Quiz

Stuart

Since things seem a little quiet here, I thought it might be an idea to start a quiz. Rules are simple - respond to whichever questions you think you might know the answers for, don't worry about the others, first person to post the correct answer gets the points (no points if someone beats you to it), four grades of questions (easy, medium, hard, very hard) worth 1, 3, 5 and 10 points apiece, more questions will be added to replace those correctly answered as and when I get the chance, all questions are related to comic books or comic book spin-offs (TV shows and movies) and anyone can join in any time. For the time being, I'll set the questions, but that may change depending on how well this goes.

Ready?

Easy questions

1. Complete the phrase "Friendly neighbourhood...."

2. Hugh Jackman plays which mutant superhero?

3. Superman is from which planet originally?

4. Who played Bruce Wayne's butler in the most recent Batman movie?

5. What have the recent Sin City movie and the forthcoming Fantastic Four movie got in common?

Medium difficulty

6. Who played Bruce Banner to Lou Ferrigno's Hulk?

7. Name the 2002 Oscar nominated movie based on a comic.

8. Which British comic launched in 1937 and is still going?

9. Which fruity British superhero had his own cartoon in the 1980s with voices provided by the Goodies?

10. Who provided the voice of the Joker in the 1990s Batman cartoons?

Hard

11. What does 1970s Spider-Man have in common with a family of Austrian singers?

12. Which company first put Aliens up against Predators?

13. Wolverine's also known as Logan - but what was his name back when he was a child?

14. In the first Spider-Man movie, the Green Goblin threw Mary-Jane off a bridge - but in the comics, it was another of Peter Parker's girlfriends the villain did that to - who, and what happened to her?

15. Buffy's Joss Whedon recently brought which metallic superhero back from the dead?

Very hard

16. What's the connection between Dawson's Creek and the last Jedi Knight?

17. What is Hellboy's real name?

18. Judge Dredd has defended the law in Mega-City One for several years, and has twice executed his own commanding officer, the Chief Judge. Name the two Chief Judges he has executed, and state why he did so.

19. Peter Parker isn't the only Spider-Man - name three other people who have used that identity.

20. Who is the woman in this picture?

fury.jpg

1.spiderman

2.wolverine

3.krypton

4.micheal cain

5.jesica alba

6.Bill Bixby

7.Road to perdition

8.Dandy?

9.?

10.Mark Hamill

11.?

12.Dark Horse

13.James Howlett

14.Gwen Stacy, died as spiderman attempted to to save her with a web line

15.Colossus

16.?

17.?

18.?

19.Ben Reily, Miguel O'hara, wolverine

20.?

Easy questions

1. Complete the phrase "Friendly neighbourhood...."

2. Hugh Jackman plays which mutant superhero?

3. Superman is from which planet originally?

4. Who played Bruce Wayne's butler in the most recent Batman movie?

5. What have the recent Sin City movie and the forthcoming Fantastic Four movie got in common?

1.spiderman

2.wolverine

3.krypton

4.micheal cain

5.jesica alba

All correct - and for those confused by #5, Jessica Alba plays a role in both those movies.

Medium difficulty

6. Who played Bruce Banner to Lou Ferrigno's Hulk?

7. Name the 2002 Oscar nominated movie based on a comic.

8. Which British comic launched in 1937 and is still going?

9. Which fruity British superhero had his own cartoon in the 1980s with voices provided by the Goodies?

10. Who provided the voice of the Joker in the 1990s Batman cartoons?

6.Bill Bixby

7.Road to perdition

8.Dandy?

9.?

10.Mark Hamill

Yes, to the four you answered. The Dandy is Britain's oldest surviving comic, predating the Beano by a year, while Road to Perdition is actually based on a comic, something the film makers didn't publicise too much when pushing the movie, probably because it might have affected people's expectations of the movie.

Hard

11. What does 1970s Spider-Man have in common with a family of Austrian singers?

12. Which company first put Aliens up against Predators?

13. Wolverine's also known as Logan - but what was his name back when he was a child?

14. In the first Spider-Man movie, the Green Goblin threw Mary-Jane off a bridge - but in the comics, it was another of Peter Parker's girlfriends the villain did that to - who, and what happened to her?

15. Buffy's Joss Whedon recently brought which metallic superhero back from the dead?

11.?

12.Dark Horse

13.James Howlett

14.Gwen Stacy, died as spiderman attempted to to save her with a web line

15.Colossus

Again, all four answered are correct - Dark Horse Comics came out with an Aliens vs Predator comic which predated the video games and movie; Wolverine's true name was revealed in a recent mini-series "Origin"; in the comics Spider-Man failed to save his girlfriend; and Joss Whedon recently revived Colossus (for those who only know the movies, that's the guy who turned to metal when Stryker's soldiers invaded the mansion) in "Astonishing X-Men"

Very hard

18. Judge Dredd has defended the law in Mega-City One for several years, and has twice executed his own commanding officer, the Chief Judge. Name the two Chief Judges he has executed, and state why he did so.

19. Peter Parker isn't the only Spider-Man - name three other people who have used that identity.

20. Who is the woman in this picture?

16.?

17.?

18.?

19.Ben Reily, Miguel O'hara, wolverine

20.?

Tougher questions - Ben Reilly was Spider-Man for a while - and also the clone of Peter Parker. Miguel O'Hara was the Spider-Man of the year 2099; so both of those are correct. I don't recall Wolverine using the identity at any time though - if he has, you'll need to remind me of when, before I can confirm you have completely answered that question.

Other than that, I make your score so far at 43 points (giving you 6 for Qu.19, as you got two right for certain).

So that still leaves

Medium

Hard

Very hard

19. Peter Parker isn't the only Spider-Man - name at least one other person (other than Miguel O'Hara and Ben Reilly) who has used that identity.

20. Who is the woman in the picture (first post, above)?

I'll try and get a few more questions up shortly, to replace the ones @field has answered.

I hope that someone does answer the other questions as i'd like to know the answers. Im annoyed with myself for not getting all the people who have been spiderman question, i put wolverine by way of a cop out answer from the mini series spiderman/wolverine when they swap costumes. I think i know the answer but dont have a definate name, is it the girl who JJ is looking after, who becomes spiderman after the events in the final chapter?

I hope that someone does answer the other questions as i'd like to know the answers. Im annoyed with myself for not getting all the people who have been spiderman question, i put wolverine by way of a cop out answer from the mini series spiderman/wolverine when they swap costumes. I think i know the answer but dont have a definate name, is it the girl who JJ is looking after, who becomes spiderman after the events in the final chapter?

There are a few others, but she's certainly the one I was thinking of when I wrote the question. But you need her name to get the points.

Okay, a few new ones, in addition the remaining ones above, to replace the ones @field got right:

Easy

21. What is the full name of Batman's butler?

22. Sue Storm is the Invisible Woman, one of the Fantastic Four. However, that isn't the code name she originally went by; what was she previously called? (nb - her most common alias, not the ones she has used infrequently).

23. Which naughty British school boy character has the same name as a naughty U.S. school boy character?

24. Name two D.C teams of heroes who currently have their own cartoons.

25. Which member of Magneto's Brotherhood could make superhuman leaps?

Medium

26. Jennifer Connolly has been the girlfriend of which two superheroes?

27. Who was the first actor to play Batman in the cinema?

28. Captain America has been the most enduring of U.S "patriotic" characters - but, in Marvel comics, who are his two closest British equivalents?

29. 2000 A.D. is the most successful British adventure comic of the last couple of decades, with it's lead character Judge Dredd starring in his own (not so great) movie. But the comic's second most enduring star first originated in another comic, before joining 2000 A.D. in it's second year - who is he?

Hard

30. Aliens have fought Predators in comics and on the big screen. But the same comics company put another two movie franchises up against one another - which two cinema cyborgs went toe to toe in the comics?

31. Many Marvel comic characters have been adapted into cartoon form - but name three characters who originated in Marvel cartoons who then made the transition back into the Marvel comics.

32. Best known as a co-creator of Superman, Jerry Siegal later became a long running writer of which British comic character?

33. Who or what connects Jack the Ripper, Professor Moriarty and Guy Fawkes?

ok i've waited for a bit to see if anyone else wanted a crack at it, but now i think i'll have a go

21.alfred pennieworth

22.?

23.Dennis

24.Justice League, Teen Titans

25.Toad

26.The hulk & the rocketeer

27.Micheal Keaton

28.Union jack & captain britian

29.Strogtun dog (dont know the spelling)

30.Terminator vs

31.X-23, spike,

32.?

33.Alan Moore

21.alfred pennieworth

It's spelt Pennyworth' date=' but yes, that's correct.

23. Which naughty British school boy character has the same name as a naughty U.S. school boy character?
23.Dennis

Halfway there - need the full "nom de plume" of the characters to give you the full points.

24.Justice League' date=' Teen Titans[/quote']

Correct. Ironically' date=' both have had cartoons before, in the 1960s and 1970s.

25.Toad

Correct - as played by Ray Parks in the first movie.

26.The hulk & the rocketeer

Correct - in the respective movie adaptations of those characters.

27.Micheal Keaton

Nope' date=' sorry - there's someone else who predates him by quite some ways.

28. Captain America has been the most enduring of U.S "patriotic" characters - but' date=' in Marvel comics' date=' who are his two closest British equivalents?[/quote'']

28.Union jack & captain britian

Yes.

29. 2000 A.D. is the most successful British adventure comic of the last couple of decades' date=' with it's lead character Judge Dredd starring in his own (not so great) movie. But the comic's second most enduring star first originated in another comic' date=' before joining 2000 A.D. in it's second year - who is he?[/quote'']29.Strogtun dog (dont know the spelling)

Strontium Dog, which first appeared in Starlord, is the name of the strip, but not the character. Simon Pegg played him in the Big Finish audio plays, and he's mentioned in Spaced - Simon's character "cried when .... died".

30. Aliens have fought Predators in comics and on the big screen. But the same comics company put another two movie franchises up against one another - which two cinema cyborgs went toe to toe in the comics?

30.Terminator vs

That's one of them.

31. Many Marvel comic characters have been adapted into cartoon form - but name three characters who originated in Marvel cartoons who then made the transition back into the Marvel comics.

31.X-23' date=' spike, [/quote']

X-23 from X-Men Evolution made the leap back into the comics medium, yes. Spike from X-Men Evolution hasn't - there's some characters with similar powers and names, but they aren't the same guy. You need to go further back for the other two.

33. Who or what connects Jack the Ripper' date=' Professor Moriarty and Guy Fawkes?[/quote']33.Alan Moore

Correct - he wrote about the first in From Hell, the second in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, and the third (as the basis for his lead character V) in V for Vendetta, all of which have been / are being adapted into movies.

Edited by Stuart

Bananaman? :P

Correct - Bananaman, whose strip continues to be published in the Dandy, had his own cartoon in the 1980s, with all the character voices provided by Tim Brooke-Taylor, Graham Garden and Bill Oddie.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, a few new ones, in addition the remaining ones above, to replace the ones @field got right:

Easy

22. Sue Storm is the Invisible Woman, one of the Fantastic Four. However, that isn't the code name she originally went by; what was she previously called? (nb - her most common alias, not the ones she has used infrequently).

Medium

28. Captain America has been the most enduring of U.S "patriotic" characters - but, in Marvel comics, who are his two closest British equivalents?

29. 2000 A.D. is the most successful British adventure comic of the last couple of decades, with it's lead character Judge Dredd starring in his own (not so great) movie. But the comic's second most enduring star first originated in another comic, before joining 2000 A.D. in it's second year - who is he?

Hard

32. Best known as a co-creator of Superman, Jerry Siegal later became a long running writer of which British comic character?

33. Who or what connects Jack the Ripper, Professor Moriarty and Guy Fawkes?

Since no one seems to have got the remaining ones (or else no one is interested), I'll post the answer for them.

Nicholas Hammond, who played Spider-Man in the TV series, was one of the von Trapp kids in the Sound of Music.

Bit of a stretch, but John Wesley Shipp, who played the Flash opposite Mark Hammil as the Trickster, also played Mitch Leery.

Anung Un Rama

Chief Judge Griffin, for treason, and Chief Judge Silver for cowardice and dereliction of duty.

19. Peter Parker isn't the only Spider-Man - name at least one other person (other than Miguel O'Hara and Ben Reilly) who has used that identity.

Mattie Franklin, who went on to be Spider-Woman, at first passed herself off as Spider-Man.

20. Who is the woman in the picture (first post, above)?

That would be Linda McQuillan, Captain U.K. (http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/c/capuk.htm)

22. Sue Storm was the Invisible Girl before she became the Invisible Woman (she's also briefly been known as Malice).

24. The naughty British and American school boys who share a name are both Dennis the Menace.

27. Michael Keaton might have been the first Batman in the movies of the 1980s and 1990s, but Adam West's Batman made it to the cinema in the 1960s. However, even he can't beat Lewis Wilson (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0933754/), who was Batman in 1943 in a Columbia Pictures Serial which showed weekly in U.S. cinemas.

30. Robocop took on the Terminators in the pages of a Dark Horse comic.

32. Jerry Siegal, co-creator of Superman, wrote the Spider (http://www.internationalhero.co.uk/s/spider.htm) for British comics.

Edit - if anyone else wants to pose some questions and keep this going, feel free.

Edited by Stuart