Questions about the talks.

nicky

1). What exactly happens in the 45 mins, do the guests make a planned speech/presentation or something?

2). If it is just 45 mins of pure Q+A then what happens if the audience has run out of questions within say the first 20 minutes?

3). Am I allowed to film the talks with my camcorder?

4) Why are all but 2 talks free? Are they they the most popular and SM are merely trying to cash-in?

• Moderators

All talks before have been q&a sessions as far as I'm aware ... there's usually more than enough people in the audience to keep the questions flowing, but I guess it's up to the guests and audience to make the most of the time ... the audience must have a lot they would like to know, and equally I'm sure the guests have a lot to talk about!

I'm pretty sure camcorders have never been allowed. They usually have flash photography for the first 10 mins n then no flash after that, but I think that's all. I know when I've been there before, people have been told to stop filming.

Hi

Generally the talks will be Q & A. What tends to happen however is that the guests will turn this into a good entertainment. They often play off eachother and you will find there is no danger of running out of questions. It is quite unusual for it to end up as a simple question then an answer. This will of course depend on the guest(s) as some are more forthcoming than others and we never know how it will run. Let it be said however that I have hosted loads of these talks so far and I have always enjoyed them even when I am not a particular fan of the subject. We hope to be keeping a good flow of entertainment up both afternoons so you can pass the time whilst waiting for your virtual queue tickets to come up.

If you have any suggestions for the talks post them here and I will keep my eye on it.

See you all there

Andy.

Edited by andyw

talks at LFCC1 from what i know were no-video-allowed (at least the LOTR one was.)

however, it will be reiterated at the start of the talk whether or not its permitted to video it.

i've never hears SM object to photos, however, after the first few minutes the flas should be turned off - its a distraction to the speakers, having so many flashes constantly going off (this will prolly be said at the start of the talks as well)

hey there!

Just thought id say that AndyW and DavidB have hit the nail on the head -

Q+A: (sometimes the Questions do get a lil slow, but usually the guests begin to joke around to keep everything going).

NO videocameras are allowed in the talks and you will be told to turn them off, however, if you persist in using them, you are at risk of being removed from the talk and the guests may also leave if they feel put-off by it (so please dont let anyone around you film it either as its awkward for the stewards to interupt the talk to tell you to turn it off!!!!!)

As for the free talks, i have no idea hunni!!!

Best wishes and i hope to see you all there in a lil over a week!!!!!

Jody

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I really wanna film the Alien ones....hopefully the starts won't mind...or is it an SM decision???

I have lots of questions and I hope the audience participation is slow cos I don't wanna hog the stars with MY questions. I know my poo poo when it comes to these movies and have watching closely the docs and commentaries on the dvd set this week.

Edited by nicky

I really wanna film the Alien ones....hopefully the starts won't mind...or is it an SM decision???

Taken from another thread - post by Showmasters

'Video Cameras are NOT allowed into Guest Talks or screenings. This is for a number of reasons both legal and practical.'

'Video Cameras are NOT allowed into Guest Talks or screenings. This is for a number of reasons both legal and practical.'

Not that I don't believe you but could you post the link for that thread please??

Edited by nicky

• Showmasters Admin

Not that I don't believe you but could you post the link for that thread please??

And it is enforced. Well it was in both the C5 LOTR talks I went too. They even checked one girls digital camera because it looked alot like a small video camera.

This is for a number of reasons both legal and practical.'

They never have a problem with filming talks at the other London con, I wonder what the difference is?

Who is the party pooper?

I've never been to an event where you were allowed to video talks. I just thought it was standard practice...

Maybe it's something to do with the DVDs they're working on or whatever

Yes could be, but as Too Tall said they were enforcing the filming law at C5's talks and that dvd still hasn't seen the light of day.

I don't mind not filming the talks so long as a decent DVD or VHS is made available showing the talk in its entirity.

Hi

As far as the video issue goes there are several reasons..

Some of the guests are not comfortable with video being taken by unregulated people. We all want them to be relaxed and to give us a good time. This sometimes results in them being quite silly and these things can come back to haunt them. Remember these are celebs in the public eye.

People videoing can also be annoying for those around them who feel conscious of the camera and it detracts from their experience.

If you are videoing you will not enjoy the talk properly either.

We therefore prefer to make a general rule of no videos

We have videod properly nearly every talk and we have it all stashed away. We will eventually get around to releasing this in some form. its taking a time as editing takes ages and we have got to fit it in araound every day life. We will make it reasonably priced. I will try to get some tasters on the website at some point for those of you with broadband. (this takes even longer to do)

Hope this makes it clear

Andy

I've never been to any of the talks and me and my friends would like to attend the Simon Pegg, Nick Frost talk. How do we get in to see it? Is it a ticket only entry? If so how do we get the tickets? Is it first come first served? I'm asking here because my browser isn't loading the lfacc website.

Tickets will be made available on the day of the the talk ONLY. They will be limited too and it's first come first served...I think it's like the virtual tickets (they'll only give out one per person...I hope). I think the Pegg/Frost one is free too.