national rail question

DJachmed

hey folks,

quick question:

I would love to visit some star wars filming location when I am in england so I need to use the national rail but I am shocked about the price for the trip. last year I used them for a trip from london to birmingham and it was like 10 GBP; two years ago we were going to thorpe park via london and it was 8 GBP; now it is 23 GBP for just one track and half the distance > it is london to newbury and return, just 50 minutes and makes nearly 50 GBP for both?

is it normal or is it me making a mistake or so?

thanks for any advice!

I really tried everything, different dates and times but nothing, always the same price

I just think its crazy that you have to pay so much a for an short track than for a real distance like birmingham, but I guess its the way I have to go...

I really tried everything, different dates and times but nothing, always the same price

I just think its crazy that you have to pay so much a for an short track than for a real distance like birmingham, but I guess its the way I have to go...

Pricing in England is crazy mucked up. Different companies own different areas and the prices do vary. Times of the day mean different prices. Days of the week mean different prices. It is the price of going private from a state owned company that I used to work for some 27 years ago!!

Monday to Friday during rush hour times are usually more expensive. You can usually get it a bit cheaper booking in advance and traveling out of rush hour times. I've had a really quick look and on GWR website (not knowing which london station you would depart from) you can get a return ticket for £23.80. That's the total price for 1 person there and back, so yes if there are 2 of you going it would be about £56 in total.

Unfortunately rail travel in the UK is expensive.

One tip to get tickets slightly cheaper is that if you are in London and have a Zone 1-6+ travel card you can ask for a national rail ticket from Zone 6 boundary to your destination rather than from Liverpool Street or Paddington for example. I've got an annual rail card for the line I use into London which has zone 1-6 underground travel built in to it. If i'm then going out of London on another line I show them my annual ticket so they can see I've got the underground cover and ask for the new ticket that way and it can work. Even though National rail isn't the underground system you have effectively paid for your travel out of london to the distance the underground goes out too.

Hope that made sense.

Unfortunately rail travel in the UK is expensive.

One tip to get tickets slightly cheaper is that if you are in London and have a Zone 1-6+ travel card you can ask for a national rail ticket from Zone 6 boundary to your destination rather than from Liverpool Street or Paddington for example. I've got an annual rail card for the line I use into London which has zone 1-6 underground travel built in to it. If i'm then going out of London on another line I show them my annual ticket so they can see I've got the underground cover and ask for the new ticket that way and it can work. Even though National rail isn't the underground system you have effectively paid for your travel out of london to the distance the underground goes out too.

Hope that made sense.

Ah yes, the wonders of the network. Get this

Ealing Broadway - Newbury costs £18 return. Off peak day return.

But that includes one change - Paddington!

So it's £5.80 cheaper to use two trains than it is to just use the second one on it's own.

might be better to hire a car, then you have complete flexibility and you won't need public transport between the main train stations.

And that will be way more expensive than a train and expense is what the OP is trying to keep down.