Could we possibly have some football guests?

Calumn

you need to try a certain event in B'Ham mate :wub:

surfy sah xx :lol:

ps-and yeah we have had topics on guests outside of tv/films etc before and tbh I don't have a problem with wider range of guests/greater diversity just have concerns that once you get e.g. footballers then you start having loadsa sports stars n randoms and there's an event that already does that...

I know I might be accused of contradicting myself here but I really don't mind - at the end of the day it's less guests to meet and it would save me some money :lol:

however, past events in B'Ham have had ALOT of sports stars and not many film/film stars... a few is cool! but loads nah and why when another event already does that? :lol:

please don't be mean to me people?!?! :lol:

didn't even realise he was supposed to be on it.

actually that gives me a bigger reason to think he wouldn't.

i think he's too big and too recent. nearly everyone's heard of him. chances are the signing fee required could be utterly unfeasible for him. and if he's not happy bout bein dropped from a crap tv program (in my view anyway) then he might well see it as lowering himself to do a con. sittin signin pictures all day? a world famous footballer? i really don't see it. might happen though.

I think it should be kept as it is let a certain show in Birmingham deal with that kinda thing. Bringin in footballers takes away what these conventions are all about.

Don't get me wrong I started collecting autographs from the World Cup Squad of 66 as I have a programme that is in mint condition and I got them to sign it (which is almost complete just need a few more and the obvious ones that are dead which I can't get to sign). So if it wasn't for that programme comming my way I wouldn't of started collecting autographs. I had a interest in Star Wars (massive collection of memorbila) and this was just the next step.

But I say no to footballers and ex-footballers let them do that kinda thing in Birmingham

If they have been in a film fair enough, Vinne Jones for example, or maybe some of the players from Escape to Victory (loved that film), John Wark, Ossie Ardiles, Pele etc

Otherwise, I don't think the London Film and Comic Con is really the place.

Maybe Collectormania !

It would be good to see some Sports Stars, but perhaps this would be better done with a separate event. I would like to meet some of our recent successful Olympians like Matthew Pinsent and Kelly Holmes.

I know it's a convention for Films and Comics, but it would be really great if you could get a couple of premiership footballers to come along and do a signing - any Chelsea players would be great  :wub:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

Please no, the hall will be full of drunken geezers. :wub:

Just kidding...

Please dont hurt me.

:o

• Showmasters Admin
I know it's a convention for Films and Comics, but it would be really great if you could get a couple of premiership footballers to come along and do a signing - any Chelsea players would be great  :wub:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I agree. Personnally I don't think this is what SM events are about.

As Surfy_sah said if you want footballers go to the NEC.

What do you mean this is not what Collectormania is about!!!

Sports guests would be just as relevant as wrestlers, minor tv/film people, have beens, never were and the other assortment of guests that make up the majority of these shows. A market clear exists for sports people and the most popular guests at NEC are always the sports lot. Still I suppose people are happy to see third orc from the left or ewok with hat.

Bring on Eddie the Eagle!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Noddy

• Showmasters Admin

SM events in the past have been about film and TV stars. I'm not going to get into the whole is wrestling a sport/performance/TV show debate. SM choose to get wrestlers along and I have no problem with that.

I don't disagree that there is a market for sports stars.

The NEC event is in fact 2 events in one. One of them being the sporting side. I go to the NEC and just ignore the sports stars, it's not what these events are about for me.

But if you read my post you'll see I said "Personnally" as in, it is MY OPINION that this is not what SM events are about. If you don't agree and think that SM should have them that's fine, I just don't agree.

Edited by Too Tall

Yeah, I mean, there wouldnt be many of them, and they wouldnt be a main attraction, but it would be nice to have them there. It would add more depth too it, and even the people who dont like the idea could just not go to them, it's not like it would hurt them to have them there.

The only prob would be getting them too come. Vinnie Jones would be really good, as he's been in some decent (and some not so decent) films too.

But even the smaller time players would be good, and you'd attract a whole new type of visitor.

Book authors would be good too. I noticed Robert Rankin was at LFCC2, I have never read any of his books, but he did seem fairly popular. Sci-Fi authors would be really relevant.

Some comedians might be nice aswell, I would love to meet Stephen Fry (who has done films) and Ricky Gervais.

All these branches away from the norm would go down really well IMO.

Yeah, I mean, there wouldnt be many of them, and they wouldnt be a main attraction, but it would be nice to have them there. It would add more depth too it, and even the people who dont like the idea could just not go to them, it's not like it would hurt them to have them there.

The only prob would be getting them too come. Vinnie Jones would be really good, as he's been in some decent (and some not so decent) films too.

But even the smaller time players would be good, and you'd attract a whole new type of visitor.

Book authors would be good too. I noticed Robert Rankin was at LFCC2, I have never read any of his books, but he did seem fairly popular. Sci-Fi authors would be really relevant.

Some comedians might be nice aswell, I would love to meet Stephen Fry (who has done films) and Ricky Gervais.

All these branches away from the norm would go down really well IMO.

SM events in the past have been about film and TV stars. I'm not going to get into the whole is wrestling a sport/performance/TV show debate. SM choose to get wrestlers along and I have no problem with that.

I don't disagree that there is a market for sports stars.

The NEC event is in fact 2 events in one. One of them being the sporting side. I go to the NEC and just ignore the sports stars, it's not what these events are about for me.

But if you read my post you'll see I said "Personnally" as in, it is MY OPINION that this is not what SM events are about. If you don't agree and think that SM should have them that's fine, I just don't agree.

Ditto

sportmania?

don't think that should happen, myself, at least not yet.

they've effectively just started LFCC - after FOUR collectormania events. let them focus and develop what they have now. and maybe they would need too much extra time that they just can't make to try to make a third event work.

no-one can do everything.

I think these great events should stay with the Film, comic and Cult TV, I.E. the whole fantasy genre.

In my experience very few people who do the convention/shows like both Fantasy and football. The Sci Fi group I belong to has 30 members and only one member can name all division one teams (or whatever there called these days), much less support a team.

If SM does "sportmania" than I do not see many of the LOTR or SW fans turning up, so SM has to start from nothing again to get a different customer base. Its a lot of work and I don't see it happeneing.

I agree with ignoring the football guests at the mixed event but you may notice everyone dose. There's never a queue for them. Also the dealers at SM are not really set out for football fans, neither are the special events so really what insentive is there for sports only fans to come to the events.

I don't see this working also because outside the world cup you don't really get "football" fans you only get fans of a perticular team (hence Calumn wants Chelsea players) so I don't see the same fans coming back again and again.

Sorry Calumn this is definatly NOT a good thing. You may know a lot of sports clebs by name but to most of the regular visitors to the events there just a bloke kicking a ball or that bloke whos running round that track.

In my opinion if there is any risk of a footballer taking a spot away from an actor than it would just cheapen the whole experience for everyone.

If no extra money was spent getting the guest I would have no objection to them coming, I would just be ignoring them for the weekend. However with the fees they normally charge can you see one

doing an event for less than a substantial ammount?

Calumn you seem quite enthusiastic about this, perhaps you should organise a "sportmania" yourself.

Basil

I know it's a convention for Films and Comics

You've just answered your own question I think...and the answer is NO!

Once you get footballers, the cons'll be open to other sportspeople.

But that's a good thing...

NO.

LFCC is Film and Comic con.

not random overpaid footballers.

to be honest, at the moment i would say forget it at collectormania as well. ppl have mentioned in the past how poorly middleton hall can deal with collectormania as is - add in footballers to enough of a degree, and you either have to remove dealer stands, or remove tv and film actors.

if the venue changed to a feasible (supersized) location capable of dealing with everything, fair enough. but leave it well alone as it is. SM haven't done it yet, however that may have been a reason to bring in wrestlers - to see the feasability of possibly a sporting event even once a year. we don't know what they're thinking - but i doubt if its gonna be a complete new genre added to what exists.

While I wouldnt grumble if there were some football guests, given I'm probably more into footbal than anything else, I'm not sure it would be right for this type of event.

I think the only way to bring football guests in is if they would have some sort of cult appeal eg guests from Escape to Victory. I'm sure there would be a lot of takers if Pele was to come along for example.