RAW RESULTS

DavidB

I have been saying this for a while, expect to see Regal in the main event. Vince seems to be liking the old school fighters like Regal and Finley. And by all accounts so do the fans, they need a big time heal in the main event and Regal could be that.

JBL is only short term, Orton needs to get back to old school Legend killing heel, HHH babyface, HBK who knows, so Regal would make a good heel too balance out card.

• Moderators

Just saw the three hour Raw and I was most disappointed. The King of the Ring was perfect for elevating someone up the ladder, but they give it to William Regal..*sigh*..Vince & Co dropped the ball on this one.

While I initially expected it to go to someone like Umaga, Kennedy or Punk, I'm not entirely against Regal getting it.

If you think about it, Regal has never had a main event push, so it's not like he's one of those high in the company that doesn't need it.

While he might be GM, it's very rare he gets to wrestle properly. And if they plan on using him in that way, then I have no issue with it.

Sure, they'll probably just waste it and not capitalise on his win, but we'll see ..

It will be interesting to see how they use him as King of the Ring. In early 2003, he suffered from a major heart ailment. It caused the lower half of his body to retain water and he gained close to 40 pounds. The doctors had to stop his heart and restart it for him to get better. I thought that the WWE would be using Regal sparingly after his health scare a while back. I read in numerous places that it is the reason he was chosen to be Raw GM as he had a brilliant on air character.

Edited by Ducky J

• 3 months later...

OK it has now become clear that the two major wrestling companies in the United States are competing to see who can p**s their fans off the most with the greatest ridiculous angle possible.

TNA was bad enough with the whole Sting and Sharmell title match situation but now WWE have gone and given that gimp Adamle the GM position on RAW. Unless this is a rib on us all then i may very well have reached satuaration point and my 19 year love affair with WWE could be coming to an end.

• Moderators

Granted, Adamle wouldn't have been my first choice ... or anyone elses lol but I guess Vince is determined to get his moneys worth out of him!

I won't get too annoyed by it yet - if they give him a character, he could be ok. I guess we'll see what direction they go in.

The only reason Adamle got hired was because of who he knows in the networks that show the WWE. His contract isn't that long and he will more than likely get very little screen time so as to minimise his screw ups live on air. It has also been hinted that McMahon may bite the bullet and buy out his contract if the Raw GM angle falls on it's backside through Adamle's screw ups. He couldn't even wait until his cue to get into the ring on Monday to reveal he was the GM, and you could see Cena telling him to go away.

Being an on-air GM character takes a lot less knowledge than being a commentator though.

Saying a few lines live may even be beyond Adamle... :YAHOO:

This has got to be the stupidest thing WWE have ever done......Adamle couldn't commentate for s**t, and now they've gone and made him GM of RAW?!?!:D:headscratch: Pure madness :wacko::wacko:

It rates up there, but there are alot of "wrestlers" hired and gimmicks used that should never have made the unscreened house shows....

Giant Gonzalez anyone?

Great Khali as World Champ?

Harvey Wippleman as Woman's Champ?

The list is nearly endless... :P

Although, I have noticed a distinct on air p*ss taking of Adamle by both wrestlers and announcers. JBL ripped into him with a great one liner on Monday Night. Maybe Vince is hoping that Adamle will quit, like we all do...

On the WWE Fan Nation section, someone has put up a petition to have Adamle fired. As of yet the WWE have left it up, so it will be fun to see if the WWE fires him (doubtful), or just increases the on air p*ss taking.

More Mike Adamle points...

1. No onein the locker room for Raw knew that Adamle was the new GM. So, the reactions were genuine, even down to Lawler and JR.

2. Brian Kendrick has been renamed The Brian Kendrick in a direct jab at Mike Adamle who used to refer to Tazz as "The Tazz" on ECW.

Edited by Jonesy

i think having the paper to read from added to andgave him character, whether that was intentional or not i dont care but i liked that AND i actually think he did a good job this week, Adamle was on form.

Santino stole the show again tho of course, he always does!

• Moderators

I didn't think it made him look like an idiot. It made him stand out a bit, and gave him something unique.

Plus they did their best to push him as a guy who wants to try different things, which is a good angle to go with.

I didn't think it made him look like an idiot. It made him stand out a bit, and gave him something unique.

Plus they did their best to push him as a guy who wants to try different things, which is a good angle to go with.

i agree with all of this

i really want Mike to succeed tho, mainly coz no one else does!

If the WWE decide to build a gimmick on his previous screw ups and it works, then good on him and them. I feel that the guy is out of his depth compared to other announcers etc, and then is saying something when you compare him to Vickie Guerrero. Jonathon Coachman was given a chance on Smackdown, but proved he couldn't cut it on a main programme and thus ended up sitting out his contract. You may not think he looks an idiot, but the way he acts on screen is, as far as I am concerned, like an idiot. As I said before, if this is to play up his screw ups in the past in order to build a gimmick, then it is working.

If the management aren't intentionally trying to embarrass him, then just listen out to some of the upper card talent ripping into him on screen.

Only time will tell. As regards unique, I think that this looks alot like what they did to Coachman when he was the Bosses lacky.

• Moderators

Coach was played as a straight up heel though. Adamle's played straight, as someone that's just trying to shake things up a bit at the moment. I see no similarities between the two.

And of course the talent were ripping into Adamle. He mentioned his mess ups himself last night. They've not made any attempt to cover them up. It's what he's known for, and why some fans actually enjoy him.

No one will ever know to what extent he's doing it on purpose, and how much is a joke on him.

Coach was played as a straight up heel though.

We have obviously been watching different WWE Raw shows as there are numerous occasions where Coachman was a complete idiot, and played up to that. He may have started as a "straight up heel", but even at the start he was made out to be a bumbling coward and fool. This was amplified towards the end of his tenure with the WWE.

I am fully aware that Adamle mentioned his screw ups last night as I watched Raw. Adamle is only known for his mistakes since he joined the WWE and became an ECW announcer. When he was hired it was as a backstage or in the crowd interviewer - something he has done before in his career prior to the WWE.

We obviously view things differently, and that's fine. I still think that Adamle is out of his depth, and unless this gimmick as a bumbling GM proves an instant big hit, Vince McMahon has proven int he past that he doesn't like to have his company; his product; made a laughing stock of unless he has planned it to be that way. Then, he doesn't care.

All I hope for the sake of actually watching the show, is that his gimmick isn't made central to the show as Vickie's is on Smackdown. I rarely watch the show when it is broadcast, but tape it and fast forward to the matches.

The viewing figures will show whether his appointment as GM is a wise one or not, especially if he is made as central to the show as on Smackdown. If he is kept off screen more than on, then the WWE won't be able to blame him when the Nielsens go down as they did this week from 3.6 last week to 3.4 this week.

Edited by Jonesy

• Moderators

The ratings breakdowns always tell far more about the product than the general rating. They'll pay attention to which segments lose viewers etc, rather than the overall picture.

However, considering the overwhelmingly negative reaction to the GM announcement after last week's Raw, a .2 drop is nothing.

After Saturday Night's Main Event, a 0.2 drop will have been noticed alot more.

It will be interesting to see the breakdown in 15 minute periods that will be out later on in the week. However, you only get a drift of someone's popularity or lack of when you see tehir segments over a period of several weeks. CM Punk had a great increase until he wrestled Batista one week. Even the match with Regal was higher!

Oh, and I know the Nielsen's work. But thanks for the ever helpful explanation.

Edited by Jonesy