Was it best that they left us wanting more?

onewingedangel

As a huge whedonverse fan, saying goodbye to buffy and angel was unfortunate, especially in the case of angel which was just hidding its stride (Illyria and peepee demons what else could you do to a show to make people watch?). However was it not best to leave the show go out on form, rather than having it slowly wither away. Imagine if Buffy had ended in s4 or angel had ended in s3, would you have cared as much as when they eventually did?

Edited by onewingedangel

i liked the way Buffy ended especially if you read the new book Queen of the Slayers although it was slightly ruined by knowing that Spike was gonna come back in Angel.

i think if Angel had finishes in Season 3 it would have ended on a high note i hated the way it ended so unfinnished and basically everyone dies for the sake of bringing down one syndicate (it wouldn't have happended in Cordilla's day).

I think by the end of season 5 of Angel i didn't care as much cause the characters had drifted. in buffy i was still very much invested in the characters.

I have to disagree with you on season 5 of Angel. Personnally, I like it very much. It was a subtle mix between funny or even hilarious episodes and maybe the most sad moments we have ever seen in the Whedonverse. Fred's death in Wes arms is so well played and so touching as were all the previous scenes between the two characters in that episode. Same at the end when Wes is dying and ask Illyria to lie to him. One of the saddest scene Joss has shooted. Alexis and Amy were so good in those scenes. On another hand, the scenes between Spike and Angel were most of the time very funny. I think the chemistry between those characters was perfect. Also, the Illyria's character had a huge potential. I would have loved to see what Joss would have done with the character if there had been a season 6. And finally, there was Smile Time in season 5 !

So, even if I agree that the very end was quite surprising, I think the overall season 5 was very good. Maybe it is a bit unfinished but I'd like better to leave the show at this point than to go to a complete no-sense end like Chris Carter did for the X-files (and I was a huge fan of this show).

Edited by lams9999