Welcome To the Crewing Area

showmasters

Hi everyone

I'm really interested in volunteering to crew for some some of the shows that get put on but I have a few questions.

I think it will be awesome to be part of running the shows i really enjoy going to the shows as well and i'm worried about maybe missing the whole thing if i get picked to crew. When i volunteer can i say something like i am available to work the whole weekend but could i get a few hours/half a day off crewing at some point over the weekend to get autographs and look around the show etc?

Also i see that to volunteer i just email Showmasters but what sort of information do you actually need? I have a CV but most of my experience isn't really relevant to big events like these. I worked in a supermarket and now i'm a secretary :D I just think it would be great to be a part of it all and want to give it a go :D

Thanks

Kate

xox

You can work just one day. Or work one and half days you get the option of having the morning off or the afternoon. As for a CV its not needed. You just need to email them and when a show comes up they will email you asking for info such as Days you want to work. Its really good fun :D

Hopefully i answered some of your questions right.

• Moderators

Relevant work experience isn't really necessary. A lot of people get given a go that haven't had that sort of experience, so many learn as they go along. No doubt supermarket work would be customer service based and a lot of this is too, so while not directly linked, a lot of jobs do have the same skillsets if you think about it.

Regarding 'seeing' the event and getting autographs/photos, obviously it depends on how many you actually want. If it's more than say 1 or 2 then a half day off is suggested, or even a full day. But if it's just 1 or 2 then they'll try their best to cover you and let you go off and get them at some point. Just don't expect to be disappearing too often!

Once you email, you get added to the database, and you'll receive the crew email before an event which you then fill in (all is explained) and that's all the information they need. This is for the 'signing events' (Collectormanias, LFACC etc) rather than 'conventions' (Twilight, Eclipse etc) as the latter have a far more limited crew.

Thanks DavidB and mojoe! Thats exactly what i wanted to know :YAHOO:

I'll get my email sent off and hopefully i'll get a chance to crew! :YAHOO: It sounds like you guys have an ace time when you get to do it!

Kate

xox

• Showmasters Admin

No it's terrible and the guy that runs the crew is a real git!!!

PS: All the info given by Mojoe and DB is correct. We try and give new people a chance. At a big show we try and have around 5 or 6 new crew. Most people don't have experience of this type of event. And some times as we tend to run our events differently to others it's actually better if people come in as a blank canvas as it were.

I started 5 years ago and had done nothing like it before. And just under 2 years ago some mad bugger put me in charge of the crew :D

• 1 month later...

Hello, Got a Few questions about Crewing a Signing convention

1) Now i know CM is a free convention to get into the building, but LFCC you have to pay to go in - If your Crewing that Day, Do you have to pay to get into the convention or not as need to know if i need a ticket or not as im hoping to try out crewing at these events this year.

2) if you have been selected to crew an event and you have already bought a photo ticket, will you be allowed to join the queue to get the photo while someone covers you or will you loss the money, just wanted to ask as i really want to crew both days at the convention as i don't really need any more autographs, but if i can crew both days rather then having to take all day off just to wait around to have a photo taken with the guest would be really nice.

Hope someone can answer my questions, thanks !!

• Moderators

If you're crewing, you won't need to pay to get in that day.

And they try to be as reasonable as possible if a crew member wants to get 1 or 2 photos/autos during a day, and will arrange cover wherever they can. Obviously more than that then they'd suggest a half day off, but a photo should be fine.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Literally just a couple of lines of why you're interested in it, and any relevant experience.

That's really all. Definitely nothing worth fussing over :blink:

Edited by DavidB

Hey, my names Natalie!

I'm only 15 at the moment, i'm 16 at the end of the year, and am hoping to volunteer next year :crying:

The only thing i would like to know is that from reading this it seems like you can't crew a convention, such as The Hub, is this right?

cos i would be quite interested in doing something like that.

Literally just a couple of lines of why you're interested in it, and any relevant experience.

That's really all. Definitely nothing worth fussing over :thumbup:

Thanks I always get in such a flap over stupid stuff

email sent now

Edited by Galaxy-Song

Hi everybody, I'm Catherine (though most folks call me Ku) and I signed up for crewing a little while ago, and have been asked to crew the Midlands coming up next week. Just thought I'd stop by and say hi, and ask you all to be nice to me :) I'm twenty, and I'm a film studies student at Kings in London, just so y'all know.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey all

I have a quick question. I'm applying to crew at Collectormania 15 but i would also like to go to a couple of photoshoots. Should i still book my ticket on the online store for the shoots?

Kate

xox

What's your defintion of "a couple"? :o

If you want to do one or maybe two photo shoots a day it usually can be arranged that you run off your assigned job for a short time.

Its just two i would like. I just don't want to miss them thats all. I've never crewed at an event where guests i want to meet are at before so i'm not really sure how it works.

Kate

xox

Its just two i would like. I just don't want to miss them thats all. I've never crewed at an event where guests i want to meet are at before so i'm not really sure how it works.

Kate

xox

With two you should be okay. As KrazyKid has said, your pit boss (the crew lead for the area you'd be working in) will normally ask in the morning if someone has photo shoots or wants autographs. Just let him/her know then.