Guest attending BERNARD CRIBBINS

showmasters

I realise that we are only 2 weeks away from this event but just thought I would mention/ ask.

Seeing as Bernard Cribbins is attending… and guests at Autographica were able to meet Jennie Linden and Barrie Ingham.. Any chance we can get Roberta Tovey or Jill Curzon… lets not forget that Mr. cribbins had met the Daleks before ‘The Stolen Earth’ :D

Right so a lot can happen in two weeks can it?

Well, at the moment I’m not amused I must say… speaking as someone that has had 3 guests cancel (one of them twice in so many weeks) and a whole convention last month cancelled having made arrangements for it… I just hope that the guests will be ‘stars’ from Doctor Who and not from a show that is an anagram of its title. More companions or from the films please!

I don’t want a refund, I would rather attend a show that has great guests that I want to meet, after all arrangements have been made.

Thank you

Well, at the moment I’m not amused I must say… speaking as someone that has had 3 guests cancel (one of them twice in so many weeks) and a whole convention last month cancelled having made arrangements for it… I just hope that the guests will be ‘stars’ from Doctor Who and not from a show that is an anagram of its title. More companions or from the films please!

I don’t want a refund, I would rather attend a show that has great guests that I want to meet, after all arrangements have been made.

Thank you

Right. 3 More Torchwood guests…. So will the Torchwood convention be having loads of Doctor Who guests now?

I realise that we are only 2 weeks away from this event but just thought I would mention/ ask.

Seeing as Bernard Cribbins is attending… and guests at Autographica were able to meet Jennie Linden and Barrie Ingham.. Any chance we can get Roberta Tovey or Jill Curzon… lets not forget that Mr. cribbins had met the Daleks before ‘The Stolen Earth’ ;)

Thank you

Right. 3 More Torchwood guests…. So will the Torchwood convention be having loads of Doctor Who guests now?

Very true.... I must admit these guests are a little bit of a let down after losing a main actor from the current season of Dr Who

I went to last year's Bad Wolf and the attendees there were all incredibly lovely and happy to meet anyone from Who or Torchwood no matter what part they played. There was a real feeling that everyone was just there to have fun and meet other fans who were interested in the show and the guests (many of whom had appeared at many, many, many events over the years and who would probably be loudly decried as uninteresting on these forums as a result) were somewhat incidental.

Obviously it's disappointing that Bernie Cribbins has cancelled but this constant outcry whenever a guest cancels and the demand for new main cast guests is sometimes quite painful to watch.

You've got two Doctors, the Doctor's daughter, a significant player in series 3, an actress who has played two key roles in New Who as well as several Torchwood cast attending - it's a nice line up by most convention standards. Why not simply be happy for once?

Or name the convention The Hub 2 perhaps? Or invite several Doctor Who guests to the Torchwood event organised on the 17th - 19th October? I’m sure many guests would love Colin Baker on a panel there wouldn’t they? I read ‘Bad Wolf’ I think, “Doctor Whoâ€

When Bernard Cribbins cancelled the last event I was told that he would be attending this one… I appreciate that these things happen, but I am not impressed by replacing a main Who character with 3 bit players from another show.

Your right it quite painful to watch, that’s now 2 events were the guests have cancelled and a whole convention cancelled in the span of 3 months. ‘Why not simply be happy for once?’ Love to, give me a reason to be happy and I will. I do have fun and meet other fans who were interested in the show (I too was at last year's Bad Wolf but it was to get Eric Robert’s signature) However the reason I pay my money and stay in a hotel in another town is because I collect signatures… That’s my hobby… meeting and greeting other fans is a plus of this collecting game.

• Moderators

The Hub 2? As this is a Tenth Planet event, I wouldn't have thought that'd be a good idea. Plus it's not a purely Torchwood lineup is it? Far from it. They may well have a section on this forum, but I think you need to separate the different organisers etc.

As for "replacing" - who's to say the guests they have now weren't planned already? No-one has once said "as a replacement for ..." as far as I'm aware, or have they? That's just your assumption.

In the end, there's still time for them to get someone else, but they do have to work with who's available etc. It's not an endless pool of guests after all.

It's a shame they're not to your tastes, and I know it's disappointing when someone you want to meet cancels, but all you can do is try and make the most of what you've got.

I do understand the opinion though: Bad Wolf is advertised as a Doctor Who event (it even says so on the website: "Bad Wolf is an unofficial Doctor Who event"), and it is not advertised as being Doctor Who/Torchwood.

I understand there are a lot of fans of both shows, but that's not to say that Doctor Who fans would pay to meet Torchwood guests. Essentially this is false advertising, because you're saying the event is for one show but providing five guests from another.

If it’s on a Showmasters forum… the guest cancellations/ announcements are made by Showmasters to me it’s a Showmasters event.

‘As for "replacing" - who's to say the guests they have now weren't planned already? No-one has once said "as a replacement for..." as far as I'm aware, or have they? That's just your assumption.’ Well, we shall see after the event wownt we? Lets hope I’m wrong eh? And we get loads of great guests from the classic series and the films… ;)

I didn’t come on here to complain I have taken it fairly well considering (You should see me when Lalla Ward cancels for the 5th time) I am looking forward to going.

But I was responding to what lisa2004 said ‘I must admit these guests are a little bit of a let down after losing a main actor from the current season of Dr Who’ I think it’s only fair to voice our opinions a) It’s a forum :spew: We have paid our money. I don’t think it’s fair to make us out as if we aren’t happy about anything.

• Moderators

But then I suppose you get into the argument of 'what is Doctor Who?' - i.e. is it the Original Series? the New Series? any spinoffs? audios? books? etc etc.

If we're going to get down to the fundamentals of 'false advertising', it'd be tricky to pinpoint exactly what is and isn't considered as appropriate under the wide 'Doctor Who' universe.

And yes, I'm only being pedantic for the sake of the argument.

If it’s on a Showmasters forum… the guest cancellations/ announcements are made by Showmasters to me it’s a Showmasters event.

Nope, it's a 10th Planet event - they too have the guest cancellations/announcements on their website. Showmasters stated in this thread

we are helping out our good friends at 10th Planet who are running the BAD WOLF Convention
:spew:

True, it is on the forum, but SM can still "help" just by promoting the event to a wider audience which is what they're technically doing......

And if it was a joint effort then I'm sure they'd actually say they were both running it, rather than just 10th Planet :spew:

But then I suppose you get into the argument of 'what is Doctor Who?' - i.e. is it the Original Series? the New Series? any spinoffs? audios? books? etc etc.

If we're going to get down to the fundamentals of 'false advertising', it'd be tricky to pinpoint exactly what is and isn't considered as appropriate under the wide 'Doctor Who' universe.

Not really. "A Doctor Who event" is simply defined as an event for fans of Doctor Who. Doctor Who is the new series, the classic series, and the audio books, as all have been titled "Doctor Who".

Yes, you can get specific and say "New Series Doctor Who" etc, but that is not stated on the website. This event is simply described as "Doctor Who", which encompasses all I have just said. Spin-off series are not titled "Doctor Who"; that is plain and simple to understand. Yasmin Paige at London Film is not a Doctor Who guest because she is in Sarah Jane, and I'd bet no one who solely watches Doctor Who will be paying for her autograph to add to their collection.

Edited by vampireslayer3