My first Collectormania

Before you ask (or assume), I have no connection with the organisers, and wasn't there either. I think that your statement about parking is somewhat sweeping.

Having visited a fair number of shopping centres in my line of work, I would say that a more accurate (but still not completely so) statement would be that

* those shopping centres that are either significantly out of town (e.g Crib's Causeway, Swindon Outlet Village, Bicester outlet village, Lakeside, Bluewater), or are pretty much the only thing in town (e.g. Street) don't charge, since you've pretty much got to make an effort to go there, plus you're more or less a "captive" customer

* those shopping centres that are actually in a town where there are a significant number of other retail facilities outside the shopping centre but in reasonable proximity (e.g. Maidstone, Chatham, Southampton, Basingstoke, Reading) tend to charge, because otherwise they'll be overrun with people using their car park for free, but not spending anything in the shopping centre. This is doubly so if the town is within commuting range of London and the shopping centre is within halfway reasonable distance of the train station, as otherwise the shopping centre carpark is heavily used by commuters' cars. I suspect that the MK centre falls into this latter category.

I can't comment on all, but Street definitely does charge for parking which is why I refuse to go there! the more 'savvy' centre organisers know people who pay less - or nothing - for parking are likely to visit more often and spend more money. As most of the people going to C7 had money to spend I think it would have been reasonable to either waive the parking fees, subsidize them, or refund them with a purchase.

[some cut]

Lastly, whatever else they may do, few places charge you to park on a Sunday at the same rate as a weekday.

All in all not entirely unexpected, but worth complaining about if only to see the cockroaches come crawling out of their holes B)

I apologise for my error over Street - I must have been comped there, rather than the more usual pay and reclaim.

Your observations on Sunday parking rates are also noted, and I'll agree with you (although the "Sunday differential" does seem to be shrinking), but if the particular place in MK doesn't conform to that norm, it's hardly the event organisers' fault (although it is of course their choice of venue).

The suggestion of waiving or refunding the parking fees - well, assuming the shopping centre were willing to play ball, that would probably require the event organisers to pay the shopping centre for the loss of parking income for the whole period for everyone (since you can't just identify those coming along to a free event that does not require an initial admission ticket), or pay the shopping centre for the loss of parking income for those they refund, plus the admin costs of implementing such an administrative arrangement. Since they're already using cheap volunteer labour, we both know how likely this additional expenditure on their part is :lol:

I actually agreed with most of your non-parking points (hence I didn't post a rebuttal to any of them) and charmingly I still get labelled as a cockroach. Do I take it that the Diplomatic Service haven't been kicking down your door to drag you off to their fast-track program? :D

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I WASN'T REFERRING TO YOU WITH THE COCKROACH REMARK

I doubt the shops there would open on Sunday if they didn't have the guaranteed crowd that the event brought with it, so they just saw an opportunity to make a quick killing.

I dont see the problem with handing out tickets to everyone..I mean a family can include 2 adults and 6 16 year old children..if eveyone has a ticket..its fair. You can't argue with that.

The ticket numbers that are allowed to stand in queue are decided by the amount of people actually in the queue..so if a few families of 4 go up to meet a guest quickly..then this will reflect the ticket number (and people with higher numbers will be allowed to join the queue).

If everyone has a ticket..then there can be no arguements.

And tbh you can't really complain about people waiting outside for tickets...everyone who has attended a SM event has been new at one point and have learnt to get there early. Just like you, we've all learnt the hard way. We all travel from all over the UK (and Europe)..so don't think you're the only one.

How can you complain about parking?? That has nothing to do with the actual event...I think you'll find most shopping centers charge for parking. There are free spaces..but you have to get there early...or you have to park further away. If you still don't want to do that..may I suggest the bus or train?

As for no posed photos...you pretty much answered that yourself with your 1 autograph per person suggestion...  :unsure:

Nobody likes the no posed photography signs...but that leaves you with the decision, you can ask anyway..or save your money and wait for another time to meet the guest when they're not so busy.

If you have a gripe about tickets and not getting the chance to meet a guest...take note of this experience..and come earliear. As it seems your own poor organisation ruined your day... not Showmasters. To manage such a big event in a shopping center of all things is a hard job and none of your suggestions would really help with the situation....so next time if you want to meet a certain guest and dont want to be dissapointed..get there early.

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't have the day you expected..but if you plan to come to another Collectormania event, at least you know now what to expect.

I'm guessing despite your name you're American and involved in some way because of your spelling, your ignorance of UK travel and parking, and because you didn't actually read my post, you just decided to criticize me!

It was not made clear that James Marsters would not personalize autographs, nor why no photos were allowed.

I did not complain about not having a posed photo, so get your facts straight!

Most UK shopping centres do not charge for parking - the idea is that if you make it attractive for people to park there, they come more often and spend more money.

I made it clear by family I meant up to 2 adults and 2 kids only.

I didn't get there early because I understood from advertising tyhe doors would be opened at 10 - yet I've since heard people were let in at 9am.

I won't be attending any more Showmasters events or Collectormanias - I will stick to organizations that know what they're doing.

I feel perfectly justified in complaining and I take heart from the fact I heard many complaints on the day, and have seen many more on this forum!

Whoever you are Darlkelf - and btw you are incredibly rude and ignorant - have the guts to admit it!

Jesus Christ man, if you think I'm rude and ignorant...take a step back and listen to yourself. I only took parts of your argument and said why I disagreed with them and then suggested something that you might do to rectify the situation next time.

I did not go to MK assuming if I just turned up I'd just get to meet James Masters, I did not go to MK and just assume parking would be free, I did not come on to these forums and start complaining and making uninformed idiotic suggestions. Have you ever organised an event like Collectormania before? No...well stop making out that you have and that you are all knowing. You probably do not have the slightest idea of the organisation that is involved in these events. Sure Showmasters could improve a few aspects of the event...but suggestions like one ticket per family...I mean wtf?

Yeah sure...2 Adults and 2 Children...so what happens if I have three children? :blink: I mean one ticket per person make sense...what don't you get?

And how ignorant can you be to make the statement 'Most UK shopping centres do not charge for parking', I mean it obviously depends on what kind of retail outlet it is, but even the Swindon Outlet charges for parking now. So get YOUR facts straight.

My other big gripe is why no photos? I was in a queue facing Alexis and James for 10-15 minutes and could easily have got a few good snaps - enough to keep me happy. This would in no way stop anyone else from enjoying themselves nor bother the celebs, so WHY NOT?! Showmasters, agents, security people - you are (mostly) all despicable, inadequate, sad low-lives who obviously get a kick out of spoiling peoples' fun.

As for the posed photos comment, I guess I only assumed from this statement...but now I see you were only trying to get a photo. If it is no photos at all, then it usually has something to do with the guest or their agent. And sure...you can ASSUME they're trying to get a kick out of spoiling people’s fun...yeaahh...riiigght! B)

You've obviously made your decision already, as I only simply suggested solutions to your gripes, but you obviously think you're right…so you must be. :D Would comment more, but that'd be pointless as there's no getting through to you. I'm glad you won't be attending another event.

And surrre I'm American, cause I made a few mistakes in my forum post. Please forgive me! :rolleyes: You really are a joke.

I doubt the shops there would open on Sunday if they didn't have the guaranteed crowd that the event brought with it, so they just saw an opportunity to make a quick killing.

The shopping centre is open every Sunday, regardless of Collectormania event. It also charges for parking every Sunday at a normal rate. As a local of Milton Keynes, this is a point of some debate, but that's for a different forum. That said, there ARE free spaces, I got to the centre at 11.00 on the Sunday, parked in the free, all day spaces near the garden centre and there was a LOT of spaces still available at that time. Anyone coming to this forum prior to the event would of found a bunch of very helpful locals directing people to the best parking.

As for James Masters, I can confirm it said no personalisations and no photo's on the Sunday. The message was on the small whiteboard where they were showing what number the photo's were up to. Sadly, I under-estimated the popularity of James and was unable to get a tciket, although at 11.15, he'd already signed over 300.

I can confirm that I don't work for Showmasters either in a professional, nor voluntary capacity.

As a side note, if you try to be less of a rude, agressive numpty, you might get more respect for your points. As it happens, you've lost any credibility with your insults and poorly thought out comments.

The shopping centre is open every Sunday, regardless of Collectormania event. It also charges for parking every Sunday at a normal rate. As a local of Milton Keynes, this is a point of some debate, but that's for a different forum. That said, there ARE free spaces, I got to the centre at 11.00 on the Sunday, parked in the free, all day spaces near the garden centre and there was a LOT of spaces still available at that time. Anyone coming to this forum prior to the event would of found a bunch of very helpful locals directing people to the best parking.

As for James Masters, I can confirm it said no personalisations and no photo's on the Sunday. The message was on the small whiteboard where they were showing what number the photo's were up to. Sadly, I under-estimated the popularity of James and was unable to get a tciket, although at 11.15, he'd already signed over 300.

I can confirm that I don't work for Showmasters either in a professional, nor voluntary capacity.

As a side note, if you try to be less of a rude, agressive numpty, you might get more respect for your points. As it happens, you've lost any credibility with your insults and poorly thought out comments.

round of applause for that man with the concrete cow pic!. Also i used to live 10 mins from MK and can second that it opens every sunday-always charges parking except in free spaces, best ones being outside john lewis. And id like to know what town (not retail parks) shopping centres you've been to that dont charge for parking?!

Spolky... Are you always this depressing? I, like most of the other people at the show had a great time! I got lots of merchandise that is unavailible elsewhere, and met some of the guests, all of whom were very nice. The staff/volunteers where all perfectly good, and I cannot honestly think of anything to complain about.

It was a great bank holiday, and the venue was excellent!

Roll on September's show!

^_^

there's no need to make these things personal

oh and YOU get your fact straight, darkelfuk is actually from the UK, DUH  :P

You've met this person have you?

if you check his profile, it says he is in the UK :D

and yes, he is a well known member of the forum :lol:

Ah so because it says so on his profile it has to be true?

Is everyone on here on drugs or 5 years old? Wake up! Companies like SM put people on here to make it look good, the same as they put people in talks to ask nice questions. You lot are so naive!

LOL this bit cracked me up!!! I have met Darkelfuk and can safely say that he has not been put on here by SM lmao! :D

Oh, and about the free parking...what city do you live in? It's SO hard to find free parking where I live! :o

And finally, I clearly saw a sign by the James Marsters queue (on Sunday) saying no photos...sorry! :P

if you check his profile, it says he is in the UK :D

and yes, he is a well known member of the forum :lol:

Is everyone on here on drugs or 5 years old? Wake up! Companies like SM put people on here to make it look good, the same as they put people in talks to ask nice questions. You lot are so naive!

LOL this bit cracked me up!!! I have met Darkelfuk and can safely say that he has not been put on here by SM lmao! :D

Oh, and about the free parking...what city do you live in? It's SO hard to find free parking where I live! :o

And finally, I clearly saw a sign by the James Marsters queue (on Sunday) saying no photos...sorry! :P

Where did I say there was no 'no photos' sign???? Again, someone who couldn't be arsed to read my post before slagging me off.

if you check his profile, it says he is in the UK B)

and yes, he is a well known member of the forum :D

LOL this bit cracked me up!!! I have met Darkelfuk and can safely say that he has not been put on here by SM lmao! :lol:

Oh, and about the free parking...what city do you live in? It's SO hard to find free parking where I live! B)

Where did I say there was no 'no photos' sign???? Again, someone who couldn't be arsed to read my post before slagging me off.

Oh sorry! But the other points are valid!

And, just for the record...that wasn't me slagging you off! :rolleyes:

oh and YOU get your fact straight, darkelfuk is actually from the UK, DUH  B)

if you check his profile, it says he is in the UK :lol:

and yes, he is a well known member of the forum :D

LOL this bit cracked me up!!! I have met Darkelfuk and can safely say that he has not been put on here by SM lmao! :rolleyes:

Oh, and about the free parking...what city do you live in? It's SO hard to find free parking where I live! B)

No, you said there was no sign saying no personalisations.... and I'm telling you that I was there on Sunday and there WAS a sign saying that.

There were signs Sunday and Monday about both no photos and no personalisations.

As for all people with low ticket numbers being locals: I came from Germany, my room mate even from the US. We had tickets in the low 60s.

How we got them? 1) We did know James was going to be popular. So we 2) got in line at 3.30 AM in the morning. 3) we bothered to check on things first (you could clearly see where James was going to be seated from the windows), so 4) we lined up at the closest door.

I understand why you are grumpy, spolky. But you can't blame everything on Showmasters. You made all that effort and yet there were other fans making even more efforts. That's the actual problem I think.

I'll bypass most of the rude stuff that was going on here inbetween and just try to give my two cents on your original comments.

1) only one ticket for a whole family.

This won't work. How can you tell apart who's family and who's not? People would try to get through their friends as sisters, brothers, whatever. I've been to a couple of these events organised by other companies, and I have seen what can happen.

2) limited autographs per person.

There is a limit of 5 items if there is virtual queueing. Especially for popular guests this was strictly enforced at C7 (James, Jolene and Alexis for example). Like it was mentioned here earlier, some people collect stuff for friends who can't make it. 5 sounds like a fair compromise to me.

Arms full of stuff... Maybe these people were dealers, and I am not exactly familiar how the rules at C7 were for them.

Everything else has been covered by previous posters, no need to start the heat again. :blush:

And no, I am no member of the crew or something. Collectormania 7 was my fifth Showmasters event and yes, I had my gripes with them before. I wasn't entirely happy at C7 either (talk tickets anyone? :wub: ), but it was overall a nice experience for me anyway.

Edited by Queen_Sindel

I must admit i seen no signs on the sunday but then again i didnt see much around the james stand apart from heads :blush: I found out about no posed piccys from the crew member at the top of the que but that then was when i decided not to bother waiting as i was in the 1000s numbers and have a piccy with james but a old one and wanted a new one but as it stood i saved 20 quid thou :P:wub::wub:

Edited by vampess

Spolky you need to chill, if im crewing at any of these events or you talk to any of the crew in the same abusive and generally crap manner the only people you will be getting stuff signed by will be Alec Guiness & 2pac!