guests and sharpies

Stupid question here... But are guests OK signing with other colour sharpies than what they have on the desks? I normally only have whatever they have on the table. The poster I have is black background and I have lots of pretty colour sharpies that I thought would break up the usual gold, silver and blue. Also I had a problem with silver last year.

Can't see that it would be a problem. Make sure you have the pen ready for when you get to see the guest and hand it over with the item you want signing. You then just need to make sure you mention that you would like them to use that pen rather than one of those on their table.

• Moderators

Do be aware that most non-metallic sharpies whatever the colour don't really show up well on a black background (thus why the standards for dark backgrounds are silver and gold). Coloured paint pens show up nicely but take longer to dry so require a bit of extra care.

There's a certain type of marker pen that shows up. I keep forgetting what they're called in English. It takes some time to dry, but it looks pretty nice. Let me see if I can find mine.

Color sharpies will show up okay on light backgrounds - white, beige etc. Blue can already be a problem.

• Moderators

Other colours show up really nicely on light backgrounds - basically as long as the colour is darker than the background it will show up. (My autograph book and theatre programmes I get signed in all sorts of fun colours.)

Some guests do have a problem with blue sharpies due to them apparently being the colour of choice of fraudsters. Karl Urban refused to sign my Star Trek / Dr McCoy picture in blue for this very reason.

Last year I had a little problem with a pen colour request at Carrie Fisher's table. I had asked the crew member for a specific colour but due to it being very busy, and being rushed through the line, the crew member couldn't get the message through Carrie's 'entourage'.

So if you are planning on meeting a popular guest be prepared.

Brought gold and bronze so hopefully will be ok

Gold seems to dry up pretty quickly, at least that seemed to be the consensus in an older discussion about metallic sharpies we had on here a while ago. :lol: I do love the bronze one though.

Some guests do have a problem with blue sharpies due to them apparently being the colour of choice of fraudsters. Karl Urban refused to sign my Star Trek / Dr McCoy picture in blue for this very reason.

The story I always keep hearing is that blue is the colour of dealers.

Last year I had a little problem with a pen colour request at Carrie Fisher's table. I had asked the crew member for a specific colour but due to it being very busy, and being rushed through the line, the crew member couldn't get the message through Carrie's 'entourage'.

So if you are planning on meeting a popular guest be prepared.

I had this issue too, although the message did get to her, she still ignored it.

Brought gold and bronze so hopefully will be ok

Gold seems to dry up pretty quickly, at least that seemed to be the consensus in an older discussion about metallic sharpies we had on here a while ago. :lol: I do love the bronze one though.

The story I always keep hearing is that blue is the colour of dealers.

I stand corrected on the blue sharpie statement. Now I think about it I think you're right in it being the colour for dealers.

On the subject of the bronze pen I got to agree it doesn't dry up quickly and personally I prefer it to the gold. I bought a pack of 3 metallic (Gold, Silver & Bronze) and have found that the bronze pen is the only one that hasn't kicked the bucket!

The only reason I can think of is maybe that of the most common colours that were available it's the best that stands out on a variety of different coloured pictures and dries the fastest unlike the silver and gold?

Tests have been done not only on paper but also on glass and it has been proven that for a period of 15+ years blue was the only colour that did not fade or crumble whereas the black and silver either turned a bit yellow around the edges or the ink simply did not hold it's colour. When you are a dealer or collector that is vital, well it should be unless you're in your twilight years and don't plan on living long. For most people they absolutely WOULD want their signed items to last 15 years and beyond.

There are many people and this includes singers too that simply will not sign anything with a blue sharpie. For many years it has been famous with dealers and it's up to you what you want to do. I guarantee you if a guest doesn't pick blue themselves..........and i'm pretty sure that is why at most tables there is black and silver, i'm pretty i know the reason why guests don't have blue pens at their table.......if you hand them blue a lightbulb goes off in their head and you cannot stop that from happening even if you are the most grateful loyal loving fan in the world, it wont change what goes through their head. Now that's of course up to you. You might be fine with paying a lot of money to meet a guest and getting your signature and not giving one hoot about what they think or don't think about you but for most people, even though they probably will never see that guest again, they probably want that guest to think of them as being a genuine fan, not someone who has DELIBERATELY brought a blue pen with them to sell on. You just can't stop them thinking that.

Go and google it if you want. Even Showmasters know that. If there was really nothing to it there would be plenty of blue pens at the guests tables, of course there isn't because there is good reason for it.

Edited by thewizard