Welcome To the Crewing Area

showmasters

rainbow-tardis, just so you know, the deadline for applying to crew LFCC has passed now. Invitations to apply to crew an event are usually sent out a couple of months before the event is due to take place. You mentioned specifically EMS so the e-mail for that one will probably go out early August.

Too Tall usually posts on here when they've gone out.

Just out of interest, are you on Facebook? If you are, there's a group for Showmasters Crew that you might want to join.

Ah I see :) That's a shame as LFCC would have been awesome to do, I guess the demand is very high! I'll definitely keep an eye out for EMS, had a great time attending it last year, will love to crew it! :)

Ooh yes I am, have joined the group :)

Edited by rainbow_tardis

• 1 month later...

Stuart wrote this on the Showmasters crew facebook page

Glasgow update and warning....

Firstly as you will know the deadline for applications is this coming Sunday (1st July).

Secondly as usual we will only require about 36 crew for Glasgow. Although so far we have received about twice this number of application emails (70+).

So the warning is, please expect a "No", then you'll be happy when it's a "Yes".

I hope to get the confirmations out as soon as we can, but it's very possible it'll be after LFCC.

You will also need to confirm back to say you can still work the hours applied for when you receive your crewing email

Edited by Rhianydd

• 3 weeks later...

Firstly as you will know the deadline for applications is this coming Sunday (1st July).

Secondly as usual we will only require about 36 crew for Glasgow. Although so far we have received about twice this number of application emails (70+).

So the warning is, please expect a "No", then you'll be happy when it's a "Yes".

I hope to get the confirmations out as soon as we can, but it's very possible it'll be after LFCC.

You will also need to confirm back to say you can still work the hours applied for when you receive your crewing email

Hey luckily I am getting to crew:) Will there be Tshirts for Glasgow crew this time or will be best to bring my one from London last year?

Hey luckily I am getting to crew:) Will there be Tshirts for Glasgow crew this time or will be best to bring my one from London last year?

There are no guarantees. I'd say bring your one from London last year just in case.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey guys, I'm looking at getting my application for EMS sent off today. However I wanted a bit of advice about crewing. I'm not sure about doing full days as it's a long time, and I suffer from ME, but then if you don't do a full day accommodation is not provided. I was thinking about half day Sat to get used to it then a full day on Sunday. I've crewed gigs and festivals before, so I do have experience. I was just wondering what people with experience of cons recommend?

• Moderators

Full days can be very tiring, even without the help of ME - most jobs require at least some level of concentration all day and some obviously involve standing for a long time. 'Sitting down jobs' are, in general, much less exhausting (obviously).

I do think Sunday is probably the better day to choose as a full day - it's generally a little quieter on the Sunday, and getting going Sunday morning is hard sometimes when you're shattered from a full Saturday!

Do be sure to mention in your application if you don't feel you would be able to stand for a full day - TooTall is usually very good at allocating jobs so anyone that needs to sit down can do so.

Thanks for the advice, I've just sent off my application. Hopefully Stuart can take it in to account. I don't normally mention the ME and it doesn't normally affect me too badly, I just don't want to let anyone down or come across as lazy if I'm not having a good day.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am crewing for the first time at DSTL.

I am crewing all three days. I know that you get some time off to get autographs and/or photo shoots.

Do I need to tell them in advance who's autograph I would like or is it sorted out on the day?

I'm being paid in cash and not vouchers.

• Moderators

If you're being paid in cash then any breaks for autographs/photoshoots you just sort out on the day - make sure to tell your pit boss in the morning (most PBs come around to ask before the show opens).

• 3 weeks later...

I believe the procedure is that you wont get a reply until it is time for them to ask for crew for the next event, you will simply go on the list of those who are interested in crewing, then you will receive an email asking you to fill in a form if you are interested in crewing that particular event.

• Moderators

Is there something specific you are wishing to apply for?

Each event has its own individual email and application period, and so the events coming up shortly are generally all filled by now. Massive Events conventions are generally filled by experienced crew, while the Showmasters signing events etc are open wider.

As Janine said, you will go onto the general mailing list and then receive the next mailout whenever that may be.

• Moderators

I think I did get an email confirming I'd been added to the database - it might take longer than usual for this right now given how many shows are going on at once. If you haven't received anything in another several weeks it may be worth emailing again as sometimes the crew inbox does lose things (or never get them).

There won't be any emails going out asking for crew until next year now anyway so don't panic!