Forensics FAQ

Smaug

Forensics FAQ

Also anything thing else regarding the legal system! Law, Lawyers, Police, InterPol etc etc!

So, what do you want to know! I'll try my best to answer everything I can, plus if any one else can answer any questions posted then that's great too! All I ask you to do is add a list of your references so I can post the question, answer and the source it came from.

I have found a few questions that I think are great. I've pulled them off the BBC.co.uk website as they have a large crime section on there. I will update with these when I have the chance later today.

Simple questions like:

Why do the UK forensic scientists wear a full body white suit, face mask, boot and head covers when they are on a scene, yet the US CSI's walk in wearing normal clothes? - I have emailed someone on the BBC for this answer as I really want to know! Yeah I know we wear them to reduce the risk of contamination, but my point is why don't US guys wear them!?!

Also if you guys want any one contacted I have this insane talent to be able to get information out of any one!!

Well they manage to wear them on Waking The Dead.... ^_^

And besides... talking real life forensic scientists here as well. Even the real CSI's in the US don't wear the jump suits!

I always used to wonder about the jumpsuits too. I mean, how is it, that no one on CSI has ever bagged a stray hair on a crime scene, that belonged to one of their colleagues...especially Catherine and Sara...hair all over the place :P

As a prospective scientist I was always told, hair back, lab coat on and only old clothes! Oh and flat shoes!

Maybe I was just one of those boring scientist types then.....!! :P

Well they manage to wear them on Waking The Dead.... :angry:

And besides... talking real life forensic scientists here as well. Even the real CSI's in the US don't wear the jump suits!

*ahem* I LOVE WAKING THE DEAD! :unsure::angry:

this is true, they didn't wear them on the Real CSI :rolleyes:

good thread Rach!

Luv sah xx

• 4 months later...

ok then *flexes fingers*

do you think - and this is up for debate - that the fact half the time the CSIs pick up evidence WITHOUT photographing it and other times take TONNES OF PHOTOS is purely a time/money constraint / laziness?? :D on the show or it depends on the evidence in question? :D

Luv sah xx

I always rant about the guys on CSI picking up evidence before photographing it in position. Does my NUT in!!!!

You're meant to take at least 80 photos from every angle AND THEN not with a digital camera because the images are too easily modified. Film rolls are more reliable and harder to mess about with.

So that annoys me. Photograph each piece in situation and then move it. Pffft.

• 1 month later...

Come one people, we must have some burning Forensic Questions out there!

I for one want to know how accurate facial reconstruction is. I'm donating my skeleton to science when I die (obviously... I'm kinda attached to it at the moment) and I want to see how well they can reconstruct my face. WITHOUT a photo for help. With nothing but the skull. See if they can guess the sex, eye colour, hair colour and facial features with nothing but my skull.

HAhahaha.

The difference between the foresic teams dress is very simple - the UK opnes wear full body suits, mask the lot to ensure they don't contaminate any eveidence that could be collected at the scene - the average person loses 80 hairs a day - whats the betting some are at the crime scene when CSI are there investigating crimes - the american series is either a) less acurate as they want the stars to be seen lving beautiful (for which I'm not complaining) or they don't follow the same protocol as the UK ones do - my dad's in the police lol and I study law well did study law lol - Dad has a fit over CSI because the new field csi's in britain are all hyped up on the series and he's now set against it and delights in pointing out inaccuracies lol

Edited by Tippin

:blink:

I can now sue a book i was reading in careers last Friday. The guy being interveiwed said that it depended on the scene. LIES!!

914606[/snapback]

lol you wouldnt get very far lol - Discretion is often used doesn't mean they aren't supposed to lol - like when you're at work - you aren't supposed to spend your shift on the internet but you end up doing anyway lol.

It calls the evidence into question if the suits aren't worn because of cross contamination - makes greedy bloodsucking lawyers richer by the case lol - important lesson children - never hire a lawyer! lol XD