140 replies to this topic

#1 timelord81r

timelord81r

Special Effects Co-ordinator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:26 AM

A 2 page spread on how expensive and bad collectormania london was, berating the guests as unknowns and showmasters and the guests worse than bankers for charging fans and that things were sold out when they got in.

idiots, thats what the online store is for, and of course we have to pay, we would all love it to be completly free but lol, what world are the sun living in?

still its publicitry none the less but they obviously have no idea how the event works or how the fans feel.

this was a brilliant event with great guests!!!!!! the sun are idiots

First convention LFCC 2009

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour."

"The quest for the grail is not archaeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the earth"

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought!"

#2 DavidB

DavidB

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 96,728 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:30 AM

I'd be very interested in reading this if anyone's willing to scan it in. I'm not paying for it, and I can't find it on their website beyond a banner suggesting I buy the paper.
http://www.facebook.com/DavidB6937

http://twitter.com/DavidBedwell

Long signatures mean you're going to Hell.

Posted Image

#3 Bohan_

Bohan_

Art Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,557 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:42 AM

just read it, one of the worst reviews I have ever read in terms of an organised event - embaressing stuff :P
"A man who limits his interests, limits his life" - Vincent Price

#4 timelord81r

timelord81r

• Members
  • 5,646 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:44 AM

Na i didnt buy it either, someone at work had one and i was perusing it whilst eating a bacon sarnie this morning.

yer it was really bad and one (incorrect) sided.

yer i looked online but couldnt find anything to link

First convention LFCC 2009

"Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves, that if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will still say, This was their finest hour."

"The quest for the grail is not archaeology, it's a race against evil. If it is captured by the Nazis, the armies of darkness will march all over the face of the earth"

"There are some corners of the universe which have bred the most terrible things. Things which act against everything we believe in. They must be fought!"

#5 Count Fooku

Count Fooku

Composer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 10:55 AM

Don't be surprised at anything that rag ever prints, they have stooped far lower than this in their time:

http://www.anfieldroad.com/dont-buy-the-sun/

[img]http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:N_2aFRCIG9-nvM:http://www.fillergallery.co.uk/rawk/dbs_hjc.gif[/img]

Edited by Count Fooku, 04 December 2009 - 11:21 AM.

"You might very well think that, I could not possibly comment"

"Got a rabbit to pull out of your hat Percy? You've got that 'Britain-can-make-it' look about you. Very intimidating."

#6 1of2

1of2

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,777 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:11 AM

I'd be very interested in reading this if anyone's willing to scan it in. I'm not paying for it, and I can't find it on their website beyond a banner suggesting I buy the paper.

If I get chance I will grab a copy at lunchtime and scan it in.
Online shop queries: shop@showmastersevents.com
General queries: info@showmastersonline.com
1_Showmasters_forum.jpg

#7 DavidB

DavidB

• Moderators
  • 96,728 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

Excellent, thanks :P

Posted Image

#8 Alx

Alx

• Members
  • 5,610 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 11:45 AM

Im willing to bet money that this article has stemmed from the other primary board topic... Otherwise it would have been released on Monday!

Alex
my old signature was worse than riding a horse on your head with a twisted spine so this is a tempoary adjustment.

#9 dufresne

dufresne

Assistant to Director

• Banned
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:00 PM

Interesting point. It could have been considered for the paper earlier in the week and there was no room or they decided not to bother (it was the "dead donkey" that got dropped) but friday's papers tend to be more entertainment heavy, and they would argue that it's better reading towards the weekend.

Although I take your point that there are enough wheels-within wheels for this to be the old school tie saying "don't f*ck with the phonejacker".
Wanted : Kris Kristofferson, Anna Paquin, Victor Garber, Adam Baldwin, Michael Ironside, Tanya Roberts.

Lost guests - especially John Terry, Michael Emerson and Terry O'Quinn.

LOTR Guests - especially Bernard Hill, Sala Baker, Ian Holm, Hugo Weaving and Peter Jackson.

There's something wrong with the world today. I don't know what it is. Something's wrong with our eyes.

#10 Princess83

Princess83

Locations Manager

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:04 PM

I imagine, without meaning to generalise, most people who read The Sun aren't people who would ever dream of attending conventions anyway (sneer at and mock them, though, yes), so I can't imagine any business will be lost or any harm done to SM because of one article in this pathetic rag.

The Sun isn't worthy enough to line my cat's litter tray, let alone to be ever taken remotely seriously.

Definitely nothing to lose sleep over.

#11 dufresne

dufresne

Assistant to Director

• Banned
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:11 PM

Yes the paper is like marmite - but it's read by (tens of?) MILLIONS of people daily. One thing it will do is make anyone with a passive interest seek out more info on SM events. I can't see it putting anyone off ....
Wanted : Kris Kristofferson, Anna Paquin, Victor Garber, Adam Baldwin, Michael Ironside, Tanya Roberts.

LOTR Guests - especially Bernard Hill, Sala Baker, Ian Holm, Hugo Weaving and Peter Jackson.

There's something wrong with the world today. I don't know what it is. Something's wrong with our eyes.

#12 Count Fooku

Count Fooku

Composer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:18 PM

Perhaps another consideration is I understand Showmasters have taken out paid advertisments in the s*n before now (maybe even for the CM London show).

Perhaps SM will consider not paying for advertising space in that rag in future if this is the sort of coverage they are going to recieve.
"You might very well think that, I could not possibly comment"

"Got a rabbit to pull out of your hat Percy? You've got that 'Britain-can-make-it' look about you. Very intimidating."

#13 angelkitty

angelkitty

Wardrobe Supervisor

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:20 PM

I imagine, without meaning to generalise, most people who read The Sun aren't people who would ever dream of attending conventions anyway (sneer at and mock them, though, yes), so I can't imagine any business will be lost or any harm done to SM because of one article in this pathetic rag.

The Sun isn't worthy enough to line my cat's litter tray, let alone to be ever taken remotely seriously.

Definitely nothing to lose sleep over.

Totally agree! I've not read it (because I really, really won't buy, read or touch the Sun if I have to), but most of the readership won't be thinking of Cons, other than to go 'Look at these sad ppl, they really think they are something special with their 'sci-fi'. They are just nerds'

*giggle* They fail to realise that the g33k shall inherit the earth *giggle*
Glamour first, glamour last, glamour ALWAYS! No rollers in public, never be seen in flats and shoot on sight ANYTHING wearing BEIGE (Vegas in Space)

#14 BYNSIS

BYNSIS

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:23 PM

theres usually a copy of the sun at work so I'm gonna have to read the article if its there!

I agree with you all though, the people reading it will see us all as nerds but frankly who cares? I love being a nerd if it means meeting my fave actors and actresses =D

#15 DavidB

DavidB

• Moderators
  • 96,728 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:24 PM

Considering the celebrity culture surrounded newspapers like The Sun, it's probably more likely to get a few people thinking "wow, I could actually meet .." than "why would anyone want to do this?!" ..

Did they not do something similar with Music Mania or some event?

Posted Image

#16 DarknessHayz

DarknessHayz

Camera Operator

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:25 PM

I dont buy the Sun anyway, its always slates my football team, so I dont buy it....
x Birmingham City FC Carling Cup Winners 2011 (27th Feb 2011) x

#17 TerraHawk

TerraHawk

Art Director

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,223 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:28 PM

I think the basic thing is if you aren't in the club, you just won't see the appeal of paying for autographs. It is a niche market the masses have no interest in understanding. It's no coincidence the guests are made up of certain genres - they are also niche markets. All of which can be looked down upon as 'sad', easy to mock. Someone I work with likes sci-fi, but thinks I'm nuts paying for autographs - and that's from actors he's heard of. (I'd get the Star Wars tea lady if I could!) real life astronauts £100 a time, he understands.

I dare say the effect is amplified in London, many a 'celebrity' will sign for free at a theatre, premiere what have you.

Still you have to see the irony of worrying about misrepresentation from one individual, to only then be stabbed in the back by the invited press. I doubt it somehow.

Live by the sword die by the sword. Be happy with what you have rather than trying to be bigger and better than before by seeking the free publicity of the masses. Good and bad.

Although I take your point that there are enough wheels-within wheels for this to be the old school tie saying "don't f*ck with the phonejacker".

Well yes I did think the idea of getting into a public slanging match with an actor, a production company and a TV company could do more harm to relations than the incident itself. If they are your source of income.

I can understand people worrying on guests' behalf (past and future), but I'd hope that guests would look at where it was published and, like me, go 'pfft'.

They get paid, I doubt they care in that way. But even in the other thread there were people who didn't want to be seen on TV, as if attending an event is something to be ashamed of. I'm not ashamed to attend(past caring) but I wouldn't want certain people knowing how much the things cost me. They'd disown me

all IMO

#18 Queen_Sindel

Queen_Sindel

• Showmasters Admin
  • 19,914 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:31 PM

Did they not do something similar with Music Mania or some event?

I can't remember if it was The Sun. But yes, pretty much the same thing happened with MusicMania.
Warning: Fangirl alert
Likely to squee at high frequencies!
-----------------------------
CSI Audio/visual labrat
Officially approved Alexis Cruz stalker
Founder of the Sadistic Quizmaster fan club

#19 dufresne

dufresne

Assistant to Director

• Banned
  • 7,741 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:32 PM

They kicked the sh12 out of MusicMania - to be fair though, even SM accept that this was a bad idea. They had a few decent guests, but an event full of ex-boyband members and the like was never going to get praise heaped on it in the press.

In terms of entertainment stories, tabloids only care (perhaps understandably) about what's hot NOW. I wouldn't mind, but the Music Mania guests were probably all over their pages a few years earlier. Entertainment is a fickle industry - we don't see it because most of us on this forum and who attend the events are much more into pop culture than the "general" public.

#20 Brockie76

Brockie76

Best Boy

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 155 posts

Posted 04 December 2009 - 12:33 PM

I've just read it!!! what a pile a cack!!!!!
I have never EVER read so much rubbish in my life!!!!

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users