WORST THING YOU THOUGHT ABOUT C7

FON

I agree with one thing though .. that it was baffling that Alexis signed AND personalised photographs and was still whoopin' James butt with the amount of people he was seeing ... what's up with that!

I'm not really moaning as I am sure the rest of you had a good time .. but it for me it was kinda a let down I guess

:lol:

Cos james has got a hand injury that's why it takes him longer and why he wasn't personalising

james never personalises. he has to do soooo many he just signs. the argument that alexis does just as many and personlises is hilarious.. its not a competition :(:lol:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My major complaint of the day was how rushed everything was. I met James Marsters, JRD, Sean Astin and Antony Head and i barely got a minute with them altogether. I got to the doors 4 5 am and had no probs getting any of their autographs but i was pushed past byt he crew members b4 i had a chance2 say two words to any of them. The only guest i actaully got to speak to was Sean Astin and thats cus i was getting 5 signitures, and for £100 i should have got a photo at least :(

The worst queue was Alexis Denisof, i was going up 2 get his autograph but changed my mind when i saw the way the people were being pushed through. The crew member was actually putting her hands on peoples shoulders and moving them to where she wanted them to stand. I went up to take a photo of my sister meeting him and she tried to move me too, if i'd been asked politley i may have stepped to one side, but to actaully be grabbed and pulled to the side was completely unacceptable.

I've always loved CM but came away yesterday feeling quite cheated cus i didnt get to actually really meet and speak to the guests, it was like a production line. Im not criticising showmasters, i was speaking to one of them yesterday and i completely understand the dilemma, if they slowed the quueus down and let people have photos then less people would get to meet them and then they would all complain. I'm aware you cant please everyone. But when someone like me who has always loved the event and enjoyed going comes away thinking i really dont want to go again, no matter what guests they get, then the really is a problem that needs rectifying. The experiences with the guests is what makes it special, its why i queue up early and spend a huge chunk of my wages, and i didnt get it at all this time unfortunely.

This was the third or fourth Collectormania event I have been to. It certainly seemed to be the busiest as far as I could tell.

My first criticism would be the 20th Century Fox stall. Firstly - it ould have been better if there were actually someone from Fox there and not a Collectormania staff slauched in his chair looking bored and miserable (sorry but you did!). I saw people walking all over the place with Kingdom Of Heaven posters, but couldn't see where they were coming from. Rather than just leaving a few postacrds on the table, perhaps someone should be more active in giving them away. Also - the Kingdom Of Heaven competition was badly promoted and no one has bothered to announce the winner, which is ridiculous and this certainly needs revising!

I had no problems with the VQ system - I think it is great. Thinkabout it, if you don't have it then you will have huge queues all day, and people will be waiting for ages and it will be completely unorganised. I do think that photos should be allowed to be taken with the guests and conversations, but I do think that these should be controlled, otherwise the queues would just stop. But do remember that when you have a popular guest, the sames qeustions are probably asked all day, so it boring for the guest.

I also think that there should be pre-signed photos for sale (for the same price, or maybe cheaper) at the Crew Stand, that way people who aren't, or can't, wanting to meet the guests can get e autographs at a good price.

I don't think that the venue should move from Milton Keynes. But perhaps some different organising of the layout. There wasn't enough room to move around in the stall area (especially with ignorant people stopping in the middle (not even to the side) of the ailes) Also - I thought it was quite irresponsible of people taking pusschairs around (Although I do understand about trying to find someone to look after one's children, but perhaps a little bit of considerations wouldn't go amiss - and I think that applys to everyone really, even myself) I didn't find any of the staff or stall owners rude at all - although I did find other members of the public rude. I certainly do not think that the convention should move out of Milton Keynes, not only because I think MK is a fantastic place (I may be the only one!) but also if they move to the NEC or somewhere like that, then it may mean more travelling for some people and ShowMasters may not get the numbers that attend MK.

I met most of the guests I wanted to, although I wasn't fussed about the ones I didn't meet, and that was due to my bad timing. I was hoping to get to ask or have a brief chat with Alexander Siddig, but as I had several bits to put away after getting them signed I really didn't want to hold the queue up, as I know what it is like to wait to get someones autograph when someone else is chatting to them, without the end in sight!

Anyway - I had a great time, although I do think that some more chairs around the main hall would be helpful (and also something to be done about people crowding around the queueing areas of the guests in the main hall as there are people there just staring at the guests and getting in the way. I can't wait for C8 and look forward to being there again in September.

My major complaint of the day was how rushed everything was. I met James Marsters, JRD, Sean Astin and Antony Head and i barely got a minute with them altogether. I got to the doors 4 5 am and had no probs getting any of their autographs but i was pushed past byt he crew members b4 i had a chance2 say two words to any of them. The only guest i actaully got to speak to was Sean Astin and thats cus i was getting 5 signitures, and for £100 i should have got a photo at least :unsure:

The worst queue was Alexis Denisof, i was going up 2 get his autograph but changed my mind when i saw the way the people were being pushed through. The crew member was actually putting her hands on peoples shoulders and moving them to where she wanted them to stand. I went up to take a photo of my sister meeting him and she tried to move me too, if i'd been asked politley i may have stepped to one side, but to actaully be grabbed and pulled to the side was completely unacceptable.

I've always loved CM but came away yesterday feeling quite cheated cus i didnt get to actually really meet and speak to the guests, it was like a production line. Im not criticising showmasters, i was speaking to one of them yesterday and i completely understand the dilemma, if they slowed the quueus down and let people have photos then less people would get to meet them and then they would all complain. I'm aware you cant please everyone. But when someone like me who has always loved the event and enjoyed going comes away thinking i really dont want to go again, no matter what guests they get, then the really is a problem that needs rectifying. The experiences with the guests is what makes it special, its why i queue up early and spend a huge chunk of my wages, and i didnt get it at all this time unfortunely.

Always nice to see another satisfied Showmasters customer. :lol:

The worst queue was Alexis Denisof, i was going up 2 get his autograph but changed my mind when i saw the way the people were being pushed through.  The crew member was actually putting her hands on peoples shoulders and moving them to where she wanted them to stand.  I went up to take a photo of my sister meeting him and she tried to move me too, if i'd been asked politley i may have stepped to one side, but to actaully be grabbed and pulled to the side was completely unacceptable.

Queue control is a crappy and thankless task. In order to allow as many people as possible to get an autograph and/or meet the guest, you have to (unfortunately) hurry people along. So you're slagged off for doing your job wether you benefit the people at front of the queue or at the end. It's completely impossible to win *shrug*:unsure:

I was working ADs Q for most of Sunday (though I was covered for a while when I ran off for a break and to get Alan Cumming's auto, so I understand that you may not be referring to me) but I have NEVER pulled or grabbed anyone that I don't know personally.

On occasion, it can be necessary to touch someone's shoulder as you ask them to move. They've been queueing and waiting for hours to see one of their favourite stars and people start to freeze up as they get closer to the guest, it's just nerves really. Sometimes people totally shut down and you could stand there offering them free money and you still wouldn't catch their attention! lol

It's not like we're poking you all down the line with an electric cattle prod *rolleyes* But with all due respect (and this is not a comment about you personally, because I don't know you), if people observed what was going on in front of them instead of idly blocking the exits and understood that they're not the only person in the queue and that there are literally hundreds of others waiting, then maybe it would all run smoother and the attendees would have a much happier experience.

At the end of the day we're there to do as the guest and/or organisers want. If a guest wants to talk to people and take their time or if they want to sign for as many people as possible, its our job to hurry people through as appropriate and we take the flack for it. Personally, I've got thick skin, so I don't mind :P

Other than that, I hope you enjoyed the show. :lol:

EDIT - I deleted this post 'cos I thought better of it, then I decided to replace it. I went out of my way to be friendly to people, I helped with personalisations to save your names being spelt incorrectly on your photos and thanks to everyone working with that guest, more people met AD than were expected and once again he managed to get through his entire Virtual Queue.

Dude! I remember you - I think... :unsure:

You were lovely! Everyone on AD's and JM's queues were!

Well, they were to me. :P

Thanks for the positive feedback, we tried our best :lol:

It was overall a good event but the MK center can not cope with the likes of James Masters. The stalls were so packed i felt ill and dizzy and barely bought anything.

The most dissapointing thing for me was no personalised autos for me there's no point in getting an auto from cm if it's not i might as well buy it from the net and so i didn't meet James because of that on monday and i wouldn't have met Sean and Alexis if they hadn't been.

Also no posed photo's for £20 which is a big amount of money i want a photo and in future i'll be more willing to go to an event that is a bit more expensive to get to talk to them and have a photo.

The Trailer tent was dissapointing and the staff at Alexis's queue far to pushy " move on move on no gaps no gaps" what am i cattle.

I've been going to CM events since C4. Loved cm 4 and 5 found 6 very dissapointing and 7 made better by Sean and Alexis who were lovely.

The staff in Sean's queue were much better than Alexis thanks for treating me like a person!!

the argument that alexis does just as many and personlises is hilarious.. its not a competition 

I didn't think it was hilarious or a competition ... as I didn't get either autograph I was just offering an outsiders opionion is all

the worst thing for me was the red dwarf cast. i only really went there to get Cat, Lister and Rimmers autographs, but with Chris Barry cancelling, and Craig Charles being sold out, i was a bit gutted :P but im not really complaining! it was still a wicked weekend! party was cool, and with all the money i saved not gettin autographs, i bought a waaaay cool lightsaber :lol:

:help: sean astin, bernard hill and john reece davies were brilliant, they were kind and took their time to sign autographs and chat, sean astin signed my photo and all three names he spelled wrong but as he said, its a genuine one, so i kept it and glad i did, i think the ticket system was bad news, it should be first come first served as some people were pushing in even though they were loads of numbers behind some of the people that were there, but i would ahve thought there would have been a lot of people who had tickets that did not want to wait that long and decided not to wait, so really the ticket idea was not a good one. change for next year please and personal posed pics please as was when craig parker was there, but on the whole a really good day out for me and my hubby, we loved it and hope to be going again,

I thought the stalls were really good, but i am looking for a map of foil of middle earth, anyone have one? not one to be found on sunday as mk,l can anyone help?

:D

The worst queue was Alexis Denisof, i was going up 2 get his autograph but changed my mind when i saw the way the people were being pushed through.  The crew member was actually putting her hands on peoples shoulders and moving them to where she wanted them to stand.  I went up to take a photo of my sister meeting him and she tried to move me too, if i'd been asked politley i may have stepped to one side, but to actaully be grabbed and pulled to the side was completely unacceptable.

Queue control is a crappy and thankless task. In order to allow as many people as possible to get an autograph and/or meet the guest, you have to (unfortunately) hurry people along. So you're slagged off for doing your job wether you benefit the people at front of the queue or at the end. It's completely impossible to win *shrug*:D

I was working ADs Q for most of Sunday (though I was covered for a while when I ran off for a break and to get Alan Cumming's auto, so I understand that you may not be referring to me) but I have NEVER pulled or grabbed anyone that I don't know personally.

On occasion, it can be necessary to touch someone's shoulder as you ask them to move. They've been queueing and waiting for hours to see one of their favourite stars and people start to freeze up as they get closer to the guest, it's just nerves really. Sometimes people totally shut down and you could stand there offering them free money and you still wouldn't catch their attention! lol

It's not like we're poking you all down the line with an electric cattle prod *rolleyes* But with all due respect (and this is not a comment about you personally, because I don't know you), if people observed what was going on in front of them instead of idly blocking the exits and understood that they're not the only person in the queue and that there are literally hundreds of others waiting, then maybe it would all run smoother and the attendees would have a much happier experience.

At the end of the day we're there to do as the guest and/or organisers want. If a guest wants to talk to people and take their time or if they want to sign for as many people as possible, its our job to hurry people through as appropriate and we take the flack for it. Personally, I've got thick skin, so I don't mind :P

Other than that, I hope you enjoyed the show. :P

EDIT - I deleted this post 'cos I thought better of it, then I decided to replace it. I went out of my way to be friendly to people, I helped with personalisations to save your names being spelt incorrectly on your photos and thanks to everyone working with that guest, more people met AD than were expected and once again he managed to get through his entire Virtual Queue.

Hey dude, know controlling the queue must be a pretty tough job, i admire anyone who actually wants to spend the day doing it, but i can assure u i wasn't standing in anyones way or stopped idley through nerves or anything like that. I was standing slightly to one side of Alexis taking a photo of my sis meeting him and whoever the crew member was, tried to drag me to the side, unsucessfully by the way. I admit i may have been rude to them at the time, i had to watch my sis cry her eyes out most the day cus she didnt get a photo with JM, and i found it tough. I usually have no probs with the crew, but there are some crew members who forget how much it means to people to meet their favourite stars. At the end of the day most of them are just doing what they're told and we just have to deal with it

Love Jen xx

I agree with one thing though .. that it was baffling that Alexis signed AND personalised photographs and was still whoopin' James butt with the amount of people he was seeing ... what's up with that!

I'm not really moaning as I am sure the rest of you had a good time .. but it for me it was kinda a let down I guess

:D

Cos james has got a hand injury that's why it takes him longer and why he wasn't personalising

james never personalises. he has to do soooo many he just signs. the argument that alexis does just as many and personlises is hilarious.. its not a competition :wub::lol:

i've got an autograph from a few years back that is personalised so he used to do it

I was quite surprised I managed to meet James after I'd heard that there was some problems on the Sunday...

was a bit annoyed with the not personalising autos but then I guess they wanted to get through everyone...

Kali was a darling to meet and hope to see her again some day! :lol:

and as for stewards, everyone I came across was nice and friendly :)

GUYS GUYS GUYS

The biggest problem with Collectormania is very simple, its the general public!

We dont get half these problems at LFCC or other events! The lines by Sean, John and those guys were bedlam because loads of passer bye were trying to get in. Or just having a nose

The same problem with the stalls they try and fit 3/4 of the guys from LFCC into a space a 1/4 as big and when you get piles of mums with pushchairs and kids into those spaces nobody can move. Also not every fan is built for tight conditions, im not being harsh but im sure you will agree some fans are bigger than others and some are smaller its just crazy.

The trouble is would you rather pay £10 and avoid a lot of the hassle. I would in a heartbeat because the other events leave me feeling a lot more chilled out.

Also with regards to the crew I have never had any problems myself with any of them I can remember, but as some of you feel hacked off with some of them, take it up with them there. If you feeling pushed just say please hold off a sec, they may not realise they are doing it, it seems a crazy job. Basically its better to tell them what you think there and then and get it sorted rather than coming away upset.

and the photo thing. easy way and what i do just get a mate to stand behind and as the guest looks up stand facing the camera its as good as posed, all you need is a buddy and a camera or a crew member will usually do it.

Soap box time again methinks.....

Another event, another bout of tears and endless debate (usually in that order)

Please allow me to introduce myself, I've sat on every conceivable side of the fandom fence. Those being; Organiser, retailer/dealer/"Stall Holder", crowd-control, autograph/collector. Been there, seen it, done it for many, many years in a lifetime far, far away....

For me, money is NO object (shriek, nooooo!!). If expenditure were measured against the average attendee, confidently, this would represent approx 1700 to 2000 individuals spending £15 each.... all in 4 years!!

It's fair to say, I have some idea concerning the experiences of Collectormania and related events.

I paid visits to, ("in no particular order........")

Jeremy Bulloch, Alan Cumming, Tom Felton, Irvin Kershner, Gary Kurtz, Temuera Morrison, Ray Park, Dave Prowse, ("and last but, by no means least....") Bruce Spence.

I employed people to collect from; Sean Astin, Kenny Baker, John-Rhys Davies, Alexis Denisof, Anthony Head, Bernard Hill, James Marsters, Peter Mayhew, Katee Sackhoff.

Multiple autographs were obtained with speed, clinical accuracy and free from blood, sweat and tears.

Thus proving it can be done, given the appropriate resources.

Showmasters organised a fantastic event, with a Guest line-up to die for (some visitors take this almost too literally!!), there was something for everyone .....cliche excused.

Taking into account the monumental appearance of Marsters, Denisof and Head on Sunday what exactly did the "General Public" expect, fee-paying or otherwise? For my money, literally and metaphorically, I expected an attendance parallell to Wood, Astin, Monaghan, Serkis. Does anyone remember that weekend? I do, oddly.

I've been a fan, like anyone else, but now I'm realistic. Attend an event such as Collectormania, be prepared to join an historical, inescapable, British Institution....... the Queue! Virtual or otherwise.

Sources reveal some Buffy fans were queueing from 1 a.m. That's their chosen course of action, so be it. I'm reasonably assured they collected their prized autographs, without much ado and henceforth left rather fulfilled. Had they chosen to turn up at CMK at 9 a.m. I'm sure it would have been a slightly different story. It's a free market economy- make your choice, follow your actions, or get over it (N.B./please note, children under 12 excepted from this ideal).

The guests I chose to meet, I did so in most cases after 2 p.m. on Sunday. Guess what? No Queues!? Magic!? Strategy would seem to pay off. Each one had all the time in the world to converse, no pressure, no worries. For example Bruce Spence was the most genuine, friendly Chap you could ever hope to meet. He provided great insight into one of the most influential films in Modern Cinema; Mad Max 2/The Road Warrior. It was a real honour to have met Mr Spence. Call me Psychic or Cynic, you decide, I figured chasing a guest with a virtual queue distributed to it's limit of 1000 was a futile dream destined to end in tears.

During my Sunday's proceedings, all Collectormania Staff/Crew were marvellous, without exception.

Considering the pressure they're all under, Crew members performed the best they humanly could. If anyone else thinks they can do better, bring it on, volunteer. I do of course speak from experience, from both sides of the queue. I have been involved with Celebrity appearances from the worlds of James Bond, Lord of the Rings and Star Wars Strangely, it's no picnic. To maintain a cool exterior requires the patience of a Saint, or better still, a life-threatening hand-held weapon.

For my puposes the last thing I require, largely speaking, is personalisition on an autographed item. The reasons for this, practiced by many, is obvious -unwritten you might say. It's pertinent, and technically a Legal requirement, for a Signatory to display the fact whether or not they personalise an autograph. This is because when you pay a fee for a service, in this case an autograph, you enter into a contract of sale. This contract should stipulate what should or should not be expected within this process i.e. "no posed Photographs" "no personalisations" or conversely "all autographs personalised". This was prominently displayed before the "point of sale" allowing the individual to choose whether or not to part with their money. In respect to an inclusive conversation/ Q & A, I leave that in the hands of Showmasters' Legal Department.

Finally, mentioning no names, the 2 autographs I did want specifically personalising for gifts were returned signature only! Oh, the irony of it..........................

1) Queuing from 8.30am Sunday morning for James Marsters ticket and waiting all day only to be told that he wasn't signing anymore when he was up to 930 B)

2) The party was enjoyable, but I felt it was kinda dull - where where the cars??

3) The crowds - I understand that it is a public space and there were very popular guests there, just a bit grouchy (heat and lack of JM autograph were the reasons)

4) Some of the helpers were venting their anger and frustration on people trying to queue or even simply pass. I'm not saying it was all helpers, because there was a lot of really nice and helpful people there. I would probably be agitated trying to control a crowd that size in that heat.

Nb/ My fiance overheard Irvin Kirshner (Sorry if I have spelt this wrong) saying "he didn't give a s*** about these people" . Needless to say he did not get his Star Wars book signed by him.

Nb/ Craig Charles -- what a man, he was my fave. He was friendly, posed for photos. I had a family in front of me and he talked to the two little children about Harry Potter and they loved it. Yea for CC!!

Hmm.

Well, my friend and I had a wonderful time at C7, we really did. The lineup was great and all the guests were really nice and friendly.

The biggest problem we had, however, was the FIFTEEN minutes left between the watchers talk and the James Marsters one. Also, the venue was ridiculous. The theatre from last year was a great venue, everyone could see and nobody was left disappointed. Sitting up the back of that room for the watchers and james talks was absolute bulls***. I couldn't see, couldn't get pics, people kept standing up in front of me and SM just didn't give a damn.

So, next time perhaps we could get a better venue and more space in between talks so that nobody gets ANGRY like this time!

Party was great, LOTR talk was funny and good, but Easycinema could really have given us a theatre that had proper lighting! That was ridiculous. Umm what else, what else... most of the crew were great, although one of them who was working at Craig Charles I believe, was horrible to us, but I understand how stressful it must be to be working in that environment.

Perhaps a different layout next time in the hall? I like the venue, personally, but it seems veeeeery constricted in there when all these random shoppers with their prams are squeeshing you to within an inch of your life.

However, after all that, we had a great time.

And I met craig charles! Weeeeeeee!