Kate Mulgrew

Lizzy

Well She looked lovely at a distance, long blonde hair n i was desperate 2 meet her after reading how she loves her fans n is really friendly.

So i met her. Close up she looked v knackered n i could accept that. I met her around 1.30 ish (saturday).

She hardly looked up at me, said a half arsed 'hello' n then grabbed the next auto to sign. At that point I asked for a quick photo, and i'll upload it later... she has a real 'whatever' smile on her face n she looks bored. The worst photo since chekov! At least I look ok... haha thats fantastic- me lookin better than kate mulgrew in a photo!

Anyway, the point of this thread is that some stars totally live up to expectations and are lovely!! But others, they just don't make an effort, and it can totally smash your dreams of meeting them. This is no fault of SM, but If i was 'famous', then no matter how tired i was, i'd try n make it a nice day for all the guests so they get their moneys worth.

What were other opinions of her?

I saw on another forum a LFACC visitor say "saw Kate Mulgrew - didn't even get eye contact"

And that about sums it up. Polite, but by the time I got there there was a "no posed photos" sign.

To be perfectly honest with you I was surprised that she even signed up for the event, and when I got there she was up to ticket number 650 which is a lot to get through in a few hours.

I was delighted to meet her, but a smile wouldn't have gone amiss! Especially for £20.

I agree with everything you said there. I've had the pleasure meeting Kate before and I have to say she was lovely, yesterday I found her to be extremely rude...and it's very disheartening if you haven't met someone you've admired then get the chance and she's rude and trying to wizz thru everyone without even a smile and an upward glance. ;)

She may have been having a bad day, but thats no excuse to behave the way she did to her fans...considering she wouldn't really be there if not for her fans.

I have to say I'm quite upset about it all really...I used to really admire her.

I had a completely different experience - she was really sweet. I went today and she smiled , asked how I was and if I was enjoying the day! I said she looked lovely and she was really sweet about it.

Great lady - ;)

Did she get in from the States on Sat morn - maybe she was tired.

I had a completely different experience - she was really sweet. I went today and she smiled , asked how I was and if I was enjoying the day! I said she looked lovely and she was really sweet about it.

Great lady - :P

Did she get in from the States on Sat morn - maybe she was tired.

Yeah, she was great with me too - but to be fair that was on Sun. Maybe she just had a bad day? I gave her an unusual photo for her to sign, and I think that perked her up a bit - i.e. not of her 'in uniform'. Very sweet woman - she can sit in my centre seat anytime :lol:;):D

Sorry to hear some people had a bad experience with her - she must have been just tired on Sat I guess :D

OK, so she didn't talk to everyone on Saturday, but please, give the woman a break - she only recently finished a Tea at Five run on the 19th, carrying an entire two hour play (I'm assuming it's about this long) by herself is one heck of a task, and she's been doing lots of interviews in the states. She is only human, people, she's allowed the odd off day. Imagine what a mess the world would be in if we weren't allowed off days?

I came across Kate outside the con having a cigarette. I said Hi Kate and she basically barely managed a smile and didn't say a word. I soldiered on with 'Are you having a nice time in london'and got a 'yes', one word answer. I won't go into it all as its really upset me but she was completely diva like with her 'posse' round her all smirking. I couldn't have felt more like a piece of crap on her shoe if she'd told me to get lost, which she might as well have done. You'd have thought I'd asked her for some spare change or something, the way she looked at me.

she made me feel like I wish i hadn't bothered saving up for a month to go, being a single mum with 2 kids I spend all my spare money on them and this was my big treat to go. She'd signed my photo earlier in the day and had been ok, i had my 6 week old daughter with me and she asked me how old she was and wanted to touch her head, which she did. She didn't ask my name, signed the pic and that was it. I know it was busy, I understand she didn't have time to chat to everyone but I think she could have asked people their name.

I had planned to go again on Sunday for the talk but felt so disheartened that I didn't bother.

I hope other people had a better experience.

Flic

kates talk was very funny but she was upstaged by garett!! he was hilarious!!! all the impressions, when he walking up and down for the photos at the start! i was in stitches the entire time !!! what a guy!!! and he said he was in a wetsern tv thingy with christian kane coming to bbc 2 which should be good!

i know people weren't bothered by him as he was only a minor character in voyager and i wasn't too fused about him until his talk!! he was hilarious!!!

Edited by fugaziuk

I came across Kate outside the con having a cigarette. I said Hi Kate and she basically barely managed a smile and didn't say a word. I soldiered on with 'Are you having a nice time in london'and got a 'yes', one word answer. I won't go into it all as its really upset me but she was completely diva like with her 'posse' round her all smirking. I couldn't have felt more like a piece of crap on her shoe if she'd told me to get lost, which she might as well have done. You'd have thought I'd asked her for some spare change or something, the way she looked at me.

she made me feel like I wish i hadn't bothered saving up for a month to go, being a single mum with 2 kids I spend all my spare money on them and this was my big treat to go. She'd signed my photo earlier in the day and had been ok, i had my 6 week old daughter with me and she asked me how old she was and wanted to touch her head, which she did. She didn't ask my name, signed the pic and that was it. I know it was busy, I understand she didn't have time to chat to everyone but I think she could have asked people their name.

I had planned to go again on Sunday for the talk but felt so disheartened that I didn't bother.

I hope other people had a better experience.

Flic

Oh, Flic! I am soo sorry that happened to you :D

I can tell you're really upset and angry, and who wouldn't be :blush: It is one of the risks we (as fans) take I suppose, when we meet our heros - that they won't be who we expect them to be.

Kate was pretty abrupt with me, but not rude, just 'next!' abrupt. It did shock me a bit because I just didn't expect everything to happen so fast, I didn't expect her to be so rushed and I thought I'd get the chance to say at least a few words to her, like, "Thank you for Voyager" or something equally naff :lol: I couldn't believe how fast she signed and how fast I was on my way at the time, but now with hindsight and talking to some other J/C fans about it, they say that it's usual for Kate to have hundreds and hundreds of signatures to do and she tends to look at it as a sprint race to make sure everyone gets a signature that wants one rather than a real chance to interact with the fans.

I think I read somewhere that she was coming to London from Ireland with her son Alex for the con, so maybe she had a late night and an early flight and the tiredness got to her? Unless she was looking forward to a quiet "I've given up smoking, I went to a hypnotist, and it was easy!" fag in peace "off camera" and got thrown by you seeing the evidence that she's on 80 a day again :unsure: Sorry, just trying to cheer you up. :lol:

All the best, and I hope you'll give her another chance.

Edited by JCgroupie

Oh, Flic! I am soo sorry that happened to you 

I can tell you're really upset and angry, and who wouldn't be  It is one of the risks we (as fans) take I suppose, when we meet our heros - that they won't be who we expect them to be.

Kate was pretty abrupt with me, but not rude, just 'next!' abrupt. It did shock me a bit because I just didn't expect everything to happen so fast, I didn't expect her to be so rushed and I thought I'd get the chance to say at least a few words to her, like, "Thank you for Voyager" or something equally naff  I couldn't believe how fast she signed and how fast I was on my way at the time, but now with hindsight and talking to some other J/C fans about it, they say that it's usual for Kate to have hundreds and hundreds of signatures to do and she tends to look at it as a sprint race to make sure everyone gets a signature that wants one rather than a real chance to interact with the fans.

I think I read somewhere that she was coming to London from Ireland with her son Alex for the con, so maybe she had a late night and an early flight and the tiredness got to her? Unless she was looking forward to a quiet "I've given up smoking, I went to a hypnotist, and it was easy!" fag in peace "off camera" and got thrown by you seeing the evidence that she's on 80 a day again  Sorry, just trying to cheer you up. 

All the best, and I hope you'll give her another chance.

I really felt like it was just a conveyor belt. Yes I'm really naffed off and no, sorry, you only cross me once, no second chance.

On the plus side, Garrett Wang was absoloutely lovely. He took time to ask names to sign to, have a chat and he stood up every time to have his photo taken with his fans. I don't care if people are going to try and make out that her abruptness/speed were justified, IMHO, they weren't. Ron Perlman was there too, and I noticed that for every hundred Kate signed, he'd only got thru another 20. That to me says he was taking his time, giving his fans their train fares, hotel room cost, entry fee and 20 quid autograph charge value for their hard earned money.

She also turned up late. And i'm sure people will want to think it was 'unavoidable', that the traffic was bad, that the plane was delayed. whatever. I think it's rude. People turn up in their hundreds to get their autographs and meet their 'idol', it sucks when someone turns up late and then rushes thru 650 autographs in 2 hours. Just my HO. After all, who cares what I think and feel? Kate doesn't!

It's a shame some people didn't have a good experience with Kate. I agree that she certainly didn't waste any time with the autographs, but I had a nice little chat with her.

I had a different photo than those off the table (as well as one of those) and she said it was one of her favourite photos and that it had been taken quite soon after her husband had proposed to her. So I commented that it brings back some good memories for her and she replied yes it does, pulled my other photo across and looked up and asked if I wanted that signing to me as well.

I finished with I hope you enjoy the rest of the day, and she said the same back.

Sometimes they must get fed up of seeing the same photos passed in front of them, and then to suddenly see something a little different perhaps perks them up a little. I came across this with John DeLancie at another event, and he actually commented that it was nice to sign something other than Star Trek merchandise pass in front of him. It wasn't that he was embarrassed or annoyed, but I suppose wanted to be recognised for some of his other work. Unfortunately, this wouldn't work with Kate as she only had Voyager photos.

I hope it doesn't put people off wanting to meet the actor again, as they could have had an off day. If they are downright rude, I certainly wouldn't bother trying again, but if there's a little bit of interaction and I liked the actor in many different things, then I might be tempted to try again.

Elaine :rolleyes:

I really felt like it was just a conveyor belt.  Yes I'm really naffed off and no, sorry, you only cross me once, no second chance.

On the plus side, Garrett Wang was absoloutely lovely.  He took time to ask names to sign to, have a chat and he stood up every time to have his photo taken with his fans.  I don't care if people are going to try and make out that her abruptness/speed were justified, IMHO, they weren't.  Ron Perlman was there too, and I noticed that for every hundred Kate signed, he'd only got thru another 20.  That to me says he was taking his time, giving his fans their train fares, hotel room cost, entry fee and 20 quid autograph charge value for their hard earned money. 

She also turned up late.  And i'm sure people will want to think it was 'unavoidable', that the traffic was bad, that the plane was delayed.  whatever.  I think it's rude.  People turn up in their hundreds to get their autographs and meet their 'idol', it sucks when someone turns up late and then rushes thru 650 autographs in 2 hours. Just my HO.  After all, who cares what I think and feel? Kate doesn't!

Oh, I love Garrett! I thought he was superb, too. :rolleyes:

I hear you on Kate though, that's fair enough and understandable. Take care :)

Edited by JCgroupie

Really sorry to hear some people didn't have such a good experience :D

Sounds like she had just flown in on Saturday morning and was really tired - she also got through a *lot* of autographs in the first few hours on Saturday, think maybe she was trying to get through as many people as possible? Later on (after they opened up the q, and on Sunday) she seemed to figure out that she didn't need to go through them quite so fast and started to pay a bit more attention.

I saw her or Saturday about 2.30ish, it was an open queue so there weren't a huge number of impatient people behind me. She was really nice, asked my name straight away. I was shaking like a leaf and she held my hand to try and calm me down (didn't work!) - i have a photo where it looks like she's trying to stop me from going into orbit! I told her some stuff about how she inspired me, and she listened very intently and even wrote a comment about it on my photo.

I think i was very lucky with the timing, i had no complaints at all She was fantastic :D

I thought that Kate was in a little bit of a hurry when signing autographs certainly compared to Ron Perlman who was a comparable star but he took the time to make a little small talk and pose for pictures. However Kate's talk was very good and amusing showing a more talkative side and more what the fans wanted it was very well done and didn't feel rushed or give the impression that she wasn't enjoying herself.

It was perhaps unlucky for Kate that immediately following her talk was Garrett Wang, who in my opinion gave the best and certainly most amusing talk of all the guests at the event. I particually enjoyed his story of when he heard Robert Beltram had cancelled he left a message on the screen posing as an angry fan and ending with the words I know where you live.

Overall whilst I enjoyed meeting Kate and listerning to her talk I would give her contibution 7.5 out of 10 whilst Garrett would have to get the full 10.

Wow I'm really surprised to hear that she was so short with people. I saw her on the Sunday at about midday and she was wonderful and incredibly sweet. She personalised the autograph and made small talk and when I said it had been a delight to meet her - she said that she was constantly astounded at the number of people who still want to meet her since Voyager has been off the air for so long and that she was delighted to meet me! I thought she was sheer class. Sometimes I find that the problem with signing events as opposed to conventions is that people have such high expectations for those 20 seconds you get to meet a guest. If they are a bit quick or terse (as Charisma Carpenter was) people get terribly disappointed. Kate looked very very tired - I wouldn't take anything too personally and just accept that unfortunately it can sometimes be hard to make a good impression in 30 seconds.

I also should say that like others who had a good experience with her I bought a black and white picture of her from one of the stalls rather than the terribly grainy Janeway shots they had on sale - perhaps signing a different piccy did indeed perk her up a tad!

Edited by Persephone1

It was perhaps unlucky for Kate that immediately following her talk was Garrett Wang, who in my opinion gave the best and certainly most amusing talk of all the guests at the event. I particually enjoyed his story of when he heard Robert Beltram had cancelled he left a message on the screen posing as an angry fan and ending with the words I know where you live.

totally agreed i only really went to kill time before my train!! but i was glad i did so funny from start to end. plus his little philosphy on life was good too!

Had the same response as the other people I have read about meeting Kate on Saturday. Lined up for ages and she didn't even ask what my name was (I had to prompt her to sign my name!) and she didn't even look up or smile at all, so all round quite disappointed. Quite a big Star Trek fan and if that is the way they treat their fans then I won't bother next time.................

but also met Garrett Wang and he was great, asked my name and if I was having a good time, posed for a photo and told a joke! Great, couldn't have been nicer! Cheers Garrett!

I bought a black and white picture of her from one of the stalls rather than the terribly grainy Janeway shots they had on sale - perhaps signing a different piccy did indeed perk her up a tad!

Quite agree with this - I reckon that it shows you have some investment in seeing them, rather than just deciding to join their Q for something to do. Kate was lovely with me too.

Hmph. She really did not leave a good impression with me.

She was very rude and abrupt on the Saturday (no eye contact, not even a hello) - and yes, one can use the whole jetlag excuse, but, come on, other guests are exactly the same - and yet somehow manage to be chirpy! (e.g. Corin!! :unsure:)

However, I was talking to her Tea at Five fangroup - who persuaded me to go back to her on Sunday and ask her to personalise my auto! Which I did, and she was somewhat nicer - but, still, for £20, I would have hoped for a bit more...