Horror Films (Part 2)

theoden_of_rohan

From the following, please choose yoour favourite!  

41 members have voted

1. 1. From the following, please choose yoour favourite!

• Misery
    • The Others
    • The Wicker Man
    • Scream
    • The Silence of the Lambs
    • The Blair Witch Project
    • Rosemary's Baby
    • The Birds
    • Pet Cemetary
    • The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, like The Exorcist, transcends the horror genre. It is a brilliant piece of art on so many levels.

The use of sound, the angle of the camera in so many sequences, the editing...everything about it builds a feeling of paranoia - especially on the big screen with a good sound system.

On its simplest level, it explores the most primal and sadistic urges within people - the hillbillies are much more frightening to me than any imaginary spook, devil or demon that has been conjured. Then I must point out I am an agnostic, and as such find most religious-driven horror hilarious - with the exception of The Exorcist - which although is partly about religion has a lot more superstitious folklore in its story than just Christian bible stories.

The fact is that reality is much more frightening than fantasy. The likes of Nightmare, Hallowe'en, Friday 13th, Scream, etc are a lot of fun - and provide thrills in the same way as rollercoaster rides. Real horror is far more human.

If you don't believe me, check out some books and documentaries about Ed Gein - the real-life farmer who inspired Texas Chainsaw, Freddy, Jason, Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and many more...

:D

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, like The Exorcist, transcends the horror genre. It is a brilliant piece of art on so many levels.

The use of sound, the angle of the camera in so many sequences, the editing...everything about it builds a feeling of paranoia - especially on the big screen with a good sound system.

On its simplest level, it explores the most primal and sadistic urges within people - the hillbillies are much more frightening to me than any imaginary spook, devil or demon that has been conjured. Then I must point out I am an agnostic, and as such find most religious-driven horror hilarious - with the exception of The Exorcist - which although is partly about religion has a lot more superstitious folklore in its story than just Christian bible stories.

The fact is that reality is much more frightening than fantasy. The likes of Nightmare, Hallowe'en, Friday 13th, Scream, etc are a lot of fun - and provide thrills in the same way as rollercoaster rides. Real horror is far more human.

If you don't believe me, check out some books and documentaries about Ed Gein - the real-life farmer who inspired Texas Chainsaw, Freddy, Jason, Buffalo Bill in Silence of the Lambs and many more...

:D

I know all about Ed Gein.

Thats someone i've had a huge interest in for ages. I've read books , seen films etc.

I have a thing about serial killers in general but Ed Gein is always one that's appealed to me.

I cant choose! EEK! :headscratch: Can we just have Freddy V Jason up there :angel:

You are joking arent u? That film was awful!

Personally for me I would have to choose Misery, but Im not voting yet because I havent made my mind up! The Others is also good - eerie!

I cant choose! EEK! :blink: Can we just have Freddy V Jason up there :blink:

You are joking arent u? That film was awful!

Personally for me I would have to choose Misery, but Im not voting yet because I havent made my mind up! The Others is also good - eerie!

Yeah, Misery is great...Kathy Bates is brilliant in that film!!!!!

Plus, I agree with ya on The Others - loadsa people hated it, but I really enjoyed it :D

i voted for Misery as it has always been a favourite of mine :o

I saw a stage production of Misery...it was just the two actors for the entire 2 hour show, in an amazing revolving house/stage!

It was incredible - very eerie, dark and realistic!

Would love to see that again! :(

...that sounds f***ing amazing!

:blink:

where was it?

I chose Blair Witch Project - it put the eebie jeebies right through me, there was no way i was going to bed on my own that night i watched it.

Yeah, I thought the last 10 minutes were especially scary!!!

I never did understand the ending though, couldn't fatham out what happened and why that guy was stood facing the wall. most weird.

I chose Blair Witch Project - it put the eebie jeebies right through me, there was no way i was going to bed on my own that night i watched it.

Yeah, I thought the last 10 minutes were especially scary!!!

I never did understand the ending though, couldn't fatham out what happened and why that guy was stood facing the wall. most weird.

LOL you doughnut!!!

You'll have to watch it again and listen carefully next time - bet you were pissed when you watched it!!! :angel:

I thought my heart was going to jump out of my chest it was beating so much during the last bit of the blair witch project! It was only because that I heard that the ending was supposed to be one of the most terrifying things ever, which it wasn't. I guess in a way the hype worked, but looking back it's only an average film.

• 3 months later...