DS9 - Video or DVD?

surfy_sah

hey guys I need some advice! :D

DS9 boxsets are half price at the mo in HMV and I can't decide whether to spend my money or not!

thing is I have so many videos that it doesn't seem worth it at the mo :wub: (all s6 and s7, most s4 and s5)

I like the cool little pics they make when they are all in a row :o

haven't got many of s1,2,3 but I'll never sell the ones I do have :P so I need some advice!

anyone got the DVD sets?

anyone know what extras etc you get compared to just the eps on vid?!?!

thanks in advance! :help:

surfy sah xx

I collected Season 1-7 when they were first released, got them for just under £60 a set and the extras arent anything special, nice to watch but there are not many you would want to go back and watch again but if you have the money go for them, I am personally going to wait until they release the complete boxsets later this year which contain all 7 Seasons in one set and if they are not to expensive I may pick them up.

Videos are on their way out and degrade over time.. It has to be the DVD but wait for a bit if you can....

I picked up the Next Gen sets around Xmas at less than half price..

With Voyager and later on TOS coming out, no doubt DS9 sets will be on offer..

Edited by dragonmate1

....release the complete boxsets later this year which contain all 7 Seasons in one set and if they are not to expensive I may pick them up.

hmmm?

have I been missing out?! :P have they done this for TNG?! ;) I have not seen them.... :P

when they usually rrp at about £80 PER SEASON, how much are you expecting to pay for ALL the seasons??

surfy sah xx

ps-thanks peeps! still torn though as had some of these tapes for YEARS!! :D

They did release all 7 Seasons of TNG in a single boxset but I have read news about TNG and DS9 being released at the end of this year in complete Series boxsets, dont have anymore info yet but hopefully they will be brand new sets and not just the standard discs in a new sets, it may explain why some places are selling off the current sets at nearly half price.

They did release all 7 Seasons of TNG in a single boxset but I have read news about TNG and DS9 being released at the end of this year in complete Series boxsets, dont have anymore info yet but hopefully they will be brand new sets and not just the standard discs in a new sets, it may explain why some places are selling off the current sets at nearly half price.

I would hate to guess at what those boxsets are going to be when they get released - to much money for me to think about.

At the mo Im collecting all the vids as I can get them so cheep, then when the time comes and the dvd's get to a more resonable price I will be going for them.

I have three dvd boxsets at the mo but as I said before I did get them for a great bargain, less then £30 each.

LLAP :wub:

I'm just passing, OK! I'm not here to stay! ;)

If you have a multi-region player, for God sakes buy the R1 DS9 DVD sets. You can buy them on e-Bay from US sellers for the equivalent of £40 each including postage.

The most important thing is that the picture quality is better AND certain episodes which were cut to shreds on the UK sets are UNCUT on the R1 release. And the packaging is smaller, a lot more practical, and takes up less space on the shelf!

If you're wondering why the picture quality is better, it's complicated, but basically stuff shot on NTSC video loses quality when transferred to PAL format. This was quite a major issue with some people when the early TNG seasons were released in the UK.

As the Colonel said, the extras are disappointing on the DS9 sets, but there are plenty of them. Some nice archive and new interviews though. The S7 set extras are the best, as there's a nice little documentary on the final episode wrap party.

Respect

Admiral Bear

I'll tell you what though, unless the guest lists for both C6 and particularly LFCC start improving, I might be going permanantly!

Apart from Schultz, Spiner, Dorn, the Face Man and Ron Pearlman, neither event's really blowing my skirt up at the moment. . .to paraphrase Charlton Heston from True Lies :D

But hopefully the best is yet to come. . .hmmm, that's put me in the mood for a bit of Vic Fontaine . . .now where's my James Darren CD?

Respect

Admiral Bear

Edited by Admiral_Bear

Bear.. I'm surprised.. I think SM do very well in the Trek stakes.. Of course it could be better, but I'm not complaining..

With the two events coming up, I will get to see a fair number of Trek people that I've not seen before and that is going some as I have met a great deal.

Hopefully I will also get an opportunity of a pic with Michael Dorn & Brent Spiner (this time!!)

Barbara & Gwyneth

Gary Graham

Ron Perlman

DWight Schultz

Brent Spiner again is fantastic

MIchael Dorn

and a few regulars Marina (always a joy for me) and Walter.

Considering that we have a lot of guests still to be announced, Trek is doing well..

Of course, Jeri Ryan would completely make my year!!!

PS don't forget Jennifer Lien!!

Edited by dragonmate1

For comparrisons between the UK and US releases of TNG, DS9 and Voyager check out www.dvdcompare.net, they compare the sets and tell you which is the best to get, in some cases the R2 sets are the best with exclusive extras but in other cases like Season 4 of DS9 the R2 release is cut where as the R1 release isnt so its always a good idea to check out anything you are thinking about buying on their site first so that you know you will be getting the best.

As for the list of guests announced so far I thought the line up was pretty good, between C6, LFCC2 and another London event im going to have an empty bank account by the end of November lol

Bear.. I'm surprised.. I think SM do very well in the Trek stakes.. Of course it could be better, but I'm not complaining..

With the two events coming up, I will get to see a fair number of Trek people that I've not seen before and that is going some as I have met a great deal.

Hopefully I will also get an opportunity of a pic with Michael Dorn & Brent Spiner (this time!!)

Barbara & Gwyneth

Gary Graham

Ron Perlman

DWight Schultz

MIchael Dorn

and a few regulars Marina (always a joy for me) and Walter.

Considering that we have a lot of guests still to be announced, Trek is doing well..

I don't go solely to see Trek guests, Dragon. . .some big name general sci-fi/action/Bond guests would be more than welcome.

There aren't many people from Trek that I've not met, so guests from other areas of film and TV would be more than welcome.

Respect

Admiral Bear

And just to say, the R1 season 4 set of DS9 is worth buying just to see the Jem'Hadar neck break execution scene from "To the Death" which was totally cut out by the BBFC.

The BBFC also heavily cut "Sons & Daughters" by about 27 seconds. The entire episode is shown on the R1 set.

Respect

Admiral Bear

Bear.. I'm surprised.. I think SM do very well in the Trek stakes..  Of course it could be better, but I'm not complaining..

Barbara & Gwyneth

Gary Graham

Ron Perlman

DWight Schultz

MIchael Dorn

and a few regulars  Marina (always a joy for me) and Walter.

I don't go solely to see Trek guests, Dragon. . .some big name general sci-fi/action/Bond guests would be more than welcome.

There aren't many people from Trek that I've not met, so guests from other areas of film and TV would be more than welcome.

Respect

Admiral Bear

Fair enough Bear.. I go principally for Trek, but because of all the other guests, I have expanded my collection to others as well..

Bearing in mind (excuse the pun!!) that we are nowhere near the complete guest line-up, even non-trek guests appear to be shaping up nicely..

Ron Perlman (ignoring his Trek role) is a major player in a new movie and likely to be a series of movies..

Amanda Tapping - main cast Stargate

Billy Dee Williams (assuming he shows up) middle range for Star Wars

Richard Hatch - Main cast BG

Margot Kidder - Co-star in all Superman films

Sam Jones - Main star of Flash Gordon

Kane Hodder - much requested Jason..

Gary Graham - main star of the Alien Nation Tv series

Already we are heading toward a pretty good line-up with lots of lead actors already ... and as I said.. they've not done yet!!

And just to say, the R1 season 4 set of DS9 is worth buying just to see the Jem'Hadar neck break execution scene from "To the Death" which was totally cut out by the BBFC.

The BBFC also heavily cut "Sons & Daughters" by about 27 seconds. The entire episode is shown on the R1 set.

Respect

Admiral Bear

I wish you hadn't mentioned this..

Our censorship laws really p*** me off.. It is so unfair!!!

I'll tell you what though, unless the guest lists for both C6 and particularly LFCC start improving, I might be going permanantly!

Apart from Schultz, Spiner, Dorn, the Face Man and Ron Pearlman, neither event's really blowing my skirt up at the moment. . .to paraphrase Charlton Heston from True Lies :lol:

But hopefully the best is yet to come. . .hmmm, that's put me in the mood for a bit of Vic Fontaine . . .now where's my James Darren CD?

Respect

Admiral Bear

I admit to forgetting Gwynny and Babs at LFCC2. Have wanted to meet them for quite a while!

I suppose Sam Jones is really well known, but let's face it, he's done nothing of any note before or since Flash. . .Much like most of the original Star Wars cast except Harrison Ford! I suppose on that basis, Sam will be at least £30 a signature! :firedevil:

Anyway, Timothy Dalton would be much appreciated as would Famke Jansen (Star Trek, Bond & X-Men), and the Hasselhoffmeister for much 80's tv reminiscing!

Not to mention Jonathan Frakes. Fresh from the critical mauling of Thunderbirds, he'll probably be glad to be among friends! :lol:

Respect

Admiral Bear

they now have TNG boxsets in WHSmiths for £34.99 if anyone is interested, I was quite tempted but they didn't have the early seasons and I want to start from the beginning B)

gunna try here back at uni next time I'm in town, fingers crossed! :lol:

surfy sah xx

ps-I like the Vic Fontaine eps on DS9, they are cool, spesh "His Way" (6.11) :P

pps-I think we as Trek fans are doing VERY well for guests for both upcoming events, ok so maybe they are guests some/alot of you have met before, but it in perspective, there are no yet announced guests from LotR or HP and other big wants on the forum. Trek fans have the most names next to SW which is celebrating the DVD release so we should be chuffed!!! :P:rolleyes: (GM!!)

• 2 months later...

Incase anyone still wants DS9 or Voyager on VHS, I have a few tapes that I am getting rid of, found them in my wardrobe and dont need them so thought I would offer them on here before they go on ebay.

The videos are...

Star Trek Deep Space Nine - Vol 7.13 (What You Leave Behind)

Star Trek Voyager Movie 1 And 2 - Future's End/Basics

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 1.2 (Parallax/Time And Again)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 1.4 (Eye Of The Needle/Ex Post Facto)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 2.9 (Deadlock/Innocence)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 3.6 (Macrocosm/The Q and the Grey)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 3.9 (Unity/The Darkling)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 4.7 (Waking Moments/Message In A Bottle)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 4.13 (One/Hope And Fear)

Star Trek Voyager - Vol 5.8 (Dark Frontier) (Pts. I & II)