Welcome To the Crewing Area

showmasters

so ok, this may be a stupid question but im new to the hole convention thing so bear with me :headscratch:

what does crewing entail? lol

do you get to spend any extra time with any of the attendees? like for example can i request to be assigned to Elvira? what... i dont know how it works do i :D

Darren

do you get to spend any extra time with any of the attendees? like for example can i request to be assigned to Elvira? what... i dont know how it works do i :D

Darren

To be honest crewing can mean the opposite...... you can't request who you want to be put with - you are told your duties on the morning of the show or the afternoon if you're down to work the afternoon.

As to seeing the show itself - you're better off requesting a half day off crewing or only volunteer to work a couple of the days as being a crew member can mean you're stuck in the same spot all weekend without being able to wander round getting autographs/meeting actors etc.

Its hard but rewarding :D

crewing is an amzing experience.... but you dont get any closer to the guests. its fun but very hard work and you cant request where you want to be. obviously if you are unable to stand up all day SM will try and accomodate you by giving you a sitting job but other than that.... its pretty much turn up on the day and see what you have.

=x=

hi i'm new to whole crewing experience and just wondered what happens with sharing rooms. Can i ask to be in the same room as specific persons?

um... we have done in the past but im not so sure about this time. its different people organising it.

sorry... that wasnt very helpful was it?

=x=

• 2 weeks later...
I shouldn't think it would be a problem.

I mean i refuse to share a room with anyone other than my partner anyway. Its just not the done thing when you're in a relationship lol

teehee! i see where you are coming from.

i think stuart has tried to put people in rooms with those they requested. if you didnt specify then its just random im afraid.

=x=

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

IS IT TOO LATE TO APPLY FOR THE CREW?

Hello All,

I just secured a flight back to London May 28th and have always wanted to get involved with the London Film & Comic Con. Currently, I work in film & television, but have my roots & training in illustration and animation media arts. I was hoping to make it back in time from living in France to be a part of the production crew. (I have been in France for 2 months in order to prepare/ attend the Cannes Film Festival & Monaco GP.)

Back in the US, I've attended / been a part of several Wizard Comic Cons & various Gaming / Animation / Film / TV conventions through the years. After I attend the Broadcast Production Show ending June 3rd, my schedule is open and hoping to work on any pre-production for the London Film & Comic Con.

I understand it may be too late for any openings, but should I still try to contact crew@showmastersonline.com? I only have a copy of my resume' on me, but can produce a CV if needed, or even arrange a phone/online interview. Professional references can be provided as well as my full name for a 'google' search on my work/educational history.

My work experience includes production, operations, and well as technical positions in film & television, including: Saturday Night Live, NBC Winter Olympics, NBC Summer Olympics, several Winter, Summer & Global X Games, F1 Racing, NASCAR, World Cup Soccer, etc..

If any of you have any advice on how to get involved or tips to apply, PLEASE drop me a reply or email.

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! THANK! I hope someone reads this post.

Sincerely,

TSR

+33 06 16 69 9100

cracinez22@expn.com

Thank you, THANK YOU!! Do you know if there is an official application form / site, or is it just an email inquirey?

It's just all done via email.

They ask you what days you can work and then depending on the number of responses they have they will let you know if they need you or not.

There is no official application form as such.

Crewing can involve - queue control, guest assistant, virtual queue ticket giver, photo taker, runner, whiteboards, cash.

Crew can be rotated each day so everybody pretty much has a go at everything. Hope that helps.

It's just all done via email.

They ask you what days you can work and then depending on the number of responses they have they will let you know if they need you or not.

Is there a list of dates that we can say when we're available for? ie. setup, convention time, breakdown, etc.? or is it just the specific days of the convention?

Is there a list of dates that we can say when we're available for? ie. setup, convention time, breakdown, etc.? or is it just the specific days of the convention?

You just need to email them to say that you're interested, after that they'll send you an application form by email nearer the date asking for your name, contact info, days you can crew, etc. At the moment all they need is your email address...

Weehooo! Thanks for the information. I sent out a brief email, so hopefully I'll get some sort of response back. Is there usually a waiting list for which crew people will get to be confirmed?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I keep thinking to just write them here as I think of them, just in case there are members like you online at the moment that might notice my postings.

Weehooo! Thanks for the information. I sent out a brief email, so hopefully I'll get some sort of response back. Is there usually a waiting list for which crew people will get to be confirmed?

I don't think there's a waiting list, and they do give priority if you don't need a hotel room paid for by Showmasters. Overall I guess they maybe favour people who have previously crewed a little, but they're usually good and try and please as many people as they can... the exact crew selection methods are highly secret and take 7 years of intensive training to become an apprentice in :angry:.

... the exact crew selection methods are highly secret and take 7 years of intensive training to become an apprentice in :angry:.

Hahahaaaa!! Now, as a newbie to getting on the crew for this event, I'm reading this at close to 2 am, falling for that! Oops, unless it really was 7 years...

Well, I didn't mention to them my housing situation, but it would be nice to be in a hotel room closeby--shared or not. I'd be commuting from maybe Oval area, so not that bad at all. The hours wouldn't be that early that it wouldn't be accessible via tube right?

There have been times where on a crew, we had to be right at the convention center since we had early crew calls/late strikes and/or on call. In any case, if/when I get the opportunity, I'll find out. :)

Well, I didn't mention to them my housing situation, but it would be nice to be in a hotel room closeby--shared or not. I'd be commuting from maybe Oval area, so not that bad at all. The hours wouldn't be that early that it wouldn't be accessible via tube right?

There have been times where on a crew, we had to be right at the convention center since we had early crew calls/late strikes and/or on call. In any case, if/when I get the opportunity, I'll find out. :)

Personally, I'd always get a hotel room in Milton Keynes, it's about an hour train journey from London and Friday and Saturday the crew briefing starts at 7.45 am so you'd have to leave very early. Also, the last train is usually about 12.30 am so if you wanted to come to the CM party or crew party you'd be stuck. Remember also that crew days are VERY tiring, and so you may want to go back to a hotel room and have a shower/change clothes rather than having a really long train journey.

Hotel rooms are about £40/night if you book them in advance, and if you share the room means it works out as £40 for the whole weekend which probably isn't much more than train fares. If you ask SM to book you a room you will be sharing, probably with 2 other people, however, don't rely on SM for a room: as the events become more popular more people want to crew and so getting SM hotel rooms are harder.

Personally, I'd always get a hotel room in Milton Keynes, it's about an hour train journey from London and Friday and Saturday the crew briefing starts at 7.45 am so you'd have to leave very early. Also, the last train is usually about 12.30 am so if you wanted to come to the CM party or crew party you'd be stuck. Remember also that crew days are VERY tiring, and so you may want to go back to a hotel room and have a shower/change clothes rather than having a really long train journey.

Hotel rooms are about £40/night if you book them in advance, and if you share the room means it works out as £40 for the whole weekend which probably isn't much more than train fares. If you ask SM to book you a room you will be sharing, probably with 2 other people, however, don't rely on SM for a room: as the events become more popular more people want to crew and so getting SM hotel rooms are harder.

Is it very competitive to get a crew position that has some travel allowance or stipend given, as opposed to just being a volunteer? I basically blew away alot of my savings rerouting my flights from France to London to US to Canada during peak season, so it would be nice to get some stipend for work, or at least something to cover my train.

Though, come on now, it's THE LONDON FILM & COMIC CON.. (I shall have my memories as I pay off my bills.)

Is the Milton Keynes area more affordable for hotels?

What's the average age for crew members? I saw a lot of young posters on the forum. Hahahaa, I'm old!! I can't believe I've been going to conventions for almost 2 decades!!

Is it very competitive to get a crew position that has some travel allowance or stipend given, as opposed to just being a volunteer? I basically blew away alot of my savings rerouting my flights from France to London to US to Canada during peak season, so it would be nice to get some stipend for work, or at least something to cover my train.

You do get a very small gratuity. The amount depends on what you work.

Is the Milton Keynes area more affordable for hotels?

I think so - as it's not in London, you're not paying London prices.

What's the average age for crew members? I saw a lot of young posters on the forum. Hahahaa, I'm old!!  I can't believe I've been going to conventions for almost 2 decades!!

Hard to say - alot are in their late teens/early twenties and then there are alot of us much much older than that :P I even know some people in their late 30's and 40'd that crew!

Is it very competitive to get a crew position that has some travel allowance or stipend given, as opposed to just being a volunteer? 

Well I don't know about competitive exactly but I think they said they had almost double the amount of volunteers they needed last time for Collectormania.

And there is a daily gratuity but it's not much - no one could be accused of doing it for the money *g*. Most people just use this money for travel expenses and hotel rooms.