Showmasters Winter

andini

Keep looking at London, Cardiff and Milton Keynes but can't help us horror fans are being neglected. Whenever I meet horror guests at these events they are always very popular, so I still scratch my head at why this genre is so overlooked, especially when there are many popular dedicated events around Europe and America.

• Like 1

Yep, my thoughts exactly.

Although these events do lack in quantity, we usually do get a couple of decent horror guests. Since LFCC there has been no horror guests at all.

There are loads to choose from, for example:

Rose Mcgowan is doing cons in america this year, as well as Tobin Bell.

We still haven't had Graig Sheffer rescheduled (although I understand he recently cancelled an appearance due to a bereavement), or try and get a Nightbreed reunion since the Directors Cut is soon to be released this month.

The winter show could have also had guests from the Halloween movies, another missed opportunity.

Not forgetting the cast of the Nightmare On Elm Street franchise who all have had a keen interest since one of our members here contacted them on social media.

So yes, I agree, horror is definitely being neglected in comparison to all events SM have held before LFCC 2014.

No one knows who is available or costs etc. So to say there's plenty to choose from simply ignores all the other factors unfortunately.

I understand all the other factors that go into booking a guest, but you can't honestly say that SM cannot find one single guest in that genre for all upcoming events this year.

There are literally guests who are out there who are saying "hey, pick me, I want to be there".

I see other cons managing this so I'm finding it hard to believe why SM can't book any.

No one knows who is available or costs etc. So to say there's plenty to choose from simply ignores all the other factors unfortunately.

There are more horror movies made than any other genre by a country mile so I would say there's plenty to choose from.

• Like 1

There are more horror movies made than any other genre by a country mile so I would say there's plenty to choose from.

This!!

Also to note, horror is the 2nd most profitable genre (in terms of dvd sales, merch etc.) just below Disney.

There is a massive fanbase out there.

• Like 3

This!!

Also to note, horror is the 2nd most profitable genre (in terms of dvd sales, merch etc.) just below Disney.

Absolutley, if the power rangers get their own con then there can be no argument that a horror con would do well. The horror genre is the biggest seller on blu ray after new releases by a mile. Power rangers?? i mean come on.

• Like 3

This!!

Absolutley, if the power rangers get their own con then there can be no argument that a horror con would do well. The horror genre is the biggest seller on blu ray after new releases by a mile. Power rangers?? i mean come on.
lol

So who is everyone planning to meet this weekend from a Horror perspective ?

Lance Guest (Halloween 2)

Fred Williamson (From Dusk Till Dawn)

Wendy Padbury (Blood on Satans Claw)

Andrew Rothenburg and Michael Koskey (The Walking Dead)

Lalla Ward (Vampire Circus)

Colin Salmon - Aliens Vs Predator

Antoinette Bower - Prom Night

Traci Lords - Blade

C. Thomas Howell (The Hitcher / The Hitcher 2)

Edited by GoldenGreen

• Moderators

'Horror' as a genre is, as people have said, extremely wide. Problem with doing genre-specific conventions is that they're often TOO wide.

You laugh at Power Rangers but the fanbase for that is HUGE and has been for years. Clearly people aren't aware of how passionate those fans are and how the show has kept going for years and years, gaining new fans and also keeping the old ones also.

To choose guests from the ENTIRE genre of Horror is very difficult because that's like having an Action con or a Romantic Comedy one. If someone attended one, it doesn't mean they love every single film/tv thing out there under that genre. You can understand why Power Rangers would have an appeal over its fanbase, but Horror is a more difficult thing to pin down.

As for the other factors I've mentioned - availability, costs etc. No one seems to even bother taking those into account. If SM don't feel that it's financially viable to do a convention, I'm pretty sure they probably have more of a clue than most of we do about running events. They're not going to run themselves into the ground.

'Horror' as a genre is, as people have said, extremely wide. Problem with doing genre-specific conventions is that they're often TOO wide.

You laugh at Power Rangers but the fanbase for that is HUGE and has been for years. Clearly people aren't aware of how passionate those fans are and how the show has kept going for years and years, gaining new fans and also keeping the old ones also.

To choose guests from the ENTIRE genre of Horror is very difficult because that's like having an Action con or a Romantic Comedy one. If someone attended one, it doesn't mean they love every single film/tv thing out there under that genre. You can understand why Power Rangers would have an appeal over its fanbase, but Horror is a more difficult thing to pin down.

As for the other factors I've mentioned - availability, costs etc. No one seems to even bother taking those into account. If SM don't feel that it's financially viable to do a convention, I'm pretty sure they probably have more of a clue than most of we do about running events. They're not going to run themselves into the ground.

Respectfully disagree with all of that. Theres no history of action or romantic film cons. And honestly horrors fanbase is 10x bigger than power rangers, its not even close. and the fact that horror guests will more than likely have non horror credits is a positive not a negative. Horror is big buisness with devoted magazines, websites and cons all over. Go into forbidden planet and the horror stock will outnumber power rangers stock by 100x. If SM don't want to do a horror con then thats fair enough but to say theres no call for it carries no weight in fact ive only ever heard you on this forum say that. Its sm loss, i would pay £300/400 for an all inclusive weekend pass with top guests like Carpenter, Craven, Barker. Believe me i, like others in this thread am quite knowledgable on horror and it would be rammed with fans because theres a gap in the marketplace. Showmasters should fill that gap.

• Like 3

Respectfully disagree with all of that. Theres no history of action or romantic film cons. And honestly horrors fanbase is 10x bigger than power rangers, its not even close. and the fact that horror guests will more than likely have non horror credits is a positive not a negative. Horror is big buisness with devoted magazines, websites and cons all over. Go into forbidden planet and the horror stock will outnumber power rangers stock by 100x. If SM don't want to do a horror con then thats fair enough but to say theres no call for it carries no weight in fact ive only ever heard you on this forum say that. Its sm loss, i would pay £300/400 for an all inclusive weekend pass with top guests like Carpenter, Craven, Barker. Believe me i, like others in this thread am quite knowledgable on horror and it would be rammed with fans because theres a gap in the marketplace. Showmasters should fill that gap.

This! I couldn't have worded it better.

You only have to look back at this years LFCC to see how populer George A Romero was. Other cons are doing it right because they are booking the right guests, with the right business strategy, that will attract everyone. I'm not even talking about the American cons, Germany took the right approach and are now one of the biggest in Europe attracting 1000s from around the world. Horror is a genre like no other; they have their own dedicated film distributors, successful magazine/book publications, multiple premiere film festivals, etc. You don't get that with 'action' or 'comedy', they're simply not marketable, so they should never be compared to horror at all.

This thread is to not complain about a lack of a 'horror con', but the fact that SM are overlooking the genre when booking guests this year.

Last year's events we were treated to quite a variety of guests but we have had nothing since LFCC.

• Like 4

Tobin Bell is someone I would love to meet, along with Costas Mandylor and Cary Elwes! A Saw reunion in general.

That said, Tony Todd attended the last Collectormania. Sadly I didn't get to meet him, but with credits such as Candyman, The Crow, and the Final Destination franchise, he made an absolutely amazing guest! Would love to see him return one day so that I can meet him.

• Like 1

There needs to be more horror guests Theres clearly a huge demand for it not even for its own con but just a few guests with in a showmasters event would be nice the horror genre stands its own ground the fanbase is somthing amazing and theres a reason why america has taking the horror cons on board because of its demand and the guests love it i mean Bruce Campbell steals the show at the grand daddy sandiago comic con hes the king of conventions and yes horror he even has his own convention like its crazy, ireland and the uk is craven for it see what i did there, lol. But anyway theres more horror cons than any other comic con out there in the world so what does that tell you. I dont understand why showmasters doesnt look into this abit more, if film4 can do it with fright fest then so can showmasters especially with its status now. Plus i hear from some the showmasters crew from belfasts event that there coming back to belfast on the 31st october and its going to be halloween themed so fingers crossed :)

Edited by Pinhead1987
  • Like 1

I quite agree, more Horror guests are always welcome. This time last year we did have some good Horror guests lined up for the Collectormania Winter show, Lance Henriksen, Scout Taylor Compton, Judy Geeson etc but sadly not looking Horrific at all this year.

It is always going to be expensive to fly over the American guests and maybe wouldn't make financial sense for some, but if you could bag a John Carpenter or a Wes Craven they are going to pull the punters in and off the back of them have guests from one of their films or franchise it could become a more realistic financial option.

• Like 1