The CM talk Events!

Megafan

Aren't they too much. I mean, going round all day asking a dozen or more likely half a dozen of C6 present stars for their autograph and for a picture. And then. To go to a guest talk for an hour. For £15. isn't that too much.

If it depends on the individual, working or not. How much money does one go to a convention like Collectormania with? Sorry if it sounds harsh, but i'll like to know if 'Showmasters' are thinking about the pockets of the customers who go to shows like these. Do the math.

After a long day of buying autographs and buying from Comic Dealer's stalls (a favorite of mine) and odd things like, eating food, paying for travel fares or staying in a hotel etc. For those who have come from abroad or far across England.

Just how much does all that include, money wise. And if you're in a family or on your own, or even grouped together from work collegues /college friends, by yourself etc.

For once, i just realised CM got guest i want to meet in a "Talk forum" meeting kind of thing and being a smart person who likes to conserve, but not at all be cheap or tight. I want to attend a talk. But sees as they talks are like £15 for a mere hour.

I have to ask. Does this appeal to hardcores of the stars. "The Super-Rich" who walk around, get two dozen autographs all day long and still go to a 'Celebrity talk' being held and go on all Three/Four days while dining at the best restaurants during the time spent at 'MK'. Or the us ordinary schmoes, who scrape together what they've got to travel and get lucky within a few hoursdoing all sorts of stuff.

I'm not complaining, with all that's going on in the world, we're fortunate to go to a convention and kick back for a day.

But after spending so much during the day. What does a 1 hour long talk include that makes it worth £15. Would anyone doing that do so much, on a ticket to the theater or cinema? Collecotmania seems to grow with every convention held. i'm just hoping the steep prices are halved when serveal of the stars i want to go to aren't overly priced. £7 is fair. considering you might have just gotten said star's autograph.

Convention have an unfair reputation as "Geekfests". now i'd rather be a geek than a nerd. but i wouldn't want to dig deep into my wallet, which metaphorically might be crying tears late during the day as i pay £15 or more to sit down at a "star talk" Inwhich the stars in their minds might be saying. Man, how much did the geeks pay up this time. 2.000 of them, wow, now i can buy that house in Fiji

Collecotormania has to turn people away at the siginings let alone when the talk are all booked up. think about the people who went home afterwards and didn't go to the talks. all the potenial butts in seats who mayhave been interested. What i'm saying is. Lower the price of the 'Talk events' and lure some average people to these shindigs and keep the prices sane! I know for a fact i've talked to may at cons who say. The majority are just regulars who wouldn't think twice about paying up weird prices to see certain stars.

I want to see a few stars this time, but £15 come on? covering cost and paying the crew comes from all the takings as well as the actual profit. And i chatted to stars at CM so i know what happens for some of them with the money for autographs they take.

Does a 1 hour talk require all that much money? and why. Haven't people been buying autographs all day long a £15 £20 and £25 pounds. i hope showmasters can answer a serious question from a concerned fan.

I'm no cheapo, but i no fool either. if collectormania wants to grow it must not fll for the. "They are money giving Geeks" mentality. Or only, hardcores and the Super-Rich will make Collectormania events what it is!

Make the talks £7 for a 1 hour talks. Unless the talks includes food, drink and behind the scenes film and videos footage not seen, anywhere else, and free gifts.

Who else feels this way?

:lol:

Edited by Megafan

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Comes down to the same old thing.

If you ain't happy don't go.

I see what your saying, and to be quite honest, after going to a talk at LFCC, I probably wouldn't go to another. I was very dissapointed, but that was not the fault of Showmasters.

They have to charge £15, it all goes towards paying the guests, and trying to make some profit from the event.

• Moderators

The talks have always been popular and really good from what I've been to - Elijah/Sean, and the other LOTR one at C4, and then Robert Englund/Ken Kerzinger at C5 ... they were all really entertaining and it's often a once in a lifetime opportunity to see ur favourite actors together, and having a chance to listen to them talk about their experiences etc ... u don't get an hour with them when u meet them for an autograph, some people could say that u get a lot more out of a £15 talk than u do out of a £15 autograph. Personally I'd rather pay £15 for a talk cuz it's very informative and it's not just a lil signature on a piece of paper, u know? I think Bex is right, it's all down to personal preference and don't go if you don't wanna pay that much.

Obviously a lot of people DO want to go so they'll pay it. I don't see how £7 per person would be a realistic price to be honest but if that's all u'd be willing to pay then u won't be going. There's a lot of costs to consider but I won't go into them. No-one is forcing u to go so I don't think it's asking too much. I think they are well presented talks in a nice friendly and relaxed atmosphere and setting, while some other shows just shove a few actors on a stage in the corner and expect everyone to stand crowded around the stage and barge through for position and fight to get questions answered. I'd rather be able to sit properly and enjoy it! I've never had a chance to see Nic Brendon do a talk, so it's a great opportunity for me ... I'd only be able to see him do talks at Buffy-exclusive cons and don't get me started about the price of them!! There's a lot of factors that contribute to the fact I think £15 is reasonable but that's just me! :huh:

I'm afraid you'll find the whole "no one's forcing you to pay that" and "if you don't like the prices don't go" kinda reasons being posted or people who think you are "poo poo shirring" when all you are doing is asking a question :lol:

a couple of things to consider:

firstly, the stars at the talk want to be paid, the venue has to be paid for and SM need to make a proffit! ;)

also ALOT of people who come to CM and alot that are on the forum atually live in MK or very close by (lucky scamps who don't have to pay for travel rooms!!! ;)) so they can afford to pay for talks and stuff!

thirdly, some of the talks at c5 and the LotR talks at previous events have included e.g. LotR talk and LotR FotR movie, so it's not always just a talk you are getting for your £15! (in the UK you can pay between £5-£10 to see a film, possibly more in London!! :o )

SM haven't even announced talks for c6 yet! :P

lastly, you might find your £15 better spent at the P A R T Y, where you will be able to mix and mingle (hang out) with ALOT of the different stars from SW/ SG/ ST/ LotR/ Buffy (one of the guys' band is playing!) etc (we are waiting for SM to announce such things - as far as I am aware :P) rather than a few stars from e.g. just LotR!

hope you fins this helpful :D

surfy sah xx :o

• Moderators

I just don't get why many of us feel the need to make the whole point that Showmasters have these prices to partly make a profit! At the end of the day, it's a business like any other, so it surely makes sense to every person who comes on here :D It's not that hard to work out really :o It's like going in a shop, if u don't wanna pay their prices, u don't! I'm not saying this cuz I think people are "poo poo stirring" ... it's just simple logic to be honest :lol:

Bex, i've seen your name and posts about. Thank you the honest reply too. We are after all down to earth normal people. i like stars, i've listened to them talk at booths and some times you wish to meet the star or celeb and make a lasting good encounter with rather than the happy jumping weird quoting lines from their movies and TV shows kind off geekyness! Which isn't bad or a sin mind you. But leaves the feeling of weirdness, Where did they come from in the air.

But truth be told. thats why i don't take the lines:

If you ain't happy don't go.

We live in cynical times where if you've sadi and argued your point sensible. The layman's answer is something like that. Why? because it so simple to solved a customer's fair and open minded questions as to why certain things are, why the way they just happen to be!

Obviously a lot of people DO want to go so they'll pay it. I don't see how £7 per person would be a realistic price to be honest but if that's all u'd be willing to pay then u won't be going. There's a lot of costs to consider but I won't go into them.

Did i come at you ignorantly? Then why are you why are you going over things i've covered! i know it's not easy putting the convention together. But i mentioned things that just because they need to do it doesn't mean every little thing always £15 bucks and above.

THATS WHY I COVERED IT HERE: I want to see a few stars this time, but £15 come on? covering cost and paying the crew comes from all the takings as well as the actual profit. And i've chatted to stars at CM so i know what happens for some of them with the money for autographs they take.

So please, leave out i've gotta tell i'm this and that like i don't know. Or i need a smart alec quip like this:

No-one is forcing u to go so I don't think it's asking too much. I think they are well presented talks in a nice friendly and relaxed atmosphere and setting, while some other shows just shove a few actors on a stage in the corner and expect everyone to stand crowded around the stage and barge through for position and fight to get questions answered. I'd rather be able to sit properly and enjoy it! I've never had a chance to see Nic Brendon

Forced? I want to go to one, without feeling i've spend 2.000 Pounds. I take it you have a Platinum Card then, good for you. Most of us, ain't in the Super-Rich crowd. And no Bex. Not all of the money made is for the stars alone. Collectormania needs to cover cost of the event itself. thats what i brought up, which somebody else missed out! £15 from the talks and autograph booths, yeah.

But unlike others, things do need to be questioned. Thanks for seeing some of my points as you've stated Bex. As for anybody else, i didn't condem SM i asked them a fair set of questions. If other feel i'm too open about it or are sutblely telling me something. Well, i don't shy away from a good talk about matters in general. If you want to blow your savings plus extras on things to the point where it's all gone. Fine i didn't question your spending habits. I said why are alot of these things going up and up.

If some like David, want to 'talkdown' feeling you know better fine. But you ain't dealing with a fool. And neither are most of you. you're good people. I believed i've raised fair and open points. I like and want to meet the stars badly. If you've payed up £15 to see their movies then go ahead. I haven't i've payed up to £7 for them onscreen. So why pay up £15? For a talk. Would you pay £20.

I think Bex is right, it's all down to personal preference and don't go if you don't wanna pay that much.

Lame cop out excuse. Sounds like your backing him cos you haven't argued your own points out in full, yet. Personal preference nothing, if you have all the money like "King Midas" you'd go to the talks alone with all the other things you would have done throughout the day. My point is a logical one. you might be dying to see said star but can't because, A) it's too much to spend realistically. :D You're a fan but not crazy. C) you like CM, but alot of it wore you down and even though you have a autograph the important talk is under way and you won't have another chance to se said star/'s again. (maybe not ever?)

Glad you maybe out of touch with the little man. Some of us can relate. and i won't speak for Bex. But whatever he saw in my first post, he agreed with. It's not enough to say you agree with somebody else. You've got to back it up with a smart, laided out, arguement.

How many times at CM have you heard the shoppers go on about the high prices when they see a stars and their son and daughters want to see them at the talks?!

See David, unlike Bex you think, i'm mad or cheap and want things my way. Wrong, go back and read the thread good and proper. What i'm trying to say is that, for a good day out. to see stars you know are charging for their autograph (which is fair, and i haven't moaned too much about) why can't a few things for the passtionate fan or hardcore, be a little easier. I don't know about you. But alot of us have brought expensive things from comic book dealers, DVD booths and the art booths. Now add the stars autographs to the mix and the the travel costs, buying of foods from the shops/restaurants and the talks.

Add that all up, plus, many more cost of expensives! Not a bad day huh. yeah...........but i've spend less at Alton Towers?

I understand Collectormania more than you think. Bex didn't talk down to me. So why are you?

And in case, you missed more vital parts of my last post. I also said this:

I'm not complaining, with all that's going on in the world, we're fortunate to go to a convention and kick back for a day.

Now if, i so wrong how come i said something to that effect which is quite true.

Read the thread in full, so you won't have "holes" in your lamblasting of me. I've been to CM three times and except for one minor thing, am quite fine. I going again to get autographs, pictures, seeing dealer friends of mine that i've brought stuff off and chinwag in general.

Does that make me a bad person. For thinking ahead and being concerned. about how i can squeeze out the best without going home a 'Porpa'! you decide.

At the end of the day none of this is personal. But i like to really be understood. Not thought of as mere rookie who doesn't know what he's on about or back up what he is talking about, with sensible facts or points of view he has, of his own.

Have a good day both of you. it's been good.

:saiyan:

Edited by Megafan

At the end of the day, it's a business like any other, so it surely makes sense to every person who comes on here  It's not that hard to work out really  It's like going in a shop, if u don't wanna pay their prices, u don't! I'm not saying this cuz I think people are "poo poo stirring" ... it's just simple logic to be honest 

And like any business if you do not listen to your customers, you'll end up bust!.................. :D

As for being honest, i do that 24/7. stop feeling theatened by someone else presenting a thought out arguement. If you like the prices so much. You can play the person with a heart of "Gold" and pay for everyone who wants in a talk? Should be no problem for someone who thinks all those prices are dirt cheap?

And up the "Taxes", hey even the tax-men boys in the government need to eat right? and the economy needs it work, doesn't it. Jack up taxes too. Unless you want business to work (reasonably) and taxes nice and low, like the rest of sane individuals.

Want to hear, you say that's reasonable as well. Unless we can't and are not allowed to talk about it, like we can't bring it up. And question it, even a little bit.

:D

gosh too much to read!!!!

must make an ammendment, talks have not been "pinned" but information has appeared on the Collectormania webiste!

when I said "poo poo stirring", I was referring to people posting about Megafan whinning/winging/moaning/complaining about prices or posts such as "not another post about prices" when Megafaan has said they just want to ask questions :D

surfy sah xx :P:D

when I said "poo poo stirring", I was referring to people posting about Megafan whinning/winging/moaning/complaining about prices or posts such as "not another post about prices" when Megafaan has said they just want to ask questions :D

Well I'm sorry if I offended anyone but it's like every other day there is a post that causes an argument on here now (whether it's meant to or not)! :D

Well considering some of the prices I have seen out here in Canada I am quite happy paying £15

This weekend there is a con and the prices are $39 CDN entrance fee to a convention and a basic pass being $20

Now to actually go to a talk with Patrick Stewart there and get his autograph etc you are going to be paying $170 (that's not including entrance fee which is the other $39 on top) so £15 seems fair enough to me :D

Last month to get into a convention here it was $50 on the door let alone autograph prices

Edited by Jeannette

• Moderators
Forced? I want to go to one, without feeling i've spend 2.000 Pounds. I take it you have a Platinum Card then, good for you. Most of us, ain't in the Super-Rich crowd. And no Bex. Not all of the money made is for the stars alone. Collectormania needs to cover cost of the event itself. thats what i brought up, which somebody else missed out! £15 from the talks and autograph booths, yeah.

See David, unlike Bex you think, i'm mad or cheap and want things my way. Wrong, go back and read the thread good and proper. What i'm trying to say is that, for a good day out. to see stars you know are charging for their autograph (which is fair, and i haven't moaned too much about) why can't a few things for the passtionate fan or hardcore, be a little easier. I don't know about you. But alot of us have brought expensive things from comic book dealers, DVD booths and the art booths. Now add the stars autographs to the mix and the the travel costs, buying of foods from the shops/restaurants and the talks.

I like a good debate and ur not doing it in an insulting or a derogatory way like some people do on here so I will continue if u don't mind ... sorry if I repeat anything people have posted but this might take a while to write.

I don't have a Platinum Card at all. I'm 21, I've just graduated from uni and I don't have a job so it's not the best circumstances for ME to go to a convention, u know? So I'm nowhere near the "Super-Rich" crowd sadly! Just like u, I wish I was! I wish I could get all the autographs that I want but I can't. I wish I could go to every talk but I can't. The fact is that at these events, just like in shops and online etc, businesses set prices to make profit. That much is true and I'm not ignorant enough to not realise that. It's something that I accept rather than argue against though. Personally I don't email Play.com and say "Oh I'd love this DVD but I don't think ur price is fair, so could u lower it a bit and then I'd be happy to buy it" ... u can pick that comment apart if u wish, but I class Showmasters and their events as much as a business as any other. Sure, while there's a certain fan aspect involved, at the end of the day it just wouldn't be realistic to keep running events on a loss surely? I realise there are costs that need to be covered, but it probably wouldn't be worth running it just to cover costs alone, I myself would want to get something out of the event aswell!

I can't say I've ever gone into a shop and questioned the details behind why something is a certain price ... would they even TELL me if I did ask? Probably not! They're not going to show me their accounts, explain every cost and then show me what they'll make from things, and the profit in the end. I doubt many of us can afford everything we want in life, but that's where we have to be realistic and just choose the things we want the most, or that we CAN afford. I understand the fact u want to go to these places and do what u want, don't we all? I realise that some businesses will publish business plans, and annual accounts etc, but I'm unaware of this being common practice for events like this so u know ... I accept things for what they are.

As for paying for the talks, I believe that they are a rare opportunity compared to just going and seeing a movie. I see the film AFTER the talk as a bonus and that's not what I pay for. What I *do* pay for is something that u can't just go into a shop and buy off the shelf, or go to any cinema in the country and see. It's an opportunity to see ur favourite actors/actresses in the flesh, listen to them talk about their experiences and interact with them. It's a one off, there will never be a talk exactly the same as it, and it's the only opportunity for MANY people to see their idols in such a unique situation.

Would I complain if the price was lowered? No way! But all of us have to budget and decide whats most important. I wouldn't dare dream of going up to a dealer and saying "Hi, I really like that Buffy figure but can you do it for half the price so that I can afford to go to a talk please?" ... and so at the same time I won't ask Showmasters to drop their prices so I can afford autos, talk tickets, and still get dealer stuff. I don't buy stuff from dealers because I'd rather go and see the talks and get my autos. Many things that are on the stalls I could buy another time, but the talks won't be happening again. I don't think u are mad nor cheap, I just don't think you can have EVERYTHING u want ... many of us have to lose out somewhere. The dealers would have to lose out if we told them to lower prices, Showmasters would lose out if we told THEM to lower prices, the GUESTS would lose out if their auto prices went down. How do you decide which one of them to chose to lower the prices on? I don't think any of them are fair to be honest.

I'm not trying to talk down to u, it's just the way I see things. I realise that you'd like to get everything u want, as would all of us, but that's not the way the world works really. I wish it did, because we'd all be a lot happier, but I'm pretty realistic about that kinda thing. U're definitely not a bad person by a long shot, wanting to be in the position where u can do whatever u want, so I apologise if you thought I was coming across in that way :D

I'm afraid you'll find the whole "no one's forcing you to pay that" and "if you don't like the prices don't go" kinda reasons being posted or people who think you are "poo poo shirring" when all you are doing is asking a question

That should be directed at Davidb6937 then, not me.

Well I'm sorry if I offended anyone but it's like every other day there is a post that causes an argument on here now (whether it's meant to or not)!

What? like, yours! Well argue some strong points back. Pretending to laugh it off, or making comments about the situation won't make it easier or solve the problem, if one poster mis-understands or jumps down your throat with a weak arguement.

Well I'm sorry if I offended anyone but it's like every other day there is a post that causes an argument on here now (whether it's meant to or not)!

What? like, yours! Well argue some strong points back. Pretending to laugh it off, or making comments about the situation won't make it easier or solve the problem, if one poster mis-understands or jumps down your throat with a weak arguement.

Why can't I laugh it off? I've got involved in these types of arguments before & it's a complete waste of time. It's a lose-lose situation. No one ever changes their views!

I have no need for 'strong points' as I ain't entering any type of argument with anyone here! :P

And what do you mean 'solve' the situation? There is nothing to solve is there? Aren't you just discussing SMs pricing? Well it's not gonna change anything is it? :D

Fair enough David6937.

Good points raised on both ends.

I don't have a Platinum Card at all. I'm 21, I've just graduated from uni and I don't have a job so it's not the best circumstances for ME to go to a convention, u know? So I'm nowhere near the "Super-Rich" crowd sadly! Just like u, I wish I was! I wish I could get all the autographs that I want but I can't. I wish I could go to every talk but I can't. The fact is that at these events, just like in shops and online etc, businesses set prices to make profit.

I'll get back to you on this, as it is a good arguement.

21? gee, you fight good for 21. i'm a little older, almost too much to be here. But i'm not 30 yet so i'm still young somewhat!

I'll talk later and continue.

:D:D

Aren't you just discussing SMs pricing? Well it's not gonna change anything is it?

No not the autograph price, the talk "pricing" as you've put it.

And while i admit i too have been in arguements like this. i prefer to back up my points with facts. Or i wouldn't bother. not everyone you encounter online is, childish and fights because it just happens to be over the internet.

If i had a disagreement with someone. you can always/or half the time. Find a way to argue without hating the other person!

Anyway, i've been up for hours (alot)

i'll see you all later.

Have fun.

• Moderators

I think this is a discussion thread, most people seem to be trying to discuss their points in a valid and sensible way ... there's no random insult throwing or anything like that, like some "arguments" that have been on here before. I really don't mind proper discussions about issues. I don't think people are "poo poo stirring" by being opinionated, I just think some people on here don't present their opinions in a good manner.

OK, my first showmasters event was C4, and I got all the Hobbit sigs (if you include Serkis - he's a demi Hobbit) and then settled down in the evening to a good couple of hours of entertainment by ElWood (as he calls himself) and Sean Astin.

It totally made the event for me and (I thought) represented excellent value. Especially with the film - but Elijah was so chatty he (almost) had to be dragged off stage kicking and screaming - ages after the event was supposed to end...so late that I had to leave the film half way through.

I have also been to the LFACC, that was much less fun, somehow I didnt think that the guests "clicked" the same (although it was outstanding when Serkis did his auction) but because the event was not including a film etc etc it was £10.

And I even went to a Red Dwarf talk at that show for free! All in all it wasn't bad value at all. I think it's much better value than the autographs myself

£15 does seem a lot for a talk which lasts an hour (although they usually go over).

I had to leave my job a month ago so I basically have no money. I'm struggling to justify spending all my overdraft limit on C6 :lol: But I will, because I'm pretty sure I'll get a new job soon and I don't want to miss out.

Anyway, the point I wanted to make is that the talks have always been the highlight of my convention experience. So personally, as someone who has been to them before, I believe that it IS worth £15. But it does depend which talk you go to. I've heard a couple of people complain about how some haven't been very good. But I've always really enjoyed the LOTRs talks.

you dont like it dont come!

I know what you mean. Recently I pointed out a convention to a friend based on a show she likes. When we checked the tickets they were chargeing £300 which was extortionate for what was being offered (in our opinion). What did we do? Just decided not to go and left it at that. I always think if the prices are to high, not as many people will go and they will learn for next time.

• Moderators

I know what you mean. Recently I pointed out a convention to a friend based on a show she likes. When we checked the tickets they were chargeing £300 which was extortionate for what was being offered (in our opinion). What did we do? Just decided not to go and left it at that. I always think if the prices are to high, not as many people will go and they will learn for next time.

Any chance it's a Halloween con? cuz I looked at one that was £300 that I'd LOVE to go to, has a great lineup, but they are NO WAY IN HELL taking that much money from me! :lol:

Any chance it's a Halloween con? cuz I looked at one that was £300 that I'd LOVE to go to, has a great lineup, but they are NO WAY IN HELL taking that much money from me! :angry:

Same with me & my friends re. the Halloween one :(