Guest Cancellation Robia LaMorte

showmasters

• Showmasters Admin

we are sorry to inform you all that Robia LaMorte has decided not to attend this event

we had hopped to have a replacement guest to put up at the same time as taking her down but we could not get the next guests contract signed in time

so we are sorry to have lost her but a new guest will be up soon and than we can start with the full line up

jason

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope to see more guests added to this event over the next year, I wonder if Robia cancelled when she realised she was the only one down to attend so far? maybe she'll come back once more get added :WAVE:

It's a long way off so I'm not worried about guests just yet.

It’s a shame she cancelled as I haven’t met Robia before. It is a little bizarre how the only guest has cancelled only a month after she was announced given that the event is over a year away. I’m a huge fan of all things Whedon and think this con has great potential but I think I’ll wait until at least 4 guests are announced before buying any tickets. It takes a lot of faith to buy a ticket for a con that doesn’t have any guests announced and is more than a year away from taking place.

Edited by Evil_Faith

funny, it states what I was thinking... was she ever comming anyway, because the way it was announced on her site implied she was never going to attend.

I'm very disapointed and I've spend money worth more than a month rent on my house on my ticket :(

they better make it up with some Amber/Aly goodness or I get cranky, veiny, flay-y and end-of-the-world-y

edit: I just watched one of those Robia-preaches video thingies and she's good! cool.

I'm not a Christian, never will be again, but every religion holds wisdom and power and she finds it and had the talent to express it to others and I like the way she pulls it off. Couldn't she come to Hallowhedon and do something like this :unsure: Halloween has Christian roots after all, maybe she could just come anyway, to explain the origin of Halloween (A)

Edited by DorothyOverTheRainbow

It IS all very weird... but I've been on here for years and met Jason a fair few times and I highly doubt he'd pull a stunt like that. Plus, if you were going to announce a guest to pull in the numbers, wouldn't it be someone a bit bigger than her?? No offence to her or her fans... but shes a wee bit tiny in the show compared to others!!

Most likely exp is that it was done by agents etc behind her back. She then said no, and they took their time in telling SM (and as with a lot of actors, she prob thought her word meant it was final instantly) and then SM didn't take it down instantly, as they've said, as they wanted to combat our disappointment with another guest.

Yea, shes quit acting, blah... she'll still need her "people" to arrange when shes doing these religious things and to sort her site! She'll have a manager, an agent, a PR, a website team etc etc. So her website team prob kicked into gear, and not her agent. These things happen.

This ISN'T like midlands- there is a year to go- people won't be in a rush to get tickets! And if ANYONE is booking a ticket, on the basis of one guest, this far in advance, they need to have a serious talking to anyway!!

Edited by Lizzy

I'm very disapointed and I've spend money worth more than a month rent on my house on my ticket :unsure:

To be honest there's a long way until the event and there are so many more people they could get that would be a bigger pull than Robia (with all due respect), I wouldn't fret too much at this stage.

it's not that I (litterally) put all my money on just Robia, it's more of a thing in which I'm afraid there won't be any guests I like, I tought Robia was a good start, is all. But now she isn't comming for obscure reasons and you know, it's my first real con (only been to Colector Mania so far) so I'm probably just freaking for nothing... I hope

Lol i dont know why anyones worried, its a YEAR away, hats a WHOLE YEAR to pull in the guests lol.. and the not buying the tikets till theres guest, thats a wise decision but if they get someone like james M or someone big, they might sell out pretty fast, iv seen how insanly popular james is.

It is a bit strange it being on her website first, it was most likely just a missunderstanding and then when things were resolved SM didn't want to show she cancelled without having a replacement - probably not to disappoint people and so as not to have this "con" artist speculation! Then we found out and they had to tell us rather than keep us hanging.......... i'm just glad it's cleared up and we know she wont be there rather than having the annoying wait for information!

I've got total faith in SM i loved all the collectormanias and look at the HUB, it was a raging success!...and let's face it they have had loads of great Joss Whedon guests, this really does have the potential to be an awsome event!

Ellie

xxxxxxxxx

I'm one of the people who posted in support of Showmasters at Whedonesque, largely because I find it annoying that people who have probably never been to one of their events have decided to label them con artists.

Yes, the announcement on Robia's website does raise questions and goodness knows there are enough conspiracy theorists around to ask them. But you only have to look at the guests that SM/ME have managed to get in the past to see what they're capable of.

And as I said at Whedonesque, and others have said here, if I was running an event and decided to make a false (or, let's say premature) announcement in the hope of some quick ticket sales, I'd pick a bigger name than Robia.

If you look on the first guest announcment, jason has explained to people a little more what happened :)

I think people are idiots to ever call SM con artists, like they ever need to con people, there events are always outstanding.

If you look on the first guest announcment, jason has explained to people a little more what happened :)

I think people are idiots to ever call SM con artists, like they ever need to con people, there events are always outstanding.

I absolutely agree that Showmasters don't need to pull this kind of stunt (they have nothing to gain and everything to lose), but it's not just people being idiots, or being malicious. Less respectable organisers trying to put on Whedon events in the past have used this stunt before and it's tarnished the reputation of everyone who tries to organise a Whedonverse con. Those disreputable organisers have rightly all disappeared off the con scene entirely, but their legacy stays in the minds of the people they wronged, making them quick to judge others to the same low standard when there's even the faintest whiff of a scandal. It's unfair but it's happened a couple too many times for some people to have faith that it's not just the same thing happening all over again.

Showmasters' track record stands for itself as proof that they're not fly-by-night con artists.

Edited by erykah

Unfortunately its a fact of conventions that guests do cancel, just a shame that its the first guest but there are 12 months left so loads of time.

SM have already got us loads of buffy guests this year so we know they can get them - we have had amber,mercedes, charlie, james,tony,emma, and nick from buffy and several firefly guests too plus all the past guests they have worked with too.

I think we should just look forward to the next guest being signed up. I am sure some of cast wont sign up till next year anyway as it may be too early for them to commit but i am sure the event will be great whoever attends and i look forward to the announcements over the coming months.

Edited by buffy2k