Harry Potter and...

Davey

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeh only problem was she was too pretty for hermionie in it I mean she's meant to be transformed for the ball...how in the hell is that gonna happen now...also she doesn't have large front teeth either

arrrr... now that i agree with. she certainly shouldnt be that pretty. as for the ball... i dont see how there can be much difference. im expecting emma t a premiere with curly hair instead of hermione. and i have heard that her dressrobe is pink instead of the blue it is in the books.

though i do like her characterisation. perfect in my opinion.

=x=

yeh perfect characterisation!

But pink is not Hermionie's colour really it's not! I think that as important as the characters are the asthetics are important too! I mean its almost like the Weasley's not all being ginger!

yeh perfect characterisation!

But pink is not Hermionie's colour really it's not! I think that as important as the characters are the asthetics are important too! I mean its almost like the Weasley's not all being ginger!

i agree with you. hermione isnt a girlie girl.

=x=

Parvati was in pink I remember and Hermionie suits nlue so much better than she will pink! You know the robes also look like tuxedos...Ron's is brilliant...but Harry's...

yeah.. it all looks more like an american prom to me. whats magical about that? i wonder what the girls will look like?

=x=

so you'll be marching beside me to warner bros head office in protest and disgust? mmm scones except they have sultana's in them so not as nice as they could be

i certainly will!!

i'll bring banners and everything!!!

"No prom for potter! no prom for potter!"

=x=

sultanas are good.... :angry:

anyway... i'm a bit worried too about the 'dresses' being a bit too 'dress' like... but oh well, until we get to see goblet of fire i'm just gonna have to wait and see... probably will be quite funny actually, from the pictures ive seen ron practically is wearing a dress :lol:

But Ron is supposed to be wearing a dress and looking so cute too!

I totally agree wiccawise! NO PROM FOR POTTER!

i think that rons dress robe is probably going to be the only one with any resemblance to the books. harry looks like hes in tails or something.

NO PROM FOR POTTER!

=x=

He's wearing a SUIT! khndkljendrgljknzddfkjlgnbddfjkgbnkjdgbskjgbkjsadbfkjsbgjksbg, that's how annoyed I am! Thank NELSON for Ron! -huggles Ron- he's gonna to be the only thing...well beside Fred and George...that will make the film worth watching!

He's wearing a SUIT! khndkljendrgljknzddfkjlgnbddfjkgbnkjdgbskjgbkjsadbfkjsbgjksbg, that's how annoyed I am! Thank NELSON for Ron! -huggles Ron- he's gonna to be the only thing...well beside Fred and George...that will make the film worth watching!

well... i can understand your anger but im still looking forward to the film.

=x=

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've kept out of these pinned discussions cos I haven't read the books or watched the movies for a while, but now that I'm re-reading and re-watching in preparation for the new book, I thought I'd put my two-pennorth in. :angel:

I agree with what's been said earlier. As a movie on its own, if you haven't bothered reading the books, PoA is a cool movie. If you watch it after reading the book, it's absolute pants. I don't like the changes at all. Tom the Barman had a complete body transplant, the Leaky Cauldron was in a completely different street, Hagrid's Hut had been dismantled and re-assembled stone by stone in a completely different location, the Whomping Willow had suddenly re-rooted itself on the edge of a hillside, Professor Flitwick also had a complete body transplant (that really annoyed me) and as I think it said in the 15-min version posted elsewhere - there was the arrival of that bloody humungous bridge that was neither use nor ornament!!! It was too much, too quickly and it made me hate the feel of that movie.

And I agree that too many important plot points were left out - no marauders story and no patronus in the shape of a stag!!!!

I know I've repeated what was said at the beginning of this thread but I wanted to have a rant about it too :rolleyes:

So now I'm both dreading GoF and at the same time, can't wait for it...

anyhoo...

i see what you are saying but all those faults you picked out are only faults because you are comparing them to the other two movies. if hagrids hut had always been where it is in POA no one would know any different.

you have to look at POA in its own right. its the best film by far because its well made. from a filmmaking point of view. the cinamatography is amazing.

as an adaptation i can see wht people have problems with it. its not that true to the book... but again... its a film. not a book. and differences have to be accounted for.

maybe my opinion stems from studying film, i love it and appreciate what it means to make something as huge as POA. so i guess, in one way or another... im going to be biased towards the better made film rather than the better adaptation.

im still really looking forward to GOF too.

=x=

I understand your point of view, but I don't watch movies for their technical merit though, I take them at face value - I see what I see and I either like it or I don't.

You're right that I'm comparing PoA to the other films and maybe if all the movies had had the same locations all the way through, I wouldn't have minded. That was my point though, I'm a big fan of continuity ;) and I do mind that Cuaron changed all the locations and sets and characters and, to my mind, made them really miserable. Sometimes I feel that this is going to be the "Empire Strikes Back" of the HP series - the one that's totally different to the others, and much darker, and in years to come, first-timers will watch an HP marathon and go, "Yeah, they were great - but what the hell happened to POA?!?" :P

That aside, comparing the book to the film is a completely different discussion - a point that your post made much better than mine (which rambled, as usual)! I'm afraid we'll have to agree to disagree - I would go for a better adaptation over a better made movie anytime, if only cos I wouldn't be able to tell a well-made movie from a bog-standard one if it bit me :lol: If the story gets me, then it's a good movie as far as I'm concerned! camera angles and cinematography don't mean much to me :P

Ooh, I eat my words too, cos apparently the stag does appear! I must've been in the kitchen then, cos I didn't see it during the time-turner bit when Harry was being his dad!!!

Anyhoo...

awww.. its great to participate in a reasonable debate without people refering to petty name calling. that happens way to much.

so yeah... agree to disagree.

i can see your point from a continuity point of view but in my opinion what alfonso did with the locations and stuff was much better than what chris did and i am ready to give a little bit of artistic licence to allow for it.

personally i think the next movie is going to be even more extreme than POA. if the first two movies were left of the lline and POA was in the middle then i think GOF will be far to the right. if that makes any sense.

i hope you will like it though. i am really looking forward to it.

=x=

personally i think the next movie is going to be even more extreme than POA. if the first two movies were left of the lline and POA was in the middle then i think GOF will be far to the right. if that makes any sense.

=x=

I have to say I hope you're not right :P I wouldn't mind a return to the softer, more fantasy-style stuff of the first two movies, since PoA was too gritty (I felt). Having said that, I realise that to stick to my preference of a better adaptation over a better movie, since the books are becoming grittier it stands to reason the movies will too *sigh*. I'm just a big softie :D

I'm sure I will like GoF, very much. I don't dislike PoA as such, I'm just more comfortable with the style of the first two films. In a strange sense, PoA is my fave so far, not in terms of style, but simply because I prefer the kids getting older. That's not as dodgy as it sounds, BTW - I prefer the later books too. I got a lot more out of OotP than PS simply because I can relate to the characters better now they're getting older. Which probably means that I will prefer each movie as it comes out simply cos the characters will be older. Does that make sense?

Also, I really hope that no matter what other locations they change, Diagon Alley stays the same (although we don't know yet if we see it again) and the inside of the shops stay the same!!! Maybe the reason I preferred the first two movies is because they seemed much more olde worlde than PoA, and I love olde worlde sets! :P

Anyhoo, hope I haven't rambled again. Thans for discussing this with me :P

=x=

I'm sure I will like GoF, very much. I don't dislike PoA as such, I'm just more comfortable with the style of the first two films. In a strange sense, PoA is my fave so far, not in terms of style, but simply because I prefer the kids getting older. That's not as dodgy as it sounds, BTW - I prefer the later books too. I got a lot more out of OotP than PS simply because I can relate to the characters better now they're getting older. Which probably means that I will prefer each movie as it comes out simply cos the characters will be older. Does that make sense?

that makes a lot of sense.

one of my favourite things about POA is the relationship between the trio. they are so much older but also for the first time they are 'real' friends. i know that their friendship will naturally mature in the films as it does in the books but somehow... in POA it was touching. i really believed that these kids would die for each other.

hopefully the friendship thing will carry on into GOF. i have seen a few clips that show Ron and Harry falling out. and i am soo pleased to see that its in there. out of all the little things i feared they would cut out, that was what i feared the most! but its there! yay! as is the tension between Ron and Hermione over the Krum business!

i cant wait to see it.

its been great discussing this with you too.

=x=