Latest Event Announcement - YA Books to Film Panel

• Showmasters Admin

YA Books as Films Panel

Featuring Waterstone’s Children’s Laureate Malorie Blackman, Meg Rosoff, Anthony McGowan and Lucy Christopher

YA-Panel_zpsa2a4233f.jpg

Following on from the worldwide success of the Twilight and Hunger Games film adaptations, there has been a surge in the number of young adult books being given the Hollywood treatment. This year has already seen Cassandra Clare’s Mortal Instruments hit the big screen, and upcoming releases include Veronica Roth’s Divergent, Marcus Zusak’s The Book Thief and Orson Scott Card’s Ender’s Game.

Waterstone’s Children’s Laureate Malorie Blackman has brought together a panel of young adult authors to discuss the appeal of making teen books into films, including the crossover appeal for adults, the process of adaptation, and the highs and lows of watching your characters and stories be converted for celluloid. Joining her is Meg Rosoff author of the multi-award-winning How I Live Now, which has been made into a film directed by The Last King of Scotland’s Kevin MacDonald and starring Saoirse Ronan, which will be on general release from Friday 4 October. With them on the panel are Booktrust Teenage Prize winner Anthony McGowan, whose novel The Knife that Killed Me was recently filmed in the UK, and Lucy Christopher whose award-winning novel Stolen is currently being adapted for the screen.

Tickets for this Panel are free and can be collected on a first come first served basis from the talk area from 9am on Sunday morning. Books will be available to buy and authors will be signing copies at the show.

This panel has been curated by Waterstone’s Children’s Laureate Malorie Blackman with support from Booktrust and London Film and Comic Con.

Is this the big announcement for Sunday, looks like Showmasters have been working hard on this one for a while.

I don't think so - They would have shut down the announcement thread if it was. Though this is a great addition and I for one will be getting a ticket for it.