Paying to take pictures with your own camera!

I was just speaking to someone I know who lives in Toronto and she is big into the convention circuit. She told me she has paid at events before to use her own camera for pictures with the guests! Does anyone else think this is craziness? I am glad SMs don't do that.

• Showmasters Admin
I cant believe they can get away with that :huh:

What do they do have photo police? lol :lol:

Yes they do :o Well kind of.

I've heard of this before and the crew are told to call sercurity is anyone violates it. They have big signs up like at the Tower of London saying photos are not allowed without express permission and that cameras and/or films can and will be confiscated if violated.

I can understand the Tower of London one as that could be cosidered a security issue, but having to pay to use your own camera is ridiculous. What will be next, an extra charge to use their seats? or pay to breathe the same air as the celeb (ok a bit far fetched i know but still....)

Oh, that is ludicrous. I've been to several conventions in Germany and Holland, and picture-taking is always allowed.

So I can't even take a picture of my best friend in front of a huge line of people waiting for an autograph? Why not? What do the actors 'lose' by getting their picture taken? OK, if they ask not to flash, I can agree. If they ask not to ask for photo's WITH an actor, I can understand. But paying for pictures of ana ctor signing someone elses stuff... NO WAY!

• Showmasters Admin

I agree it is stupid. I'm sure it'll never find it's way to an SM event. It couldn't to a Collectormania anyway as it's a public place. It would be impossible (and illegal) to police.

• Showmasters Admin
How much money we talking about it??  :huh:

I was told it was 7 dollars canadian, I think that is about 5 quid.

No that's US dollars in Canadian it's only about £3. Still a rip off though.

How much money we talking about it??  :huh:

I was told it was 7 dollars canadian, I think that is about 5 quid.

No that's US dollars in Canadian it's only about £3. Still a rip off though.

We took probably about 40 photos or more at C5 :lol:

it is a HORRIBLE thought!!!! :o:D:lol:

but I'm sure if there was a camera ban at say LFACC, the majority would just be handing over that £5 note, I know I would be (or maybe investing in a camera phone ;) ) I'd rather pay and be pied off than have no photos :P

surfy sah xx

ps-not to give you ANY ideas here SM!!!!!! :P

So I can't even take a picture of my best friend in front of a huge line of people waiting for an autograph? Why not? What do the actors 'lose' by getting their picture taken? OK, if they ask not to flash, I can agree. If they ask not to ask for photo's WITH an actor, I can understand. But paying for pictures of ana ctor signing someone elses stuff... NO WAY!

Really responding to everyone, not just you *G*

I agree I think it's shame if actors charge for photos, and I'm glad that most are still happy to do a photo for free if time allows. But sometimes they (and others) do lose out by doing it.

Time: especially if you are at a Convention (with a big C, as opposed to a trading fair/signing event), there's only limited time to get a lot of attendees through an auto session. So a lot ban photos to keep things moving.

Money: Let's face it, if you have an organised, proffesional photo session then allowing people to take their own pics might mean less people paying! (having said that I find most actors at Conventions with organised photo sessions are willing to have photos taken if they turn up at a party or something)

Responding specifically to Liessa's post: there are several good reasons for some actors objecting to you taking pictures from a distance. Firstly it might be seen as rude to just take pictures of them without even saying Hello. (How would you feel if someone did it to you?). Secondly, I know of at least one actor who strongly objects to people taking pictures of him signing, for very good reason: he's had people use pictures like that to 'authenticate' fake autographs they are selling on eBay.

iluvronweasley: Could I ask for a clarification: was the paid-for photo in an organised session or at the autograph session?

iluvronweasley: Could I ask for a clarification: was the paid-for photo in an organised session or at the autograph session?

To be quite honest I am not sure. She and I were merely discussing prices people charge at different events and she asked me if I had to pay to take a photo because she has had to in the past. However from what we talked about I think though it was an actual event and not just a signing session.

Something more shocking I was going to go to a convention last month in Toronto but there was only one guest there I really wanted to see. I ended up only going to the art sections because the entrance fee for the artwork was $10 entrance to see guests was $50 each so between me and my fiance that's $100 to see one person and that's before even getting an autograph :D

I was just speaking to someone I know who lives in Toronto and she is big into the convention circuit. She told me she has paid at events before to use her own camera for pictures with the guests! Does anyone else think this is craziness? I am glad SMs don't do that.

Your joking?

Man, i was talking about this with other CM people here last week. I believe it was about Lou Ferringo on a thread. Over there you actually do get charged, Now that's nuts!

Yes it is indeed craziness as you've put it. And SM wouldn't do that i'm sure!

Edited by Megafan

in fairness, some ppl have copyrighted their images (david beckham i heard is one such person)

but ... if they're not being sold on why charge??

and its not hurting the organisation financially to take your own pics....

but if its 'at all' and not just 'of the guests' then... lfcc, i'd taken over a hundred photos in total... a fair few of guests though...

sah, i don't reckon too many would fork over a fiver PER PERSON - in total, maybe, or per day, but not per person or photo.... i'd leave my camera at home quicker....

:lol:

(and i think some hotels will charge for breathing their air in some foreign countries... they pass it off as 'tax' or some such bull, but that already happens... and using their sun if you're outside in their grounds....)