What is the big deal with Wrestling ?

It looks to me like a bunch of steroid munching panto stars in glittery suits somersaulting round the ring.

Why are these guys suddenly invading Collectormania. Have they ever been in a sci-fi or fantasy TV or Fillm ?

Maybe the Rock, but what is going on ?

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks to me like a bunch of steroid munching panto stars in glittery suits somersaulting round the ring.

Why are these guys suddenly invading Collectormania. Have they ever been in a sci-fi or fantasy TV or Fillm ?

Maybe the Rock, but what is going on ?

the Rock would be good but other than that no thank you

you cant class them as sports stars or actors

I'm not interested in them either ...

But hey let's be open-minded and respect what other people like :lol:

And a good point with such guests is that I can save some money for a few beers ! :lol:

(BTW, what is the typical price for a beer in the UK ? :rolleyes: )

Well, Stacy Keibler looks hot .... a picture with her would be nice (from a purely hormonal point

of view :lol: ) but I'm not willing to pay for any autograph.

Edited by lams9999

But hey let's be open-minded and respect what other people like :lol:

And a good point with such guests is that I can save some money for a few beers ! :P

(BTW, what is the typical price for a beer in the UK ? :blink: )

Well, Stacy Keibler looks hot .... a picture with her would be nice (from a purely hormonal point

of view :P ) but I'm not willing to pay for any autograph.

Depends on where you go mate...

About £1.60 ish at wethespoons, £2.00-£2.50 in most other pubs/clubs, and a fiver in your hotel, lol.

The show is called COLLECTORMANIA..!!!!!!

there is a hell of a lot of wrestling collectibles and memorabilia out there...

now WHERE does it say they have to be TV or movie stars to attend this event.

??????

And breathe......

I fully respect that some people like it, I just don't. Nor do I like Star Trek, Buffy, Farscape, B5 ect. I was just making a comment, which I am perfectley entitled to do.....

• Moderators

Why do people need to be convinced?

At the end of the day, we ALL like different things!

If ur gonna be picky about it being "film and tv stars" ... then look at No Holds Barred as a film, or the fact that there's at least 4 different WWE shows on TV every week! I watch around 4 hrs a week, sometimes 8 if there's a PPV ... that's often more than I'll watch other shows!

Wrestling is now classed as "sports entertainment" and has been marketed so for years now, it doesn't take a genius to work out that half of it isn't real and is staged/acted - there's storylines just like in movies, and u could always see it as doing stunts etc which I bet you don't discount stuntmen in movies right? Nope, the athleticism involved in what these guys and gals do is phenomenal, and if you think it's just simple and you could go and do what they do without breaking ur neck then u go right ahead and show me :blink:

Thousands of people watch it every week in the UK, and MILLIONS around the world do ... night after night they'll put on shows in towns and draw crowds. They do tours all over the world!

Just because u don't like it, doesn't mean there's not a demand for it. The fact is if Showmasters market this correctly, it could be BIG business for them! There has never been a chance to really the two we've been given, not in this kinda environment anyways. Some wrestlers like Mick Foley and Steve Austin are BEST SELLING authors, and WWE are expanding into the movie market so again that links them into films :P

And don't even get me started on merchandising and collectors areas of it ... $$$$$ is all I can say!

The show is called COLLECTORMANIA..!!!!!!

there is a hell of a lot of wrestling collectibles and memorabilia out there...

now WHERE does it say they have to be TV or movie stars to attend this event.

??????

In the Collectormania Frequently Asked Questions section it says:

"Collectormania is a large Film, TV and Sci-Fi show held twice yearly in Milton Keynes"

But hey let's be open-minded and respect what other people like :P

And a good point with such guests is that I can save some money for a few beers ! :P

(BTW, what is the typical price for a beer in the UK ? :blink: )

of view :lol: ) but I'm not willing to pay for any autograph.

I haven't got the slightest interest , again other than hormonal with Stacy , with WWE or wrestling in general , but this argument is just an extension to the same theme - SM are not getting guests just for one person or one theme , they are trying to cover all markets , and good on them ;)

It would be great if we wanted to meet all the guests - but how much money would be needed :P I haven't got it and there is a limit to what anybody would spend even if they could afford everything .

If there is an audience for WWE then I am very happy that SM are trying to win these people . I actually think that WWE is a new sort of theatre anyway - all choreographed and pre-set :lol:

We don't have to all like it , and I will NEVER sit and watch it , but I will never post telling SM to NOT get someone - only to post about what I DO WANT .

Depends on where you go mate...

About £1.60 ish at wethespoons, £2.00-£2.50 in most other pubs/clubs, and a fiver in your hotel, lol.

Well, you mean for a pint I hope ? :(:D

LMAO. :lol:

Yeah, things ain't got that bad over here yet.

where are you coming from then????

Why do people need to be convinced?

At the end of the day, we ALL like different things!

If ur gonna be picky about it being "film and tv stars" ... then look at No Holds Barred as a film, or the fact that there's at least 4 different WWE shows on TV every week! I watch around 4 hrs a week, sometimes 8 if there's a PPV ... that's often more than I'll watch other shows!

Wrestling is now classed as "sports entertainment" and has been marketed so for years now, it doesn't take a genius to work out that half of it isn't real and is staged/acted - there's storylines just like in movies, and u could always see it as doing stunts etc which I bet you don't discount stuntmen in movies right? Nope, the athleticism involved in what these guys and gals do is phenomenal, and if you think it's just simple and you could go and do what they do without breaking ur neck then u go right ahead and show me :D

Thousands of people watch it every week in the UK, and MILLIONS around the world do ... night after night they'll put on shows in towns and draw crowds. They do tours all over the world!

Just because u don't like it, doesn't mean there's not a demand for it. The fact is if Showmasters market this correctly, it could be BIG business for them! There has never been a chance to really the two we've been given, not in this kinda environment anyways. Some wrestlers like Mick Foley and Steve Austin are BEST SELLING authors, and WWE are expanding into the movie market so again that links them into films :(

And don't even get me started on merchandising and collectors areas of it ... $$$$$ is all I can say!

The inclusion of these Wrestlers is definetly a different track to the type of guests that have appeared before, and doesn't seem in the spirit of guests that have previously attended. If you don't draw the line some where, where do you draw the line.

Are we going to start to have other sports stars attending, like some other shows ? If we are , then fair enough, but lets be clear so we can all start putting in our wish lists for sports stars and the like.

Sure , some people enjoy wrestling, and you could make an argument for some that have made the cross over into films, like the Rock or Hulk Hogan being at the show, but this just opens the floodgates.

Showmasters have to make money fine, so on that tack why not invite Nadia from Big Brother, or Kelly Holmes, our Olympic Gold Medal Winner. I am sure loads of people want to meet them .

Wrestlers are TV stars.

I don't mind WWF....or WWC now. I used to watch it. But I don't want to meet any of them. If I was that keen on wrestling, I'd go watch a match as they do them quite often in the UK. Whereas other stars from films and TV shows, you wouldn't get a chance to meet them if it wasn't for conventions.

That's my opinion anyway. But I'm glad that wrestling fans will be happy.

Edited by Danni09

Likewise, I have no interest in wrestling but have no probs with them being invited. The guest coverage seems to be quite good to me - main stars from a few shows with other guests who have been on as guest stars. That seems fair to me!

• Moderators

Stacy appears on RAW on Friday nights, Bottom Line on Saturday midday, and maybe even on Sunday Night Heat sometimes! And of course the Pay-Per-Views roughly every month too!

Same goes for Test, but Andrew's injured right now as far as I know.

Therefore, TV ... think we qualify ;o)

They play characters on TV as much as anyone from Star Trek or whatever! I don't think there IS a line to be drawn to be honest ... if guests are gonna be popular, why not get them? U know, if Showmasters felt that a Big Brother contestant was going to be popular then maybe they'd get them! At the end of the day it's up to them to include who they think will bring good business to be honest.

And as for requesting people ... ur all free to request who the hell u want! :D

Laughing my ass off.

I went to Belgium years ago, that ain't exactly a cheap place to live.

Well, not cheap but not different from France, Germany or the netherlands. In my opinion, Great Britain is more expensive ! Usually, the prices are identical as ours but then it's £ instead of € ! Just look at the autograph prices : 15 EUR in general in germany, 15 £ in the UK. But hey, UK has the greatest conventions so I won't complain :D

Gotta go, see you later

Edited by lams9999

The inclusion of these Wrestlers is definetly a different track to the type of guests that have appeared before, and doesn't seem in the spirit of guests that have previously attended. If you don't draw the line some where, where do you draw the line.

Are we going to start to have other sports stars attending, like some other shows ? If we are , then fair enough, but lets be clear so we can all start putting in our wish lists for sports stars and the like.

Sure , some people enjoy wrestling, and you could make an argument for some that have made the cross over into films, like the Rock or Hulk Hogan being at the show, but this just opens the floodgates.

Showmasters have to make money fine, so on that tack why not invite Nadia from Big Brother, or Kelly Holmes, our Olympic Gold Medal Winner. I am sure loads of people want to meet them .

good on you mate for starting this topic, I was going to start a simular post but fears of being attacked by everyone stopped me :lol:

without being rude or posting something SM feel they should delete or edit, these guests seem to be of the genre you would find in Birmingham, sports stars ;)

GG I feel has made valid points in his post which I agree with :P [in regards to knowing SM have to make money etc] - ok so wrestling is on tv, so are the olympics and all other sports, does that mean we should expect more from the sporting genre in the future?

I know wrestling memrobillia is collectable, all the kids have the action figures and the toys and everything but it's a little like Carrie Fisher being £25, once one star does they will all want more, the same with wrestling stars, once you have a few [wrestlers/sports stars/others e.g. BB stars/randoms] and the flood gates [of this genre and the others mentioned, with regards to guest requests and SM getting guests] open, how or will they be shut?? :lol::D

[i am just asking, to be sure what you read is what I mean, if SM events are going to have other or more sports or other genre stars in the future and if so will that mean less tv/movie guests or extra guests :D]

I'm not a fan myself but it will save some money and hopefully deflect some guests away from queues I will be standing in :P

finally, people shouldn't feel they can't post this kind of topic, a forum is for discussion and this gives everyone a chance to say their thoughts and feelings, and, as people have pointed out, everyone is entitled to an opinion :D

surfy sah xx

EDIT - to add the stuff in [] to put accross better what I mean.

Edited by surfy_sah