Security at the show

mcgill

Hello

Thanks for another interesting event - although it's a shame so many people cancelled on the Sunday at the last minute.

A comment/plea for the next event. Please can you sort out the security. I'm aware of a number of people who get into the events for free, by just walking into the event. Please can you ensure that people are on the door to check tickets etc. It's grossly unfair to those of us who pay good money to get in, if others are allowed to get in for free.

Edited by mcgill

• Showmasters Admin

The problem with the Radisson is there are too many ways to get onto the floor we use, also we do not rent the corridors and so other residents do have the right to walk about the hotel. So it's impossible to enforce it on that floor.

We then looked at enforcing it on the doors, but then we use too many rooms with too many doors to have people on every entrance and exit to them. And in some cases we have guests on the atruim which has no real doors at all.

So we came up with ans idea to combat this, what we did this time was that we made sure anyone that went to see the guests, either for a photo or an autographs was checked to see they had a show badge. There may have been other people about but they did not have access to the guests. Only people with show badges had that access. We decided this was the best compromise.

Edited by Too Tall

I'll tell you how to make sure it doesn't happen at the Radisson: put ALL the Astro-guests in the one big room! Even with the ASF tables taking up half the space :huh: , there was still room for Lovell & Scott (and Sir Patrick!) Then you'd've needed just one guard at each of the two entrance doors! :thumbup: And Gerry & Vance wouldn't have gotten so bored on Sunday!

Edited by shearwater

Apolagies it should have. I will make sure of it for the next show.

I'm glad you'll be reviewing it in future; I was slightly concerned that myself and my two friends put our badges in our bag the moment we bought them, and none of us were ever asked to display it to get any of the autographs or photo sessions we went to.

Aside from that I thoroughly enjoyed the event. It was nice to go to a relaxed one for a change. Very pleasant after a grueling experience at a Docklands-based event the day before.

I'm guessing that either I picked the wrong times on both days to pass by (or enter) Dave/Jim's lair, but I doubt I saw much of a queue at any time for either. I think Gerry and Vance could have easily fitted into THAT room, leaving the ASF and other space dealers room to trade.

As for that other event, I heard it was a bit busy, mostly mixed with comments about the numbers of folks who go in costume.. and wondering what brings someone to think it'd be a great idea to do that..

I really did try to enforce the badge rule this weekend. I had several excuses as to not wear them when i challenged some people. From 'I dont like things hanging around my neck' to 'I dont want to be laughed at having it on show'. I do apologise to anyone who thought i was being rude asking them to show it at all times, but for peace of mind, It was only fair that I did for those people who paid to enter the show as opposed to hotel guests and general public roaming around looking to purchase autographs.

In future may I suggest some people who don't like things hanging round their necks to possibly bring a clip with them..? readily available from all good stationers, whereby you can attach the pass to either your belt loop or a pocket on a shirt or blouse. So long as you have it on display 'somewhere' on your person will be fine. Other than that I really do thin the new measures put in place were fair and just.

Edited by DisneyDude78

Whats wrong with 'something' hanging around your neck? I was miffed I forgot my Inmarsat neck ribbon, oh hum.

I was a bit disappointed at the tags, I was hoping they would have some fancy graphics and be worth saving, although I will keep mine, guess you should pick different colours though for the next events as people will be bringing them and sneeking in after checking the colours ;o)

I would say Our Lass came in with me, but she was not interested in meeting people and autographs and just carried my bags.

But whats to stop 'A Out Sider' talking to a guest in the corridors? We had a great ten-minute chat with 'Johny' Johnson. We could not get away! He wanted to talk, any one at the hotel (and out side) could have chatted to the guests.

As for Dave Scott and Jim Lovell sat looking bored, two thoughts, a) there price while theres a credit crunch people are skint and :unsure: they have been before and every one went for there autographs then, Jim Lovell last year and Dave Scott at Birmingham had huge queue's, but not this year.

Tell you what, I enjoyed the event and will be at Birmingham.

Regards and bests

von Dawson's Express

I really did try to enforce the badge rule this weekend. I had several excuses as to not wear them when i challenged some people. From 'I dont like things hanging around my neck' to 'I dont want to be laughed at having it on show'. I do apologise to anyone who thought i was being rude asking them to show it at all times, but for peace of mind, It was only fair that I did for those people who paid to enter the show as opposed to hotel guests and general public roaming around looking to purchase autographs.

In future may I suggest some people who don't like things hanging round their necks to possibly bring a clip with them..? readily available from all good stationers, whereby you can attach the pass to either your belt loop or a pocket on a shirt or blouse. So long as you have it on display 'somewhere' on your person will be fine. Other than that I really do thin the new measures put in place were fair and just.