A newbies guide to crewing

Muffin

Hiya Guys,

I have been reading on all the crewing threads some of the things you have mentioned about crewing some good and some erm.... well not so good (sacrifices :D ) C7 will be my first crewing experience if I get an email back saying that I can crew. I have been grilling everybody for information but would just love to know a little about what to expect.... a newbies gudie to crewing you might say :P

I am to tell you the truth a little nervous about it.... but hopefully if I know a little more what to expect I might not be so nervous :D:D (not sure if its possible but hey!)

Thanks

Muffin

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Moderators

Well I'd say the most important thing to take into consideration is that you will NOT be able to get closer to the guests and spend more time with them just because you are crew. If anything it will keep you further away from them and so if ANYONE is considering crewing because they think they'll have a chance to work with all their favourite guests and sit with them all day long - NOT TRUE!

Of course, you might be lucky enough to sit with a guest, although it could be one that you've never heard of! It's a risk we all take, and we never know what we're going to do until the day.

Don't be nervous. Everyone is really nice and friendly and supportive - if you're unsure of something, just ask anyone else on the crew and they'll either help you themselves or point you in the right direction of someone that will be able to.

I assume we'll all be getting crew booklets as usual, so that'll help you with the main information. Anything else you're unsure of after reading that, just ask on here and I'm sure someone will explain it!

A few different jobs include:

(1) Giving out tickets for queues, updating numbers on the board on your queue etc.

(2) Taking money for autographs on the picture desk, and filling in a money sheet.

(3) Sitting with a guest and taking autograph slips. (Could be combined with 2 if there's no autograph desk)

(4) Runner, doing general jobs, fetching things for people, doing whiteboards etc.

(5) Pusher on a queue, helping people with their cameras, taking pics etc.

(6) Info desk, answering peoples questions etc.

That's about all I can think of off the top of my head, so it gives you a general idea of what you MIGHT face.

The most important thing tho ... ENJOY IT! You can be nervous, but don't be scared, it's a throughly worthwhile experience and you'll have to work really hard but it's rewarding and enjoyable.

You could be starting at before 8am, and you could be finishing past 6pm, so it's a long day if you work all day! Especially if you're going to go out partying and having fun til the early morning like most of us do! BUT hey, you can sleep when you get home :D

Make sure you get SOME sleep, even if it's just an hour like I usually get. Make sure you EAT and DRINK properly throughout the day ... trolley dollys WILL be around with sandwiches, crisps, drink etc and there'll be a crew room too so make sure you grab something before you start. Breaks aren't guaranteed so if you get offered one, take one! Make sure you go to the toilet when you can! Other than that, you're sorted I think lol

It is fun, honest .. :D

Edited by DavidB

Hi Newbies!

Crewing is possibly one of the greatest highs you can legally experiance, but it is extremely hard work. David has given a good overview, but here are some other points to bear in mind;

Eat. Breakfast could very well be the biggest meal of the day, so eat loads of sensible foods. Apples wake you up, bananas give you energy.

Make friends with other crew. If you are staying at a hotel, find the other crew and chat to them. At the Express, there tends to be a crowd up late at the bar. The crew is an incredible team, and we all bond really well! You never know when you might need some help at the show.

Don't go all fangirl/fanboy. Don't get starstruck, guests respond much better if you treat them as real people. You will also have some real responsibilities at the show so you must keep a sense of perspective.

If you are not sure, ask! You pit bosses are really nice and will help you out with any problems.

If you are managing a queue, speak to the fans! They like the same stuff as you.

Dealers are nice people. As are the taxi drivers, bar staff of Milton Keynes, security guys, agents, shopping centre staff and the people at the hotel. They are part of the extended crew and are also having a great time.

Be aware of safety and security. There can be several thousand people moving through the hall at any one time. Keep chairs/tables tidy and make sure that trip/slip hazards are sorted.

Make any other crew you are near aware that you are a newbie. They will help look after you.

Look after your crew shirt and crew pass. Possibly consider an undershirt to soak up any sweat :lol: as you may be wearing the shirt for a few days.

One for the lads - Old Spice high endurance body spray.

One for the ladys - Don't spend all day fancing DavidB, I am also single!

Once you know what you will be doing at the morning briefing, grab some water. Do not drink it all at once, but take sips when you are parched.

This is down to personal preferance/metabolism, but have very little food at lunchtime, just enough to remind your stomach what food is. Gorge yourself at brekkie and in the evening.

Don't spend all night drinking, you are in a customer facing job the next day.

Make sure that you get a good night sleep the night before you start.

Expect to feel like **** in the days after you have been crewing.

Being part of th SM crew for an event is amazing, but it will be extremly hard work. You will be pushed mentally and physcly. Part of the this pushing will come from the public and the pit bosses but part will come from the event itself. You will have pure adrenaline running in your veins. Do not let it go to your head, and always always always ask if you are not sure.

David, have I missed anything? :D

Paul

Dont hurt yoursefl before the big day (weekend) will you :P !

I'll try not to :D *bounces some more*

Thanks Waterboy :lol: I think I shall be bringing plenty of food and drink with me for the mornings then ;)

• Moderators
David, have I missed anything?

Well that's a good question to ask Paul! Let's do a little analysis of your overview.

Crewing is possibly one of the greatest highs you can legally experiance, but it is extremely hard work. David has given a good overview, but here are some other points to bear in mind;

A GOOD overview? My overview ROCKED thank you very much. Do not fear over-praising me .. carry on! ;) I'm just kidding ...

Eat. Breakfast could very well be the biggest meal of the day, so eat loads of sensible foods. Apples wake you up, bananas give you energy.

I've never had breakfast at an event SO it *is* possible to survive without it. If you go to bed as late as some of us do then it's even possible to have breakfast BEFORE you go to bed, therefore saving time when you wake up! It's easy enough just to grab a small something from the crew room once you get there anyway - although that's just snack stuff. Depends if you're usually a breakfasty person, I'm not!

Make friends with other crew. If you are staying at a hotel, find the other crew and chat to them. At the Express, there tends to be a crowd up late at the bar. The crew is an incredible team, and we all bond really well! You never know when you might need some help at the show.

If you're new, make sure you introduce yourself to people when ya get there ... it's nice to do that so that you know a few people when you're walking round. Try and go to the social events - bowling in Xscape on Friday, Stadium party on Saturday, and by the time it's the crew party on Sunday u'll know everyone! And yes, this applies to you as well Paul. EVERYONE BE SOCIABLE DAMNIT. Or I'll cry.

Don't go all fangirl/fanboy. Don't get starstruck, guests respond much better if you treat them as real people. You will also have some real responsibilities at the show so you must keep a sense of perspective.

I think this is the key to being crew. I'd say most of us *are* "fans" as such, but I'd like to think we're not the kind that stand there n scream at people we like ... (remembers standing outside BAFTAs this year) ... erm ok scrap that ;) .. nah seriously, you CAN get closer to the guests if you have the time, they're always very approachable and happy to talk to crew but it's always a more relaxed atmosphere like talking to a mate or something! I've always got pictures with the guests on my breaks if they're not too busy and it's always nice to be a part of it.

If you are not sure, ask! Your pit bosses are really nice and will help you out with any problems.

And of course, not just the pit bosses! All of us! There are plenty of people with experience like Paul and I and LOADS of others who are more than happy to answer questions and help. The best thing about the crew is that it's made up of friendly experienced people who know what they're doing and won't exclude the newbies ... we'll take you and make you as good as we are ;) ;)

If you are managing a queue, speak to the fans! They like the same stuff as you.

Definitely! It's always fun seeing the same fans at the shows, you get to build up friendships that way as well. There's no harm in commenting on personal items that people have, saying it's nice or something, or just talking about the guest or whatever. Anything like that adds to the experience. I can go to other shows and meet people and they'll be like "oh yeah I met you when you worked at ..." so people *do* remember the GOOD experiences they have with crew (as well as the few bad ones!!).

Dealers are nice people. As are the taxi drivers, bar staff of Milton Keynes, security guys, agents, shopping centre staff and the people at the hotel. They are part of the extended crew and are also having a great time.

Be nice to everyone. You never know when it could come in handy lol you'll always see the same dealers around, not just at these shows but others too if you go there, so get talking to them! Everyone has to work really hard over the weekend so they are no doubt as knackered as you are!

Be aware of safety and security. There can be several thousand people moving through the hall at any one time. Keep chairs/tables tidy and make sure that trip/slip hazards are sorted.

I think this is one of the hazards of being in a shopping centre ... limited space, and far too many people! The buzz is amazing, but crowd control can be a bitch at the best of times! All you can do is try to keep things clear, and politely ask people to move on so there is room for the "customers" to get through. Watch out for children, pushchairs, wheelchairs etc and help whenever possible.

Make any other crew you are near aware that you are a newbie. They will help look after you.

Look after you ... and brainwash you ... :lol:

Look after your crew shirt and crew pass. Possibly consider an undershirt to soak up any sweat as you may be wearing the shirt for a few days.

One for the lads - Old Spice high endurance body spray.

One for the ladys - Don't spend all day fancing DavidB, I am also single!

PAUL! silly man. Don't put the ladies off me when there aren't any that DO fancy me ... u're ruining it before it's even started damnit! I'm just friendly that's all :P

Once you know what you will be doing at the morning briefing, grab some water. Do not drink it all at once, but take sips when you are parched.

Yeah, don't do what I do ... which is drink it all in like 5 seconds and then need the loo all day. I will learn one day.

This is down to personal preferance/metabolism, but have very little food at lunchtime, just enough to remind your stomach what food is. Gorge yourself at brekkie and in the evening.

Don't spend all night drinking, you are in a customer facing job the next day.

And I wonder how many people will actually listen to this one ... :lol:

Make sure that you get a good night sleep the night before you start.

NOT ESSENTIAL. I have found there to be some sort of "anti-sleep" curse on Milton Keynes, and whenever I go there I seem to get very little sleep indeed. Maybe that's just me tho.

Expect to feel like **** in the days after you have been crewing.

Yeah ... emotionally, physically ... no one will understand but us! Feel free to sulk!

And a final point. If you wish to go round looking like a zombie all day every day, then feel free to listen to every word I've said. It's actually fun. Especially to see that everyone else looks as crap as you do when you get to the centre in the morning! Of course I only suffer from lack of sleep cuz I don't drink, so I get refreshed pretty quickly ... then I have the ability to laugh at everyone who is working on a hangover :lol:

A further point to add on to what Waterboy said, it is physically and mentally challenging. Anyone seen thoses Royal Marine TV ad's 99.99%need not apply.. basically they only want the SM crew, coz nothing could be harder, and yet nothing i have experienced gives you a real hype...

Alex

you know... i wanted to come on here and write soemthing really insightful.. or at least useful.. but ya know??

the only thing i can tell you is to enjoy it. there is nothing to be worried about because all the crew are well looked after. both by each other and by the pit bosses. they make sure you are fed and watered and that you are happy. if your not they'll sort you out. its just a great big, mostly tired, family. and im sure you'll love it.

=x=

3 essential ingrediants to crew well!!

EAT!!!!!!!

DRINK!!!!!!!

PARTY HARD!!!!!!

(not too hard so ur still drunk in the morning)

:wub:

Davey ^_^