-The Event-

Calumn

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah these photo comments come up after every single event. It would be a great way to kinda please everyone! I was gutted with the Ron perlman selection............and at the last event billy was at I requested a photo of him as himself and did not get one.............(yes, I found one around the event AFTER i had got a signature from him)............this time I brought my own billy pic............but I could not find one myself of Ron perlman...........so I think it would be an idea to consider! :P

I originally only went along for the one day.

Stayed the 1st night at Ibis Hotel where my friend

& I thought we saw Billy Boyd whilst looking down

from the 8th floor...at the back of the Hotel.

Did anyone else see him...if it was indeed him? lol!

I had only wanted to see Billy so I knew that I it was

just the talk & the signing I had to do. Was pleased

at the way everyone behaved when we started coming

into the venue...glad there was no crush. Very well

organised I think. The crew that I encountered with

Billy & the ones at his talk were very nice.

I must say that I was pleasantly surprised at how much

I enjoyed it. Maybe because there weren't that many fans

there & the venue was great apart from being too cold!

I was really pleased that we were allowed to sit in the seats

ready for the talk long before it started, which meant there

wasn't a last minute rush.

Anyway I decided to return today & had a good time too

even tho I was on my own.

The only moan was that there weren't enough guests &

the stalls not as good as the Collectormania ones.

Will go next time...but only if there're guests

I want to see.

Seems we all pretty much agree on most of the good and bad points, like I said it was not a terrible event, but compared to some of the events the Showmasters and others have put on in the past, it really was very lacking. I really hope they get the photo situation sorted out soon as it has been depreciating for some time now and has started costing them serious money in people not buying. Collectormania isnt looking to great guestwise at the moment, but still along time to go, and Autographica is shaping up nicely, but Im hoping for an amazing line up at LFCC4 to make up to those of us who feel we have been a bit let down.

And dont worry about Jollywood, he obviously thinks that by abusing anyone who critises SM will get him made a moderator or something ;)

Some of the crew around Charisma just seemed rude and to be honest clueless as to how to handle people in general. I felt rushed and hounded all the way through, I was rushed in got a tiny scrawl and then was hounded away, despite the fact my girlfriend was getting an auto just behind me we managed three extremely blurred pics. With Billy we got three-four decent pics, non-blurred and we only had one auto to take pictures with. Charisma looked up and smiled for me but some idiot behind me knocked into me in what I can only describe as a moronic attempt to speed me up and get me away, despite obviously being with the girl getting her photo signed.

Wow really glad i didn't go i made the right decision.

Went to see Ewan in theatre and by sheer bad luck didn't get to meet him, so the next day when i found out charisma wasn't personilising or posing for photo's i decided to save £25 and spend the day at the natural history museum that £25 will pay for my train ticket later in the month when i go to try and meet him again.

The whole reason i started going to cons instead of premieres was because you got to spend some time with them, they personilised and gave posed pics. Now that's all gone what's the point?

I think the problem is you used to be ok if you got there early, but now it's the same if your the first or 100th person.

Hope i don't get flamed for speaking my mind.

p.s.- And if any ones thinking of goin to see Guys and Dolls go see it it's fantastic :)

Edited by Wyn

Went to see Ewan in theatre and by sheer bad luck didn't get to meet him

just a helpful tip if you're going to try to meet Ewan, dont take photos for him to sign, he wont do it, he says only dealers want photos and he's actually point blank refused people, even though they're fans. The only things he will sign are dvds and his book, and dont bother asking him to sign Star Wars stuff either. I never understand why stars are so fussy about signing certain things from certain films, they made them, and SW is a great franchise to be associated with.

just a helpful tip if you're going to try to meet Ewan, dont take photos for him to sign, he wont do it, he says only dealers want photos and he's actually point blank refused people, even though they're fans. The only things he will sign are dvds and his book, and dont bother asking him to sign Star Wars stuff either. I never understand why stars are so fussy about signing certain things from certain films, they made them, and SW is a great franchise to be associated with.

I tend to think it marks the difference between you only being interested in him BECAUSE he was in SW, and you being interested in him as an actor. I reckon that's why he'll only sign non-SW stuff.

i must say when i got there i thought it wasn't going to be so good.

but i had a great time!!!

best bits for me were : all the talks especially matt wood, kate ron +garett and not forgetting adam.

Meeting ronperlman - wot a guy very nice and friendly!!

meeting lams and his very loveley friend sofia. also meeting shabs who gave me a dvd of the star wars prem.

the lady dressed as electra.

and again matt wood - wot a guy!!

all the taks were very funny, venue was good, saw postman on the sat night and loved it.

only down side i thought charisma was a bit fake but at least she was friendly this time!!

I tend to think it marks the difference between you only being interested in him BECAUSE he was in SW, and you being interested in him as an actor. I reckon that's why he'll only sign non-SW stuff.

mmm, but he wont sign photos from ANY of his films.

I've heard of lots of stars that wont sign stuff from particular films, eg. Leo DiCaprio doesnt like to sign Titanic stuff, Nicole Kidman has a whole host of films she wont sign stuff for, um... my mind's gone blank but I know there are more, someone help me out.

Like any event I think that this one had it's good and bad points.

Stewards - I thankfully didn't have to have many dealings with them as I've been to so many of SM events over the last couple of years and therefore pretty much knew how things would work. I did come across a couple of really good stewards, one of which was working the front of Kate's queue this morning - very nice, friendly guy who politely advised us what we could do for photos, and when we had taken a couple, politely asked us to move on - this is how it should be done. I unfortunately also had dealings with someone who was completely the opposite and downright rude, as did one of my friends.

Venue - easy to get to, although for driving some of the road signs leave a little to be desired. Parking was easy, and I would definitely come by car again next year as it was all pretty painless. The lighting for some shots still wasn't brilliant, again, many photos coming out orange. It was certainly big enough, so thumbs up for this one SM.

Guests - Val had not attracted me to attend, thankfully others had. Whilst two of the guests I had wanted to meet, Terry Farrell and Grace Park weren't able to attend, it still left me a few to get. Sometimes from a cost point of view, it's nice to think that the number of guests you want to meet won't get into the double figures. A couple of the guests I met didn't seem interested in striking up any form of conversation, and this often baffles me since positive publicity can only benefit them and their careers. Having arrived just after 4.00pm on Saturday, I wasn't pleased that three of the guests had left, Kate, Charisma and Xander apparently due to their queues coming to an end - again, people will turn up throughout the day, and I cannot remember seeing anywhere that they would not be attending all day. I did get their autographs today, and thought Kate and Xander were very nice - Charisma, whilst pleasant did seem to just want to rush everyone through, again, since there wasn't a particularly long queue by this stage, it might have been nice to get just a little more interaction - but at least she spoke and smiled, which is better than some guests.

My overall thoughts: It's unfortunate that the event didn't seem to live up to the hype started by SM themselves. Two of my friends only came for one autograph and they felt it had been a little bit of a wasted journey, especially since there had originally been more than one guest they had wanted to meet. The event seemed to lack some of the atmosphere and buzz that I've experienced at the first two LFCC's and I can only assume that less people attended due to the line-up rather than the change of venue and date.

The choice of photos wasn't brilliant. I realise that some actors are there promoting a particular show or part, but it would still be nice to have other options. Perhaps for future events, we could have a higher proportion of photos for whatever the actor has turned up to promote, even if it's a reunion, but still have a few photos for other parts they have played.

Examples have been: Adam Baldwin - I know he was there for Serenity, but why couldn't he have had other photos? I have never watched Firefly, but did want his autograph as I collect Stargate actors. I have a print that he signed, but also like to get a character shot as well, if they don't have that I try to go for a publicity shot - but there was nothing else to choose from. I met Xander Berkley because he's been in CSI - again I've never watched 24 -but nothing extra was available. Kate (from memory) only had Star Trek photos, yet she has done tonnes of things and not everyone wants a Voyager photo.

Some of this comes down to forward planning, and again, if the actors have a bigger choice of photos, more people are likely to want one. I have friends who say, if such and such only has this type of photo, I don't want one, but if they have one from the other show/part I like, then I'll get one.

7/10 overall - there was obviously a breakdown in communication with regard to Val (and yes, I did want his autograph, but wasn't as gutted as some people at not getting it, despite buying a photo from one of the stalls) and I think the choice of photos on offer could be much better - and it's not just at this event, I had similar problems with a couple of autographs at C7. SM, you have a Buck Rogers reunion at C8 - can we please have a choice of group shots and individuals, as well as others?

Some of the guests were great, others only did the bare minimum, but that does come down to actor and not SM - for god's sake, they're actors, why can't they act that they're enjoying themselves?

Venue, very good and the dealers were okay as well. However, one of my friends had real problems finding a trading card for a particular actor who was attending - sometimes I know the dealers are told they cannot sell photos of guests attending - if it means we have a bigger selection, and then still get it signed, what does it matter where we bought it?

Elaine :wub:

Well I loved the venue was very handy for me and was large enough to move around in.

Allot of the stalls sold the same stuff. Didn't stop me looking lol

I only went for one guest so I can't comment on the callibar of others.

The photos weren't that good and they could have been better. If I can in future will buy my own.

Stewards I encountered were pretty friendly.

Normally the only events where dealers can't sell photos of the guests are the 'proper' conventions.Was helping a freind out on her stall this weekend and sold a lot of Kate pictures which weren't anything to do with Star Trek & a lot of Adiran Paul photos which people preferred & a lot of Charisma's as well.

Personally decided prior to this show to prebuy as many guest photos as possible because the quality & choice of the Showmasters selection can vary.Yes it does mean paying out a bit more money in the long run but you can at least get the ones you want.I ordered the ones I wanted only a week before the event & they turned up in time.

Hope can advertise a couple of sites you can try;

Movie Market

Statesidestills

And of course there is e-bay as well.

All in all, here's a summary of the aspects with values out of 10:

Guest Line-Up - 3/10

Guest Friendliness - 7/10

Guest Photographs - 1/10

Crew Friendliness - 8/10

Crew Usefullness 4/10

Venue - 9/10

Catering - 3/10

"Getting in" (transport information, queue speed etc) - 8/10

Stalls - 5/10

Things to do - 3/10

Guest Line-Up - 5/10

I'd give it 4 points for the wonderful charisma n garret, 1 point for the miserable but good guest kate, and not much for the rest... there were a fair few, but a bit blah in my opinion.

Guest Friendliness - 7/10

Charisma, john n garrett would get 10 each! But kate wasn't nice to me so meh

Guest Photographs - 4/10

Loads for charisma, and i got a beautiful one of her. But none posed of kate with short hair, and only old ones of garrett posed.

Crew Friendliness - 8/10

Most lovely, but theres still the odd few that want 2 push us about

Crew Usefullness 5/10

Again, some good, some bad

Venue - 9/10

Easy to get to, near the tube, v spacious, waaay better than MK... but bloody expensive parking!

Catering - 3/10

The restaurants salad was a bit odd, and they only did v expensive orange juice!! (i dodn't drink tea or coffee)

"Getting in" (transport information, queue speed etc) - 10/10

Easy n great

Stalls - 9/10

I found them a LOT better than C7 where for the first time i bought nothing, but i coulda spent loads yest.

Things to do - 2/10

Stall n autographs... they need 2 expand lots here!

Can i add i wasn't impressed with the amount of people smoking n blowing it in my face!! Its ok for them 2 have a death sentance, but not me thanks!

I think all in all i still had a great day tho :)

it was very empty on the sunday and because the isles where so WIDE it felt even emptier. almost all the dealers stopped before closing time, same with the guests.

at least adam baldwin made up for the trip.

no serenity trailer, no FF contest etc

basically i found it rather boring and will not go next year unless some real BIG ONES are announced.

and are showing up of course.

i must say that it was a decent thing to do to offer us a free autograph from val but i want to see it first untill i believe it.

mmm, but he wont sign photos from ANY of his films.

I've heard of lots of stars that wont sign stuff from particular films, eg. Leo DiCaprio doesnt like to sign Titanic stuff, Nicole Kidman has a whole host of films she wont sign stuff for, um... my mind's gone blank but I know there are more, someone help me out.

yup he refuesed my photo as well but i'm glad i got his siggies just the same. just a tiny bit wee dissapointed since i'm a HUGE moulin rouge fan. i forgot my dvd cover which sucks but i wonder if he would be willing to sign my japanese program book of moulin rouge since it not a photo and he did sign my magazines although those where photo's from the musical.

which is VERY good by the way.

This was my first Showmasters event, and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

I have only previously done weekend cons before, so it was great to hop on a train and just have a day out.

I really enjoyed this event. The most I queued was 5 minutes (!!) and I met some fantastic guests, Billy Boyd, Kate Mulgrew, Charisma........all of who were very chatty, amiable and lovely.

I thought this event ran very smoothly indeed and am looking forward to the next! :o

Edited by The witch

it was very empty on the sunday and because the isles where so WIDE it felt even emptier. almost all the dealers stopped before closing time, same with the guests.

at least adam baldwin made up for the trip.

no serenity trailer, no FF contest etc

basically i found it rather boring and will not go next year unless some real BIG ONES are announced.

and are showing up of course.

i must say that it was a decent thing to do to offer us a free autograph from val but i want to see it first untill i believe it.

The FF competition was next to the nightwatch vehicle sorry you missed

Not a bad event. The venue was great and easy to get to and there were an interesting array of stalls (although as the venue was so spaced out I question whether there were actually more stalls than you get in Milton Keynes - in fact it actually looked like there might have been less). I certainly didn't notice anyone selling pirate dvds (I went on the Sunday) so am a bit baffled at that comment.

I was happy enough with the guest line up although Val Kilmer not showing up was embarassing. Could not agree more about the photos - they are truly dreadful quality - very very bad screen grabs. Every other convention organiser manages to get this one thing right - why can't Showmasters? I learnt my lesson from past events - get there early, get your virtual queue tickets, take a look at what photos are available before the guests arrive - and then go and buy your own! On Sunday there was one out of focus shot of Ron as Hellboy and terrible screen grabs of Kate as Janeway - I went and bought my own from the stalls.

The free talks were good - although the space they were held in was very small. The lack of decent freebies was also a bit poor - Star Wars sticker albums and Nightwatch t-shirts - that was pretty much it! And considering that they really sold the event on having a huge Serenity showcase it was incredibly disappointing to discover that they didn't have a single solitary Serenity freebie and no trailer.

But again to me the event was indistinguishable from Collectormania. There was noone there who couldn't have fit in happily at Milton Keynes. Why di we pay an entrance fee? Bigger. better venue but not much else. The fact that Universal didn't show up with the Serenity stand shows that the major studios don't view the event as an event of any importance.

Fine event but it didn't even begin to live up to the hype. If they can't pull it out of the hat next year perhaps they should quietly retire LFCC. I felt terribly sorry for any of the misguided bunnys who paid for a gold pass. Sunday was incredibly quiet - all I had to do was get there an hour before it opened and I very easily got every single autograph I wanted!

For me, it was one of the best I've ever been to.

I loved the line-up. As a Buffy and 24 fan, Xander Berkely, Sarah Clarke and Charisma Carpenter were excellent guests and I really enjoyed the 24 talk which was of course, free.

The location of the event was great, easy to get to, opposite a station.

Food....bad, expensive, I was eating on a budget (£2) so I had to go to Mccdonalds and I couldn't think of the nearest one so I ended up leaving to go to Tottenham Court Road because that was the only nearest place I could think of that definately had one!

The crew were really good, loads better than those at Collectormania events, I think just having a lot more space and room to breath made everyone a lot calmer.

Have no opinion on the photos, I didn't buy any autographs but still got to meet Sarah, Charisma, Xander and Billy for photos. I do remember looking at someones Charisma autograph and thinking it was a rather lame picture though.

KIWI :D

Agreed. I was shocked at how quiet Sunday was - I was worried because I got there at 10:30 and thought I might not get to see Kate Mulgrew! Fat chance. She didn't start signing until 12, and I saw her at 1PM.

I have to say, attendance must have been *Way* down on their expectations - at least on Sunday.

Food....bad, expensive, I was eating on a budget (£2) so I had to go to Mccdonalds and I couldn't think of the nearest one so I ended up leaving to go to Tottenham Court Road because that was the only nearest place I could think of that definately had one!

My god! You went from Earls Court to Tottenham Court Road just for a McDonalds!!! Wow!