C7 Crew Good or Bad

Interesting that so far its 100% "painfully bad".

Are all the CM 'crew' volunteers from the message boards?

Almost all of the ones I've seen / met have been teenagers who, no offense to anyone intended, are unlikely to have the people management skills required for dealing with large crowds and fans, and this comes through in their treatment and attitude.

CM is meant to be a professional event, but certainly the two CM events (4 and 6) that I've been to have had the management you would expect from an amateur event. It doesn't sound like CM7 was any better.

Amateur is a good way of describing the whole event - and yes, most of the staff are on this board! I'd like to get hold of the people at the top who are laughing at us as they count their millions in used notes.

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"they will be nice to us if we nice to them"

not quite the right qoute but its true

i had a problem on saturday went up to a staff member and explained he could not help but got someone (the pit boss for the lotr guests) she was really helpful even though i could see she was stressed if you get a bad experience dont forget there is always someone who is in charge of them who you can go to but remeber they like all people will help if your polite to them or if you shout and stamp you feet they will just dig in and stick to the rules

I will also put my money where my mouth is and volunteer (job pending) for one or two days of LFCC. I think its fair if I complain to do it myself, I have 18 months stewarding experience for harsher events that this, and should be able to cope with it and bring skills along.

Very nice of you to do so, and a lead I hope others will follow. Can I just say though that the LFACC and Collectormania are completely different animals - you're not going to get the general public, confined spaces and a greenhouse at Earls Court. Consider volunteering for C8 as well.....

It was all mostly fine in my opinion, but I was only there for a short time on Saturday. The only problem I had was that I was amongst the first lot (well within the first 30) in the queue for Jolene that morning. 2 crew members started to give the tickets out using 2 different ticket books. When I got mine it was number 213! How could it be that high when I was amongst the first ones? She assured me that they weren't starting from low numbers so I though it was ok. However when we were called up they started from 50 like they usually do.

However in their defense when I said that to them they let me go through as her queue was still small.

Perhaps SM need to tell the ticket people not to do this next time though, or they may have angry customers.

There was a really good american lady around the Sean Astin queue on Saturday, things got a bit out of control due to the crowds and she stepped in sorted it all out straight away and was great

She was helping with jrds que as well! Im sure it was julie caitlan brown!- she was great wasn't she!!

As for crew - the ones i spoke to were very nice and helpful! Especially the girl giiving out tickets for jolene on the sat? and the girl who was sat with nalini on the sat aswell!! Oh how i envy her! Nalini was so friendly and to be sat with her all day must have been great!

I have been going to Collectormania since C1 and have never had a problem with the crew untill Saturday when each crew member would not help me, would not even talk, they where rude.

Showmasters i think that you need to look at every crew member you got this year and delete them from you list.

Their was only one helpful crew member which was the one handing out tickets on Jamie Bambers Q on friday morning she was very helpful and even got in the Q early as there where no people so she said just go in even though my ticket was not up yet, Thank you who ever you are.

B):( thank you , i always try my best for you guys! :D:blush: That's soooo made my day!!!!

If you had a specific problem with any members of crew you should have brought it up with a senior member of crew at the event, or approached the info desk. Theres no point in bringing this up now, what help is it to anyone? You could be talking about any member of crew. If you felt a member of crew wasn't doing their job properly you should have asked for their name.

Showmasters i think that you need to look at every crew member you got this year and delete them from you list.

How can anyone possibly take you seriously? You're obviously misconcepted if you HONESTLY think every member of crew wasn't doing their job properly.

If you had a specific problem with any members of crew you should have brought it up with a senior member of crew at the event, or approached the info desk. Theres no point in bringing this up now, what help is it to anyone? You could be talking about any member of crew. If you felt a member of crew wasn't doing their job properly you should have asked for their name.

How can anyone possibly take you seriously? You're obviously misconcepted if you HONESTLY think every member of crew wasn't doing their job properly.

Personally, if I was showmasters, I'd find it useful being brought up now.

I'd notice that people are reporting that some crew members physically pushed people out the way, and make sure that at the next event crew knew not to physically manhandle visitors.

I'd notice that people are reporting that some crew members were very rude with guests. Enough information has been given about these incidents that you would be able to pinpoint who it was - if I was showmasters I would look at either not using those people again, or giving them a less 'stressful' job next time where they wouldn't have to deal with people so much.

I'd notice that some crew told people one thing, and some crew told people another, so I would look at issuing some kind of information pack (by email?) a couple of days before the event and ask crew to familiarise themselves with it. That way everyone would be 'singing from the same hymn sheet'. Look at Raylenth's post a few above this one for the type of thing I'm on about.

I'd notice that people got upset about lack of posed photos - so I would have physical signs at the event - and notices on the website - saying that photos were not available. I would have the people ticketing say this to every single person who was handed a ticket ("heres your ticket, but you won't be able to have a posed photo"). Would only take a moment, and would manage people's expectations a lot better.

One other thing: from sydney_bristow's post, it seems that one of the managers of one of the guests had to step in to organise a queue / crowd control. Where was the crew member who should have done that? Why did a guest's manager have to step in to do crewing? It was obviously very good of her to do so, but surely that should have been adequetely managed by the CM crew?

I'd notice that people got upset about lack of posed photos - so I would have physical signs at the event - and notices on the website.

It's up to the guest on the day, all guests that didn't want posed photos had signs on the desk and on the signs behind them. If they didn't, you would have been informed before taking a photo.

One other thing: from sydney_bristow's post, it seems that one of the managers of one of the guests had to step in to organise a queue / crowd control. Where was the crew member who should have done that? Why did a guest's manager have to step in to do crewing? It was obviously very good of her to do so, but surely that should have been adequetely managed by the CM crew?

Actually, that particular manager insists on trying to manage crowds, despite the fact we'd prefer her not to because she tends to annoy people with her rude attitude and actually create more problems for us. But, we can hardly tell her to go away.

I'd notice that some crew told people one thing, and some crew told people another, so I would look at issuing some kind of information pack (by email?) a couple of days before the event and ask crew to familiarise themselves with it. That way everyone would be 'singing from the same hymn sheet'. Look at Raylenth's post a few above this one for the type of thing I'm on about.

We do usually get a crew handbook before the event, it was only because everything was very last-minute this time that we didn't. The problem is that CM is very complex, and you can never cover every situation. Bear in mind that most people are below 20 years old, working 11 hours days without proper breaks and being faced with angry people saying they've travelled hundreds of miles and demanding preferential treatment. Many adults would find it difficult, but I think (from an admittedly biased viewpoint) that we do a pretty good job bearing in mind how hectic CM is, simply because every crew member I've met loves working for SM. You can't please everyone but we try to be as fair and helpful as is possible.

• Showmasters Admin
Hey

I was crewing Alexander Siddig's line and handing out tickets on the Sunday and I thought that went pretty well and there were no problems. Everyone seemed happy enough - even if guests, crew and visitors were all roasting. Whose bright idea was it to design a shopping centre like a greenhouse? *g*. But if anyone did have any problems with that bit feel free to email me. I don't bite...I just steal cans of coke and say 'squidge' alot :(

COKE STEALER ^_^

Hmmmmm, I wasn't quite sure whether or not to reply here, but I feel kinda honour bound to.

I was crewing this weekend, on Sunday I was at the front of James Marsters queue trying to let as many fans as possible meet him.

Crewing is a frankly thankless task, not many people at all would ever dream of getting home from an event and starting a thread saying "The crew were absolutely fantastic, thank you to this person, that person, that person, etc".

Some of you may say that's because of the experiences that you have with crew, and that no-one has a positive experience. This is frankly bull. People *do* have positive experiences at these events, but unfortunately the way of the world these days seems to be one of complaining when things are bad but not complimenting if things are good.

It's easy to complain, but a little harder to understand, to put yourself in our position. Yes, I know you might say that we shouldn't volunteer, that maybe we're just glory hunters who want to get closer to the guests. This again couldn't be much further from the truth - the fact is that many of the crew may not get to meet everyone they want to over the weekend.

I *do* believe that there are issues that may need to be adressed before the next event, but please bear with us all - life isn't perfect, and can you honestly say that every single experience you had with a member of crew was negative? It's easy to maybe exaggerate and say yes, but you'll know the truth - not all of us are bad, so please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

For the record, I'm 28, and have been in customer service for 12 years now.

So true, people only need to open their minds a little to understand out situation. It's hard to take individuals seriously if they're making such statements as 'all crew were bad'.

And yes, most of those who join the forum have either had a REALLY good time or just a bad experience. Those who generally had a good day don't seem to.

Actually, that particular manager insists on trying to manage crowds, despite the fact we'd prefer her not to because she tends to annoy people with her rude attitude and actually create more problems for us. But, we can hardly tell her to go away.

We do usually get a crew handbook before the event, it was only because everything was very last-minute this time that we didn't. The problem is that CM is very complex, and you can never cover every situation. Bear in mind that most people are below 20 years old, working 11 hours days without proper breaks and being faced with angry people saying they've travelled hundreds of miles and demanding preferential treatment. Many adults would find it difficult, but I think (from an admittedly biased viewpoint) that we do a pretty good job bearing in mind how hectic CM is, simply because every crew member I've met loves working for SM. You can't please everyone but we try to be as fair and helpful as is possible.

Not having seen the manager in question - I've no idea if she makes things better or worse...sydney_bristow's post suggested she made things better - which is what baffled me, as if the crew was doing their job properly, she shouldn't have been able to do things better as they would be sorted out already (if you see what I'm saying).

I hope you're not suggesting that people under a certain age get stressed / tired / do the job any worse than people over a certain age (chortle). People here seem to get very heated when you suggest that with age comes experience of people management - of course, this is why all successful policemen are 10 years old, all successful politicians are 12 years old, and all multinational companies are run by 5 year olds... :lol:

You say that you didn't get a handbook this year because it was all last minute. No offence, but don't any of you have a problem with that? You were put out with no handbook because SM hadn't prepared one for you - again, I'd say that was irresponsible of SM as it left crew uninformed and therefore not able to do their job properly.

If anyone had any problems with me personally (I was with Jeremy Bulloch all day Saturday and Daniel Logan, when he was around, on Sunday),

Ha I spoke to you on sunday! I came to see daniel and i said it was the first time i tracked him down all weekend and then when i met him he was going on about my perfume! (remember me??)

Ha I spoke to you on sunday! I came to see daniel and i said it was the first time i tracked him down all weekend and then when i met him he was going on about my perfume! (remember me??)

Yep, I remember.

You were one of the very small few who actually managed to catch him that day! :lol:

Hmmmmm, I wasn't quite sure whether or not to reply here, but I feel kinda honour bound to.

I was crewing this weekend, on Sunday I was at the front of James Marsters queue trying to let as many fans as possible meet him.

Crewing is a frankly thankless task, not many people at all would ever dream of getting home from an event and starting a thread saying "The crew were absolutely fantastic, thank you to this person, that person, that person, etc".

Some of you may say that's because of the experiences that you have with crew, and that no-one has a positive experience. This is frankly bull. People *do* have positive experiences at these events, but unfortunately the way of the world these days seems to be one of complaining when things are bad but not complimenting if things are good.

It's easy to complain, but a little harder to understand, to put yourself in our position. Yes, I know you might say that we shouldn't volunteer, that maybe we're just glory hunters who want to get closer to the guests. This again couldn't be much further from the truth - the fact is that many of the crew may not get to meet everyone they want to over the weekend.

I *do* believe that there are issues that may need to be adressed before the next event, but please bear with us all - life isn't perfect, and can you honestly say that every single experience you had with a member of crew was negative? It's easy to maybe exaggerate and say yes, but you'll know the truth - not all of us are bad, so please don't tar everyone with the same brush.

For the record, I'm 28, and have been in customer service for 12 years now.

You say that not many people would start a thread saying how great the crew were - well, there certainly seems to be at least one of those - and plenty of posts in other threads saying 'thank you to this crew person' and 'thanks to that crew person'.

I've only seen one post in this thread (I've not read every thread) saying that 'all crew were bad' - in fact, it didn't even say that, it said that Showmasters should delete all the crew and start afresh. So (apart from that one person) there has been no mention of 'all crew suck', no mention of 'everyone has a bad time' - I do wish people would stop making things up that haven't been said (this seems to be happening a lot in this thread - people don't read comments properly and jump to conclusions, thereby getting all worked up over something that hasn't been said).

People have tried to understand the position of the crew - its a tiring, stressful job!

However, when you suggest using either older people or people with more experience (who won't get as tired or as stressed) then countless crew members jump in with "Well, I'm 5 years old and I've been crewing for the last 50 years, so what about me, hey, hey, hey????", and to be honest, there just seems little point.

I'm glad we agree there are issues to be addressed. This is all myself, and others, have tried to say - but sadly you just have responses of 'stop complaining' - rather than listen and accept that actually, there might be some validity in what is being said.

Out of curiosity - you've clearly got experience in customer services - were you asked if you had any experience before SM gave you a crewing position?

Just wanted to say that the lass who was handing out tickets for Jamie Bamber of Friday was very helpful and friendly :lol: (I think this comment was made somewhere else about her too). Also, the woman sat WITH jamie was equally helpful and useful with a camera. Thanks to them both.

++note++ this isn't a complaint about any other crew, it's just these two stood out as providing exceptionl, warm customer service.

Yep, I remember.

You were one of the very small few who actually managed to catch him that day! :lol:

was it you that wrote the sign about if you see him wondering send him back?