo, and wouldn't bother otherwise, and it's a big guest so they are likely to be busy. You can do one of two things, to give yourself a better chance of getting a personalised autograph and/or posed photo.

1: Get there as early as you possibly can, and be in the first 100 or so.

2: Leave it to the end of the day (4-4:30pm) when queues may have died down. But remember not to leave it too late (after 4:30pm) as if they're quiet the guest may leave. You are very likely to still need a VT, so do get one by 10am at the latest.

If you know you're going to want items personalised it's a really good idea to bring a piece of paper with your name clearly written/printed on it. This way you can give it to the guest and there is no chance of spelling mistakes.

Can I go up with my friend/partner/child to see the guest, I'm not getting an autograph?

The answer is yes. But please be aware that if it is not an open queue you WILL need your own VT. Without a VT you will not be allowed to join the queue with your friend/partner/child. They are free so please make sure you take one when your friend/partner does. This does also apply to adults accompanying children.

Can I see a guest without paying for an autograph?

Firstly the best thing to do is (as above) to go up with someone that is getting an autograph. Please be aware that if it's not an open queue you will need your own VT to join the queue.

If you don't have someone who's getting an autograph to go up with, then the follow guide lines apply:

For guests with a seperate photo table, as long as they have no queue, please go and ask the member of crew at the end of the queue, or on the photo table. The crew will be able to tell you at the time if it's OK for you to go and speak to the guest.

For minor guests without a separate photo table feel free to chat to the guest, but again only if there is no queue.

Three things to remember if you're going up without someone buying an autograph:

1: Paying customers have priority, so if you're talking to a guest and a paying customer arrives you should move along straight away.

2: Virtual Tickets are for people wanting autographs, please don't take them if you just want to meet the guest. Even with a VT you will not be allowed into the queue without paying for an autograph. As I've said above if there is NO queue then you can ask if it's OK.

3: The show is there to make money, it's how we get such good guests in the first place. So do not take it personally if the crew says no. There can be reasons that are not obvious to you as to why they've had to say no.

What should I say to a guest and how should I act?

The main thing to remember is THEY ARE ONLY HUMAN. Yes they've been on TV or in a film but they're no different to you or I. What would you say to someone you meet in the pub? Just be yourself.

So a good start is:

Hi, I'm YOUR NAME. It's nice to meet you, how are you today?

Not a good start:

Wibble...*stare*..*giggle*...*run*

How friendly you can or should be with the guests is obviously a personal thing to both you and the guest. Like with anyone you meet you can normally gauge if someone is going to like personal interaction or not. Just use your common sense. If the guest looks happy and bouncy and you want to hug or kiss the guest. Ask nicely and maybe you'll be lucky. Pretty much all the guests are happy to shake your hand, so just put it out there :lol:

You may have a specific question you want to ask. Just ask it.

If not, you can always use the old tried and tested ones:

What are you working on at the moment?

Did you enjoy working on xxxxxx?

Do you keep in touch with anyone from xxxxxx?

What's your favourite episode/scene from xxxxxx?

Do you enjoy doing events like this?

If they're from the US - How do the UK events compare to the US ones?

If you hadn't guessed you may want to replace xxxxxx with the name of the film or program you liked them in ;)

Can I give a guest a present?

There is no problem with giving gifts. Please do be aware that the guests rarely take these things with them when they leave.

Basically don't waste your money on anything too expensive. Either go for something they may like to eat or drink (sweets, chocolate, beer). Or something different and personal. I know one girl on here that gives people vegetables. Sounds odd but they remember her and that's the point really, you want them to remember you from the crowd.

Trust me you'll get the same positive reaction out of a £1 bag of sweets or a 4 pack of beer as you will out of a £10 generic teddy bear and they're more likely to enjoy the sweets, than to take the bear home.

3 - STALLS:

What do the stalls sell and what are the prices like?

DVDs, autographs, toys, weapons, cloths, posters, trading cards, pictures, books. Pretty much if it's film or TV related you're likely to find it on one of the stalls.

You can find some very good deals, I have in the past. There are also things there you'll not see anywhere else. On average things are about the same price as on the web. But of course in this case you get it there and then and have the fun of browsing the stalls :lol:

Can I use Scottish or Northern Irish money at the event?

You should be aware that Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are not legal tender in England, but are legal currency. This means that the stall vendors and SM do not have to accept them, although they may choose to do so. We would suggest that to minimise disappointment and inconvenience that you try to bring predominantly English banknotes with you, or obtain them from a cashpoint/bank local to the venue.

4 - TALKS:

What talks will there be?

Saturday....

12:00-12:30 - STAR WARS ORIGINAL TRILOGY - Dave Prowse and Kenny Baker

12:40-13:10 - ANIME PANEL

13:20-13:50 - RED DWARF - Danny John Jules and Robert Llewellyn

14:00-14:30 - JOHN RHYS DAVIES

14:40-15:10 - BRENT SPINER

15:20-15:50 - HARRY POTTER TALK 1 - Stanislav Ianevski, Tolga Safer and Matthew Lewis

16:00-16:30 - SHANKS & JUDGE STARGATE

16:50 onwards - COSPLAY Parade

Sunday.....

11:00-11:30 - STAR WARS PREQUEL TRILOGY TALK - Ray Park and Jay Laga'aia

11:40-12:10 - CHRONICLES OF NARNIA TALK - Kiran Shah, Sala Baker, Annalise Morris, Shane Rangi and Reuben Dejong

12:20-12:50 - BATTLESTAR GALACTICA TALK - Katee Sackhoff and James Callis

13:00-13:30 - ANDY SIRKIS

13:50-14:20 - HARRY POTTER TALK 2 – Robert Pattinson and Katie Leung

Followed by the FAN FICTION AWARDS presentation

14:40-15:10 - AVERY BROOKS

15:20-15:50 - LOST - IAN SOMERHALDER

Where do I get talk tickets from?

At the organisers booth at the show.

Can I get my friend a ticket, or do they have to queue up as well?

At the previous LFCCs where the talks have been free it has been possible to get a ticket for you and your friend. The one ticket one person rule which is used for VTs has not been inforced as far as I know.

I think if you tried to get more than 2 tickets you may be pushing your luck though.

How much are the talks?

Free.

I'm only going on Sunday, will all the tickets go on Saturday for the Sunday talks?

As with LFCC3 the tickets for Sundays talks will not be given out until Sunday.

Where will the talks be?

They will be held within the main hall.

Are the talk tickets seat numbered?

No the talk tickets are not seat numbered, it is a first come first served system. You sit where you like (in a free seat ;)).

What time should I get to a talk?

Firstly the talks are not over sold so if you have a ticket as long as you get there before the start time you will get a seat.

If you want to sit in the front 3-4 rows you need to be there at least 30 minutes before the talk.

Can I stay in my seat if I have a ticket for the next talk?

Sorry but no. The talk area will be emptied before the next talk begins. Although this may seem unfair to someone who is in the previous talk and wants to see the next talk, it would be equally unfair for someone who only wants to see the second talk to end up at the back of the area even though they have been queuing for half an hour. It's swings and roundabouts I'm afraid.

Can I get autographs at the talks?

No, it is a talk only. The main event is for autographs.

Can I have photos with the guests at the talks?

No there are no posed photos at any of the talks, but you can get photos OF (not with) the guests doing the talk. No video cameras are allowed.

5 - USEFUL INFO:

How do I get there?

The G-Mex website has info on how to get there by air, rail or road.

The www.gmpte.com website is good for info on train, buses and trams.

For those flying in there is a bus service from Liverpool John Lennon Airport called Airlink 700 run by Arriva. It stops at Sackville Street and Manchester Piccadilly train station. Low floor so easy access, services every hour 7 days a week. Adult return £5/10euros, Child return £2.50/5euros. Website www.arrivabus.co.uk.

Where can I stay?

Thanks to feralmoggy for helping with the following information:

Travel Inn G-Mex

Car Parking at the Travel Inn - 50% discount with NCP Great Northern car park situated behind the GMEX centre Off Watson Street.

Travel Inn Portland Street

Ibis Portland Street

Novotel Manchester

Stay Inn - About 20-30 minute walk away but with free parking.

If you're coming to the event on a budget the nearest good value hotels are as above, Travel Inn (current rates of £55.25/room/night), Ibis (current rates £53.95/room/night) and Novotel. All of these are visible from the crossroads of Oxford Rd and Portland Street and within a 5 minute walk of the G-Mex. There is a multi storey carpark next to these but the rates are unknown. Ibis also have a hotel on the crossroads of Charles St and Princess St that is an additional 5-10 mins walk.

Should you find these to be fully booked you can always venture further afield and book into hotels on Portland Street such as the Thistle, Brittania or Jarvis Piccadilly but these are likely to be more expensive and are within the shopping area with a walk of 10 mins top to G-Mex. Also just around the corner near Piccadilly Train Station there is Malmaison. Should these not be to your taste if you are looking at hotel listings I would recommend that you keep your search within the postcodes of M1, M2 and M3.

However if you decide that you are going to make a weekend of it and would like somewhere very nice to stay (4* +) the Midland Hotel is almost on top of G-Mex and the Lowry Hotel is the most prestigious hotel in Manchester but is quite far away.

If everything goes wrong or you turn up on the day and don't have a hotel, Lastminute.com have a staffed booth at Piccadilly Train Station on platform 10 (open 10am-6pm 7 days a week) where they have reassured me that you can book a hotel through them for the same day.

The most important consideration when booking the hotel is where it is and that it should be done in advance as it must be remembered that the event is the weekend before Valentine's Day.

Where can I eat?

There is a restaurant located in Central Hall, where Collectormania will take place.

G-Mex is located within a business district so quite a few places are shut on Saturday and Sunday however below is a list of some places that should be open.

St Peter's Sq - Don Giovanni (italian), Cafe Roma (italian), Allen's Fried Chicken, 3 Cooks Bakery, Dutch Pancake House.

Albert Sq - Pizza Express, Starbucks, Slug and Lettuce, Live Bait, Caffe Uno, Bowlers Patisserie, Beluga, Rajdoot Tandoori, Tampopo Noodle Bar, Wetherpoons.

Portland St / Oxford Road - McDonalds, Subway, Pizza Hut, Buffet City (Chinese), Ashoka (Indian), Wetherspoons, Tai Wu (Cantonese), Giorgio (Italian).

These are all within 5 mins walking of G-Mex. Should you like more choice the city centre has a wider variety and is within 15 mins walk or alternatively you can get the tram there.

Where can I park?

The G-Mex does have parking facilities which are located underneath the G-Mex. Prices for this are at the date of this publication:

0-3hrs £5

3-6hrs £7.50

6-9hrs £9.50

9-12hrs £11.50

12-24hrs £15.00

It is possible to prepurchase a parking permit at a reduced rate on 0161 834 4668.

Should you find that the car park is full there is a multistorey car park just off Portland St near the Novotel.

Car Parking at the Travel Inn G-Mex - 50% discount with NCP Great Northern car park situated behind the GMEX centre Off Watson Street.

For further advice and information regarding car parking in Manchester please look at this link for Manchester City Council. http://www.manchester.gov.uk/environment/parking/

Or here Car Parks near G-Mex from the G-Mex website

There is also a car park by Manchester University North Campus on the corner of Charles St and Sackville St (about a 5-10 minute walk) which is £2 all day on Saturday and Sunday. There is also a car park by Picadilly train station that is £2.50 all day for Saturday and Sunday! Both car parks do close at 11pm though.

Where can I put my luggage on the first day?

There is a cloakroom located in the main G-Mex Foyer and there is no charge for its use.

Where is the nearest cash machine or foreign exchange facility?

Whilst the G-Mex does have its own cash point located in the main G-Mex Foyer, there is a fee of £1.65 to use it.

The free cash points closest to G-Mex are within a 5 minute walk at the cross roads of Oxford Road and Whitworth Street (Sainsburys Local Bank) or at the crossroads of Deansgate and Peter Street opposite Sainsburys Local. You might see a theme appearing here.

If travelling by train it is recommended that you use one of the four cashpoints at Piccadilly train station that are located either on the concourse opposite platform 10 next to Sainsbury's or actually on platform 10. Details for Victoria Train Station will appear soon. Alternatively there are cash points galore along Mosely Street or Cross Street where most of the banks are located or within the shopping area of Market Street and the Arndale Shopping Centre. All of these can be reached within a 10-15 minute walk of the G-Mex.

Banks are usually open on a Saturday between the hours of 9am and 1pm with most having a foreign exchange facility. There is also a foreign exchange facility on Platform 10 at Piccadilly train station.

Last Minute Necessities and Emergencies!

For the last minute necessities this is a brief list that should hopefully cover them all.

Emergency Services telephone number 999

Nearest Police Station - Bootle St. 0161 872 5050 Non Emergency Number

They cover the city centre and should be contacted with regard to permissions for replicas in use with costumes and any other queries that may come under their jurisdiction.

Nearest Hospital - Manchester Royal Infirmary (MRI)

Located in South Manchester near the University. Is easy to get to using public transport.

Nearest Chemist - Oxford Rd/St Peter's Square.

This is a late night chemist and stocks almost everything. Boots and Superdrug can be found in the city centre (Boots in Market Street and Superdrug in Piccadilly Gardens).

Newsagents - Aleef's corner of St Peter's Square and Oxford Rd.

Self explanatory

Royal Mail Post Box - Corner by Midland Hotel on St Peter's Square

Suitable for postcards telling your nearest and dearest not to worry but that you'll be very happy living the rest of your life with one of the guests. Stamps can be bought from Newsagents.

Internet Access - EasyEverything? (bright orange) St Anne's Sq.

Should be open 24hrs a day. Rates vary according to how busy the cafe is. Max 15mins walk from G-Mex.

Nearest public telephones - St Peter's Sq.

6 - DISABLED INFO:

Advice for disabled people who are planning to attend an event!

(by a disabled person who has tried it out!)

Showmasters have catered for people with a variety of disabilities at their previous shows, and in my own experience they are very helpful when you get there in their own words, they always endeavour to balance treating all attendees equally, while recognising at the same time that some may have special requirements.

If waiting in long queues is difficult for you, you can get a friend/carer to collect extra Virtual Queue tickets for you. Your friend/carer will need to explain to the crew member handing out the tickets that the extra ticket is for a disabled person. To prevent abuse of the system, the ticketer may ask for some sort of evidence. If you are able to be somewhere visible near the queue, then your friend/carer can point you out to them. If you can't manage to be nearby at the time, or your have a disability that is not immediately obvious, it's a good idea to bring along some sort of proof of your disability (if you don't have any, ask your doctor to write a letter) that your friend/carer can show to the ticketer. If you have any problems getting extra virtual queue tickets, ask to speak to the Pit Boss, who should be able to sort it out.

If you want to attend any talks and can't queue up for a seat, speak to one of the crew members at the talk room, preferably allowing plenty of time before the talk starts (if you can, try approaching them before the talks start in the morning, or during a lull when one of the quieter talks is happening). They should be able to help you avoid the queue and get a seat. If you can't get hold of a crew member, go to the Organisers Booth and ask there.

If you do not have anybody to queue up for you, or you have any other requirements not covered here, the best thing to do is to go to the Organisers Booth as soon as you arrive and talk to Showmasters. Explain what the problem is and what you need, and they should be able to sort something out.

The main thing to remember is IF IN DOUBT, ASK!

Thanks to sully for the info.

7 - OTHER:

How can I meet other forum members?

My god are you MAD????? :wub: OK most of us are alright.

There are various section meets that go on over the weekend. I know at previous events groups for Stargate, LOTR and CSI have got together. Go to the fandons section, introduce yourself, make some friends and normally about 3-4 weeks before the event someone will post about a meet. Or you may want to start the thread yourself.

Also there is the I-Spy sheets. These are sheets with forum members mug shots on. The latest iSpy thread in the C8 section. You can then look out for other forum members and say hi.

I want to crew an SM event?

Take a look at the Crew Section

Send an e-mail to crew@showmastersonline.com simply stating that you'd like to crew. It can be a good idea to include a CV if you have one so they can get an idea of who you are. You won't get a reply straight away, but don't worry SM are good at making sure you get added to the list.

About 6-8 weeks before the event you will receive an e-mail asking you for your details and when you are available to crew. Return this ASAP.

Around 2-4 weeks before the event you will receive an e-mail letting you know if you are crewing and when. You will receive an e-mail even if you aren't needed.

If you don't get asked to crew, it can be worth asking when you're at the event. Sometimes crew don't turn up and SM are short of crew for the day. Just go to the organisers booth and ask.

UPDATES and COMMENTS:

If you have any new questions or think something I've put is incorrect please do post so that I can keep this as accurate as possible.

Also if it's helped you please post. It'll be nice to know it's been worth doing B)

Edited by Too Tall

• Replies 173
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nicccce

but i have 2 more qustions :

1. were can we sleep ? what are the chances of some hottel / B&B near by that can be recomended like in the " C " events ?

2. you menshen some names ther of guests like James.M is he coming to G-mex ???

Thanks in advance

• Showmasters Admin
nicccce

1. were can we sleep ? what are the chances of some hottel / B&B near by that can be recomended like in the " C " events ?

2. you menshen some names ther of guests like James.M is he coming to G-mex ???

Thanks in advance

1 - I need to look into that myself so I'll post once I know some more.

2 - No they are purely there as examples. They were C7 guests.

nicccce

1. were can we sleep ? what are the chances of  some hottel / B&B near by that can be recomended like in the " C " events ?

2. you menshen some names ther of guests  like James.M is he coming to G-mex ???

Thanks in advance

About hotels: The Travel Inn G-Mex seems pretty close going from their website.

Also there are several hotels along Portland Road that give a distance of only 500 metres to the G-Mex on their sites. An Ibis for example.

I've stayed in an Ibis for the London Comic Cons and it was okay.

nicccce

1. were can we sleep ? what are the chances of  some hottel / B&B near by that can be recomended like in the " C " events ?

2. you menshen some names ther of guests  like James.M is he coming to G-mex ???

Thanks in advance

About hotels: The Travel Inn G-Mex seems pretty close going from their website.

Also there are several hotels along Portland Road that give a distance of only 500 metres to the G-Mex on their sites. An Ibis for example.

I've stayed in an Ibis for the London Comic Cons and it was okay.

ok thanks for the info.

can you post a link for them ?

or do you remmber how much thay charge for a night ?

Thanks in advance

• 2 weeks later...

TT could you please mention the the GMPTE website in there somewhere (Greater Manchester Public Transport Executive). It has details for trains, trams and buses and should be useful.

www.gmpte.com

Do you think it would be worthwhile pinning a seperate shorter topic dedicated on how to get there as the CM:GMEX Read this first could be quite daunting at the size of it. If you like I do some research into it for what should be posted in it what with being a local girl.

• Showmasters Admin
I read the Guests dont useally Take there gifts well i have b4 gave julie benz and Vincent K presants and the next yr they have said they have them in there house, so maybe just the not so nice guests dont take there gifts???

850407[/snapback]

I think it's more to do with the items rather than the guest not being nice. I bet you gave them something nice or personal? :P

That was my point. If you're going to do it, either give them something personal or something you know they'll like (like beer). It's thing's like food and impersonal bears that get left behind.

Edited by Too Tall

• 2 weeks later...
  • Showmasters Admin

I got the below reply to my questions from G-Mex. I've added them to the main thread.

Stuart

Thanks for your mail and apologies for not getting back to you sooner, I have had some problems with my email server unfortunately.

1) There is a cash machine located in the main G-Mex Foyer, users are prompted with a charge for the transaction and given a choice to proceed.

2) There is a cloakroom located in the same foyer and there is no charge for its use.

3) There is a restaurant located in Central Hall, where Collectormania will take place.

I hope this helps for now, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance.

Regards.

Mandy.

[Can I use Scottish or Northern Irish money at the event?

You should be aware that Scottish and Northern Irish banknotes are not legal tender in England, but are legal currency. This means that the stall vendors and SM do not have to accept them, although they may choose to do so. We would suggest that to minimise disappointment and inconvenience that you try to bring predominantly English banknotes with you, or obtain them from a cashpoint/bank local to the venue.[/color]

scottish notes are legal tender in england, all except scottish one pound notes. after all it is sterling not euros or anything like that. its just that some retailers are a bit fussy about taking them. i cant be one hundred percent certain about bank of ireland notes but having worked in retail for over three years i do know that the are accepted in scotland.

i have personaly used scottish notes (being scottish and all) each time i have attended a SM event in both london and MK and had verry little hastle with them. the only people who may give you trouble is the taxi drivers.

hope this helps

lots of love

sarah

no problem too tall, i just wanted to let people know that not all shop/stall holders in england have a problem with our money. i did not mean to sound like a know-it-all. if i came accross that way i appologise. being cousious is advisable, like i said before the taxi drivers in MK are the worst for questioning the scottish money.

lost of love

sarah

• Showmasters Admin
no problem too tall,  i just wanted to let people know that not all shop/stall holders in england have a problem with our money.  i did not mean to sound like a know-it-all. if i came accross that way i appologise.  being cousious is advisable, like i said before the taxi drivers in MK are the worst for questioning the scottish money.

lost of love

sarah

866912[/snapback]

Don't worry you didn't :lol:

I was just explaining why I'd put it in the first place.

my apologies if this sounds daft, but when is the G-mex con, ive been out of the loop for a while (major op at hosp) coz i'd like to go and where can I find out who is going, is there a webpage set up yet? :unsure:

thanks in advance