Meeting the guests for the first time

BluebizzieB

Dear All

This is my first Collectormania. I have never been to a big event with amazing guests. I want to meet many people and have no idea what to say to either guest.

Can anybody tell me what to say to them.

I want my Star Wars DVD signed by ALL SW guests so I am hoping to meet them as soon as I arrive at the centre.

Thanks

• Moderators

Just ask anything u want, dont worry about whether they've been asked it before or not, ur paying ur money to meet them so u can talk about whatever u want :angry: Just treat them like normal ppl cuz thats what they are at the end of the day.

I had the same thing...Andy Serkis was the first famous person I met and I just felt myself going red as I approached him, but...

IT WAS SOOOO EASY!

Seriously...just hand them the photo (or whatever it is you want signed), say hello or nice to meet you etc and then tell them who you would like your autograph personalised for...haha, then I usually waffle...but you don't have to!

It usually depends on the guest...someone like Brian Blessed talked for ages and ages so I didn't have to fill the time with rubbish (I love those type of guests) but others can be more reserved...in those cases I just get the auto, pose for a photo and leave (its all very polite)

You will be fine though, just be yourself :angry::lol:

Thank you very much for all your kind help. I am very nervous at meeting famous people, one fine example is:

I met Norman Lovett at my local comic con this year and I said my hello and told him it was a great show then I asked him about the Red Dwarf film and he told me that he does not know when filming starts.

I also asked Norman if he knew a person named Dave Fox because he was a camera man on series 3, i said he is my family and he had a blank face look and said he did not know this person, I just said he worked on Red Dwarf. I got my photo but not a picture as I did not have my camera then shook hands and walked away.

I was VERY nervous to begin with.

Edited by BluebizzieB

this is my first ever cm, or big convention, i am also nervous, but as the other people said just be yourself. ive met a few celebs before, and every one of them wer easy to talk to, and feeling nervous quikley goes away. not to bore anyone, but the people ive met are.

david prowse

bruce forsyth

martin kemp

tamzin outhwaite

craig fairbrass

+other autos, like jeffrey of rainbow, anthony head, hugh grant, and one of ma all time heroes muhammad ali.

Really, don't be scared. I felt exactly the same as you on my first event, but just remember they are human too and even they get nervous sometimes.

Most guests make it really easy for you by being friendly and chatty anyway. You might only get one chance to meet them, so just make the most of it. A few deep breaths and you will be fine.

Have a great day :P

Yup just what those guys have said. Just be yourself. Say hello, please to meet you, ask politely for an auto and/or photo. Think up a question maybe before hand that you'd like to ask, or say that you liked there work in so and so, or do a spur of the moment thing (Although be warned, some time after the event you could go "OMG did I say that?" :P ) You can usually tell which are the chatty guests and which are a little more quiet. But just be yourself and be polite. Don't forget to thank them and I usually wish them best of luck with the future.

1st celeb i met was Craig Parker in April and i was terrfyed but as soon as i got to him shook hands said hello, he did all talking i was to nervous to speak, but i got himto sign a pic and my auto book and if i could ahve a photo with him, and he aggreed, then he noticed my bag and sai how cute it was (a lepard teddy nag) and then when i'd said buy and walked off i dropped my pen thatwas clipped on2 my jumper and he shouted me back and picked it up 4 me, since the i realised not to be nervous, they r just people and most of time will make convesation with you if your to nervous to start it yoursef

My personal experience would echo this - just be yourself. I havent met loads of 'celebs' but the ones I have met, I have just spoken to them like I would anyone else.........

:(

Some others I have met that wouldnt make the CM list

Fergal Sharkey

The guy who played the captain in the Onedin line ( ask an oldie ! )

Dave Perry ( Gamesmaster )

Michelle Gayle ( when she was in Grange Hill )

and I once got ran off the road by Oliver Letwin ( Tory MP )

I don't really get excited about meeting them. Most of the guests are fantastic, but you don't get a lot of time with them anyway. So a nice hello is cool.

I will admit i've made a bit of a fool of myself in the past. :( But it doesn't bother me, as I never have to see them again. My sister and I just laugh about it now.

Try not to be too starstruck as you only have a short time meeting the guests, so you don't want to go away not having had the chance to ask them anything.

At the end of the day, they are just regular people, so for non u.k. guests, you could ask stuff such as, are they enjoying their trip to England, what else are they going to see while they are here for example.

If you have a really burning question about one of their parts or a programme they have been in , then ask that.

Otherwise, just be polite, say it was great to meet them, you enjoy their show and can you have a photo for example.

Most guests have a topic that will get them started talking, some are more natural, and others are actually quite shy, particularly if they haven't done many conventions or public appearances before.

As someone else said further up the thread, if you ever meet Brian Blessed, he will chat for ages about all sorts of things, from boxing and animals to mountain climbing.

The other thing to be aware of of course, is everyone else in the queue behind you, so whilst it is great to have a little chat with a guest, please do not monopolise the guest for 20 minutes, leaving everyone else red faced and impatient behind you. Remember, everyone wants the opportunity to meet the guests, and like you it should be just as special for each and every one.

I hope you have a good experience at C6 , meeting the guests , seeing the stalls, and also chatting to others.

I sometimes get a little nervous especially if it's a nice man that I like, can feel my cheeks going a little bit red! :firedevil:

I got a bit nervous meeting Craig Parker and all that came out of my mouth after saying hello to him was 'I think you look much better in real life - without the elf hair' he just laughed and told me I looked better in the flesh too! He was a really nice guy, he spent a while trying to talk a little girl into having her picture taken with in front of me but she was scared and kept hiding behind her mum!

I must definietly have a think about questions before CM6 so not to say anything silly again!

Just remember to enjoy it as you only get a few minutes, I'm getting all excited now!

I think the only guest I was initially hesitant at saying much to was Andrew Robinson aka Garak from DS9 and the Scorpio Killer in Dirty Harry. He had been a favourite actor of mine ever since I first saw Dirty Harry. Thankfully, he noticed I had picked the photo of him as The Scorpio Killer for him to sign and that broke the ice.

The only other stars I would be STAR STRUCK in anyway would be Patrick Stewart (mostly because of his Shakesperian experience), Robert De Niro and Al Pacino (total legends) and Muhammed Ali (a true legend and I am an ex boxer)

Just try and be yourself. They are humans after all who do a very public job.

• Moderators

It's pretty natural to be starstruck .. when u've watched these people for hours and admired their work, then they're suddenly there in front of u and u can talk to them! Just make the most of the opportunity, it's unique and it may never happen again, u don't wanna have regrets :lol:

It's pretty natural to be starstruck .. when u've watched these people for hours and admired their work, then they're suddenly there in front of u and u can talk to them! Just make the most of the opportunity, it's unique and it may never happen again, u don't wanna have regrets :lol:

I know what you mean...missing the chance to ask Kristanna Loken for her mobile number :)