SERENITY - SPECIAL PREVIEW SCREENING !

Yep, a big let down with the preview of Serenity. After talking with SM they were told nothing and they did put up signs at the info desk. I will write to UIP and tell them they have pissed off a lot of fans.

I got to meet Adam which made up for not having the Serenity booth.

Edited by BluebizzieB

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even a "cancelled" sign would of been something!

BIG signs - either side of the organiser's desk !

Sorry must of missed those. . .on acount of them not putting them up until after 12:30 at least, which is when I got fed up with asking at the information desk only to keep being told to go to the same booth time after time. I mean, come on, an information desk where they don't have up-to-date information just seems a bit pointless, but perhaps that's just me (and a big bunch of other Browncoats who got pigged off wandering around without a clue as to what was happening). I don't doubt the problem originated with the UIP people, but SM must of known what was happening by the time the "War of the Worlds" stuff started to be set up. So was it cancelled just for the Saturday, or is Sunday a "no-show" too? :D

I am starting to put together a formal complain to UIP so if anybody

here was pissed off and want to tell UIP you were not happy.

Write a sentence and post here with your name underneath and i shall include that in my letter i am sending on Sunday.

I will be pissed off if they showed on Sunday.

Sunday now in the UK, and the front page still says that the "Serenity" trailer etc. is at their con. So, yeah I will be peeved if the freebies and things happen *today*, but not as much as the people who turn up Sunday expecting all to be as advertised. So you can count me in BluebizzieB, Stephen Baines is oficially disgruntled with UIP for their handling of the whole thing and with their general lack of support for the fans who are all working so hard for them.

Edited by StevieB

I did actually manage to sign up for this. When the UIP booth first opened (about 9.30) they had 2 clip boards to take down names and e-mail addresses of those interested. The clip boards were put away about 45 minutes to an hour later so I would presume that all the places were filled (there were a lot of people interested).

Even if they put up a sign explaining that all places had been filled it would have been better then what they did.

Edited by Gavin

WTF did they turn up on Sunday? If they did then I am realy pissed off.

I wanted to sign up for it. Saying they cancelled and then they should have said something to Showmasters like 'not showing Sat but appearing Sunday'. I got

the impression that it got cancelled altogether but reading the posts in here that people signed up I am realllllllllllllllllllllllllly pissed off.

:lol:

I wanted to sign up for it. Saying they cancelled and then they should have said something to Showmasters like 'not showing Sat but appearing Sunday'. I got

the impression that it got cancelled altogether but reading the posts in here that people signed up I am realllllllllllllllllllllllllly pissed off.

It might be prudent to actually find out from Universal if they ever intended to have a Serenity stand with "freebies" etc and promote the film at this event before you start sending them nasty letters.

You've only got Showmasters word that Universal were going to be promoting the film at LFCC. Call my cynical, but I rather suspect the whole thing was a ruse to explain away the stealing of Baldwin from the other event. It would be very strange for them to promote a film now that's not released here for another 3 1/2 months.

And as for Showmasters' word, well Kilmer was "definately" going to be appearing yesterday despite all other info to the contrary, wasn't he?

If I were you, I'd be pissed off at Showmasters instead of a global and very reputable film company.

Edited by The Cleaner

Some have said that there was a form there on the Saturday when "WotW" was setting up, but I don't think it was a matter of the places being filled, more like "oops we shouldn't of put those out", leastways I hope that was the case! :lol:

Here are some comments from others that were at the show that have been posted on the Serenity movie site, it might help clarify the situation, bit still no official word.

Zolitare: No Screening Signups (well, there was to start off the morning but it was withdrawn rather hastily!)

technovamp: When I got there there were some Universal people on the stand who were just showing the trailer for 'War of the Worlds'. I asked about Serenity and they said there had been a 'problem' with the publicity company for Serenity showing up but they genuinely didn't seem to know what it was. Nobody mentioned anyone from Serenity having been there earlier.

I was disappointed that they weren't there but, having run some cons myself, I wouldn't read much more into this than Murphy's Law striking again.

chianasheart: I asked at the info desk and they just said that they hadn't turned up and they had no idea why but they were hoping they would turn up today (Sunday)

The sign up was on the Saturday morning.

I would very much doubt that SM deliberately misled anyone, they would lay themselves open to all sorts of legal problems with UIP if they had. The main thing that miffs me is the apparent lack of "official" info on the day as to what was happening, and no up-date or apology yet from anyone. If the "WotW" guys knew what was happening in time to get themselves there as a replacement (?) for "Serenity" then surely they could of put up signs saying so, and if they informed SM, then SM should of been able to have that information available on their help desk EARLY on Saturday. This stinks of bad organisation on both parties part, but no maliciousness should be inferred. And if SM weren't informed, then that shows incompetence on UIP's part, and an extreme lack of control and awareness on the part of SM. No matter what the eventual explanation, what should of been (and could still of been with more dilligence) an extremely great day out quickly became a frustrating fiasco for the Browncoats in attendance.

Edited by StevieB

Just to clarify a few things:

It was UIP (United international pictures) who were supposed to have a stand not Universal. UIP are supposed to bethe UK distributors of the movie.

I signed up for the Serenity list but was told that it was just a mailing list for news on the movie not a screening sign up list.

Universal are [promoting Serenity in the US even though it is out only a week before we get it.

This is what I was told by the steward on the info desk:

No one knows why UIP didn't show up to promote Serenity. They're going to try and contact someone on Monday when their office reopens and post online the outcome. The WotW people had no clue where the Serenity promoters were (she said they had never even heard of a film called Serenity) and rumours had "filtered down" (her exact words) that UIP aren't going to be handling the film anymore.

She did just say it was a rumour though, so I have no idea if this is true.

EDIT: By the way, this isn't me being a troll or anything like that. I am just as disapointed as every other browncoat on here (I took the day off work for UIP!!). It just happens to be my first post on here. And please excuse me if the info I posted here is wrong. I'm just repeating what I was told.

Edited by Angelite

No one knows why UIP didn't show up to promote Serenity. They're going to try and contact someone on Monday when their office reopens and post online the outcome. The WotW people had no clue where the Serenity promoters were (she said they had never even heard of a film called Serenity) and rumours had "filtered down" (her exact words) that UIP aren't going to be handling the film anymore.

EDIT: By the way, this isn't me being a troll or anything like that. I am just as disapointed as every other browncoat on here (I took the day off work for UIP!!). It just happens to be my first post on here. And please excuse me if the info I posted here is wrong. I'm just repeating what I was told.

I don't know who you spoke to on the UIP stall, but it was being run by two blokes, so if 'she' told you something, 'she' may well ahve been an utter stranger!

I spoke to the UIP guys a few times. They seemed genuinly confused and bemused on Saturday morning, when they found there was no Serenity stuff there (these two blokes HAD heard of the film). They contacted their head office and told me to come back a half hour later. When I saw them later, they said that there was some contractual issues with the promotions company (perhaps UIP sub-contract some of the promotions) and that was the reason the stuff had been withdrawn.

The Cleaner: Don't be a troll. If you don't know anything, it's better to stay silent than demonstrate your ignorance.

Note to the others: Just in case it's not clear, there were no Serenity give-aways or sign-ups on Sunday either.

No one knows why UIP didn't show up to promote Serenity.  They're going to try and contact someone on Monday when their office reopens and post online the outcome.  The WotW people had no clue where the Serenity promoters were (she said they had never even heard of a film called Serenity) and rumours had "filtered down" (her exact words) that UIP aren't going to be handling the film anymore.

EDIT: By the way, this isn't me being a troll or anything like that.  I am just as disapointed as every other browncoat on here (I took the day off work for UIP!!).  It just happens to be my first post on here.  And please excuse me if the info I posted here is wrong.  I'm just repeating what I was told.

I don't know who you spoke to on the UIP stall, but it was being run by two blokes, so if 'she' told you something, 'she' may well ahve been an utter stranger!

I spoke to the UIP guys a few times. They seemed genuinly confused and bemused on Saturday morning, when they found there was no Serenity stuff there (these two blokes HAD heard of the film). They contacted their head office and told me to come back a half hour later. When I saw them later, they said that there was some contractual issues with the promotions company (perhaps UIP sub-contract some of the promotions) and that was the reason the stuff had been withdrawn.

The Cleaner: Don't be a troll. If you don't know anything, it's better to stay silent than demonstrate your ignorance.

Note to the others: Just in case it's not clear, there were no Serenity give-aways or sign-ups on Sunday either.

She wasn't a stranger as far as I know - she was the one who gave me the tickets for the Firefly talk at the info desk - I didn't even see the UIP stand as I went on the Sunday

Edited by Angelite

She wasn't a stranger as far as I know - she was the one who gave me the tickets for the Firefly talk at the info desk - I didn't even see the UIP stand as I went on the Sunday

The "WotW" is also being promoted by UIP, so that was the UIP stand chris_mk was referring to, and I think he was confused as your earlier post seemed to indicate that the lady you spoke to was part of the "WotW" crew, not part of the convention crew.

The "WotW" is also being promoted by UIP, so that was the UIP stand chris_mk was referring to, and I think he was confused as your earlier post seemed to indicate that the lady you spoke to was part of the "WotW" crew, not part of the convention crew.

Yeah, I got that - hence the clarification.

I am a tad confusing (and confused) most of the time ;)

Edited by Angelite

This is a statement I found posted today (by fade2dust) on the Serenity movie site:

Full statement from UIP:

"Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment caused because of the lack of material or information available for SERENITY at the London Film & Comic Con.

We actually did have the international trailer ready to premiere, but due

to lack of communication or information from the organisers we were unable to deliver it.

The organisers had also offered us a booth - but only last week - and given the short turnaround time to produce sufficient good materials for display, we decided to decline. I'd rather do something properly, or not at all.

The information about registering on a data base for forthcoming screenings has never come from this office. No such screenings are yet confirmed, but please feel free to stay in touch and I will advise if/when there's any news. If they do go ahead, then I can assure you that all fans will have a fair chance to secure tickets."

Sounds like abit of a fiasco on the part of SM, but lets see how they respond. As for the screenings, it was never made clear whether the deal was meant to be with UIP or Universal, but I would be very interested to hear something from SM on this matter. :lol:

This is a statement I found posted today (by fade2dust) on the Serenity movie site:

Full statement from UIP:

"Please accept our sincere apologies for any disappointment caused because of the lack of material or information available for SERENITY at the London Film & Comic Con.

We actually did have the international trailer ready to premiere, but due

to lack of communication or information from the organisers we were unable to deliver it.

The organisers had also offered us a booth - but only last week - and given the short turnaround time to produce sufficient good materials for display, we decided to decline. I'd rather do something properly, or not at all.

The information about registering on a data base for forthcoming screenings has never come from this office. No such screenings are yet confirmed, but please feel free to stay in touch and I will advise if/when there's any news. If they do go ahead, then I can assure you that all fans will have a fair chance to secure tickets."

Sounds like abit of a fiasco on the part of SM, but lets see how they respond. As for the screenings, it was never made clear whether the deal was meant to be with UIP or Universal, but I would be very interested to hear something from SM on this matter. :blush:

Interesting.

I have spoken to UIP and they were very kind and helpful.

I was told that they could not contact a certain person (i wont say the name due to reasons I can't go into). This certain person did have his phone on and laptop with him. UIP could not get in touch with him to confirm their attendence.

UIP are very sorry they could not come. They were ready and packed to travel

to Earls Court with loads of free stuff printed and ready to be handed out.

There was a communication break down with that certain person.

UIP applogised and will resolve the problem as quickly as possible. They advised to register on www.serenitymovie.com website to be notified of updates.

UIP told me that they are trying to see if they can attend another event, and are waiting confirmation from Joss Weadon and the cast members.

UIP were pissed off that people got confused that the screening would take place at London which is incorrect. The screenings would be UP + DOWN ENGLAND such as Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and all other main cities.

UIP will have an update in a couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to speak to a nice lady who took down my details and will contact me as soon as she has any news.

I have spoken to UIP and they were very kind and helpful.

I was told that they could not contact a certain person (i wont say the name due to reasons I can't go into). This certain person did have his phone on and laptop with him. UIP could not get in touch with him to confirm their attendence.

UIP are very sorry they could not come. They were ready and packed to travel

to Earls Court with loads of free stuff printed and ready to be handed out.

There was a communication break down with that certain person.

UIP applogised and will resolve the problem as quickly as possible. They advised to register on www.serenitymovie.com website to be notified of updates.

UIP told me that they are trying to see if they can attend another event, and are waiting confirmation from Joss Weadon and the cast members.

UIP were pissed off that people got confused that the screening would take place at London which is incorrect. The screenings would be UP + DOWN ENGLAND such as Bristol, Birmingham, Manchester and all other main cities.

UIP will have an update in a couple of weeks. I was lucky enough to speak to a nice lady who took down my details and will contact me as soon as she has any news.

and Showmasters said:

We have already said that we will make a statement once we have had time to talk to UIP and find out why they did not turn up; the statement on their site does not match the facts as we know them. As for deleting threads, we have simply deleted the duplicate threads you posted, as making multiple identical posts is simply abusing the boards.

what part of it did you not understand?

Just as an update on "Serenity" preview screenings for those interested, this is from an e-mail that Huitzil kindly posted on the official movie site:

Just received the following from one of the very nice people at UIP:

"Having met a few of you die hard fans now - I went along to the excellently

organised (removed to prevent offence) event - I realise what a dedicated lot you are. I met

some really nice people during that event. We are very keen to include the

UK fans in all aspects of our campaign, so feel free to pass along any

thoughts you may have.

I've just come off a conference call with Unviersal, and our UK paid

screenings have just been greenlighted, which is good news.

Will update on venues/date (we'll probably emulate the US and do in 2 or 3

stages so that we can cover off as many cities as possible). More news to

follow soon-ish."

This was confirmed by Gossi/Kevin who has been heavily involved with helping bring this about. I am still not sure if this was meant to be connected to the screening that SM were involved with, or if that is a seperate matter with Universal. Stay Shiny.

Your post also mentioned other events where you could go to for those tickets. That's against the rules of these boards (as it would be against the rules of pretty much every event's boards), so I deleted it - not Showmasters. I have no problem with you promoting screenings - I do with you promoting other events.