uni dissertation

emma_w

Ive completely changed my dissertation idea now and i want to look at xander and his masculinity. i am looking at the episodes the pack, halloween and the zeppo. Anyway if anyone has any thoughts on xander and his masculinity or can give any help that would be really great. or if you can think of any other xander led episodes. Any thoughts or comments would be good

Also if any one knows the address for nick or joss that would be helpful as well.

Edited by emma_w

Xander has a really moving moment with Dawn towards the end of season seven. I can't remember which episode, but it is the talk about them being the only two who don't have a power, and I think when Dawn says to him that he is the heart of the Scooby gang.

In terms of his masculinity, he never shies away from fisticuffs with the various baddies, but with limited success.

And he ain't done too badly in the romance department, Cordy, Anya etc

I think I remember reading some where that Joss saw Xander as being the closest to him in the series.

Xander definetly grows through the seven seasons in to a guy with a responsible job, and an inner strengh that makes him shine, even without a super power.

Xander has a really moving moment with Dawn towards the end of season seven. I can't remember which episode, but it is the talk about them being the only two who don't have a power, and I think when Dawn says to him that he is the heart of the Scooby gang.

That was my favourite Xander moment in Season 7. The episode was Potential. It's a good example of how in the start of Season 7 Xander was seen as being a father figure to Dawn by taking her to school and generally looking out for her.

In reference to Xander's masculinity, i'd say he was pretty much a modern, sensitive guy. His friends were all female, he never really had a male character to bond with - Riley and Oz were the closest. He was the first character to get a steady job and by Season 7 was very much the responsible adult - good at his job and helping fix up the house.

A good episode to look at is Season 5's The Replacement as this was probably the episode where Xander became comfortable just being as he was. His strongest and weakest qualities are divided, creating two Xanders, and by the end Xander realises that he's not just the goofy sidekick.

One thing i really liked about Xander is that although he felt a bit on the outside because he was the only one without powers, he never felt threatened by Buffy's or even Willow's strength, as opposed to say Riley, who was very insecure about the fact that his girlfriend was physically stronger than him. In that sense, Xander was pretty secure in his masculinity.