BUZZ ALDRIN - how much will he be charging please?

emmah

As authentic as the cast signed West Wing photos I saw for $9.95 I would imagine.

Considering people will pay £20 for a no mark one role actor, and £15 for someone who had one speaking line. £100 for this man is nothing.

Its not just the autograph, its the chance to meet one of the THREE people to land on the moon. That is amazing.

£100 +?

That's crazy for one signature. Does it all go to him or what? Thats £1000 every 10-15 minutes.

And no way is it like meeting columbus. + Everyone remembers armstrong more so for the moon. £100? Shocked. Ive seen some not selling on ebay for 30 bucks.

Whilst Neil Armstrong was the first to set foot on the moon, Buzz Aldrin today is certainly as synonomous with the moon landing. This is probably down to the fact that Neil Armstrong has tended to shun publicity and speaking engagements, where as Buzz has been much more prominent. As a note to another poster who mentioned Buzz Lightyear (where do you think they got his name from !?)

Chrsitopher Columbus was only an example, but there are many similarities as the early astronauts are very much explorers of the unknown and particularly the moon walkers. He is part of the first mission ever to land on another body within our system which surely has comparisons, and in many ways considering the distance, some 250,000 miles as if not more impressive in terms of discovery.

The signatures that you refer to on ebay are probably pre-prints (copies of orginials), or there may well be some out right fakes.

He has been on a book tour recently, so signed copies of his book may well be genuine, but the prices of these are normally dictated at the signings by the publisher.

eBay is full of fake Astronaut autographs, not to mention the fact that Autopens are routinely sold as authentic hand signed originals. The forgeries can be very hard or very easy to spot - a very tricky business.

Identifying Autopens is relatively easy (and certainly a lot easier than identifying some forgeries). My web site has the most comprehensive guide to Astronaut and Cosmonaut Autopens available anywhere. I will also be producing a downloadable PDF Autopen guide that you can print off and use as a source of reference at shows etc. But in the mean time you can see the web version here:

Astronaut Autopen Guide

• Moderators

Hello everyone

Clearly the price that Buzz will be charging is open to much more debate.

So as a dealer in autographs since 1988 here are a few facts you should be aware of.

Buzz currently charges $250 for a straight signature through the mail. That,s £138 in english money.

It is possible to get a signed book cheaper than that but not a signed photo unless you attend a show either here at Autographica or in New York. These are the only two shows Buzz will appear at. Regarding buying one on the internet for $30 this just will not happen for a genuine signature. You just cannot but a Buzz Aldrin for less than he charges you to sign it. And anyway if you buy one on the internet you will not get to meet the man. For those of you who do not wish to pay that much or are simply not interested in astronauts we will have a stunning lineup of other guests for you at much more affordable prices.

Check out sundays guest announcement for a taste of things to come.

Dave Phillips

• Moderators

O.K Hands up that kind of made me look like a bit of an idiot didn't it !!!!

I guess i should have checked our own website before opening my mouth.

However these are being sold by collectspace who are going to host the Buzz Aldrin signing and are poscard size not 10 x 8s. Collectspace have worked with Buzz for a long time now and get a better rate than the public they can afford to offer these photos cheaper. But i stand corrected.

My opinion is still that if you are interested in space at all meet the man pay the money and go away a happy bunny (if not slightly less well off than when you arrived). That's what it is all about people.

Eyes peeled for our guest announcement at 7.30 pm today.

Dave Phillips

My opinion is still that if you are interested in space at all meet the man pay the money and go away a happy bunny (if not slightly less well off than when you arrived). That's what it is all about people.

Dave Phillips

Talking of meeting the man, can I suggest that there is the opportunity for a photo next to him as well, as per Valentina Tereshkova at Coventry last year. If we are paying the extra, it would be an even better experience to be able to go away with a photo as a memory.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Well at least its not going to be a rediculous price to pay. i'd pay up to around £100 ish. So if hes £80 then yer £90 yer ok and £100 is my most. Hopefully though Dave will have negotiated prices with Dr Aldrin before the show and will post it on the forum and possibly the website.

Cheers

Buzz signed photos are worth $250 only because of his excessive charging - the sellers have to cover their costs. As cool a guest as Aldrin is, that is just way too much money. He charges are $250 per signature + $50 per word added, so for example "To Bob, All the best, Buzz Aldrin" would cost you $500!!!!!!! so I hope he is at least half as cheap at autographica. He recently did a booksigning in USA where the book was only $15 and he signed it for free.

I too would be more than happy to pay up to £100 for this chance in a lifetime opportunity to meet a major piece of living history.

However, for that amount of money I would very much hope to have the chance of a posed photograph with him and would also request tht we are given an online preview of the 10" x 8" photographs that are going to be available for signing at the event.

Please Dave...what are the chances?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From reading the forums on collectspace.com, it seems he's reduced his fee, which is put down by members to him trying to reach out beyond the space fanboy fraternity, to the youth market.

It seems that even Armstrong has been known to do the odd book signing..

I'm definitely getting at least one auto. whether it's for me or a nephew, I'm not sure. Maybe we'll share it.. (he's 9mths)